PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff and oily hair - how to manage it?

Bubblebeam
July 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Hi all. This is my first post to the site so hope I've got this question in the right section and such.

This is a question for my husband, who has a simple short spiky cut, but regardless of length or style he has a weird mix of bad dandruff and oily hair. He uses antidandruff shampoo but it does little for the dandruff problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for this? We're in Australia I should mention. :mad:

Obsidian
July 30th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Can you check his shampoo for the active ingredient? They can have different medicines, some are better than others.

pailin
July 30th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Oily hair and dandruff frequently go together. How often does he wash it? And I agree that it would be useful to know what kind of shampoo.

meteor
July 30th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Lots of dandruff and very oily scalp? Sounds like it might be SD? :hmm: I'd go to a doctor if you can't control it with OTC stuff. Has he tried Nizoral 2% or any other ketoconazole-based shampoo? Or selenium sulfide-based Selsun Blue? I'd recommend going with anti-fungals. And with anti-dandruff shampoos/treatments, it's very important to stay consistent and to follow instructions to a T to completely clear the problem. The good thing in this particular case is that most anti-fungal shampoos are somewhat drying, so should do double duty for combatting both and dandruff and oiliness.

Here's a good article on this: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

Some shampoos that could help control excessive oiliness are Garnier Ultra Doux with soft clay and lemon, Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing with saliylic acid and of course, Nizoral...

But if he can't control this after consistently using effective anti-dandruff shampoo, I'd see a doctor and maybe get a prescription for something stronger or maybe it will turn out it's some other skin issue.

lapushka
July 30th, 2016, 03:07 PM
But if he can't control this after consistently using effective anti-dandruff shampoo, I'd see a doctor and maybe get a prescription for something stronger or maybe it will turn out it's some other skin issue.

This! ^^ If it is seborrheic dermatitis (SD), he will need a doctor and a prescription to a medicated shampoo. Normal dandruff should be able to get cleared away with a normal anti-dandruff shampoo! It should've been gone already. So get some help, please. This is nothing to keep combating on your own when it is such an easy fix with some help. SD isn't the end of the world. I have it too. I'm almost 44 and I've had this since I was a baby. You need to seek medical help if it doesn't clear up on its own. :flower: Good luck.

If you don't tackle SD with appropriate measures, his scalp will suffer and hair will fall out more than it needs to. I shed bucket loads when my SD flares up.