PDA

View Full Version : Can your hair be too short to figure out the type?

Eas693
July 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
When I had longer hair in life it wasn't the healthiest, and I used heat every day to style, I never just let it dry naturally even before bed. Once my hair was short I promised myself to take better care of it. I'm growing out a pixie cut and am in a really awkward stage right now, but I'm realizing I might not actually have straight hair.

I'm not sure if it is because it is short and awkward or if I have waves I never realized. Can my hair be too short to type? Anyone in a 1c/2a range with short hair and pictures? The other thing is I have a lot of hair so it may be false because it's growing out in a wild ways and is a bit frizzy (coconut oil will
be happening soon).

Anyone else used to think they had straight hair?

pailin
July 30th, 2016, 10:04 AM
It's often difficult to type hair when it's still short; wave patterns need a certain amount of length to form. So you can take a guess at it now, but you'll probably need to reevaluate around APL or so.
And frizz usually means you have some wave.

missrandie
July 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Yes, yes it can. When I was growing out my pixie, I thought I was at most a 1b. Of course, then I started getting random flips and fluff. Then it was just the main flip, plus my previous bangs trying to curl up and stab my eyes. Then stab my nose. Then get in my mouth.

Pretty quick, they were touching under my chin.

Now, with my hair just at APL, I can tell better that I'm probably a 1c, with some 2a in there.

Once you have enough posts, go ahead and look through my album.. It'll show you what mine looked like at those lengths.

draysmir
July 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I've asked other people on here and they have considered my hair 2a at mid-back length. I used to have an awkward layered bob that was basically a grown out pixie cut, where my hair just had a flick or two, so yes you might have a bit of a wave too when it's longer! My hair is awkwardly flicky until around BSL, then it looks more properly wavy :)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/draysmir/IMG_2017ffghf%201_zpselckmli5.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/draysmir/media/IMG_2017ffghf%201_zpselckmli5.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/draysmir/IMGfghgf_2007_zpsm21xvvqw.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/draysmir/media/IMGfghgf_2007_zpsm21xvvqw.jpg.html)

They're not good quality pictures, sorry about that but that's what my hair looked like at its shortest. :)

Anya15
July 30th, 2016, 11:52 AM
At APL my hair basically looked like 1c.

Wavies have this problem, the waves are looser than real curls so they need a certain length to form. You can re-evaluate your type as your hair grows longer. :)

Obsidian
July 30th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Shouldn't you be able to at least see some kind of waves when shorter? Not necessarily enough to properly type but maybe enough to know if you are more then 1A?

lapushka
July 30th, 2016, 03:02 PM
When I had longer hair in life it wasn't the healthiest, and I used heat every day to style, I never just let it dry naturally even before bed. Once my hair was short I promised myself to take better care of it. I'm growing out a pixie cut and am in a really awkward stage right now, but I'm realizing I might not actually have straight hair.

I'm not sure if it is because it is short and awkward or if I have waves I never realized. Can my hair be too short to type? Anyone in a 1c/2a range with short hair and pictures? The other thing is I have a lot of hair so it may be false because it's growing out in a wild ways and is a bit frizzy (coconut oil will
be happening soon).

Anyone else used to think they had straight hair?

Could you post pictures of your hair, maybe, so we can attempt to hairtype? It may be too short. Usually we need at least shoulder/APL length to fully hairtype. :) But we can surely try!

Anje
July 30th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Shouldn't you be able to at least see some kind of waves when shorter? Not necessarily enough to properly type but maybe enough to know if you are more then 1A?

Probably that much, yes. But long wavelengths are hard to see on short hair. :)

Nique1202
July 30th, 2016, 05:46 PM
My answer is sort of a yes and no.

When my hair was just above my shoulders, even air-dried with no conditioner it looked entirely 1b/1c except for a couple of spiralling sections at the front. As soon as my hair passed shoulder length, it started to curl at the ends, starting by flipping up and continuing to curl from there. My hair still looks almost straight from my scalp down to my shoulders, and it's only below my shoulders that my waves and curls really start to come out and go full 2c.

So, hair can absolutely seem to change its type as it grows. I don't know if that necessarily counts as "too short to type accurately" though since that might just be the way the hair is. When my hair was above my shoulders it did seem to me to look and act like 1b/1c, so maybe it just changed as it grew.

Eas693
July 30th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Could you post pictures of your hair, maybe, so we can attempt to hairtype? It may be too short. Usually we need at least shoulder/APL length to fully hairtype. :) But we can surely try!

I"m new so I can't pot photos yet ( I don't think) Here is a few links though

This is me air dried for my mom's wedding with my son

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o581/eas693/13434946_10209557985163332_5069665477017077951_n_z psfosv68rr.jpg

Here is me July 3 after I used Henna: slightly blow dried to about 85% dry than the rest air

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o581/eas693/IMG_8853_zps7wpp4rgd.jpg

It's always a mess air dried and short sooo many flips and turns

Eas693
July 30th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Thank you everyone! So much good information to be found here.

AMmissrandie: growing out this pixie is so weird. I have a wave (?) right at eye level that makes everything weird to style. I also have cowlicks
one in the front with my bangs and one in the back. I need to post more to see your pics :-)

draysmir: Thank you for the pictures! They give me hope that my hair isn't out of control just wavy

Obsidian: I'm definitely not a 1a, I was thinking a 1b, but I am slowly being more confused the more it grows. I should have never did so much to it when it was long.

Nique1202: Interesting. I wonder how common change is with length. I guess it has to be normal with the weighting an of course for longer looser waves.

kattmara
July 31st, 2016, 10:51 AM
It can look very different depending on the length, my SOs hair looked completely straight but as it started to grow the "flips" appeared and at shoulder length he had spiral curls at the ends. Basically the first 10 cm are straight, the next 10 have tight waves and the bottom part spiral curls. I don't know why, it just air dries that way, I have no idea how this is possible since it is the same hair that looked straight when it was on top of his head before so I actually can't type him.

I myself have some differences to my hair depending on length with my 2A. The back looks straight when it is shorter (about shoulder) and the bangs did some loose spiral curls but the longer it got the more even the waves got.