PDA

View Full Version : Finger combing only in August 2016 challenge

Vanilla
July 30th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Straighties, wavies and curlies who do not currently use finger combing as your only means of detangling, this is a challenge for you! Your goal is to only use your fingers to detangling for the month of August.

I've tried this previously, and around day 3 is when I broke out the comb. Join me in this challenge.

HairPlease
July 30th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Funny, I just started using a comb last week. Already addicted. I better join this before it becomes a problem.

calmyogi
July 30th, 2016, 07:13 AM
I think I'll join this challenge, I'll be starting today though. I have always wondered what my curl would do if I didn't use anything but my fingers to detangle it.

vampyyri
July 30th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Would I be able to do this and use a tangle teezer on my bangs only? If those aren't properly brushed they don't fall into place properly :rolleyes: They don't count as part of my long hair, so they get semi-abused with daily washings and such xD

Vanilla
July 30th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Would I be able to do this and use a tangle teezer on my bangs only? If those aren't properly brushed they don't fall into place properly :rolleyes: They don't count as part of my long hair, so they get semi-abused with daily washings and such xD

That totally counts! Happy to have you join the challenge.

vampyyri
July 30th, 2016, 08:08 AM
That totally counts! Happy to have you join the challenge.

Awesome! Looking forward to it! :happydance:

Great idea for a challenge by the way, this one will be a toughie on me. I recently broke my habit of overbrushing, so a transition to finger combing only will only help further :thumbsup:

turtlelover
July 30th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I think I'd have dreadlocks if I tried to finger comb for more than a day! haha

trolleypup
July 30th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Fingers have been my primary method for a long time, but a final pass with a comb to get the last of the tangles and rake out sheds has always been the finisher...we'll see!

littlestarface
July 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I'm in, usually I use a tt before I shower but we'll see how it goes with just fingers.

lapushka
July 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I finger detangle during the week, and I only detangle with a comb/brush on Sunday, day 7, right before a wash. So, I guess I'm out of this challenge, because I do use a comb and a brush weekly. Has to happen!

ElvenEngineer
July 30th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Hmmm... wishing you all the best of luck! I already finger comb primarily; I recently bought a (wide tooth, seamless horn) comb, because there are certain application I don't find finger combing sufficient for (sectioning for henna or DC), and though I've tried it a couple times, I really don't like using it.

Deborah
July 30th, 2016, 10:27 AM
No can do. My hair is too fine and straight for this. I need a good comb and brush.

samanthaa
July 30th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Re: fine, thin, straight hair. Do any of y'all finger comb to good results? I'd like to try this out (maybe not for a month!), but I'm worried my hair will be piecey and thin looking!

Garnetgem
July 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Would join in only after a major shedding last year i have layers to grow..cannot see it working with layers it would tangle a lot..but best of luck all in the challenge!

missmelaniem
July 30th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Joining. I usually finger comb conditioner through my hair in the shower because I forget my comb. I normally take my tangle genie outside and brush (so I am not shedding all over the house) super thoroughly to get all of the loose hairs outta my head. I am willing to give that up for this challenge :)

Alma Petra
July 30th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Guys, I'm in. I am always trying to become totally dependent on finger detangling but I always end up using a wide tooth comb on my hair at the end of the week, because I start getting webbing between my curls, which doesn't go away with finger detangling. This time I'll try to ignore the webbing and see how worse it can get if I just continue to finger detangle.

Anje
July 30th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty tempted. Heck, why not? I know I can go 4-5 days without combing. I'll bet I can go longer if I hide the implements to force myself.

meteor
July 30th, 2016, 02:50 PM
What a cool challenge! :thumbsup: I've very tempted to join. :)

I know I can easily go 3-4 days without any detangling (I wear braided buns which keep tangles at bay), but I tend to comb a lot after a wash, so that moment will be challenging with fingers only, but I'll give it try. :D

lapushka
July 30th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I finger detangle, but I don't rake my fingers through my hair like a comb. OMG no! I separate the strands. So I separate my hair into two sections. Then each section into 3. That is how I get the sheds out. That is what "finger detangling" is to me. I don't do it on day 1, or on day 2, but as of day 3 I do. And then day 7 the comb/brush pre-wash. And a WT comb after a wash (after it comes out of the towel, before styling). That's it.

cathair
July 30th, 2016, 06:46 PM
'Tis the only way I detangle, has been for years now. Benefits of not having thick hair. I only use a comb to smooth the top bit when I make a bun. I'll be cheering you all on though :cheer:

Don't forget your nape hairs! :)

Olavi
July 31st, 2016, 12:28 AM
Interesting. I usually detangle my hair with fingers and wooden combs. We'll see how I succeed with preening without a comb or brush (and how I survive with incredibly tangly hair that apparently is in big need of clarifying).

Tassledown
July 31st, 2016, 01:42 AM
I might give this a shot! I do finger-only sometimes and it seems to work out okay. (I just hope I don't forget and comb accidentally.) Maybe I should get in my shower tomorrow and use the comb before I have to opt out, eh?
I'm wanting to replace my current comb with something gentler as it is but no idea where to find a quality detangling-specific comb. This could tell me if fingers are a decent replacement.

PoysinIvy
July 31st, 2016, 06:25 AM
I started doing this a couple of weeks ago when I started following the cg method, so I'm in! Although...I had to use a comb yesterday after rinsing out my henna - no way would my fingers have cut it for that.

Vanilla
July 31st, 2016, 02:51 PM
So glad to see so many people joining! I started finger detangling on Friday, and my hair looks and feels much happier since.

2 days of progress (bun waves)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvsxprrbc.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvsxprrbc.jpeg.html)

LadyAdelina
July 31st, 2016, 09:50 PM
Yay, I'm joining! I'm pretty good with finger detangling, but I will be curious to see what the frizzies around the top of my head do without flattening them with the brush. I'm also out of town for a week in August, so maybe I'll just leave my brush and comb at home! I'm always happy with one less hair accessory to pack. :bunny:

BoopBoop1
July 31st, 2016, 09:54 PM
I want to join! I used to do it a lot before.

XiaoBaiTu
July 31st, 2016, 09:58 PM
I'm in! I only use a brush on wet hair once a week to style anyway, I currently detangle only when wet and with gobs of conditioner to help my fingers along. I'll see how far I can get.

Good luck to everyone doing this!

Krytta
August 1st, 2016, 06:08 AM
I've actually been thinking about finger detangling more, so this challenge has come across at the perfect time :o
I'm in!

Arctic
August 1st, 2016, 07:23 AM
What a cool challenge! Good luck everyone! I probably could do this in theory, but I need a comb or brush to smooth my scalp hair when I put it up, otherwise I get scalp cleavage.

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 07:36 AM
I just realized that this will be super easy for me, because I'm doing the wear your hair up challenge simultaneously, my hair can't tangle when it's up :thumbsup:

Neverremember
August 1st, 2016, 08:28 AM
I just noticed today that my hair suddenly turned dry during my vacation. I guess the S/C I used here did not work for me or maybe the water is super hard. In any case, my poor tentacles feel parched. As soon as I get home tomorrow, I am doing a deep conditioning treatment and then one every ten days or so. I will also try finger combing only until the end of the month. I am sure I will get frustrated so, like vampyrii, I will also put my hair up and forget about it. Good luck!

Pamberpestana
August 1st, 2016, 08:34 AM
I think I'll try this! My hair is only between chin and shoulder length and I have tons of layers so I really don't need and combs or brushes, yet I use them! I think I over brush a lot of the time because it's just a habit and I'm not used to short hair. I think finger combing only will be very beneficial for me 😃

littlestarface
August 1st, 2016, 09:37 AM
So is today the first day then?

LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!

Olavi
August 1st, 2016, 09:47 AM
I started yesterday (because why not), so if I have to use comb today after clarifying, am I forgiven? :laugh:

Anje
August 1st, 2016, 10:44 AM
I put my combs and TT away on Saturday. :) We'll see how this goes. I might give myself a free pass if I need it after hennaing, but only if I need it. Very likely I won't.

jel
August 1st, 2016, 10:45 AM
My hair's been tangling a lot more in recent months, and seems to have become curlier than before. I'm joining this challenge to see if it helps!

zashin66
August 1st, 2016, 12:40 PM
I'm going to join. It will be hard though. My latest S&D was horrifying. Too many splits.....

zashin66
August 1st, 2016, 12:43 PM
I just realized that this will be super easy for me, because I'm doing the wear your hair up challenge simultaneously, my hair can't tangle when it's up :thumbsup:

Lol... I would join you on the wear your hair up challenge but I only recently got a bunch of new hair toys and am figuring out how to use them still. Once I get a repetoire going then I will join you in that. Some one here gave me advice to "put it up and forget it for a while", but I still am learning the howtos of updos.

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 01:18 PM
So is today the first day then?

LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!

Yay! :joy:

I already started the challenge a couple days ago, but I need to hide my comb... just in case ... to avoid temptation! :)

Good luck everyone! :cheer:

calmyogi
August 1st, 2016, 01:23 PM
Aaaaand.... We're off!!

vampyyri
August 1st, 2016, 01:25 PM
:cheese::eyebrows::cheer::deal: We got this!

gustavonut
August 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM
I have been using a tangle teezer for about a month and have been seeing breakage sadly, so this should be a good change.
Now let's just hope I stick to it. :eek:

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm trying to figure out what I'm expecting as an outcome a month from now... :) just to set a bit of a hypothesis to test during this experiment, maybe. :hmm:

I would imagine finger-detangling:

- might help reduce breakage and split ends formation somewhat (less abrasion by combs/brushes/other tools)?
- might increase clumping (clumped, defined curls/waves or more "grouped", less "separated" sections of hair)?
- might produce less polished smooth canopy surface, less oiliness and less shine compared to brushing (since there is no smoothing down action from combs/brushes and no oil distribution with tools)?
- might produce wavier/curlier/more textured look compared to the same hair combed/brushed out?
- might produce less frizz?
- might produce more volume at the roots (since no tools are smoothing down hair or spreading oils around scalp area)?
- might take significantly longer to achieve detangled hair (since no tools are helping detangling along)?
- might result in visibly fewer shed strands (since some shed strands might be still trapped in the mane, as it's harder to pick out shed hairs without any tools like combs/brushes)?

I am going to watch out for all these potential developments (or any others that I may notice), except I don't think I have any split ends or breakage, so I won't be able to judge # 1, but I'll still watch to see if I develop split ends or breakage or not. I'll be finger-detangling over white surface to see better.

Any other ideas what one could test or watch out for during this month? :?: :)

Also, Vanilla, what a great idea to take pictures to see changes! :thumbsup: Your hair is looking lovely! :applause

Vanilla
August 1st, 2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks all!

I've noticed that my scalp is less oily than it usually is 2 days after a wash. I think finger detangling may also let people stretch washes a little more comfortably.

The end of the day is nearing on the east coast. How did your first day of the challenge go?

My hair was not cooperating this morning, but I think it had to do more with the humidity than finger combing only. I braided it into submission with Arwen's battle braid. Was challenging without a comb to smooth out the ponytail. But I got tons of compliments today on my hair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3ab0ipq3.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3ab0ipq3.jpeg.html)

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM
^ Awesome, Vanilla! :thud: :applause Is that 3 braids braided together? :eye:

Oh yes :agree:, I agree, it should be easier to stretch washes, since there aren't combs/brushes to smooth and spread oils around too much - and this should keep the volume going for a while.

I just re-bunned the same braid today, I detangle only every couple days or so and wear braided buns 24/7, so it's pretty easy to avoid tangles. It's only the wash day that scares me a bit if I can't use combs. I might need to go back to washing hair in braids, just to avoid excessive tangling during the challenge, hmm... :hmm:

Vanilla
August 1st, 2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks Meteor. It's 4 English braids braided together in a flat 4 strand braid. Eats up tons of length. :)

Saturday was wash day for me. I used lots of coney conditioner and finger combed in 4 sections first, then under running water second. I also used Kinky Curly Knot Today as my leave in, after drying with a t-shirt. It does wonders in detangling wet hair.

Theoretically, I think finger detangling only will reduce my detangling time overall by the end of the month. If I end up having fewer splits, then there will be less that the hair can catch on to tangle against.

missmelaniem
August 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM
Mine has gone well! I just did CO wash today and am about to go oil. No hair tools of any kind used today :bluebiggr

littlestarface
August 2nd, 2016, 01:11 AM
I washed today, boy is it hard getting conditioner on dry uncombed hair. Fingers don't compare to a TT that\s for sure. Did everything with fingers, from CO to plopping and LOC, now i'm dead tired and have to wake up at 6am.

Tassledown
August 2nd, 2016, 01:21 AM
I have another few days before my next wash/detangling session, but I fingercombed on the 31st anyways, just because. I think that's a great list to check out! I'm gonna try to start collecting "results" photos now that I'll have somewhere to put them once I hit 25 posts to compare/contrast (and where I can't lose track of them and what I was doing with them...)

Hairkay
August 2nd, 2016, 01:44 AM
I already finger detangle and I've found

I would imagine finger-detangling:
- might help reduce breakage and split ends formation somewhat (less abrasion by combs/brushes/other tools)?

I can confirm this

- might increase clumping (clumped, defined curls/waves or more "grouped", less "separated" sections of hair)?

Definitely

- might produce less polished smooth canopy surface, less oiliness and less shine compared to brushing (since there is no smoothing down action from combs/brushes and no oil distribution with tools)?
- might produce wavier/curlier/more textured look compared to the same hair combed/brushed out?

It does though my hair is already textured.

- might produce less frizz?
Confirmed

- might produce more volume at the roots (since no tools are smoothing down hair or spreading oils around scalp area)?

- might take significantly longer to achieve detangled hair (since no tools are helping detangling along)?
I can't tell since my hair already has a lot of volume. I do preen and that does spread oils around. Detangling does take longer so make sure to put aside a good time for this. Relax then do it.

- might result in visibly fewer shed strands (since some shed strands might be still trapped in the mane, as it's harder to pick out shed hairs without any tools like combs/brushes)?

Yes I can confirm this but then sheds always have gotten half stuck in my hair. You have to start pulling the shed hairs out at the hemline first.

meteor
August 2nd, 2016, 07:49 AM
^ Thanks so much, Hairkay! :flowers: That's really helpful and great to know! :D

So far so good here, but tomorrow will be a mini-test for me: I'll see how finger-detangling fares after a scalp-only wash.
I only worry about potentially not being able to align all the strands nicely and maybe having little bumps/loops that I can't smooth out completely, but oh well, we'll see how it goes.... :)

Best of Luck, everyone! :cheer:

vampyyri
August 2nd, 2016, 07:54 AM
^ Thanks so much, Hairkay! :flowers: That's really helpful and great to know! :D

So far so good here, but tomorrow will be a mini-test for me: I'll see how finger-detangling fares after a scalp-only wash.
I only worry about potentially not being able to align all the strands nicely and maybe having little bumps/loops that I can't smooth out completely, but oh well, we'll see how it goes.... :)

I tested this one last night... and it was a clarifying wash (as I always do), so the tangles were kind of a pain to get out. But if you take it slow, you'll be okay!

Day one went well with the scalp wash and all, and I only brushed my bangs backward with my tangle teezer so they would fall into place.

Day two, my hair is up again, and I did the same thing with my bangs today. So far so good! :toast:

Lizzie.torp
August 2nd, 2016, 08:28 AM
I hope it isn't too late to join. I actually haven't brushed in August yet even though I'm becoming addicted to my TT. I think it's causing some breakage and I used to finger detangle. Let's see how it goes!

zashin66
August 2nd, 2016, 08:45 AM
I have another few days before my next wash/detangling session, but I fingercombed on the 31st anyways, just because. I think that's a great list to check out! I'm gonna try to start collecting "results" photos now that I'll have somewhere to put them once I hit 25 posts to compare/contrast (and where I can't lose track of them and what I was doing with them...)
I recently joined in May and I have hit over 25 postings but am stI'll unable to post pictures. I have been collecting them for me though. I am hoping to be able to post pictures soon. :)
:p:waving:

Pamberpestana
August 2nd, 2016, 01:51 PM
It's already day two and I keep almost grabbing a comb or brush since I have one in almost every room of my house. Perhaps out of sight out of mind?

littlestarface
August 2nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
I recently joined in May and I have hit over 25 postings but am stI'll unable to post pictures. I have been collecting them for me though. I am hoping to be able to post pictures soon. :)

Go to imgur or photobucket and copy the img forum code, then you'll be able to post pics.

My hair was a hot mess when I came home about 30mins ago, I ha to finger comb my nape and boy was that hard :/ I just ran cold water over it and separated it with my fingers and plopped, hopefully problem solved.

Anje
August 2nd, 2016, 03:16 PM

That's because it isn't in the user permissions to do that. ;) You'll need to use a photo hosting site. (imgur is easy and pretty good. Photobucket is popular.) I've got a link in my sig to a thread on how to post them.

Vanilla
August 2nd, 2016, 04:36 PM
I hope it isn't too late to join. I actually haven't brushed in August yet even though I'm becoming addicted to my TT. I think it's causing some breakage and I used to finger detangle. Let's see how it goes!

Glad to have you join! How did everyone's second (or first) day go? I wore my hair in a half up with a braid, and it was interesting to finger comb today and this evening to get those tangles out. I am doing a short session of S&D daily as well to see if finger combing only can truly reduce my split ends and white dots.

Hairkay
August 2nd, 2016, 05:05 PM

You're welcome.

Some people finger detangle with gloves on to ensure no snagging. I haven't tried that because although it will make things smoother I want to be able to feel for single strand knots and feel if my hair is dry or oily.

trolleypup
August 2nd, 2016, 06:24 PM
Detangled for washing which was a bit more laborious without the comb to pull out the sheds and resulting tangles. Washing was normal, other than an unsurprising larger number of sheds. Post was detangling was slightly more difficult than normal...still due to retained sheds. But it is nice now, just a bit fluffier than it would be with the usual finish combing.

Tassledown
August 2nd, 2016, 09:02 PM

*waves back* Nice to meet you too! Guess its time to recheck when you can start your blog on here then. Ah well. Collections are good, as it having a "first" challenge to record regardless!
(I'm avoiding Imgur and Photobucket personally because I hate learning new site interfaces, ick.)

vampyyri
August 2nd, 2016, 09:06 PM
Day two, down! :cheer:

Took a shower, detangled as usual with conditioner and my fingers... and since I quit brushing, I clogged the shower drain :shudder: :oops:

Into a braid it goes for sleep!

Anje
August 2nd, 2016, 09:20 PM
Last night I learned that my hair is easy to fingercomb after washing, even while still damp. I think fingercombing under the water flow as I rinsed out conditioner got it super smooth. I was a little worried pre-wash because it was getting stringy, but that resolved itself.

Shepherdess
August 2nd, 2016, 09:36 PM
I saw this thread a few days ago, and thought i would try doing this challenge, though it has been busy, so I didn't have a chance to post when I started. I have tried finger combing in the past and had some trouble with it at the time, so we will see how it goes this time. Yesterday I had some trouble getting out some snarls and matting right around the nape of my neck where my finer hairs are ( I always have trouble right around there for some reason), but was able to get it all out with my fingers alone with some heavy oiling at least. It's funny I don't pay attention to how much snarls I get in my hair until starting to finger comb again. Not sure how long I will last, but I love the idea of this challenge and hope it goes well for everyone doing it! :flower:

CurlyCap
August 3rd, 2016, 12:43 AM
Already finger detangling x years.

I honestly attribute it to largely why my hair has grown so long. I've saved a lot of hair by being patient and picking apart knots rather than using a tool to rip through them.

As my hair gets longer, it tests my patience. But I figure I'll adjust.

Olavi
August 3rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
I was bit worried it would be hard to preen and get the sebum closer to the ends, but it seems my worry was unnecessary. It has been slower, but I have managed to get sebum almost to the ends. And I'm pretty sure this is gentler method for that, too.

Oh, and I hid all my combs and brushes in the desk drawer. They are close, but out of sight, so I haven't accidentally used them.

Beborani
August 3rd, 2016, 09:10 AM
I do this for most part but I also need to use a comb to part hair close to scalp and make some adjustments to cover gaps-- don't have the luxury of letting hair fall where it may or there will be cleavage but no brush or comb runs through my length when dry. If I remember I run a comb through after applying leave in conditioner and after completely removing sheds but this happens rarely as I forget. In between wash days I wet the middle/ends with some product and gently remove sheds and that keeps sheds in shower to a minimum. I attribute my splitless length to not combing.

Alma Petra
August 3rd, 2016, 11:42 AM
So far so good. No significant tangling today. Maybe the fact that my hair is far from think is what's helping.

calmyogi
August 3rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
I'm dropping out. I broke down and used a comb today because my cowlick on the back was driving me nuts!

meteor
August 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM
Argh, I'm afraid I'm running into some problems already, so sorry. :( :oops: It took me almost an hour to detangle hair properly after a scalp wash, and the hair wasn't even tangled initially... The hair had some cobwebby, grabby areas where my strands are naturally the finest (around temple area), and I felt this constant need to grab something thin to just glide through in between the strands and I felt like I had to massively over-manipulate my hair to get to the same level of detangled result that I'm used to with a wide-tooth comb. It looks like I might have shed (maybe those strands got pulled out?) more hair than normal, possibly due to over-manipulation? :hmm:

Not sure if it's because my hair is ~54'' or iii+ or multi-textured or my fingers suck or what... :( But I feel like a combo of finger-detangling *and* a wide-tooth rake/pick is probably going to be the best approach for me... I don't know... I'll try fingers-only once or twice again... but I worry that my hair might actually get dreadlocked in some areas if I don't resort to adding some kind of comb/rake/pick to my detangling sessions pretty soon.

Anybody else having problems? Anybody else noticing if the process takes significantly more overall manipulation or more time?

Shepherdess
August 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Argh, I'm afraid I'm running into some problems already, so sorry. :( :oops: It took me almost an hour to detangle hair properly after a scalp wash, and the hair wasn't even tangled initially... The hair had some cobwebby, grabby areas where my strands are naturally the finest (around temple area), and I felt this constant need to grab something thin to just glide through in between the strands and I felt like I had to massively over-manipulate my hair to get to the same level of detangled result that I'm used to with a wide-tooth comb. It looks like I might have shed (maybe those strands got pulled out?) more hair than normal, possibly due to over-manipulation? :hmm:

Not sure if it's because my hair is ~54'' or iii+ or multi-textured or my fingers suck or what... :( But I feel like a combo of finger-detangling *and* a wide-tooth rake/pick is probably going to be the best approach for me... I don't know... I'll try fingers-only once or twice again... but I worry that my hair might actually get dreadlocked in some areas if I don't resort to adding some kind of comb/rake/pick to my detangling sessions pretty soon.

Anybody else having problems? Anybody else noticing if the process takes significantly more overall manipulation or more time?

I had this same problem the first day as well after my scalp only wash, so I can really relate to you here. I think that washing the scalp must cause a little extra friction and snarling, perhaps? Plus I had some trouble with matting around my finer hairs around the nape of my neck. I also felt like I was shedding more for some reason, and my scalp almost felt a little bit sore after finger detangling for so long, so maybe it was over manipulation? I ended up heavily oiling my hair to completely finger comb through all the snarls and matts, then the next day I lightly clarified and then conditioned it twice. It was a little easier to finger detangle today after that, so I'm not sure if I will stick to this challenge or not yet.

I sometimes tend to comb a little bit too fast with my wide tooth comb when I do though, so this challenge is helping me to learn some patience and remind me how easily my hair breaks, but still, not sure if I can stick to this for very much longer either, and I kind of miss my soft BBB for smoothing out my hair. :D I kind of worry about my hair becoming dreadlocked too, since my finer hair tends to get matted so easily. I'm not sure how to make them behave while finger combing other than getting them oily, which too much isn't exactly desirable either. I used to finger comb a lot more a few years ago without this much trouble, so I'm not sure why it is harder now than before.

littlestarface
August 3rd, 2016, 05:09 PM
Going good for me today, my hair is up with a stick. No tangles today.

Komao
August 3rd, 2016, 06:00 PM

I tried to detangle with fingers, only. Have been told less manipulation is best. I just can't do it with my hair. I start out with finger detangling and then use wide tooth comb and or TT. I need to do this everyday or hair will become a tangled mess. The good thing is that it stays nice and smooth and takes very little time each day.
I just had tried again this past week to detangle with fingers only & I had a big mess. I had small knots and my hair would have been much better off with my regular routine. Wish I could do this and good luck to those who try this out.

PoysinIvy
August 3rd, 2016, 06:06 PM
My hair is super fine and thin, so finger detangling has been easy. I can't even imagine what it's like for someone with thicker hair! Anyway, I condition upside-down and detangle before rinsing. Then I gently squeeze the water out and wrap it into a turbie twist for a few minutes before misting it with nightshade's detangler (best stuff evah), smooth some oil over the ends, and detangling again while upside-down. Then some aloe and a bit of scrunching and shaking to set the curl and I flip it over.

What I've noticed about doing all of this upside-down is that because the super snarly section of my hair (aka nape hair) is getting hit with conditioner and detangler first, it's holding on to it the longest, and I no longer get snarly. I can wear my hair down all day, go for 5 minute walks every hour in relatively high winds, and am able to easily slide my fingers through my hair without catching. It's weird, but I'm happy about it.

meteor
August 3rd, 2016, 06:09 PM
I had this same problem the first day as well after my scalp only wash, so I can really relate to you here. I think that washing the scalp must cause a little extra friction and snarling, perhaps? Plus I had some trouble with matting around my finer hairs around the nape of my neck. I also felt like I was shedding more for some reason, and my scalp almost felt a little bit sore after finger detangling for so long, so maybe it was over manipulation? I ended up heavily oiling my hair to completely finger comb through all the snarls and matts, then the next day I lightly clarified and then conditioned it twice. It was a little easier to finger detangle today after that, so I'm not sure if I will stick to this challenge or not yet.

I sometimes tend to comb a little bit too fast with my wide tooth comb when I do though, so this challenge is helping me to learn some patience and remind me how easily my hair breaks, but still, not sure if I can stick to this for very much longer either, and I kind of miss my soft BBB for smoothing out my hair. :D I kind of worry about my hair becoming dreadlocked too, since my finer hair tends to get matted so easily. I'm not sure how to make them behave while finger combing other than getting them oily, which too much isn't exactly desirable either. I used to finger comb a lot more a few years ago without this much trouble, so I'm not sure why it is harder now than before.

Thanks a lot, Shepherdess! :flowers: That's really great to know! :D And your experience sounds almost identical to mine. :agree: I also try to avoid over-oiling while detangling, because that would require more frequent washing and thus more manipulation.
I'll try to go with fingers only as long as I can, but if I buckle under the pressure of uncontrollable tangles, I'll switch to only minimalist use of comb/pick.

This is definitely a great challenge for learning to take time and be more careful while detangling! :thumbsup:

I tried to detangle with fingers, only. Have been told less manipulation is best. I just can't do it with my hair. I start out with finger detangling and then use wide tooth comb and or TT. I need to do this everyday or hair will become a tangled mess. The good thing is that it stays nice and smooth and takes very little time each day. I just had tried again this past week to detangle with fingers only & I had a big mess. I had small knots and my hair would have been much better off with my regular routine. Wish I could do this and good luck to those who try this out.

A-ha! Great point about the knots! I noticed that, too, especially the SSK. I'll need to watch out for those, for sure, to see if I get more or fewer of those.
Thanks a lot, Komao! :flowers:

XiaoBaiTu
August 3rd, 2016, 10:05 PM
So I don't detangle everyday (curly hair ;)) but I did detangle during and after washing yesterday and this is what I found:

-I can feel the texture of my hair much better using fingers. I was interested to find that my length is soft and slippy from leave-in conditioners, but the hair near my scalp is dry and grabby since I shampoo my scalp and don't put conditioner there.

-I like my brush for creating volume near my face, and fingers are no substitute for my brush when styling.

-I get fewer tangles using fingers. I suspect this is because pulling a brush through creates matting when curls intersect each other.

-My curls definitely clump better this way, with fewer loose strands.

Overall I like this! Hope it's going well for others too. :D

Vanilla
August 4th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Good morning everyone! Hope today is a good detangling day. I'm getting bayalge highlights put in my hair this evening (I know my stylist will likely use a comb of some sort). My hair is coconut oiled up and freshly finger detangled.

:)

HairPlease
August 4th, 2016, 09:14 AM
My hair is super fine and thin, so finger detangling has been easy. I can't even imagine what it's like for someone with thicker hair!

I couldn't imagine finger detangling fine/thin hair! My clumsy fingers would break it all into pieces! LOL

Arctic
August 4th, 2016, 09:28 AM
When my hair was fine, straight and thin, it got oily super fast if I touched it with my hands/fingers, so finger detangling wouldn't have worked for me then (I had very oily hair back then).

vampyyri
August 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Day three: Done!

Day four started with a scalp wash and a few stubborn tangles, but now it is tamed and thrown into a LWB.

Hairkay
August 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Since I wash my hair plaited/braided it doesn't have a chance to get tangled. For me pre-empting tangles work best.

jel
August 4th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Four days and all is well! It helps that I keep my hair up all day, then in a braid for sleeping. I put my combs away, so I wouldn't automatically grab one, and it seems to be working. BTW, I'm not trying to detangle all my hair twice a day, as I used to with combs/TT (I reduced it to once a day in the last few months, trying to be gentler), just enough to be able to braid it cleanly, or if I feel a knot.

Anje
August 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I can't imagine scalp-washing with this. Scalp-washing tends to give me tangles and just leaves all the short hairs webby through the rest of it, so I always do full-length washes. My hair dries pretty quickly anyway, so there isn't much benefit to only washing the scalp.

Things are going well here. Only challenge I've had (which I already knew about) is that I really really can't detangle my dry hair with damp hands, or the hair just clings. Must have DRY hands, or damp hair. I washed again last night and slept in a braid to let it finish drying. I like how it stayed a bit clumpy and wavy.

Vanilla
August 5th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Anje, totally agree about the scalp washing. I get so many more tangles trying to was only my scalp. How's everyone doing? I had my baylage done yesterday, and they used a comb. Need to go back today for them to finish putting the pink and purple color in. But I've been really liking the way my hair feels with just finger detangling.

Olavi
August 5th, 2016, 06:01 AM
It's day 6 for me and I'm doing good. Clarifying helped a lot! I still have tangles, and I noticed I have a lot of split ends (that's what you get for skipping S&D for far too long), which is probably the reason for said tangles. Other than that, de-tangling and preening with finger only have turned out to be working for me. Granted, my hair is not that long yet, but it is thick and slightly wavy.

vampyyri
August 5th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Day 4, done!

Day 5... showered this morning and had some real mean tangles because I just ran out of my favorite conditioner (V05 Strawberry) and had a hard time getting the tangles out with what little I had left. My second conditioner is a bit thicker (Suave Green Apple) and I tried as best as I could to get the rest out with that. Now it's up and out of the way, and I definitely need to run to the store tonight!

zashin66
August 5th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Go to imgur or photobucket and copy the img forum code, then you'll be able to post pics.

My hair was a hot mess when I came home about 30mins ago, I ha to finger comb my nape and boy was that hard :/ I just ran cold water over it and separated it with my fingers and plopped, hopefully problem solved.

I will definitely try that. I joined photobucket and am now wading through all my photos. :). I will figure it out. I have been doing well with the finger combing. I had better put my brushes away in the proper drawer or else I will have them all misplaced and not able to remember their location. haha

I am finding that if I wash my hair the night before and leave it loose but shoved up over my pillow to hang down up there, then in the morning it is easier to finger detangle. I have been swimming so I have had to wash it more often. I braid it for swimming and then wash it before going to bed. This is kind of fun.....

zashin66
August 5th, 2016, 09:19 AM
That's because it isn't in the user permissions to do that. ;) You'll need to use a photo hosting site. (imgur is easy and pretty good. Photobucket is popular.) I've got a link in my sig to a thread on how to post them.
Thank you :)

zashin66
August 5th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Day three: Done!

Day four started with a scalp wash and a few stubborn tangles, but now it is tamed and thrown into a LWB.

I am using hair sticks and the LWB a lot as well. Today I did a lace French braid all the way around my hair line and then wrapped the end around the inside of my LWB with two hair sticks A.K.A. set of chopsticks. :)

Anje
August 5th, 2016, 01:47 PM
So far, so good. I've got a bit of a spot that's getting sore on my scalp, but I've had that before and I don't think it's related. (Actually, I suspect it's related to the direction I twist my buns. I may have to relearn how to do them the other way! It's to the left of my crown, and I twist counterclockwise.)

Krytta
August 5th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I hope everyone is going well with this challenge :o
I washed my hair on 4th which was quite a challenge as my hair knots and tangles so easily.
Nonetheless i pushed through and have successfully used my fingers to detangle.
It sure does take a lot of patience and time to get through all my hair, but i'm excited to continue on and may even incorporate this more into my routine once the month has ended.

Sunshine&Opals
August 6th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Hi, may I join in, please? I've been finger combing only since the start of this challenge, but honestly didn't think I'd manage to get as far as this already!

Vanilla
August 6th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Absolutely! Welcome! I'm still finger combing. I'm finally getting the rest of the hair color done today. My colorist had to go home sick yesterday. Hair is defintely more tangly where I bleached.

vampyyri
August 6th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Day 5: Done!

Day 6, still living with residual tangles because of washing with too little of my conditioner (went out and bought out a store of all they had to stock up), but probably won't be washing again until tomorrow... keeping it up and out of the way!

QuietVixen
August 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Count me in! I'm going to finger comb to September the 6th, just to make up for the past days. Today is going decent finger combing, though my hair rarely tangles. I'm excited for this! I wish everyone luck with their hair.

HairPlease
August 6th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Alright I'm still holding up. Shower finger detangling is a life saver. I slob on a bunch of my conditioner and get to work, very very very gingerly. I can't do as much detangling when it's dry.

Anje
August 6th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Full week in, and things are going great. If it continues like this, I might stick with it indefinitely.

My scalp is in oily mode for some reason this summer, and this hasn't really helped that. I'm finding I need to wash every other day, or the roots look piecey on day 3. Probably I need force the issue with milder washing to get the whole cycle to calm down, but I'm not in the mood yet.

Major annoyance is that when I go to the bathroom and check the mirror while washing my hands, I can't do anything about my hair for a few minutes til my hands are fully dry. :P

zashin66
August 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Well I went swimming again last evening. The trees blocked the sun and it was amazing to just float..... Back to the Hair. lol
After swimming I was a bit concerned about my hair so I washed it again with lots of conditioner. I rinsed in cold/cool water and went to bed. This am my hair is detangling fairly easily. So I am very pleased. It is kind of relaxing to detangle and read the threads. Hope every one is feeling relaxed today.

meteor
August 6th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Oh Vanilla, I love your new purplish-pink ends in the siggy! :thud: Your new hairstyle looks so gorgeous! :applause

So happy to hear that everybody is doing so well! :cheer:

Sorry to say, I had to drop out of this challenge, sorry. :flower: This is hands-down the toughest challenge I've tried on the LHC. My hair rebelled quite a bit with some scary tangles and, reading how brilliantly fingers-only detangling works for many others here makes me realize that my hair, sadly, is just a bit too naughty to be in this group of lovely, well-behaved manes. ;)

I guess I'll know to always have a WT comb / rake / Afro pick on me, wherever I go. ;)

I wish you guys lots of luck on this challenge! :cheer: And I'll definitely be watching this wonderful and supportive thread to pick up some tips and tricks for better finger-detangling in the future! ;)

littlestarface
August 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Now it's getting tough for me. I'm having bad tangles today and it's so hard combing it with just my little fingers, my arms are wanting to go look for my tangle teezer. I'm gonna wash today I think.

vampyyri
August 6th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Update, had to take another shower because of the oiliness and tangles... finger detangled in the shower with my good old conditioner, and clogged the drain again. Muuuuch better :lol:

Vanilla
August 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Oh Vanilla, I love your new purplish-pink ends in the siggy! :thud: Your new hairstyle looks so gorgeous! :applause

So happy to hear that everybody is doing so well! :cheer:

Sorry to say, I had to drop out of this challenge, sorry. :flower: This is hands-down the toughest challenge I've tried on the LHC. My hair rebelled quite a bit with some scary tangles and, reading how brilliantly fingers-only detangling works for many others here makes me realize that my hair, sadly, is just a bit too naughty to be in this group of lovely, well-behaved manes. ;)

I guess I'll know to always have a WT comb / rake / Afro pick on me, wherever I go. ;)

I wish you guys lots of luck on this challenge! :cheer: And I'll definitely be watching this wonderful and supportive thread to pick up some tips and tricks for better finger-detangling in the future! ;)

Thanks for your kind compliment meteor! I'm sorry that this challenge didn't work out for your hair.

XiaoBaiTu
August 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Dropped out today. My hair is actually well suited to finger detangling and I mostly liked the results, but I get a little halo of short frizzy hairs around my head if I don't brush them down and make them behave! Thanks for having me guys, and I hope that those of you still in the challenge will see it through to completion! :D

jel
August 7th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Full week in, and things are going great. If it continues like this, I might stick with it indefinitely.

My scalp is in oily mode for some reason this summer, and this hasn't really helped that. I'm finding I need to wash every other day, or the roots look piecey on day 3. Probably I need force the issue with milder washing to get the whole cycle to calm down, but I'm not in the mood yet.

I'm also pleasantly surprised how easy, and even beneficial, this has been for my hair. Instead of scraping down every single strand, gentle finger detangling leaves my hair soft, fluffy (in a good way, I suppose a better word is root-lifted) and thicker-looking. It has even helped calm down my scalp, so instead of washing twice a week I'm now doing it every 5 days or so. Having said that, I started finger-combing (though not exclusively) a few weeks earlier than this challenge, so maybe more time will help you too?

vampyyri
August 7th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Day 6: Done!

Day 7: Had to scalp wash again as I had a really rough night's sleep, still holding in there!

lapushka
August 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I use too much product, so by the end of the week (of finger detangling), when my waves have sagged enough, I need to go through with a comb and a TT. And it feels like it needs it too! So if you don't use too much product (like gels), this might be great, but I'm fearing that those who are using product might find themselves in knots if they continue to do this, but again YMMV. It's just... be careful! :flower:

Vanilla
August 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Finger combing only is going really well for me still. I am liking the way my hair looks and feels after finger detangling. Sorry to hear the some people are dropping out of the challenge. Every head of hair is different.

For those that are sticking around, I'm glad that you guys are seeing some positive results!

Tassledown
August 7th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Mine went really well. I washed three days ago and my hair dried faster I think and had a lot more volume than usual (although it may be related to the conditioner I used that time vs my leave-in that I only use every two weeks.) I like it and I like that it makes me slow down when I do my hair, so - still positive on my end.

(I did hairtaping with dutch braids after and while the taping has fallen out the braids are still in good shape, possibly owing to me also having made a satin pillowcase to use finally too - so many changes at once, hard to limit it to the challenge now that I have all the ideas!)

vampyyri
August 7th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I use too much product, so by the end of the week (of finger detangling), when my waves have sagged enough, I need to go through with a comb and a TT. And it feels like it needs it too! So if you don't use too much product (like gels), this might be great, but I'm fearing that those who are using product might find themselves in knots if they continue to do this, but again YMMV. It's just... be careful! :flower:

That's why I'm avoiding gels at the moment other than the smidgen of AVG that I put in! It's working well with this method!

I'm noticing with the combination of finger detangling and keeping my hair up, I get virtually no tangles anymore. I used to struggle with lots of them that I would need to rip through with a TT which would cause breakage. So hooray for gentle handling and benign neglect :cheer:

Olavi
August 8th, 2016, 02:10 AM
It's good to know others have experienced hair getting oily faster. Normally I can wash every three days, but now I can only do it if I don't plan on going anywhere public on last day. Even now, on second day, I have to wash early (normally I wash around 8pm), because I have important stuff to do at noon.

But other than that I'm going strong. It's day 8+1 for me, and the sebum has eased the tangles I got after clarifying.

vampyyri
August 8th, 2016, 08:04 AM
It's good to know others have experienced hair getting oily faster. Normally I can wash every three days, but now I can only do it if I don't plan on going anywhere public on last day. Even now, on second day, I have to wash early (normally I wash around 8pm), because I have important stuff to do at noon.

But other than that I'm going strong. It's day 8+1 for me, and the sebum has eased the tangles I got after clarifying.

I'm having an issue with oiliness, but I'm not sure if it's from this challenge (very well may be) or something else. I'm having trouble stretching washes to every other day all of a sudden, my scalp is kicking oil production into high gear.

Day 7: Done!

Day 8: Started with washing my bangs only and really slicked back my hair for a LWB. Didn't feel like doing a full scalp wash.

vampyyri
August 9th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Day 8: Done!

Day 9: So far so good, no tangles to speak of!

zashin66
August 9th, 2016, 07:46 AM
I had been playing with my hair absentmindedly on sunday. I kept putting it up in LWB and taking it down and up again. so I decided to play with some of the tiney braids. I did one tiny French rope braid that flopped so I tried again right next to the original one and before I knew It I had four. So I decided to do my whole head. With the summer heat it was wonderful.....I enjoyed it for two days. but they loosened so much I had to take them all down. My hair fit into fifteen of them. Took me five hours to put them up and 1.5 hours to finger combe them out. I never used a comb. used a hair stick to do the parts. lol It has been an adventure to keep my hair up and to only use fingers at the same time.

Tassledown
August 9th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I just did another wash (clarifying, this time) and to my surprise using shampoo didn't make for a big issue. It's not dry yet so I can't see the results, but still going well. This is reminding me that I really do like the process of finger-combing, though, and I like the control it gives me over my hair - and that I CAN'T just get impatient and rake through it if I'm in a bad mood. (Which I was today - attempted to do things at the DMV. Haha what was I thinking, actually trying to get things done there.)
Hair is plopped and waiting and my head feels great, so small things.

vampyyri
August 9th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I just did another wash (clarifying, this time) and to my surprise using shampoo didn't make for a big issue. It's not dry yet so I can't see the results, but still going well. This is reminding me that I really do like the process of finger-combing, though, and I like the control it gives me over my hair - and that I CAN'T just get impatient and rake through it if I'm in a bad mood. (Which I was today - attempted to do things at the DMV. Haha what was I thinking, actually trying to get things done there.)
Hair is plopped and waiting and my head feels great, so small things.

I feel ya on that one... it's like an amusement park, without the amusement.

Anje
August 9th, 2016, 10:49 AM
I'm also pleasantly surprised how easy, and even beneficial, this has been for my hair. Instead of scraping down every single strand, gentle finger detangling leaves my hair soft, fluffy (in a good way, I suppose a better word is root-lifted) and thicker-looking. It has even helped calm down my scalp, so instead of washing twice a week I'm now doing it every 5 days or so. Having said that, I started finger-combing (though not exclusively) a few weeks earlier than this challenge, so maybe more time will help you too?

I suspect most of it is just wash method. I've been using dilute shampoo instead of CO for a few years, and my washes have become more and more frequent out of necessity. But my skin reacts to getting dry by making more oil and generally becoming a mess, a fact I worked out in about 9th grade, and the solution seems to be to moisturize it despite all the oil. It'll probably take a few months to get it better, but I think I need to bite the bullet and do it.

Vanilla
August 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM
This method is still working really well for me. I bleached the bottom of my hair last Thursday, and I have found hardly any breakage or splits in my daily S&D. Finger detangling is the only thing that has changed in my routine.

I'm sticking with it!

PoysinIvy
August 9th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Still hanging in here :-) One of these days I'll remember to take a photo to show off the curl that finger combing combined with cg method brought out. The difference between me rejoining here in June and now is unbelievable.

MidnightMoon
August 9th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I tried finger combing only for a week, meaning I washed, air dried and then didn't use a comb for the week. I gave up by the next was as I didn't really see any benefits in doing it :(
I like to feel my hair combed and it just hang in there, clingy, piecey, and even looked sparse #fail. I guess having such fine hair doesn't help.

vampyyri
August 10th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Still going strong!

Day 9: Done!

Day 10: Started the day with a shower and dentangled and didn't clog the drain this time! It's now up in a braided cinnabun to finish drying. No tangles to speak of still, it's almost like I don't get them anymore. I'll take it :p

Olavi
August 10th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Day 10+1 and still going strong! My hair is horribly greasy and I didn't have time to wash it, because friend asked me to go to the mall with her with really short notice :D So I just put it on messy sock bun and used my self made dry shampoo to matte the canopy. I could have used the store bought dry shampoo, but I hate how it feels and using it would have meant USING COMB D:

My ends have been tangling, but I have been done s&d almost daily for few days, and I think I have to start doing it either daily or every other day, because I didn't do it for a long time, and now there's tons of split ends...

vampyyri
August 10th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Day 10+1 and still going strong! My hair is horribly greasy and I didn't have time to wash it, because friend asked me to go to the mall with her with really short notice :D So I just put it on messy sock bun and used my self made dry shampoo to matte the canopy. I could have used the store bought dry shampoo, but I hate how it feels and using it would have meant USING COMB D:

My ends have been tangling, but I have been done s&d almost daily for few days, and I think I have to start doing it either daily or every other day, because I didn't do it for a long time, and now there's tons of split ends...

Self made dry shampoo you say...? Do tell!

I have an old can of the store bought stuff that I quit cold turkey when I was stretching washes. I used to go through two cans a month :shudder: I can't even imagine putting that goop in my hair now!

zashin66
August 10th, 2016, 07:50 AM
My hair is still a little crazy from the fifteen French rope braids. Finger combing has been an all morning process so far. It was in a French braid for over night sleeping but I did not sleep so well so lots of toss and turning. Needless to say my hair is a bird's nest this am. I am detangling almost hair by hair..... sigh. I need to clarify as well.

Olavi
August 10th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Self made dry shampoo you say...? Do tell!

I have an old can of the store bought stuff that I quit cold turkey when I was stretching washes. I used to go through two cans a month :shudder: I can't even imagine putting that goop in my hair now!

It feels very much like powder, so it doesn't feel icky when touched :D There was at least baking cocoa powder and corn flour, but I have long forgotten ratios. I can look up the recipe and pm it to you if you want :)

missmelaniem
August 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Crash and burn. I'm out. I had to brush today... the hairs all over the place were bugging me, and my hair feels overconditioned from all the condish I had to use to finger comb.

I made it 9 days though! I thought I could go the 30 but... yeah. fail for me. Maybe next time? :)

Vanilla
August 11th, 2016, 07:00 AM
I'm also interested in the DIY dry shampoo spray.

Sorry to hear that you're dropping out mismelaniem. Glad you made it 9 days with us!

vampyyri
August 11th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Day 10: Done!

Day 11: Took my hair out of my sleep braid, and the only tangles were from shed hairs. My hair is so happy with this!

gustavonut
August 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM
My hair feels so incredibly dry since starting this. Not sure why though, I guess because the oils aren't getting distributed throughout my hair evenly or something :( it's really hard to finger comb through my hair because of how dry it is so I usually just leave it alone and finger comb through the roots if I need to go somewhere. I s&d'd a bit last night and that seemed to help the tangling a lot. I also noticed my dandruff is flaring up unusually since I started this as well.. But anyways day 11 is done.

littlestarface
August 11th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Still finger combing, I havent washed my hair yet, far too lazy right now.

Tassledown
August 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
My hair is a mess today because of how exhausting yesterday was. Thank God for french braids, but by the end of the day I was so done even my head needed a break. Finally finished at the DMV after FOUR tries in three days. (FOUR. OMG.) Add on a bonus bad miscommunication in a phone call (the joys of running into two different people with the same name making appointments with you in the same week unexpectedly!) and I am just going to spend today recovering and maybe treat myself to an early bath and condition this week. Will be looking forward to the scalp massage I get doing it, though.

While I was fiddling with my hair I noticed that I seem to have a bunch of what I'd guess are called "fairy knots." I should probably S&D them out but I can't find my way around the site well enough to locate the article or thread on how to do that properly. Can someone direct me there?

Anje
August 11th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Hair is mostly doing just fine. The ends have seemed a little dry for me too, but I've been messing around with various things on them, which could also explain that. Gave them a good conditioning last night, so they're feeling better today.

Olavi
August 11th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I'm also interested in the DIY dry shampoo spray.

I have heard about DIY dry shampoo sprays, but the one I use is almost like a hair powder. It has been ages since I made the batch I currently use (I should just throw it away already, but since it doesn't smell bad or anything...), but I'm pretty sure I used this (http://www.lifeatcloverhill.com/2013/02/dry-shampoo-for-light-hair-and-dark-hair.html) recipe. Essential oil is optional, and I didn't use it, because it already smells like chocolate :P

Pamberpestana
August 11th, 2016, 02:08 PM
My scalp is craving brush bristles!! I've never gone more than a day or two without a brush or comb, but my hair especially the ends like the finger combing much better.

lapushka
August 11th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I can go 6 days finger detangling (and not even that the first few days after a wash -> no sheds), but on day 7, I need a comb and a brush. This is the second time I'm trying to elongate the time I can go without a comb/brush, and I will be glad I can use one this Sunday. No, I can't do this.

QuietVixen
August 11th, 2016, 04:47 PM
5 day log and update:

Day 1 and 2 went fine
Day 3: Hair is messy, the temptation to brush begins, yet I resist it
Day 4: Day time finger combing went fine again, I took a shower late at night and went to bed with wet hair which is rare for me
Day 5: My hair dried while I slept and became tangled and messy in the morning, I de tangled with my fingers the best I could and threw my hair into a bun
Today is going decent with finger combing.

I've noticed I've been keeping my hair up for the majority of these past few challenge days. I wish everyone and myself the best luck in this challenge!

Vanilla
August 11th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Great job everyone! I think my hair is in better condition now than even before I bleached it. Finger combing works! I have been finding fewer and fewer splits during my S&D. Here's a progress pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc9rebttw.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc9rebttw.jpeg.html)

BoopBoop1
August 11th, 2016, 08:34 PM
I used a comb T-T so sorry. Hope you guys are doing good <3

lapushka
August 12th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Looks great, Vanilla!

vampyyri
August 12th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Day 11: Done! Was outside all of yesterday and kept switching between styles because A) People were really curious to how i keep my hair up with a fork-like looking device, and how to did the pretty bun (it was just a LWB) B) I had to keep airing out my scalp from all the sweat, it was the most humid and hot day I've been outside for this year! So between styles, I was finger combing and had a few snarls here and there, probably from my humidity. But I made it!
Day 12: Did a good deep conditioning this morning and detangled in the shower... and clogged the drain. I know I've gotten everything when I start taking a bath rather than a shower xD

lapushka
August 12th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Day 11: Done! Was outside all of yesterday and kept switching between styles because A) People were really curious to how i keep my hair up with a fork-like looking device, and how to did the pretty bun (it was just a LWB) B) I had to keep airing out my scalp from all the sweat, it was the most humid and hot day I've been outside for this year! So between styles, I was finger combing and had a few snarls here and there, probably from my humidity. But I made it!
Day 12: Did a good deep conditioning this morning and detangled in the shower... and clogged the drain. I know I've gotten everything when I start taking a bath rather than a shower xD

That is also why I don't take it to the limit. Before I wash, I want to make sure the most sheds are out that I can get out, and that means a comb or brush. I just hate clogged drains! :(

Tassledown
August 12th, 2016, 12:23 PM
That is also why I don't take it to the limit. Before I wash, I want to make sure the most sheds are out that I can get out, and that means a comb or brush. I just hate clogged drains! :(

I'm curious, do you use a hair trap at all or does it bother you when that gets filled too?

That and generally when I'm finger detangling in the shower all my sheds just stick to my hands to the point I can rub my hands together and ball them up and pitch them at the garbage can without them ever hitting the floor of the shower. I suppose this may be a texture thing, though.

(And yes it drives me slightly nuts to have hands covered in sheds, but that just seems to be the price of my hair...)

vampyyri
August 12th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I'm curious, do you use a hair trap at all or does it bother you when that gets filled too?

That and generally when I'm finger detangling in the shower all my sheds just stick to my hands to the point I can rub my hands together and ball them up and pitch them at the garbage can without them ever hitting the floor of the shower. I suppose this may be a texture thing, though.

(And yes it drives me slightly nuts to have hands covered in sheds, but that just seems to be the price of my hair...)

I personally have a drain that has holes that trap the hair, it's not a totally open drain, otherwise I would have a mesh cover over it.

I completely understand about the shed hairs all over your hands, I rub mine together, and rinse them off my hands. I have a weird curiosity to see how many sheds I get in the drain. I suppose it's a way of tracking my shedding rate :lol:

Lizzie.torp
August 12th, 2016, 06:55 PM
I've been to busy to update. My hair has been great and more manageable than usual. I was very tempted to brush my almost dry tangly hair after the shower, though. Also, can I use my BBB just on my edges to smooth them down? That's the only struggle I've been having.

Tassledown
August 13th, 2016, 12:27 AM
I personally have a drain that has holes that trap the hair, it's not a totally open drain, otherwise I would have a mesh cover over it.

I completely understand about the shed hairs all over your hands, I rub mine together, and rinse them off my hands. I have a weird curiosity to see how many sheds I get in the drain. I suppose it's a way of tracking my shedding rate :lol:

To be honest I can't imagine tracking my shed rate any other way anyways. The amount of work I'd have to put in to detangle my sheds to count them or something like that would just be mindboggling IMO. But I also appreciate that sometimes it can be a LOT of hair and then you get them stuck in the most annoying places if you do the sheds in the shower so...

trolleypup
August 13th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Finger detangled prior to wash, washed, finger detangled after it was almost dry. No issues, yay!

lapushka
August 13th, 2016, 04:53 AM

I use one of those little "sifter" thingies, yes. And it gets cleaned out 3 times per wash. After shampoo, and twice after conditioner. Just so it doesn't somehow let hair slip through in between filling up.

littlestarface
August 13th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Okay for sure i'm gonna wash my hair today so let's see how it goes with putting coconut oil on first without a tt i'm kinda scared looool.

gustavonut
August 13th, 2016, 12:47 PM
My hair is happiest when it is up since starting this. It feels incredibly dry and clumpy and bleh. I'm so ready for this challenge to be over! Was thinking of giving up but am scared to tackle these horrible tangles with a comb because when I try to finger comb it, it breaks so much and just gets more tangled... Makes me want to cry :,( maybe a DT would help...

luxurioushair
August 13th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Great idea, I abandoned combs since last year and I am never going back! Of course depending on hair type, this may or may not be a good thing to do, but my hair loves it.

vampyyri
August 13th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Day 12: Done!

Day 13: Had to wash again, clogged the drain and did a beer rinse... still trucking along!

vampyyri
August 14th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Day 13: Done!

Day 14: No need for finger combing today, lounging around in my dutch sleep braid probably until tomorrow morning.

Olavi
August 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I am actually surprised I have made it over two weeks without much trouble. I miss my combs and BBB when it is time to preen before shower, but not enough to drop at this point. The biggest problem has been my tendency to touch my hair too much, which has been causing greasy look faster than normally.

Tassledown
August 15th, 2016, 12:11 AM
I use one of those little "sifter" thingies, yes. And it gets cleaned out 3 times per wash. After shampoo, and twice after conditioner. Just so it doesn't somehow let hair slip through in between filling up.

Ugh yeah. Sounds like a hassle and a half. Something I get to look forward to, I'm sure!

Anje
August 15th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I went away from home for a long weekend and didn't bring any detangling implements! Still good.

vampyyri
August 15th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Day 14: Done, took a long shower in the evening as my scalp was acting up from all of the crazy weather here and the beer rinse that I did last shower. Had a few crazy tangles (beer rinse aftermath), but was fine after that.

Day 15: Still going, it's up in a LWB and will probably not be fumbled with until tonight's sleep braid.

Vanilla
August 15th, 2016, 05:28 PM
I'm still doing really well myself! I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already.

LadyAdelina
August 15th, 2016, 07:17 PM
So I just got back from my camping trip and have been finger detangling the whole time... I'm honestly not noticing a huge difference in my hair, except that all the fluffy baby hairs seem to stick out a lot more without me brushing to smooth them down, and my hair seems to look greasy a bit sooner since I'm not distributing the oils down the hair. My hair does seem a bit more fluffy and has more texture though, so I guess that's nice. :)

I've been slowly trying to find a balance between natural ingredients and methods and being a total product junkie, so I'm sort of liking the idea of embracing my hair the way it is, as opposed to "taming" it.

Vanilla
August 15th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Progress picture after tonight's wash:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsksf4q3oj.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsksf4q3oj.jpeg.html)

littlestarface
August 15th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I lost as much hair as I always did in the shower so apparently my fingers remove the same amount of hair while oiling it, the same as my TT used to, so that's good to see.

It's alot more work using my fingers, after this month I will not do this again thats for sure.

vampyyri
August 15th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Progress picture after tonight's wash:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsksf4q3oj.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsksf4q3oj.jpeg.html)

Holy smoothness :thud:

Vanilla
August 16th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Thanks so much vampyyri! My hair behaves its best right after a wash.

vampyyri
August 16th, 2016, 07:44 AM
You're welcome :D

Day 15: Done!

Day 16: Yet another wash in the shower... the weather is really messing with my oil production :( I'm going to put it into a bun soon to get it out of the way.

HairPlease
August 16th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Day 16: Getting weary of this but holding up. I mailed my comb to my out of state friend for safe keeping. Go ahead, laugh, but it it works, it works.

jel
August 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Still fine with finger-combing only. Actually, better, as I'm not impatiently ripping through tangles as I used to (*shameful*). The night before a wash I do a scalp massage with oil (jojoba + EOs) and then oil my palms with EVOO before braiding for bed. That way my hair/scalp doesn't get too dry.

Horrorpops
August 16th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Yes I really need to start finger combing more. I had switched to a comb recently and suspect that could be a source of damage for me, it doesn't feel like I can get the tangles out with as little breakage as finger combing.

Great idea for a thread!

vampyyri
August 17th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Day 16: Done!

Day 17: No issues, just put it into yet another braided cinnabun with no tangles this time around—my hair is feeling a lot softer.

Sunshine&Opals
August 17th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I'm still going! Can't say I'm noticing a huge difference, still have a fair few white dots during my S & D session today.
But it is much easier to forgo the brush/comb than I expected so I'm just carrying on.
How are you all doing?

Olavi
August 17th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I must admit, I haven't noticed big difference either. But I'm not giving up, even if I don't gain much from this, at least I can say I did it :D

Anje
August 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I think my tangles might be going down a little bit. I do dislike that it's harder to get everything totally smooth if I'm putting my hair up, but I suspect I'm breaking fewer hairs than if I detangle with a comb or TT, which seems like a decent trade-off. I'll probably use something for smoothing after this month, but if the tangles are indeed going down, I can handle doing my initial detangles with fingers after this. That seems like a worthy trade.

HairPlease
August 17th, 2016, 12:58 PM
I think my tangles might be going down a little bit. I do dislike that it's harder to get everything totally smooth if I'm putting my hair up, but I suspect I'm breaking fewer hairs than if I detangle with a comb or TT, which seems like a decent trade-off. I'll probably use something for smoothing after this month, but if the tangles are indeed going down, I can handle doing my initial detangles with fingers after this. That seems like a worthy trade.

Yes. Me too. It feels like I only break 3 to 5 hairs in a full finger detangling session if I'm cautious.

Vanilla
August 17th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I'm doing really well still. I found some splits and white dots the other day, but they were directly related to me braiding my hair when wet and sleeping on it.

littlestarface
August 17th, 2016, 08:24 PM
My hair same as usual.

vampyyri
August 18th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Day 17: Done!

Day 18: Did a scalp wash today as I didn't have time for a full wash this morning, and had the usual tangling that comes with using a clarifying shampoo. It's up in another braided cinnabun for today!

notnotevil
August 18th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I just noticed that I've almost accidentally joined this challenge after my comb broke. Although I've brushed a couple of times with a BBB.
Wellp!
Even if I don't qualify, I think I'm going to continue only finger combing. Might stick to it if all goes well. It's the only method of combing that I seem to have total control over, since it always felt like I tore through a few tangles each time with my comb...

HairPlease
August 18th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Day 18 - this is my 4th day without a wash. Arrgh. Scalp feels good, hair feels limp and depressed. I was prepared for this. I'm glad I'm only finger combing right now though, that along with stretching washes is actually working to a point. Detangling is getting easier.

gustavonut
August 18th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I lost this challenge, woops! I just had to comb my hair out because it was feeling so bleh, and it instantly feels softer and more manageable. I do not regret it. I don't think fingercombing is for me because it made my hair soooo tangly and greasy so quick. And I was very careful mind you! I'll leave my fingers for scalp massages I guess.

vampyyri
August 18th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I just realized that this might be a good icebreaker: "Hey guess what? I haven't brushed my hair in over two weeks" just to mess with people :lol:

Tassledown
August 18th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Great idea, I abandoned combs since last year and I am never going back! Of course depending on hair type, this may or may not be a good thing to do, but my hair loves it.

I gotta admit doing this is definitely making me consider doing the same with my hair. I hadn't ever really considered just doing finger-combing before - I have a comb for sometimes - but from what I can tell my hair is perfectly happy with this and I think it gets the conditioner distributed better.

I had an exciting weekend going to a friend's place for a short enough time I didn't take hair stuff, but my word was my hair dry and cranky afterwards (in part because I'd been trying to put it up for the weekend but nothing I did was cooperating and staying put, so it got way overhandled.) The upside was the friend in question is someone who also recently joined LHC and so I got to talk to her about shampoos and conditioners and go over how to find good ones et al. So it was a very nice visit. My hair is much happier now that I'm home and have washed it again.

vampyyri
August 19th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Day 18: Done!

Day 19: Not sure what is up with my hair, even a scalp wash wasn't enough to get all the greasies out. Took my hair out of a claw clip for sleeping (I'm a side sleeper so it works) to find no tangles, and did a good deep wash and condition. Much better, and still very few tangles! :D

notnotevil
August 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I notice that it gets progressively more difficult to finger comb dry hair the longer it has been since my last wash. In the shower I go all out with conditioner, detangle with my fingers, and it is very smooth as if I had brushed it thoroughly. I don't know if I'd stretch my washes any further (2 x a week now) but if I did, this might be a problem.

Do any of you guys notice that happening to you? Or some other shower related troubles?

I just realized that this might be a good icebreaker: "Hey guess what? I haven't brushed my hair in over two weeks" just to mess with people :lol:

It's funny you say that, my friends were freaked out at the concept of not brushing my hair every single day. Not sure how crazy 2 weeks would sound to them, haha! But it sounds completely normal to me. :D

LadyAdelina
August 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I notice that it gets progressively more difficult to finger comb dry hair the longer it has been since my last wash. In the shower I go all out with conditioner, detangle with my fingers, and it is very smooth as if I had brushed it thoroughly. I don't know if I'd stretch my washes any further (2 x a week now) but if I did, this might be a problem.

Do any of you guys notice that happening to you? Or some other shower related troubles?

This is a problem for me too... I see a lot of people on LHC who keep the lengths of their hair dry and just shampooing the roots. And of course, if it works for them, that's awesome. I'm currently growing out a lot of bleach damage, and my hair is much happier if I'm conditioning almost every time I take a shower... So I still stretch my washes (although I guess if I'm getting my head wet, it's sort of a WO wash) but I condition a lot to prevent tangles. I'm also almost always putting on a leave in conditioner or light hair oiling to keep it nice and smooth.
I'm curious to see how my regimen will change as my natural hair grows out... But for now it's only two inches long, so it will be a while! :D

vampyyri
August 20th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Day 19: Done!

Day 20: Still in my sleep style with a claw clip after a workout, due for a shower and will still be going on with this!

zashin66
August 21st, 2016, 03:09 AM
It has been raining all week. My hair has been catching on everything damp and sticky. Ugh

vampyyri
August 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Day 20: Done!

Day 21: My hair is up in last night's dutch braid, and plan on going on another most likely sweaty walk in this heat. Probably will need another shower, so we'll see if there's any tangles later!

Vanilla
August 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM
I hadn't washed my hair since Thursday and didn't bother trying to detangle until I got in the shower today. My hair was very oily and sticky; I would have likely broken quite a few hairs had I tried to detangle before washing.

Tassledown
August 22nd, 2016, 01:32 AM
Washed again, fingercombing went as usual. (It's kinda interesting seeing how little I wash my hair compared to some of y'all, I never quite registered how infrequent it was...) I am definitely considering not using my comb again, although given how exhausted I was today (my period is due shortly) it was tempting to use the comb to speed things up. Given how I tend to get impatient when I'm tired, though it was probably good that I had this to remind me not to.

I really want to get a shower stool though, good grief. My hair is too long to sit in the bath and untangle and the side of the tub is just not comfortable. Ah well.

vampyyri
August 22nd, 2016, 07:27 AM
Day 21: Done! Indeed needed that shower after walking in near 100% humidity on a hot day, and quite a few more sheds came out than usual... seasonal shedding most likely is kicking back up.

Day 22: Finger combed my sleep braid out this morning (no sheds), tried to do a LWB ponytail (failed miserably) and then just went with a normal LWB :p

zashin66
August 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
I can't seem to finger detangle when my hair is damp or wet. I have to wait until it dries. I can't braid it wet either because it won't dry. I am getting much more cautious. I don't like anything to pull then I get paranoid that I am causing myself split ends. I putfakenails on my fingertips and that feels ohhh soooo good on my scalp. better than brushing.

Anje
August 22nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
I seem to be able to detangle damp hair sort of, and dry hair pretty well, IF my hands are dry. Slightest amount of moisture on the hands, and I just end up with hairs wrapped around my hands and it's a big mess.

All is going well still. I braided a bit further than usual today and noticed a couple splits where the hairband often goes, but I haven't S&Ded for weeks and weeks. No telling how long those have been there.

HairPlease
August 22nd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Guys... I think I have dreadlocks. :laugh:
Seriously though, big conditioner wash detangle coming tonight.

vampyyri
August 23rd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Day 22: Done! Went to bed with twin dutch braids.

Day 23: Scalp wash this morning, usual tangles from that, and up in a LWB for the day.

littlestarface
August 23rd, 2016, 12:21 PM
Been keeping my hair in 2 french tails before I french braided I made sure I fingered combed my hair really good. Been like this for 3 days now n my braids still look good, thank god too cuz I can't be bothered.

Vanilla
August 23rd, 2016, 07:44 PM
Guys, I think I've hit a major milestone.

My pink and purple ends were starting to fade quite a bit, so today was re-dye day. I clarified my hair and towel dried it (with no conditoner!). I was able to finger detangle easily enough to make proper sections for the alternating highlights of pink and purple.

I redid my dye, let it sit for about an hour, rinsed and conditioned. My hair is still feeling amazing.

Shepherdess
August 23rd, 2016, 08:48 PM
I am still in this challenge, which I am surprised that I still am, but it has been alright besides a few trouble days. I haven't been able to tell yet whether or not it has improved my hair any; I still have been finding a lot of splits while doing S&D, and my hair gets more oily than before, but I am happy that for the most part finger combing seems to be gentler on my hair. :) I might try to stick through with it the rest of the month and see how that goes.

vampyyri
August 24th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Day 23: Done!

Day 24: Caved and did a full wash a day early, much better! Up in a dutch braid and finger dentangled as I made it.

HairPlease
August 24th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Day 24: Okay, it's getting better. I can get through my hair again. Once again, so glad I cut off 5". My old ends were velcro.

vampyyri
August 24th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Day 24: Okay, it's getting better. I can get through my hair again. Once again, so glad I cut off 5". My old ends were velcro.

I think I messed up counting somewhere, because it is indeed the 24th... oops :lol:

You guys get the idea xD

ETA: Ahh, found it. Going back to edit those real quick... :whistle:

Olavi
August 24th, 2016, 02:03 PM
24+1 days and still in, although I miss my combs and brushes more and more every passing day... I won't quit, but I am very glad the end is near.

I will probably continue to wet/damp finger comb even after the month is up, but dry combing and preening I will mostly do with combs and brushes.

Hairkay
August 24th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Well done everyone for getting this far. Is there going to be some sort of comb party at the end of the month?

vampyyri
August 24th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Well done everyone for getting this far. Is there going to be some sort of comb party at the end of the month?

I might actually be throwing out my Tangle Teezer once this is up :lol: it's beat up anyway. I could always get another one in case I ever need it again.

littlestarface
August 24th, 2016, 05:23 PM

For me o ya, i'm gonna make my own lil hair combing shin-dig and feel good during it...

Stepo_NiNha
August 25th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Is there a fingercombing only challenge for September? If so, I will be in!

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Day 24: Done! I took my dutch braid out, had a few snarls from unravelling it too quickly, but those were easily taken care of. I then had my husband re-braid my hair into an english braid to sleep in, and he commented on how soft and smooth it was! He thought I was crazy for wanting to re-braid it and even took a picture to show me how it looks now. My hair is definitely a lot happier!

Day 25: Still in that sleep braid right now, but I will most likely just throw it into a cinnabun, then take it back down to sleep on again.

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Is there a fingercombing only challenge for September? If so, I will be in!

I was thinking about starting a "Fingercombing Only Challenge" thread, where people could jump in and out on a month, couple of months, or a year (much like the Wear Your Hair Up challenge)

I'm really enjoying doing this, and I'm not so sure I can go back to brushing it again.

Stepo_NiNha
August 25th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I was thinking about starting a "Fingercombing Only Challenge" thread, where people could jump in and out on a month, couple of months, or a year (much like the Wear Your Hair Up challenge)

I'm really enjoying doing this, and I'm not so sure I can go back to brushing it again.

You can start it! :blossom:

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 07:43 AM
You can start it! :blossom:

I wanted to wait until this one is done so I don't step on Vanilla's toes in the last few days as this one wraps up. Look out for it on September 1st!

Stepo_NiNha
August 25th, 2016, 07:48 AM
I wanted to wait until this one is done so I don't step on Vanilla's toes in the last few days as this one wraps up. Look out for it on September 1st!

Yep, I will be waiting ;)

Shepherdess
August 25th, 2016, 11:04 AM
That's a fun thought. :p I definitely want to be much more careful with my hair after this challenge, since "finger combing only" really reminds me of how I need to be so much gentler with my hair, so after this whole challenge for August, I most likely will try to finger comb my hair ever day first before touching a normal comb, and then use a goat bristle brush (the bristles are almost softer than my own hair ), which I plan to use more instead of my BBB. :D My hair is so fine and prone to breakage that I really should continue to stick to finger combing only. :)

That is a wonderful idea! I look forward to seeing your thread once September comes around. ;)

lapushka
August 25th, 2016, 03:05 PM
That is a wonderful idea! I look forward to seeing your thread once September comes around. ;)

An official fingercombing only thread would be awesome! :)

Vanilla
August 25th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Great idea for a new thread! Love it. Looking forward to joining in on that one as well.

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 08:22 PM
An official fingercombing only thread would be awesome! :)

Great idea for a new thread! Love it. Looking forward to joining in on that one as well.

Woo! So exited to start it up!! My brushes are now officially brushes for my cat (he LOVES my tangle teezer, and it gets all of the sheds out!), thank you so much Vanilla for getting me off of my brush dependance!

I used to brush my wavy hair straight all the time, but this has really made me appreciate my hair for the texture it is... This is such a HUGE milestone for me, and I never would have reached it without this challenge...dare I say my texture has evolved solid 2a on this method? :happydance:

Shepherdess
August 25th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Woo! So exited to start it up!! My brushes are now officially brushes for my cat (he LOVES my tangle teezer, and it gets all of the sheds out!), thank you so much Vanilla for getting me off of my brush dependance!

I used to brush my wavy hair straight all the time, but this has really made me appreciate my hair for the texture it is... This is such a HUGE milestone for me, and I never would have reached it without this challenge...dare I say my texture has evolved solid 2a on this method? :happydance:

Aww, that's really cute that your cat likes the tangle teezer so much!! haha! :D It's a great idea to use it for him!! :) Oh, and it is great that you have been having such a great experience with this! :)

vampyyri
August 26th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Aww, that's really cute that your cat likes the tangle teezer so much!! haha! :D It's a great idea to use it for him!! :) Oh, and it is great that you have been having such a great experience with this! :)

I actually highly recommend trying a TT with cats, mine is a Russian White so he has a very plush undercoat, and the brush got all the way down in there to loosen up all the sheds. Now when I pet him, there's no fur explosion from him :lol:

Day 25: Done!

Day 26: Washed my bangs only, when I probably should have done a full scalp wash. The extra sebum in my hair made combing out after having slept in a french braid effortless. A sleek bun is in order for today!

Vanilla
August 26th, 2016, 07:28 PM
We are in the home stretch guys! Less than a week left to go!

My hair is really tangly after today. I took it up and down from my bun all day; couldn't find a comfortable place to park my hair for the day. Took a bit longer to finger detangle tonight.

vampyyri
August 27th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Day 26: Done! Tried using HH Hello Hydration as a detangler, it worked about the same as my V05 Strawberry.

Day 27: Holy crudmoley the tangles were REAL using that conditioner. I have to heavily oil/serum my hair just to get my fingers through it... this happens every time with silicone conditioners for me. Unmanageable frizz, tangles, blech! I can't wait until my next wash, this is ridiculous... I'm so glad that I'm still in the hair your hair up challenge, especially today!! :(

Krytta
August 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM
wow i can't believe how quickly this month went... finger combing has actually grown on me lol.
I don't know wether i will go back to using wide tooth combs as much, shall be interesting.

Olavi
August 28th, 2016, 06:42 AM
I have to admit, I have to brush and comb my hair but I SWEAR, it wasn't because I miss them. I am spending the weekend with my family in our holiday house, in the middle of the forest, and what I didn't remember, is that it is THE SEASON OF MOOSEFLIES! Those d**n f*****s fly in to your hair, bury themselves in, grab your hair and then bite like no tomorrow. And I had a feeling there was one in my hair. So I had to detangle with cheap brush before I could use the think toothed comb....

I will leave tomorrow morning, so i think I will take this day as a "break day", as I started one day earlier anyway, and then I continue tomorrow with the challenge...

vampyyri
August 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Day 27: Done! Drenched my hair in oil before braiding it for bed to make up for having to do a full wash to get the HH out of my hair.

Day 28: SO much better now that I went to my old routine, my hair is tangle free/easy to finger comb out, soft and manageable. Cones are the devil for my hair!

Tassledown
August 29th, 2016, 01:19 AM
I have to admit, I have to brush and comb my hair but I SWEAR, it wasn't because I miss them. I am spending the weekend with my family in our holiday house, in the middle of the forest, and what I didn't remember, is that it is THE SEASON OF MOOSEFLIES! Those d**n f*****s fly in to your hair, bury themselves in, grab your hair and then bite like no tomorrow. And I had a feeling there was one in my hair. So I had to detangle with cheap brush before I could use the think toothed comb....

I will leave tomorrow morning, so i think I will take this day as a "break day", as I started one day earlier anyway, and then I continue tomorrow with the challenge...

Oh dear lord, I'd brush and comb my hair for that too. Yikes! Extraordinary circumstances require such measures.

Vanilla
August 29th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Ouch! Hope you got that bugger out!

vampyyri
August 30th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Day 28: Done!

Day 29: Done!

Day 30: Still stretching a full wash, did a scalp wash today and surprisingly no problematic tangles, just the usual one here and there.

In the home stretch! :cheer:

Sunshine&Opals
August 30th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I'm still going! Even after a holiday away, and a fair few days at the beach, I've still managed to get by and detangle using fingers only. I'm quite amazed! I still can't really say that there's been any improvement, but it's not hurting/harming it.

Shepherdess
August 30th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Great job everyone!! :cheer:

Since I might be too busy to post in a few days around the time when this challenge completes, I wanted to mention something that I noticed while doing this. After finger combing for a month it has made my hair appear to be shorter than it really is. I suppose that when combing before this challenge and using a regular comb, it likely helped to smooth out all of my hair more, but now that I have been finger combing for a month, it likes to shrink back up again. It looks like it is tailbone length, but when I stretch the ends or soak my hair, the ends actually reach to my lower thighs. I know my hair is a curly hair type, so I suppose that this should be natural, though I never usually leave it out to curl, so find it interesting how it now bounces back so fast every time I let it down to finger comb. :) Finger combing must encourage the natural curl pattern or something. :)

vampyyri
August 31st, 2016, 07:39 AM
Whoop! Last day for this month—I can't wait to continue on with this, look out for a new thread tomorrow!

Day 30: Done!

Day 31: Full wash, finger detangling as it dries, then up in some kind of bun!

What I've learned: My tangles aren't as bad as I thought, and ripping through with a brush was really unkind to my hair. It has enhanced my 1c/2a hair to the point where I probably should just call it a solid 2a, not sure about 2a/2b, but definitely 2a. The 1c was the aftermath of brushing it so frequently, and now that a brush hasn't touched my hair in a month, it seems so much happier/wavier! My length doesn't look any shorter per say, but the waves are more pronounced than before. No more splits, no more broken off hairs... I love this method, and I'm so glad that I did this challenge!

To celebrate, I have thrown out my remaining brush (cruddy Avon brush)! The TT is now my cat's, and my husband has a comb for his beard... but there are no hair brushes in the house that are my own anymore! :cheer:

Anje
August 31st, 2016, 11:39 AM
Hey, last day!

So after a month of not combing or brushing my hair, I still find myself looking for my comb in the morning to detangle my hair. Clearly the habit isn't gone yet! I'll probably go back to at least some brushing or combing, because when I want the clumps broken up, there is nothing like a TT to do it. But I think I'm damaging my hair less with the finger combing, and it seems like a good idea to stick to that most of the time.

My texture hasn't changed noticably. It's still sort of half-hearted kind-of-waves, until I braid it, which is pretty nearly every day.

HairPlease
August 31st, 2016, 11:55 AM
Hey, last day!

So after a month of not combing or brushing my hair, I still find myself looking for my comb in the morning to detangle my hair. Clearly the habit isn't gone yet! I'll probably go back to at least some brushing or combing, because when I want the clumps broken up, there is nothing like a TT to do it. But I think I'm damaging my hair less with the finger combing, and it seems like a good idea to stick to that most of the time.

My texture hasn't changed noticably. It's still sort of half-hearted kind-of-waves, until I braid it, which is pretty nearly every day.

I expected more of a change. I didn't get much of one, at least not like vampyyri described. I don't like the little clumps my hair is forming without my comb. I didn't comb every day, but when I did, I can easily say it left my hair more hair-like and less medusa-like. I too will return to my comb routine after this, but I must admit I'm glad I tried this and I've learned a lot about my hair from it.

littlestarface
August 31st, 2016, 12:59 PM
FInally last day, my hair is still same as before the challenge. I can't wait to feel that TT on my scalp after a nice oiling.

Vanilla
August 31st, 2016, 04:10 PM
Last Day!!!! Yay! My hair feels so much smoother than when I started this challenge. It also appears that my taper has improved. I finally feel like I'm more able to diagnose and get on top of my splits, as finger combing only has reduced my mechanical damage by a lot. I did find that finger detangling did make my length a bit more oily than combing with a comb.

I'm not sure yet if I will go back to using a comb, even occasionally. I have a super-wide GTS dainty detangler that may make its way into my detangling regime.

Tassledown
August 31st, 2016, 10:45 PM
Last day and I did indeed wash today. It went well, I think. I'll probably try using the comb again next month to see if I can actually appreciate the difference after this month, but I expect I won't use it much. I didn't really notice a difference myself, but I didn't actually expect to with my hair - my regime was already pretty close to this anyways. (I actually think some of my confusion/issues with it are that I wound up using a different type of conditioner within my usual brand, which I feel was a mistake but oh well. Also useful information on its own. *wry*)
It was a lot of good fun to do this, though, and a nice incentive to hold to it all! Thank you very much to, well, everyone involved here.

lapushka
September 1st, 2016, 04:57 AM
It maybe is a pity that I *do* weekly detangle with a comb/brush (TT), but the rest of the week I finger detangle and for me that is a good solution. I have tried to go through the tangles one Sunday, but at the end of the week, I need a little more than that to get through the "gnarly beasts". :lol: So yeah, it is what it is. I'm perfectly fine with my method of doing things, though, and that's what matters, right? :D

trolleypup
September 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
My routine before was finger detangle with a finish pass using a fine toothed wood comb. The smoothing in a regular detangle using a comb is nice but not a huge issue. The biggest issue is that finger combing doesn't pull out sheds as well as the fine tooth comb...so there are a few more shed tangles, also the scalp doesn't get raked by the comb teeth so washes are less effective...faster scalp anger.

Overall, I think I'll return to my former routine, although perhaps with less comb use for non-prewash detangling.

Olavi
September 1st, 2016, 09:20 AM
i'm pretty proud of myself for completing 31 days (+that one day of combing out moosefly. Didn't see or feel the bugger again). Usually I'm not patient enough to complete any long term challenges, but this time I did it! I'm not going to give up combs and brushes completely, but the last month taught me I can use them less :)

HairPlease
September 1st, 2016, 10:12 AM
It maybe is a pity that I *do* weekly detangle with a comb/brush (TT), but the rest of the week I finger detangle and for me that is a good solution. I have tried to go through the tangles one Sunday, but at the end of the week, I need a little more than that to get through the "gnarly beasts". :lol: So yeah, it is what it is. I'm perfectly fine with my method of doing things, though, and that's what matters, right? :D

That's really similar to what I sometimes do. It's always worked for me and I'm more than sure it will continue to work for me. If it works, it works!
One of my worst areas, because I wear a lot of collared shirts, is the nape. My fingers won't get through that.

Shepherdess
September 1st, 2016, 10:42 AM
i'm pretty proud of myself for completing 30 days (+that one day of combing out moosefly. Didn't see or feel the bugger again). Usually I'm not patient enough to complete any long term challenges, but this time I did it! I'm not going to give up combs and brushes completely, but the last month taught me I can use them less :)

Same here!! ^-^ I'm surprised that I stuck through it too! :D Great job! :cheer:

Vanilla
September 1st, 2016, 04:25 PM
Thanks to all who participated. :)

Here's a pic of my hair today with bun waves. I did use my dainty detangler this morning, but I think I will stick mostly to finger detangling from now on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgieptegb.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgieptegb.jpeg.html)

vampyyri
September 1st, 2016, 05:15 PM
The continuation thread is up for all who want to continue! :D

I'm loving this, it was such a great idea to turn into a challenge!

Krytta
September 1st, 2016, 05:46 PM
Well done everyone :o
I can't believe how quickly the month went.
I'll definitely be finger combing more rather than combing, It was very relaxing :)

Shepherdess
September 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
Thanks to all who participated. :)

Here's a pic of my hair today with bun waves. I did use my dainty detangler this morning, but I think I will stick mostly to finger detangling from now on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/isk8r813/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgieptegb.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/isk8r813/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgieptegb.jpeg.html)
Very pretty!! I love the colors too!

Yeah, I will probably do something similar. I am going to try sticking mostly to finger combing first each day before using my regular comb! :)

The continuation thread is up for all who want to continue! :D

I'm loving this, it was such a great idea to turn into a challenge!
Yay! :cheer: Maybe sometime in the future I will have to join in on it! :)