PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who use EVOO to seal...

H o n є y ❤
July 29th, 2016, 12:25 PM
or as a leave-in. How do you deal with the smell? Olive oil has one of the strongest smells of all the oils I've tried. If you're gonna wash it out that's fine but if you leave it in, how do you tolerate the smell? (Unless of course you like the smell :D). Do you think essential oils would be strong enough to cover up the smell?

Anje
July 29th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I normally don't, but it seems like the easiest solution is to use less-virgin olive oil. I doubt hair can tell the difference between the good flavorful stuff and whatever you cook with when you don't want food that tastes like olives. :D

ETA: Now for strong-scented oils, there's always the dark, roasted form of sesame oil. That stuff lingers!
ETA2: Oooh, and mustard oil!

Hairkay
July 29th, 2016, 01:51 PM
I don't go for extra virgin oil. I look for the milder olive oils.

Kaya
July 29th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I honestly don't mind the smell. Once it's in my hair, it's not so noticeable. (And I'm usually quite liberal with my application and keep it in for an entire day. I go out in public and never had a complaint.) I find cold-pressed avocado oil much stronger in scent. I can smell it in my hair and I'm pretty sure everyone else can too! I don't wear that stuff out in public! :lol:

But yes, if the smell is bothersome, I'd reckon less-virgin olive oils would work just fine too.

ETA: In terms of adding EOs, I'm not sure. I'd be worried about the scents mixing funny, producing something less than pleasant...

lapushka
July 29th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I don't mind the smell either. The IC Fantasia olive oil serum has a faint whiff of olive oil and I quite like it. Don't know if I can stand the full scent, though, but I probably can, because there was a time I couldn't get enough of that IC Fantasia olive oil serum. :lol:

-Fern
July 29th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I don't use olive oil in my hair, but it does make a nice massage oil. And ditto to what others are saying--avoid "Extra Virgin" and get one of the lighter-colored olive oils. The scent is not as strong and it's also cheaper. Then you can add your own perfume oils, as desired.

H o n є y ❤
July 29th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Sounds great, thanks guys!

Daydreamer.
July 30th, 2016, 04:12 AM
I normally don't, but it seems like the easiest solution is to use less-virgin olive oil. I doubt hair can tell the difference between the good flavorful stuff and whatever you cook with when you don't want food that tastes like olives. :D ETA: Now for strong-scented oils, there's always the dark, roasted form of sesame oil. That stuff lingers! ETA2: Oooh, and mustard oil!
Don't forget neem oil! Hoo-boy! As for your question, I've used EVOO to seal my hair. However, the smell never bothered me. It seems to fade quickly. Try diluting your EVOO with another oil you like. That will probably tone down the scent a little. If you grow tired of EVOO, avocado is a great oil to try. I like it better than EVOO. Good luck!