PDA

View Full Version : The official 2-week rule thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lapushka
July 29th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Want to cut a huge chunk off (more than a milestone's worth)?

Want to go to a pixie from classic?

Think about it first, and do it here. Invoke the 2-week rule and we'll try and support / advise you as best we can, not to make you change your mind, but perhaps to see things the way you hadn't before.

Welcome to this thread anyone who wants to make a big change in their hair!

queenbee1
July 29th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Joining this thread

lithostoic
July 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I've been thinking of going shorter since May, I was thinking to shoulder, but now I think I'll just take off a couple inches next week.

Lilith91
July 29th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Thank you for this! Since my hair has been long literally my entire life (I don't think it was even trimmed until I was 3 or so, and then only to around waist-length. The shortest it's been was a few inches below APL at age 15), I am always wondering what cutting it would feel like. I'm constantly bothering my friends by sending them images or videos of certain shorter hairstyles that appeal to me, and usually getting a reply like "I would kill you if you cut it". I'm currently around hip-length and am always going between wanting these three looks-

http://www.popsugar.com.au/beauty/How-Style-Short-Hair-Like-Karlie-Kloss-26122339

https://youtu.be/czHZP2nIwzc

http://le-tourbillion.tumblr.com/post/147570032787/lenashead-source

The curiosity overwhelms me- I wish I could know what cutting it feels like and have short hair for one day, and then have it automatically grow back!

Stepo_NiNha
July 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Great thread! Sometimes cutting to APL is a thought that comes to my mind very often.

But soon I remember the fact that APL makes my head look like a triangle because the ends get too thick.

And then again...I want it LONGER!

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 03:20 AM
I'm not exactly joining this thread but I have to say it's a good idea! My decision to go for terminal growth was actually BECAUSE of finally achieving the "big chop" I had wanted forever (a buzz cut, which every stylist ever refused to give me because I'm female and too shy to insist - a friend finally did it.) It can be incredibly freeing to actually do it and answer that question if you've never had that length in question.

Freeing to make the choice, but then once you decide to grow it back out... well, I did scarves in such a way nobody saw my hair in public for a year and a half until I got back to shoulder length. But I'm still glad I've been to a buzzcut now and confirmed that no, I really don't enjoy having it that short as much as I enjoy having it long.

Definitely agree that taking two weeks to mull it over is best. The regrowth period is sooo hard.

HairPlease
August 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
Oh gosh, Lapushka, this is an excellent idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it. As I've mentioned a few times on here recently, chop-thoughts have been coming into my mind. Not a chin chop, more like an APL chop.
I shall join. I've joined so many threads like the no trimming until January thread, the BSL to waist thread, even the waist by Christmas thread in efforts to motivate myself to not chop. The thoughts persist.

I worry about the femininity of long hair. I avoid femininity like the plague, I can't stand it (I don't mind it on others though, just not for me). But I love long hair because it's dynamic. It moves, it flows, it shines, it grows. And tons of totally masculine people male and female have super long hair, like bikers for instance. And Fabio! He's not feminine! So I try to think about them and how masculine long hair CAN be if you present it right.

Anyway, enough about my thoughts and anxieties. I'll whine more tomorrow. I just think sometimes how much more masculine I ~felt~ with shorter hair.

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 12:48 PM
Oh gosh, Lapushka, this is an excellent idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it. As I've mentioned a few times on here recently, chop-thoughts have been coming into my mind. Not a chin chop, more like an APL chop.
I shall join. I've joined so many threads like the no trimming until January thread, the BSL to waist thread, even the waist by Christmas thread in efforts to motivate myself to not chop. The thoughts persist.

Well the rule is universal on here, has been since... however long, but there just wasn't one official thread on it yet. So...

I'm not exactly a "girly girl" kind of woman myself, but still, I enjoy having long hair! You have to do it for you, not for anyone else, and it's whatever you want it to be!

HairPlease
August 1st, 2016, 07:49 PM
Well the rule is universal on here, has been since... however long, but there just wasn't one official thread on it yet. So...

I'm not exactly a "girly girl" kind of woman myself, but still, I enjoy having long hair! You have to do it for you, not for anyone else, and it's whatever you want it to be!

Yeah, I love the support a thread can provide because I have so much trouble with patience sometimes. :p And you are so right!!

ReadingRenee
August 1st, 2016, 09:25 PM
Yep Great idea for a thread. I have been really struggling with cutting thoughts lately myself. Suddenly finding myself wanting an a line bob again. I think sometimes I miss having short hair because its easier to "do" for me. Less of it. So I can blow dry it, straighten it, curl it, and it looks cute. I can't seem to make my long hair look cute and I don't want to damage it with heat. I have wanted to cut a few times since I started growing out from chin length in Dec 2014. I have invoked the 2 week rule and I have not made it a full 2 weeks without being grateful that I waited, and continued to grow my hair. This is a bad urge though. Im hoping it goes away soon.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 06:13 AM
Yep Great idea for a thread. I have been really struggling with cutting thoughts lately myself. Suddenly finding myself wanting an a line bob again. I think sometimes I miss having short hair because its easier to "do" for me. Less of it. So I can blow dry it, straighten it, curl it, and it looks cute. I can't seem to make my long hair look cute and I don't want to damage it with heat. I have wanted to cut a few times since I started growing out from chin length in Dec 2014. I have invoked the 2 week rule and I have not made it a full 2 weeks without being grateful that I waited, and continued to grow my hair. This is a bad urge though. Im hoping it goes away soon.

In any case, just this urge can mean that if you just cut an inch or two, you'll be happier with the length of your hair. I knew when I cut back from classic as a child to a page boy cut, I regretted it the next day. Should have just trimmed a tiny bit off, and I would have been happy again with the length.

I find that now, when classic gets too long for me, I get that urge to trim a huge chunk off, then when I get it cut back to classic, it's comfy again for me, and it takes care of that terrible urge. It just might mean your hair is getting a bit too long for you to where it's no longer comfortable. Trimming a tiny bit off can already help. :)

ReadingRenee
August 2nd, 2016, 10:29 PM
In any case, just this urge can mean that if you just cut an inch or two, you'll be happier with the length of your hair. I knew when I cut back from classic as a child to a page boy cut, I regretted it the next day. Should have just trimmed a tiny bit off, and I would have been happy again with the length.

I find that now, when classic gets too long for me, I get that urge to trim a huge chunk off, then when I get it cut back to classic, it's comfy again for me, and it takes care of that terrible urge. It just might mean your hair is getting a bit too long for you to where it's no longer comfortable. Trimming a tiny bit off can already help. :)

That could be true for me... I have been pondering a trim but I really want to think about it before I do it. I think my layers could just be driving me crazy, as they are grown out and leaving me with very thin straight looking ends. I have been slowly trimming them away but I have a bit more to go Hmm something to think about, thanks for the idea Lapushka. :)

mermaid lullaby
August 3rd, 2016, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking about shaping my hemline into a U shape, instead of, blunt. Eh, I really regret cutting off my fairy tale ends.

HairPlease
August 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I think I've hit terminal and I'm so angry with my hair for doing that and not to mention I hate having to put it up to do anything. Going for a walk? Better put it up or it tangles. Going to play golf? Better put it up. Going to sleep? Up it goes. Doing anything that involves moving for more than 5 minutes? Up.
I wanna chop to chin. It's been there all my life and it's always been my style. I don't know why I even bothered growing it out. I hate it. Someone console me I need a hug. :p

Lilith91
August 4th, 2016, 09:33 AM
I think I've hit terminal and I'm so angry with my hair for doing that and not to mention I hate having to put it up to do anything. Going for a walk? Better put it up or it tangles. Going to play golf? Better put it up. Going to sleep? Up it goes. Doing anything that involves moving for more than 5 minutes? Up.
I wanna chop to chin. It's been there all my life and it's always been my style. I don't know why I even bothered growing it out. I hate it. Someone console me I need a hug. :p

Long hair is definitely not for everyone, and at least you tried it and found out it's not for you! Hugs!

HairPlease
August 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Long hair is definitely not for everyone, and at least you tried it and found out it's not for you! Hugs!

Thanks, Lilith91. :flower:
It really frustrates me - I'm happy with the texture, color, and all that... but it's just in the way so much. And I'm a pilot, so, hair can be a safety killer in the event of a fire or emergency unless I put it in a tight bun. So there's that too. :(

lapushka
August 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Lilith91. :flower:
It really frustrates me - I'm happy with the texture, color, and all that... but it's just in the way so much. And I'm a pilot, so, hair can be a safety killer in the event of a fire or emergency unless I put it in a tight bun. So there's that too. :(

My hair is always in a bun, has been since waist, and I'm classic length now. 24/7 when I'm up at least, and down when I sleep. I love it that way! And of course it's down on wash day, but that's one day a week.

I hope you can give it some more thought. Don't do anything too drastic!

HairPlease
August 4th, 2016, 03:41 PM
My hair is always in a bun, has been since waist, and I'm classic length now. 24/7 when I'm up at least, and down when I sleep. I love it that way! And of course it's down on wash day, but that's one day a week.

I hope you can give it some more thought. Don't do anything too drastic!

I want to try sleeping with my hair down. I have a silk pillowcase. Maybe I can give it a chance.

I dyed a very tiny streak in my bangs bright red today to distract myself from my length for a bit. My employer is the kind who doesn't mind (I have a male coworker with the same thing). I've never dyed anything a bright color like this before so it's really funny and distracting to me. I feel like a high schooler again.

I did that since I've been reading on here how tiny changes can make you slow down and think about not cutting for a while or something. So instead of chopping I did the silly alien red thing. :p It's easy to bleach it out of the bangs when I'm good and done with it, they're always trimmed anyway.

Lilith91
August 4th, 2016, 06:27 PM
The red streak sounds cool and fun!

I've noticed that the best deterrent from chopping, for me, is listening to/watching performances by Joanna Newsom, because she has the most gorgeous hair! I've been really wanting to cut it from hip to jawline, but listened to her latest album again today and am cured of the urge (for now). So I recommend her work as a way to cope!

Here's the glorious hair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1h2nF_uUE

vampyyri
August 4th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I want to try sleeping with my hair down. I have a silk pillowcase. Maybe I can give it a chance.

I dyed a very tiny streak in my bangs bright red today to distract myself from my length for a bit. My employer is the kind who doesn't mind (I have a male coworker with the same thing). I've never dyed anything a bright color like this before so it's really funny and distracting to me. I feel like a high schooler again.

I did that since I've been reading on here how tiny changes can make you slow down and think about not cutting for a while or something. So instead of chopping I did the silly alien red thing. :p It's easy to bleach it out of the bangs when I'm good and done with it, they're always trimmed anyway.

Don't do anything drastic, your hair is really pretty as it is!!!

Your newest signature picture is what my hair looked like at MBL when I wanted to hack it off too... hold off for a while and see if you change your mind. I've been living in buns daily just to distract myself from my progress (so it's always a surprise when I measure), and sometimes benign neglect is the way to go if you're frustrated with it. MBL is a tough place to be in, because it's past BSL and not quite WL... hold off until WL and you'll most likely find love for it again! They call it the mid-back abyss for a reason :lol:

lapushka
August 5th, 2016, 05:32 AM

That's a great "distraction" from snipping your hair! Don't get sucked into experimenting with color too too much, though. It can become a disaster esp. if you often change your mind, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I experimented with color too much and got a chemical burn & cut, but that was more than just one streak in the hair. So...

I'm glad you're happy with your touch of color! :D
And great that you haven't cut, too! :)

HairPlease
August 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone!

Vampyyri - really? That's awesome. I hope my hair continues to look like yours as it grows. You hair is thudworthy. :thud:

Lapushka, that's crazy, I bet that was a mess to deal with. I can't imagine. :eek: I doubt this streak will remain for more than a couple weeks, but I like how it fits my somewhat evil personality. Muahaha. Maybe I'll keep it around for longer, but I'm too used to being 100% blonde to do anything too drastic. I've been about 5 different shades of light blonde and gray blonde and I've loved most of them.

I'm considering putting a few braids into my hair, but I'm afraid of damaging the ends. I'd use super soft ribbons to tie the ends off and do it myself, but I feel hesitant. And I really, really, don't want to be mistaken for some boho hippy. :laugh: (Not that there's anything wrong with them)

QuietVixen
August 6th, 2016, 01:00 PM
I need to follow this rule every time. I've cut my hair back to shoulder length so many times, never again! I feel braiding my hair or trying other styles allow me to realize how much hairstyle opportunity I have. I also tend to put it up to avoid it distracting or flipping up to resist temptation to get it cut.

lapushka
August 6th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Lapushka, that's crazy, I bet that was a mess to deal with. I can't imagine. :eek: I doubt this streak will remain for more than a couple weeks, but I like how it fits my somewhat evil personality. Muahaha. Maybe I'll keep it around for longer, but I'm too used to being 100% blonde to do anything too drastic. I've been about 5 different shades of light blonde and gray blonde and I've loved most of them.

I'm considering putting a few braids into my hair, but I'm afraid of damaging the ends. I'd use super soft ribbons to tie the ends off and do it myself, but I feel hesitant. And I really, really, don't want to be mistaken for some boho hippy. :laugh: (Not that there's anything wrong with them)

Yeah, big mess! Learned my lesson, though, after many attempts (;)) - just a streak is nice, though, and those dyes don't hurt.

molljo
August 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Officially joining this thread. My hair had been looking very bushy and pyramid-y before I solved my protein problem, but even now that my hair's much smoother, it's still pyramid-y. It looks like a cape and my head looks really small. I've been itching to cut in layers, so if I still feel this passionately about them in 2 weeks, I will. I'm pretty close to bsl, so I'll be doing the compact cut with the ponytail on top of my head, only cutting a few inches off.

HairPlease
August 19th, 2016, 09:37 AM
So it's been almost 3 weeks and I'm still on and off about chop thoughts. One minute I love my long hair, and I can't wait for waist length. Next minute, I remember how much I love how thick and floofy my hair is at shoulder. I cannot make up my mind (I always have trouble making up my mind, it's a me thing).

going gray
August 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM
What an perfectly timely thread, lapushka thank you so much for starting it, obviously I'm not alone. One day I'm enjoying & loving my hair & the next day I remember how "chic" I looked with it "pixie!" Joined LHC back in 2005, and have gone back & forth with this exact issue 3 times! The truth is I can't seem to find my true "hair" self & I'm going to 70 soon!

I'm now at APL the longest hair I've ever had, never realized what a real commitment you ladies have made to keep your hair long, you really have to want it & enjoy it. There has always been tons of inspiration along the way, thank you all!

Think I'd be miserable if I chopped my hair short again, once & for all I have to reach my goal of BSL, it's about time.

lapushka
August 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM
So it's been almost 3 weeks and I'm still on and off about chop thoughts. One minute I love my long hair, and I can't wait for waist length. Next minute, I remember how much I love how thick and floofy my hair is at shoulder. I cannot make up my mind (I always have trouble making up my mind, it's a me thing).

What an perfectly timely thread, lapushka thank you so much for starting it, obviously I'm not alone. One day I'm enjoying & loving my hair & the next day I remember how "chic" I looked with it "pixie!" Joined LHC back in 2005, and have gone back & forth with this exact issue 3 times! The truth is I can't seem to find my true "hair" self & I'm going to 70 soon!

I'm now at APL the longest hair I've ever had, never realized what a real commitment you ladies have made to keep your hair long, you really have to want it & enjoy it. There has always been tons of inspiration along the way, thank you all!

Think I'd be miserable if I chopped my hair short again, once & for all I have to reach my goal of BSL, it's about time.

I find I teeter-tot between short and very long when my hair becomes just a "tad" bit uncomfortably long, which means classic+ for me. I find that by just cutting an inch or an inch or two, however much I'm over classic, solves it.

Maybe try that.

In any case go in small increments if you want to chop badly, because it might just be the length that is bothering you and a nice neaten-up might be enough.

HairPlease
August 19th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I find I teeter-tot between short and very long when my hair becomes just a "tad" bit uncomfortably long, which means classic+ for me. I find that by just cutting an inch or an inch or two, however much I'm over classic, solves it.

Maybe try that.

In any case go in small increments if you want to chop badly, because it might just be the length that is bothering you and a nice neaten-up might be enough.

I took about 5" off - to me that's a small increment, my hair still swings like "long hair."
I'm probably around APL. I don't think I need to go shorter, for now. :)

going gray
August 19th, 2016, 11:18 AM

Maybe try that.

Thanks for this excellent advice, going to take an inch or two off....Enjoy your weekend!

Lizskyhi
September 8th, 2016, 03:54 AM

Hello. ReadingRenee, The caption under the pic of your lovely coloured hair says: AGAIN. Which leads me to think how many times have you grown your hair to that length and/or beyond? Only you can decide which is the strongest urge: to have hair the length you want, dream of having, be that waist, hip or toe! Or to have a shorter style? I can only guess that you have made a chop or two then regretted it? I had blonde BSL and one day in my lunch time I went and got it chopped to ear lobe length, on a WHIM! I went home and my mum said Oh my G, your hair! What have you done to it!! I felt dreadful LOL. Took me awhile to grow it back. I will never forget that mournful time. Seems dramatic but that is how it felt at the time! Good idea for this thread ( I still think of sewing! ). Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:
Blessings from Australia :blossom:

lithostoic
September 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Been thinking for a couple weeks about getting side swept bangs and some light layering mostly around the face.

I looked awesome with bangs, and I really want to speed up the process of cutting out the damage. If I lament the growing out process, that's fine, because I need to cut off the rest of this bleach anyway and wouldn't mind a bit of a chop to even things out when the layers grow.

I've had similar hairstyles in the past and learned how to work with them without heat. My hair parts to the side very easily. I won't even need to use heat tools or even a hairdryer. If I do this, it won't be until late December or maybe even January. I have plenty of time to change my mind.

The Ubiquitous
September 8th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Thinking about it to make sure you're certain is a great idea BUT do not let time to consider become being scared and stop you from doing something you really want to do.
If you've always wanted a short haircut (whatever short means to you) or a certain hair colour etc then if you're getting "the itch" do give it a proper thought. You might decide not but you'll never know and might never get rid of the itch if you don't do it.

HairPlease
September 10th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Thinking about it to make sure you're certain is a great idea BUT do not let time to consider become being scared and stop you from doing something you really want to do.
If you've always wanted a short haircut (whatever short means to you) or a certain hair colour etc then if you're getting "the itch" do give it a proper thought. You might decide not but you'll never know and might never get rid of the itch if you don't do it.

That's where I was at for a while, too. As soon as I hit APL I missed shorter hair. I went on for many months, almost a year, and that longing never left me.

lithostoic
September 21st, 2016, 04:35 PM
Again thinking about going back to CBL. The aforementioned layered cut was going to be my compromise. But I don't think I'll be happy with that because of my bleach woes.

According to this very blurry picture, my bleached bits are about shoulder length. Maybe this December I'll do the same as last and cut it blunt to CBL.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14355580_10210960451035388_2774781996097686867_n.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f0da2cdd74220ef8c5e3d6e6f2b1b52c&oe=58832A67

Bezumi
September 21st, 2016, 05:04 PM
Again thinking about going back to CBL. The aforementioned layered cut was going to be my compromise. But I don't think I'll be happy with that because of my bleach woes.

According to this very blurry picture, my bleached bits are about shoulder length. Maybe this December I'll do the same as last and cut it blunt to CBL.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14355580_10210960451035388_2774781996097686867_n.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f0da2cdd74220ef8c5e3d6e6f2b1b52c&oe=58832A67
Do you want to cut it because you feel the bleached bits are too noticeable, or do you just miss the lenght/feel like the bleached bits are damaged?

lithostoic
September 21st, 2016, 05:23 PM
Bezumi My bleached bits are at least 3x thinner due to breakage. That's why I decided to grow out my virgin hair. I really want all virgin hair.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2016, 04:28 AM
lithostoic, why not microtrim? Even if you cut double your growth off, I mean that much, it is going to be less of a shock to the system than going back an entire milestone! :)

lithostoic
September 22nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
lapushka I already microtrim and it's taking too long, it's getting to the point where I hate my hair. It's so thin. The bottom half of my hair is i while the top half is on the upper end of ii.

ReadingRenee
September 22nd, 2016, 06:43 PM
I grew out bleach damage, and looking back I wish I had cut it all at once. Then I would have been able to enjoy the healthy ends and wonderful feel of my hair as it grew, rather than hating my hair and being frustrated by it for years while slowly trimming. It also made it feel like my hair didn't grow for 2 years or so because I kept trimming the bleach damage out.
Everyone is different and everyone has to do what is right for them, Im just offering my opinion based on experience. In pictures I think your hair actually looks great. But I know how bleach damage feels and I understand wanting to get rid of it.

lithostoic
September 22nd, 2016, 07:01 PM
... hating my hair and being frustrated by it for years while slowly trimming.

... In pictures I think your hair actually looks great. But I know how bleach damage feels and I understand wanting to get rid of it.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've been happy with my hair. It looks alright in pictures because you can't tell how thin it is in comparison to the rest of my hair.

I'm thinking APL instead of CBL. That way I don't lose all of my progress. I'll wait a while though, I have a rule that I can only get a cut yearly and that'll be late December.

Olavi
May 2nd, 2017, 04:29 PM
I hope it's okay to bring this back. Because lately I have been watching Victoria with Jenna Coleman, and her hair makes me want to cut my hair blunt (it's fairytale-ish now). But I have been working hard to get my current ends, so I will give it the two weeks, before I do the cut!

Pumpkin3826
January 30th, 2018, 01:40 PM
WHAT A GREAT TREAD!!!

It has been 1 year since my last hair cut. January 2017.. Seems soo long ago. I joined two "challenges" this year, the first being the wear hair up everyday, the second being not cutting at all in 2018. I have to say, 1 month into the challenge and I want to jump ship, I am fizzling out.. I have been wearing my hair up in a lazy wrap bun for the past 8-9 months before the challenge, and so I am just getting tired of it. First off I am feeling so bored with wearing my hair the same every single day.. Secondly the age old question "Why have long hair if you always wear it up?" I have long hair but I don't have any of the joy's of getting to wear it down.. but then when I wear it down I get so irritated with it being in the way that I put it up before I even get to work! There just seems to be no winning lately.. I just hit BCL recently, but my most favorite hair cut I have ever had was the inverted bob. I had that for 2 years, and I miss it all the time. I remember every few months when I would go get it trimmed I was so happy. I was taking time to take care of my self, and I just love the "stacking" of the hair in the back.. I am so so temped to just go make the chop and donate all my hair.. I am going to try to hold off on this urge until at least the spring. I am growing out blunt bangs currently and I would rather wait till those are at a good length to be able to blend into the inverted bob should I chose to go down that road. I am about 2 months into growing out the bangs.. The bangs were an attempt to fix my hair "boredom.." Big mistake.. Lol. My neck has been hurting and I get headaches and part of me is wondering if those are from wearing my hair in a bun every day.. Maybe I should try to wear it down more often and then I will get used to it down and it will not irritate me as much anymore and then my head and neck pain will go away.. :( Ugh, where is a magic 8 ball to make the decision for you when you need it..

Eastbound&Down
January 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM
WHAT A GREAT TREAD!!!

It has been 1 year since my last hair cut. January 2017.. Seems soo long ago. I joined two "challenges" this year, the first being the wear hair up everyday, the second being not cutting at all in 2018. I have to say, 1 month into the challenge and I want to jump ship, I am fizzling out.. I have been wearing my hair up in a lazy wrap bun for the past 8-9 months before the challenge, and so I am just getting tired of it. First off I am feeling so bored with wearing my hair the same every single day.. Secondly the age old question "Why have long hair if you always wear it up?" I have long hair but I don't have any of the joy's of getting to wear it down.. but then when I wear it down I get so irritated with it being in the way that I put it up before I even get to work! There just seems to be no winning lately.. I just hit BCL recently, but my most favorite hair cut I have ever had was the inverted bob. I had that for 2 years, and I miss it all the time. I remember every few months when I would go get it trimmed I was so happy. I was taking time to take care of my self, and I just love the "stacking" of the hair in the back.. I am so so temped to just go make the chop and donate all my hair.. I am going to try to hold off on this urge until at least the spring. I am growing out blunt bangs currently and I would rather wait till those are at a good length to be able to blend into the inverted bob should I chose to go down that road. I am about 2 months into growing out the bangs.. The bangs were an attempt to fix my hair "boredom.." Big mistake.. Lol. My neck has been hurting and I get headaches and part of me is wondering if those are from wearing my hair in a bun every day.. Maybe I should try to wear it down more often and then I will get used to it down and it will not irritate me as much anymore and then my head and neck pain will go away.. :( Ugh, where is a magic 8 ball to make the decision for you when you need it..

As someone who HAS to wear their hair up everyday for work, I literally day dream about the day when I can wear my hair down during the day! I just hit APL and don't plan to cut for this year, maybe trim up in 2019. I feel where you are coming from with getting bored with buns.

Dendra
January 30th, 2018, 02:45 PM
WHAT A GREAT TREAD!!!

I think if you are at the point of wanting to chop then wearing your hair down sometimes is okay! If it's a choice between long hair that's open to a little damage or long hair and headaches/unhappiness then I'd definitely go with the former. Come springtime you'll know what's best :)

lapushka
January 30th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Pumpkin3826, I would not bow out of 2 challenges in one go. Pick one. Maybe it's better to wear it down rather than cut it shorter? :flower: Also, maybe it is getting too long for your liking. And maybe yes, you have to get out the no trimming challenge too, snipping an inch off, and seeing if you like that better.

Sometimes when it gets a tad too long, we start dreaming of short-short styles; when all that really needs to happen is cut a few inches off to ease that itch.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Shorty89
January 30th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Ilm thinkng of putting some purple in my hennaed hair (streaks or similar). I'm worried about dye bleeding because I'm in a renal and don't want to stain things. Plus, oddly enough, the last rime I used Manic Panic my hair felt awful. If I try semis, it wouldn't bleed but would damage my hair.

AutobotsAttack
January 31st, 2018, 05:02 AM
Been having this feeling of cutting in bangs come over me like every couple of months. I absolutely love bangs. I like to have them bluntly cut and then taper a bit where my ears
start. I used to always have them in high school, and then let them grow out. REALLY been wanting them lately. Not to mention they shape my fave quite well. I don’t go to a
stylist since most of them don’t listen to me anyways, and I do a fairly good job with installing my own bangs, and trims and whatnot. What to, what to do. Only reason I’m kind of on the
fence at the moment, is because most times I rarely use heat,and I always have my hair in a bun, and especially when my new growth comes in the bangs refuse to lay down. Wasn’t a
problem back when my hair was APL or shorter.

MorningPerson
January 31st, 2018, 05:34 AM
What a helpful thread! I’m in a deliberative phase right now. I stopped coloring my hair years ago and now that it is APL with just a few inches of bleach left on the canopy layers I am getting the itch to either get some balayage to even it out or just chop off the colored bits. This is the longest my hair has ever been as an adult, so it seems particularly ludicrous to cut off so much. My natural hair color is dark blonde, so the bleach plus my natural highlights make a sort of beachy effect. Balayage would likely enhance that, but then it wouldn’t be my natural hair and I’m still quite curious what years of summer sun will do to my hair. You know what I mean?

AmberLouise89
February 3rd, 2018, 11:12 AM
For the past year I've kept getting these urges to add some black to my hair, like maybe dying the underside black. Every time I get one of these urges I just push it to the back of my mind and eventually the urge goes away but it always ends up coming back. Right now most of my waist length hair is dyed and I only have a little over a years worth of natural growth. I keep thinking that if I want to dye part of my hair black I should do it now because most of my hair is color treated anyways so it's not like I'm going to be ruining a bunch of natural growth. If I dye it black now it will only set me back a year in my end goal of going 100% natural, and a year to me in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem that long. I wear my hair braided 99% of the time so I think the black would look really cool in my braids. What do you do when you implement the two week rule and are able to push off the urge to do something only to have the idea repeatedly creep back into your thoughts weeks later? It's just frustrating because I really want to go 100% natural but I also can't stop thinking about adding black to my hair. I'm always able to talk myself out of it for the time being but sooner or later the urge comes back!

lapushka
February 3rd, 2018, 02:58 PM
For the past year I've kept getting these urges to add some black to my hair, like maybe dying the underside black. Every time I get one of these urges I just push it to the back of my mind and eventually the urge goes away but it always ends up coming back. Right now most of my waist length hair is dyed and I only have a little over a years worth of natural growth. I keep thinking that if I want to dye part of my hair black I should do it now because most of my hair is color treated anyways so it's not like I'm going to be ruining a bunch of natural growth. If I dye it black now it will only set me back a year in my end goal of going 100% natural, and a year to me in the grand scheme of things doesn't seem that long. I wear my hair braided 99% of the time so I think the black would look really cool in my braids. What do you do when you implement the two week rule and are able to push off the urge to do something only to have the idea repeatedly creep back into your thoughts weeks later? It's just frustrating because I really want to go 100% natural but I also can't stop thinking about adding black to my hair. I'm always able to talk myself out of it for the time being but sooner or later the urge comes back!

You're growing it out nicely though, and your hair barely has a line of demarcation between the dyed hair and the natural hair. Growing it out from here would be easy. If you were to add black dye (it is such a stretch from your natural hair!) that would make it all very difficult in the end. Something to think about, at least.

DakarNick
February 4th, 2018, 07:07 AM
For the past year I've kept getting these urges to add some black to my hair, like maybe dying the underside black. I wear my hair braided 99% of the time so I think the black would look really cool in my braids.

Well, it would look awesome!

thunderseed
March 7th, 2018, 03:08 PM

LoL this is exactly how I feel right now. I really want to cut it all off.

thunderseed
March 7th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Pumpkin3826, I would not bow out of 2 challenges in one go. Pick one. Maybe it's better to wear it down rather than cut it shorter? :flower: Also, maybe it is getting too long for your liking. And maybe yes, you have to get out the no trimming challenge too, snipping an inch off, and seeing if you like that better.

Sometimes when it gets a tad too long, we start dreaming of short-short styles; when all that really needs to happen is cut a few inches off to ease that itch.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Good idea, I think I might try to do a nice big trim and see if that helps.

valkyrie90
March 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Idk if this thread is for me because a 2cm trim is no way a big change lol . I just feel like trimming my hair to get rid of my flippy hemline but I also don't like to loose length . I need you guys' opinion , though . Does my hair deserve a trim ? And how much is enough, then ? Sorry for the dark pic , though .

http://i63.tinypic.com/wgyn20.jpg

Reyn127
March 14th, 2018, 10:12 AM
OH MY GOODNESS! Now I know there’s a hair dream thread, but I thought this might be appropriate here: i had a dream this morning where, somehow my boyfriend convinced me to cut off my hair and I immediately did. It was at about collar bone length, and right away in the dream I was saying how sad I was, and how I should have instilled the two-week wait, hahaha. And then I woke up and all the stress went away Abend I realized it was just a dream.

lapushka
March 14th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Idk if this thread is for me because a 2cm trim is no way a big change lol . I just feel like trimming my hair to get rid of my flippy hemline but I also don't like to loose length . I need you guys' opinion , though . Does my hair deserve a trim ? And how much is enough, then ? Sorry for the dark pic , though .

I think your hemline is perfect. Don't touch it, not even with a 2cm trim, is my advice. :)

OH MY GOODNESS! Now I know there’s a hair dream thread, but I thought this might be appropriate here: i had a dream this morning where, somehow my boyfriend convinced me to cut off my hair and I immediately did. It was at about collar bone length, and right away in the dream I was saying how sad I was, and how I should have instilled the two-week wait, hahaha. And then I woke up and all the stress went away Abend I realized it was just a dream.

Thank goodness it was just a dream. Well, nightmare. ;)

valkyrie90
March 14th, 2018, 11:29 AM
I think your hemline is perfect. Don't touch it, not even with a 2cm trim, is my advice. :)

Thank goodness it was just a dream. Well, nightmare. ;)

I thought it's getting thin but it stays the same just flippy it annoys me but I don't wanna keep trimming to keep a blunt end while my hemline just all about getting flippy the longer it gets . Or it's becoz of the layers ? I guess I will postpone the trim , then . I want length more than blunt hemline lol .

lapushka
March 14th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I thought it's getting thin but it stays the same just flippy it annoys me but I don't wanna keep trimming to keep a blunt end while my hemline just all about getting flippy the longer it gets . Or it's becoz of the layers ? I guess I will postpone the trim , then . I want length more than blunt hemline lol .

Doesn't look thin to me. Maybe take a few more pictures, and then see. Don't base your decision on just one picture. Hair can lay differently day to day, moment to moment, week to week. I even made a thread on it where you can show off the differences. :)

Alex Lou
August 28th, 2018, 10:25 PM
I think I should cut my hair to midback or waist. I think it will be easier and I'd like to be as low maintenance as possible and wear it down more. It's too long to wear down when it's windy.

I was on a boat for 3 hours whale/dolphin watching. It was awesome but I burned on my neck and shoulders. I don't own a hat that would have stayed on in the wind. And I wore a quality sunscreen but I'm a redhead and will burn regardless in those conditions. I live in southern California. It's sunny year round and I enjoy outdoor activities and the beach. I feel like I should wear my hair down to protect my skin.

Stray_mind
August 28th, 2018, 11:32 PM
I am thinking of cutting out all of the dye now which would but my hair at... not even chin length...
I am not feeling well lately emotionally and as always i want to take it out on my hair haha.

Still giving myself two weeks.

Longlegs
August 28th, 2018, 11:41 PM
I think it's an emotional thing for a lot of people. I've heard of so many people who have cut their hair off after a relationship breakdown, death of a loved one, loosing their job etc etc......

LittleHealthy
August 29th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Stray_Mind,

What is the condition of your dyed section? It doesn’t look bad in photos! If you are unsure then chances are there is likelihood of you regretting it ;)

Stray_mind
August 29th, 2018, 04:06 AM
Stray_Mind,

What is the condition of your dyed section? It doesn’t look bad in photos! If you are unsure then chances are there is likelihood of you regretting it ;)

My dyed section tangles a lot, the ends look dry and are bent in weird ways. I don't think it's my wave pattern that caused them to look like that.

Photos often do not show the reality because of the light and my hair being rather shiny (one of the Good things about my hair. )..

I know i might regret it, because my hair will grow back to shoulder for another year at least and i will Have to get layers again, if i want to cut the dye out.

And yet the urge is in the back of my head and so i am giving it time. If after two weeks it is still there, i will cut.

embee
August 29th, 2018, 04:40 AM
I know i might regret it, because my hair will grow back to shoulder for another year at least and i will Have to get layers again, if i want to cut the dye out.

And yet the urge is in the back of my head and so i am giving it time. If after two weeks it is still there, i will cut.

Be careful with those scissors. ;) You have enough stress in your life right now to last for a long time, and adding hair-cut regret may not improve your situation (IMHO).

Stray_mind
August 29th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Be careful with those scissors. ;) You have enough stress in your life right now to last for a long time, and adding hair-cut regret may not improve your situation (IMHO).

Thank you for the encouragement, i will be careful :blossom:

Lady Stardust
August 29th, 2018, 06:15 PM
I am thinking of cutting out all of the dye now which would but my hair at... not even chin length...
I am not feeling well lately emotionally and as always i want to take it out on my hair haha.

Personally, it would take a lot to make me want to go back to above shoulder length. I just found it so awkward, one side would curl under and the other would flip out, it looked ridiculous a lot of the time.

Maybe your hair was better behaved at that length?

Do you think that trimming, say, an inch would make the dyed part feel better? Or do you want to be done with the dye?

Stray_mind
August 31st, 2018, 05:55 AM
Personally, it would take a lot to make me want to go back to above shoulder length. I just found it so awkward, one side would curl under and the other would flip out, it looked ridiculous a lot of the time.

Maybe your hair was better behaved at that length?

Do you think that trimming, say, an inch would make the dyed part feel better? Or do you want to be done with the dye?

The entire dyed section feels weird.

But i think i will leave it be for now at least. Maybe if i Really itch to trim, i will trim a couple of inches off.
I think my entire hair thinned out, because of stress and lack of good quality food (don't have time to eat at work, so i eat one time a day). I started taking multivitamins, i hope it helps with the shedding.

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 06:26 AM
I think I should cut my hair to midback or waist. I think it will be easier and I'd like to be as low maintenance as possible and wear it down more. It's too long to wear down when it's windy.

I was on a boat for 3 hours whale/dolphin watching. It was awesome but I burned on my neck and shoulders. I don't own a hat that would have stayed on in the wind. And I wore a quality sunscreen but I'm a redhead and will burn regardless in those conditions. I live in southern California. It's sunny year round and I enjoy outdoor activities and the beach. I feel like I should wear my hair down to protect my skin.

If you want to enjoy your hair more, and this is the way to do it... go for it, girl. You only live once, right? :flower:

That would be quite short. You would have to pass all those awkward stages all over again. Maybe instead join the microtrimming thread if you *do* end up wanting to cut it. I would go slowly with the dye. Sloooowly!

Maybe go to BSL first, then microtrim? Does that sound do-able? :) :flower:

xoAshley
August 31st, 2018, 07:00 AM
That would be quite short. You would have to pass all those awkward stages all over again. Maybe instead join the microtrimming thread if you *do* end up wanting to cut it. I would go slowly with the dye. Sloooowly!

I suuuuuper agree with Lapushka. Hair at not even chin length would come with ALL the awkward stages... I think it would be way too annoying to take care of and you wouldn't really be able to even put it up and out of the way at that length... don't do it!

Stray_mind
August 31st, 2018, 11:16 AM
If you want to enjoy your hair more, and this is the way to do it... go for it, girl. You only live once, right? :flower:

I don't think my dyed part can make it to BSL without breaking off everywhere and my hemline becoming even worse.
I think most i can go to is APL. My hair just annoys me now. I am trying to keep it up and out of my face.

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 03:21 PM
I don't think my dyed part can make it to BSL without breaking off everywhere and my hemline becoming even worse.
I think most i can go to is APL. My hair just annoys me now. I am trying to keep it up and out of my face.

APL; sounds like a plan. :)

Alex Lou
August 31st, 2018, 10:27 PM
I think I'm pretty decided. I just need to find time to go to a salon. Although today my mom said how beautiful and long my hair is and that she was never able to grow her hair to her waist. Made me second guess just a bit.

I'm going to agree with you that the cut may be a good idea. Sure, growing out short hair again will be awkward, but having 2 toned hair when you don't want it is just as awkward. Anyway, I think your hair looked great in the growing out phase. You seem to have just the right texture for those layers.

Alex Lou
September 4th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Well I did it. Had about 8 inches cut off. I can still do a Gibraltar and nautilus which is what I was hoping for. The Gibraltar is less wonky and the nautilus is more messy. I should be able to do sock buns again too which I found unwieldy with my hair longer. It's at waist. Feels really short!

Natalia_A00
September 4th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I have always had fairly short hair, and I never actually liked it. Sometimes I even hated my hair, it looked messy and the layers didn't help. Maybe there was too much volume. Now at MBL, I can say I really like my hair. And whenever I look at my old pictures, I think eww I didn't look pretty. But still sometimes I wonder how I would look today with a shorter look. Whenever I think about that, I just have to look at my awful old pictures to realize that what I see in my imagination is not the reality. Yep, short hair is not for me.

lapushka
September 5th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Well I did it. Had about 8 inches cut off. I can still do a Gibraltar and nautilus which is what I was hoping for. The Gibraltar is less wonky and the nautilus is more messy. I should be able to do sock buns again too which I found unwieldy with my hair longer. It's at waist. Feels really short!

I was wondering about when you were going for the cut, and if you were. I'm glad it turned out to your liking! :flower: That's what it's about, about feeling great with the decision you make whether or not it's a cut or no cut.

Alex Lou
September 9th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Here's my cut. I really am happy with it. This is a great, easy length.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33282&d=1536534491
The hemline is actually evenly cut (in a u shape), it just doesn't lay that way.

AmaryllisRed
September 9th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Alex, it looks beautiful!

Hi, everyone. :waves:

I'm having chopping thoughts.
I'm at BCL, thinking about cutting back to shoulder.
Just thinking at this point.
I'm curious whether I will feel the same way for two weeks. I've been thinking about a chop a lot lately...

xoAshley
September 9th, 2018, 05:57 PM

I'm curious whether I will feel the same way for two weeks. I've been thinking about a chop a lot lately...

Ahhh no! Too much at once. If you are serious about a cut I’d start with a few inches only and then if you still want more, go for it. That way it leaves less room for regret. BCL to shoulder is just sooo much hair.

AmaryllisRed
September 9th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Ahhh no! Too much at once. If you are serious about a cut I’d start with a few inches only and then if you still want more, go for it. That way it leaves less room for regret. BCL to shoulder is just sooo much hair.

You think? Idk. Since boredom is my problem, wouldn't I still be bored if I cut just a few inches?
Although... it's only been like the last few inches that I've stopped doing styles. I don't know if that's due to length and would be solved by cutting or if it's due to just how long I've had long hair.

Crna Kosa
September 9th, 2018, 09:30 PM
I have an urge to dye my hair, I am afraid that the hairstylist would damage it . I wan't to dye it but also grow it. I don't know anything about hair coloring, I have a virgin medium brown hair. I have always adored black hair .I hope this urge will pass in two weeks I need to be more patient . Maybe I'll dye it in a couple of years when I reach my goal length, but that seems so long for me.

Alex Lou
September 9th, 2018, 11:08 PM

Thank you. :)

I'm seconding incremental cuts as the safe option. But if your know what you want, then you know what you want. Would you miss being able to put you hair up in a bun? I suppose you could still do ponies and braids.

I have an urge to dye my hair, I am afraid that the hairstylist would damage it . I wan't to dye it but also grow it. I don't know anything about hair coloring, I have a virgin medium brown hair. I have always adored black hair .I hope this urge will pass in two weeks I need to be more patient . Maybe I'll dye it in a couple of years when I reach my goal length, but that seems so long for me.
How about a temporary vegetable dye? Even temporary black can have a tint that will stay forever, but that's mostly a problem for blonds and I think it will be okay since your hair is brown. Just don't use bleach or peroxide and your hair won't be damaged.

xoAshley
September 10th, 2018, 08:01 AM
You think? Idk. Since boredom is my problem, wouldn't I still be bored if I cut just a few inches?
Although... it's only been like the last few inches that I've stopped doing styles. I don't know if that's due to length and would be solved by cutting or if it's due to just how long I've had long hair.

Yeah, especially now that you say it's only been the last few inches that you've stopped doing styles. I mean, even cutting back to waist or mid-back might be a good start but enough inches to satisfy the boredom. If you find it still doesn't suite you, go for shoulder :) But I always find small steps are better when getting big cuts like that... cause if you end up regretting the cut, it'll take ages to grow back from shoulder =/

BUT, in the end, do what you think will make you the happiest! :flowers:

lapushka
September 11th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Alex Lou, that's very pretty! :)

Alex Lou
September 11th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Alex Lou, that's very pretty! :)

Thank you! :D I may go to a different stylist and see about getting the hemline trimmed in a softer/more forgiving way. It's very blunt.

And now I have an urge to henna.. very lightly.

Stray_mind
September 11th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Still thinking about trimming, but maybe not so much as i planned. Only a couple of inches of hair.

I just really miss my hair dresser and i don't like my ends. I wanna get rid of the dye asap.

Ylva
November 20th, 2018, 08:50 PM
I already wrote about this in the Classic by Christmas 2019 thread, but I think it belongs here as well.

The past few months I've been under a lot of stress from various sources, which has resulted in a multitude of health problems for me, including thinning of my ends, which were already on the thin side, notably fairytale'd. When my hair is braided, the non-braided end bit is half the thickness it was just a while ago. That a fall shed has taken place is not out of question either.

I'm participating in the latter half of no-trimming 2018 and I'm determined to finish it, but what I will do after that is another question. There's certainly more than two weeks to think about it, but I need some clarity. I am honestly considering cutting the very thinnest ends off in early January (about 5-10 cm, 2-4 in). They're damaged and grabby. The other option is to just do what I planned to do anyway, which is microtrim (0.5 cm monthly, perhaps starting with 1-2 cm) from January onward.

I don't know if I should scrap my goal of reaching classic by the end of 2019 or not. I don't know what the wisest and most mature decision is at this point of my hair journey.

elfynity
November 21st, 2018, 11:26 AM
Ylva, I think if it was me, I would microtrim - you may reach your goal, but at what cost to the look and health of your ends.

MusicalSpoons
November 21st, 2018, 01:40 PM
I don't know if I should scrap my goal of reaching classic by the end of 2019 or not. I don't know what the wisest and most mature decision is at this point of my hair journey.

At this point I'd usually say, "which one would make you happiest?" but I've been realising lately that sometimes there is no clear 'better' choice. Maybe, which one is more important to you, length or nicer ends? Which would you rather live with or aim for during the year?

I think microtrimming is always a good compromise, to be honest, because you can evaluate where you are after each microtrim and when they truly are tiny trims, if you regret it at any point you won't have lost too much length anyway. And if you decide at any point that actually your ends still aren't nice enough, you still have the option of cutting off a little more if you really want. :flower:

Ylva
November 21st, 2018, 02:38 PM
Ylva, I think if it was me, I would microtrim - you may reach your goal, but at what cost to the look and health of your ends.

The ends are going, without a doubt, sooner or later.

At this point I'd usually say, "which one would make you happiest?" but I've been realising lately that sometimes there is no clear 'better' choice. Maybe, which one is more important to you, length or nicer ends? Which would you rather live with or aim for during the year?

I think microtrimming is always a good compromise, to be honest, because you can evaluate where you are after each microtrim and when they truly are tiny trims, if you regret it at any point you won't have lost too much length anyway. And if you decide at any point that actually your ends still aren't nice enough, you still have the option of cutting off a little more if you really want. :flower:

That's what I thought, too. I can always opt for a bigger cut later and for as long as I can tolerate my ends, it's all good with just microtrimming.

lapushka
November 21st, 2018, 05:01 PM
I'm participating in the latter half of no-trimming 2018 and I'm determined to finish it, but what I will do after that is another question. There's certainly more than two weeks to think about it, but I need some clarity. I am honestly considering cutting the very thinnest ends off in early January (about 5-10 cm, 2-4 in). They're damaged and grabby. The other option is to just do what I planned to do anyway, which is microtrim (0.5 cm monthly, perhaps starting with 1-2 cm) from January onward.

Maybe do half that trim in January (so 2 inches only), and then join the half year, and re-assess after 6 more months. You could then chop the other half of that off, or continue no-trimming, by which you will complete another year.

I would not be all doom & gloom over it right now. Just give it lots of time and make a decision with a clear mind.

I know it has not been easy that you have thinner ends, but honestly, Ylva, it's not bad at all. I have thinner ends than you! Yes, they are cut into the hair, but still! Who knows that difference but us, right?

Ylva
November 21st, 2018, 05:38 PM
Maybe do half that trim in January (so 2 inches only), and then join the half year, and re-assess after 6 more months. You could then chop the other half of that off, or continue no-trimming, by which you will complete another year.

I would not be all doom & gloom over it right now. Just give it lots of time and make a decision with a clear mind.

I know it has not been easy that you have thinner ends, but honestly, Ylva, it's not bad at all. I have thinner ends than you! Yes, they are cut into the hair, but still! Who knows that difference but us, right?

Unfortunately I don't think no-trimming is the right choice for me and I think my hair would be better off with continuous trimming. I remember what you said about my ends in September when I was worrying over them. I wish they were still like that! But they have become thinner. :(

lapushka
November 21st, 2018, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately I don't think no-trimming is the right choice for me and I think my hair would be better off with continuous trimming. I remember what you said about my ends in September when I was worrying over them. I wish they were still like that! But they have become thinner. :(

Seriously? But Ylva, what happened? Maybe microtrimming then? It's a good option, and you would still gain a bit of growth.

Ylva
November 21st, 2018, 05:47 PM
Seriously? But Ylva, what happened? Maybe microtrimming then? It's a good option, and you would still gain a bit of growth.

I think it must be a combination of stress and a fall shed. The poofy end of my braid is half the thickness it was two months ago, unless I'm SERIOUSLY exaggerating, but I don't think I am. I will definitely at least microtrim next year, and I hope I have the patience for not seeing any big change in one go, but we will see. Maybe only one microtrim will make my hair feel noticeably better, who knows. This just kinda really took me by surprise and it upsets me a bit. I thought I was one of those people whose head-hair wasn't affected by stress. I knew my eyelashes always started falling off when I was stressed for a longer period of time, and I got stress hives (rash), but I never noticed any change in my hair. Stress is so scary.

Breakage is also a potential cuplrit in addition to everything else, as I haven't noticed so much thinning higher up.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
I think it must be a combination of stress and a fall shed. The poofy end of my braid is half the thickness it was two months ago, unless I'm SERIOUSLY exaggerating, but I don't think I am. I will definitely at least microtrim next year, and I hope I have the patience for not seeing any big change in one go, but we will see. Maybe only one microtrim will make my hair feel noticeably better, who knows. This just kinda really took me by a surprise and it upsets me a bit. I thought I was one of those people whose head-hair wasn't affected by stress. I knew my eyelashes always started falling off when I was stressed for a longer period of time, and I got stress hives (rash), but I never noticed any change in my hair. Stress is so scary.

Breakage is also a potential cuplrit in addition to everything else, as I haven't noticed so much thinning higher up.

OMG. I believe you; I have no reason to doubt you at all. I picked up in another thread that you did a lot of damage to that last bit, so maybe that 2-4 inch trim at the start of the year will be a relief. And then maybe go for 6 months of no-trimming, or: microtrim, it's up to you! I would, however, wait to see how you feel after that cut. Because 2-4 inches is *quite a bit of hair* and it can be such a difference already!

Good luck to you, Ylva! :flower:

I've been there, trust me. I had a lot of breakage when I got my chemical cut & burn and that was a lousy feeling to have. :(

Ylva
November 22nd, 2018, 09:04 AM
OMG. I believe you; I have no reason to doubt you at all. I picked up in another thread that you did a lot of damage to that last bit, so maybe that 2-4 inch trim at the start of the year will be a relief. And then maybe go for 6 months of no-trimming, or: microtrim, it's up to you! I would, however, wait to see how you feel after that cut. Because 2-4 inches is *quite a bit of hair* and it can be such a difference already!

Good luck to you, Ylva! :flower:

I've been there, trust me. I had a lot of breakage when I got my chemical cut & burn and that was a lousy feeling to have. :(

I also think it will be a relief, as soon as I get rid of this stupid "but I won't be at this and this milestone anymore!" feeling, because in the end, milestones don't matter if I don't feel happy about my hair and if my ends are just breaking off anyway. For a while I thought I could get away with it and run faster than my old damage by taking really good care of my hair, but the skeletons seem to be catching up. :lol: I think the right thing to do is to just take the leap and cut off the thinnest layer in the ends.

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. :)

Laura1986
November 22nd, 2018, 11:33 AM
This thread is such a good idea lapushka :)

I also think it will be a relief, as soon as I get rid of this stupid "but I won't be at this and this milestone anymore!" feeling, because in the end, milestones don't matter if I don't feel happy about my hair and if my ends are just breaking off anyway. For a while I thought I could get away with it and run faster than my old damage by taking really good care of my hair, but the skeletons seem to be catching up. :lol: I think the right thing to do is to just take the leap and cut off the thinnest layer in the ends.

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. :)

Ylva that sounds really wise.. especially "milestones don't matter if I don't feel happy about my hair".
Is there a section where hair wisdom collected? I think this should be in such a collection..

Ylva
November 22nd, 2018, 02:30 PM
Ylva that sounds really wise.. especially "milestones don't matter if I don't feel happy about my hair".
Is there a section where hair wisdom collected? I think this should be in such a collection..

Aww, thank you. It's been a difficult thing for me to come to terms with, I'm not sure I even have fully yet, but I know it's something I have to do. It will be a lesson in patience for me.

Ju
November 27th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I wish I had this rule when I was younger, I was a serial offender of impromptu cuts and dyes. For example I saw a girl with nice copper hair in the super market, and while I always liked that hair I didn't really think out my process - but I went straight to the chemist for some box dye and went in for it. Except the colour was pretty wrong and I ended up with dark purplish hair for some time.. Not to mention it was new years eve and my hair stank of dye at the party that night.
Or one time in college, my friend and I were watching New Girl, and decided that Zooey Deschannel looked so good with a fringe that we needed one too. Pulled the scissors out of the pen jar and had bangs before the end of the episode. Also definitely cut them back in another time when I had had a few to drink and was getting ready with my girlfriends and thought bangs would suit my going out look that night. They looked good, but I always forget how permanent a decisision that it, especially when I spend like two years growing them out!!
Or when I saw blonde hair dye 2 for 1 at supermarket and I was like 'i guess i need to dye my hair blonde tonight!!" and then did the worst job of it possible.
I'm glad I respect my hair a lot more now!!!

lapushka
November 27th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I'm glad I respect my hair a lot more now!!!

That's a good thing! :thumbsup:

When I was younger, I was far more impulsive than I am now. I think maybe it comes with age. :shrug: And I have had bad experiments with dyes and such so, I was over that *fast* when that went wrong.

toastertroodle
November 29th, 2018, 11:54 AM
I’m thinking of doing a chop from APL to about chin length in order to get rid of my layers. I always feel a lot of excitement followed by a bit of remorse later on after cutting length off because months later I’ll sit and wonder how long my hair would be if I hadn’t cut it. That being said, these layers are driving me nuts! They are thin and flippy and I just want my one length hair back. I had the same urge a couple of weeks ago but started deep conditioning and wearing my hair up everyday in order to just not think about it and that was working just fine until today. I just can’t decide what would make me more happy with my hair, the length or not having any layers.

Ylva
November 29th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I’m thinking of doing a chop from APL to about chin length in order to get rid of my layers. I always feel a lot of excitement followed by a bit of remorse later on after cutting length off because months later I’ll sit and wonder how long my hair would be if I hadn’t cut it. That being said, these layers are driving me nuts! They are thin and flippy and I just want my one length hair back. I had the same urge a couple of weeks ago but started deep conditioning and wearing my hair up everyday in order to just not think about it and that was working just fine until today. I just can’t decide what would make me more happy with my hair, the length or not having any layers.

Maybe you could just trim off one layer at a time for now. It would allow you to figure that out as you are progressing towards your goal, but you wouldn't lose crazy amounts of length at once while still being a major improvement in terms of getting rid of the layers.

toastertroodle
November 30th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Ylva that’s a smart idea! I trimmed about .5” off my length last night and that seems to have cured my itch for now. If it comes back though I might just trim off one layer first like you said!

gustavonut
December 1st, 2018, 07:08 AM
I cut my hair short after thinking about it for 4 weeks, haha.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 07:28 AM
I cut my hair short after thinking about it for 4 weeks, haha.

Is it the cut in your avatar? That's the cut I used to have in my childhood. A page-boy cut. Brings back so many memories for me. Had it age 5/6 and age 10/11. In between those years, I grew to classic. :D

gustavonut
December 1st, 2018, 07:59 AM
Is it the cut in your avatar? That's the cut I used to have in my childhood. A page-boy cut. Brings back so many memories for me. Had it age 5/6 and age 10/11. In between those years, I grew to classic. :D

It’s like a half pageboy cut and half short bob. Whatever it is, i love it.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 09:07 AM

It looks cute! :D

Ylva
December 1st, 2018, 09:08 AM

It is indeed very cute and suits your face very well! :)

VenusianMane
December 1st, 2018, 09:22 AM

Yes! It is such a look! It is so stylish, precise and intentional, makes me think of a TV show or movie character :)

Suortuva
December 1st, 2018, 03:44 PM
Yeah, your new hair cut is really pretty gustavonut, congratulations!

gustavonut
December 2nd, 2018, 06:07 AM
Thank you lapuska, Yiva, VenusianMane, and Suortuva!!
I feel so much more confident now. :o

blackgothicdoll
February 5th, 2019, 09:26 PM
I'm really considering henna. If it could loosen my texture even a little, my hair would be more managable, and it has plenty of benefits. I don't think the deposit would be too noticable on my hair. But it on very few grays they turn bright orange so I'm not sure. Hmm...

Ylva
February 26th, 2019, 02:54 PM
I'm considering another bigger trim. My last chop was at New Year and I've had one microtrim since. I have a hairdresser appointment on the 18th of March. I'm thinking of maybe cutting off half of the transparent bit at the ends? I mean, I fully plan on getting rid of it eventually, so why not do it now? It'll only get me back to where I ended up after my New Year's trim.

https://i.ibb.co/rp3nCbV/ends.jpg

lapushka
February 26th, 2019, 03:17 PM
I say go for it. Slowly but surely those ends will go, Ylva.

tekla
February 26th, 2019, 03:27 PM
I say go for it. Slowly but surely those ends will go, Ylva.

Second that. I bet getting thicker ends will be worth sacrificing a couple of centimeters.

Groovy Granny
February 26th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I third it...and did the same thing essentially when I was micro trimming my layers.

Ylva
February 26th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your input, guys. I'm thinking I'd chop off half of it this time, then do a microtrim next time (6 weeks from the 18th) and then cut up to or close to where it becomes thick, maybe.

Groovy Granny
February 26th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your input, guys. I'm thinking I'd chop off half of it this time, then do a microtrim next time (6 weeks from the 18th) and then cut up to or close to where it becomes thick, maybe.

Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

Hope you post pics :popcorn:

Ylva
February 27th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

Hope you post pics :popcorn:

Of course I will! :)

I’m pretty sure I’ve decided to do that now, but if I can pull out the courage, I might chop it all off in one go.

Cate36
February 27th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Get a wig.. short wig.. and try it for a couple of days.. at home only if you don't want to go out wearing it..? See if that helps? (post pictures :) ) I am never going to cut my hair again (aside from the fringe) I rarely cut anyway, but it's half the thickness and shorter from the damage I did last year and also from shedding in Jan.. one month into recovery..

Cate36
February 27th, 2019, 02:26 AM

I've thought about it... but not going to trim the thin parts until they are past my bum... (sitting length) which is about 4 months away... very very thin at the bottom.. thickest at my neck... and down to my bra strap you cannot see my back through my hair.. lower than that I am struggling and very upset by the back view of myself in the mirror. Well upset by it all.. rarely go a few mins without worrying about it. But Yiva, your hair is so so beautiful, doesn't look thin at the back.. I think you can get away with it...

Ylva
February 27th, 2019, 02:36 AM
I've thought about it... but not going to trim the thin parts until they are past my bum... (sitting length) which is about 4 months away... very very thin at the bottom.. thickest at my neck... and down to my bra strap you cannot see my back through my hair.. lower than that I am struggling and very upset by the back view of myself in the mirror. Well upset by it all.. rarely go a few mins without worrying about it. But Yiva, your hair is so so beautiful, doesn't look thin at the back.. I think you can get away with it...

Thank you very much, Cate. :) I could probably get away with it, but I don't want to, because having thin ends does my hair no good. The ends are damaged and tangly. It's a project to get rid of the damage. :)

Laura1986
March 26th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Guys, I'm starting to have a hard time of not cutting it shorter again. I'm just barely at SL and the amount of ticklish hair (just a characteristic of my hair in general, only not noticeable when it is so short it doesn't get in my face) is maddening. So, I need to pull it back into a small bun in order to get through the day and to be able to focus on other stuff than haircuts (my internship and ensuing bachelors thesis are about to start, I have enough to do^^).

I'm okayish with the current look of my hair, but..
I want some bangs/face framing layers to play down my high forehead and I want to be able to wear my hair loose and enjoy that as well.

Ideas?

I like short and long and medium hair lengths on other people, it just need to suit somebody. In general, I prefer healthy and natural looking, well taken care of hair. Question is what will work for me?

(Crossposted from the shorties thread)

lapushka
March 26th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Guys, I'm starting to have a hard time of not cutting it shorter again. I'm just barely at SL and the amount of ticklish hair (just a characteristic of my hair in general, only not noticeable when it is so short it doesn't get in my face) is maddening. So, I need to pull it back into a small bun in order to get through the day and to be able to focus on other stuff than haircuts (my internship and ensuing bachelors thesis are about to start, I have enough to do^^).

I want some bangs/face framing layers to play down my high forehead and I want to be able to wear my hair loose and enjoy that as well.

Ideas?

I like short and long and medium hair lengths on other people, it just need to suit somebody. In general, I prefer healthy and natural looking, well taken care of hair. Question is what will work for me?

Maybe pull it back into a half up, then make a low ponytail with the remainder of the hair. It's a few of the "tricks" I had up my sleeve when it wasn't yet long enough.

But you are at an awkward length.

At this point you have to ask yourself what it is that you want. If it's long hair, then cutting back will slow you down considerably, and in a few months' time, you'll be running into the same issues.

If you persist now, this stage *will* pass.

Good luck with whatever you decide; just don't let impulse guide you!

:flower:

Laura1986
March 26th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Maybe pull it back into a half up, then make a low ponytail with the remainder of the hair. It's a few of the "tricks" I had up my sleeve when it wasn't yet long enough.

But you are at an awkward length.

At this point you have to ask yourself what it is that you want. If it's long hair, then cutting back will slow you down considerably, and in a few months' time, you'll be running into the same issues.

If you persist now, this stage *will* pass.

Good luck with whatever you decide; just don't let impulse guide you!

:flower:

I can pull my hair back into a small bun or ponytail right now, that`s not an issue.

I don't know what length I finally want. I thought I want a lob, but since I'm almost there and find my hair a bit annoying I start to question this..

How does one find out their 'ideal' haircut?

PS: this is not going to be an impulse thing, I'm just carefully considering what is best for me and I an grateful for this thread (whole forum actually)

Agava
March 26th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Laura, try with changing the side you're parting your hair, for instance.
I've recently rediscovered middle hair parting where I sleek hair into low ponytail. It's a nice change.
Or you might try hair/head band, style like from '60's.

Groovy Granny
March 26th, 2019, 10:08 AM

Ideas?

I'd go back to when you WERE short and think about what caused you to grow longer.

What length will be easier for YOU to manage on a day to day basis?

Bangs require more care as does shorter lengths day to day to keep the style, and month to month to keep the shape.

When I think back on MY long hair journey, long hair is much easier, versatile, and fun.

We can give you all sorts of ideas but in the end it is YOU who will be living with it on your busy schedule ;)

At this length, just a bit more growth gives a whole different feel which you may find more to your liking.

It is good you are taking time to consider the options, then go with your gut.
I am sure you will come to right decision, and if you change your mind down the road....it is an easy fix to cut, but longer to grow back out :cheer:

Agava
March 26th, 2019, 10:08 AM
My ideal hairstyle is where I feel good, when I don't have to spend a lot of time to make what I want of it, and when I'm (almost) always sure it looks good.
Before you decide to cut, try out what can you make, change in your style with this length.

What Lapushka is saying, I agree. If you cut now, soon you'll have to go through the same again.
I would, at your place wait a little bit. Maybe you're annoyed with this length now, but in 2-3 months you won't feel the same.

Jessica Jones
March 26th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Very nice idea,
I believe I did 2 or three major cut in my 27 years of age.
I liked how lighter I felt my head and I am kinda sure I did it because i wanted to feel a big change in my appearance and see more volumised free styles in my hair.
Thruth is though I wasnt a person that wants to deal with hair often, so I think I didnt experiment as much on my various lengths.
Now I am determined i want waist length and keep it that way. I like braiding or just putting an easy bun and have instantly hair out of the way.
With sorter legths it was harder to braid or keep away all of my hair from neck or face.
I dont mind right now if I do some extra stuff and leave it to airdry I feel its a part that I love and I dont mind be careful with it from now on.

Laura1986
March 26th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Laura, try with changing the side you're parting your hair, for instance.
I've recently rediscovered middle hair parting where I sleek hair into low ponytail. It's a nice change.
Or you might try hair/head band, style like from '60's.

I have indeed played around with different partings, that changes things up noticeably. Side parts seem to work for my face shape and hair type. Middle parts elongates my face even further, so I like the side part more.

I am not a hair- or headband kind of girl, but hairtoys in general help with the putting hair up in a nicer way :)

My ideal hairstyle is where I feel good, when I don't have to spend a lot of time to make what I want of it, and when I'm (almost) always sure it looks good.
Before you decide to cut, try out what can you make, change in your style with this length.

What Lapushka is saying, I agree. If you cut now, soon you'll have to go through the same again.
I would, at your place wait a little bit. Maybe you're annoyed with this length now, but in 2-3 months you won't feel the same.

Ok, your feel-good-length makes total sense to me. Just need to figure out what length/cut that is for me.

I'd go back to when you WERE short and think about what caused you to grow longer.

What length will be easier for YOU to manage on a day to day basis?

Bangs require more care as does shorter lengths day to day to keep the style, and month to month to keep the shape.

When I think back on MY long hair journey, long hair is much easier, versatile, and fun.

We can give you all sorts of ideas but in the end it is YOU who will be living with it on your busy schedule ;)

At this length, just a bit more growth gives a whole different feel which you may find more to your liking.

It is good you are taking time to consider the options, then go with your gut.
I am sure you will come to right decision, and if you change your mind down the road....it is an easy fix to cut, but longer to grow back out :cheer:

What caused me to get on this forum and start growing out my hair was the fact that:
a) my pixie cut was waaaay shorter than what I wanted (I brought in pictures of what I wanted and had previously a good experience with the hairdresser, but unfortunately, no luck here), and
b) the change from a really long bob to a very short pixie was a bit too much for me I guess. I looked so different and I just panicked a bit here.

So I learned: I want small changes rather than big ones and I like cutting my hair by myself, because I am in control and can just slowly work toward where I want to be. And it saves a ton of money (always good I guess, but as a student it is double good).
Also, if a small change turns out to be a mistake, it only takes a little bit of time to regain the length.
The only thing is: short haircuts are quite hard t do on yourself I found out, especially if your not shaving/ using clippers, which I don't plan to do.

Agava
March 26th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Laura, if I can add one more thing.
I found it the easiest and most managable when my hair was long ( longer then APL) , no layers, just blunt cut , and only bangs a bit shorter.
Most demanding was surely short hair. And this stage with SL, because my ends are a bit dry and frizzy due to frequent dyeing. But, at least with this length there are more possibilities to hide bad hair day, then with short hair.

Laura1986
March 27th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Laura, if I can add one more thing.
I found it the easiest and most managable when my hair was long ( longer then APL) , no layers, just blunt cut , and only bangs a bit shorter.
Most demanding was surely short hair. And this stage with SL, because my ends are a bit dry and frizzy due to frequent dyeing. But, at least with this length there are more possibilities to hide bad hair day, then with short hair.

Really? I have had my hair that long only once (picture is in my album, it was a tangly mess..).

What made that length so easy for you? Just put it up and forget about it?

Agava
March 27th, 2019, 02:00 PM
No. Having long hair was for me the easiest way to emphesise shine with almost no effort( I was obsessed by Pantene commercials, blunt shiny hair :D). Also, I like how long blunt cut hair is beautiful in it's simplicity.

With layers, or bangs or short hair it was always difficult to put hair on it's place. No need to mention how humid weather or rain can put all your effort in vain, loosing form in a minute.

Laura1986
March 28th, 2019, 07:41 AM
No. Having long hair was for me the easiest way to emphesise shine with almost no effort( I was obsessed by Pantene commercials, blunt shiny hair :D). Also, I like how long blunt cut hair is beautiful in it's simplicity.

With layers, or bangs or short hair it was always difficult to put hair on it's place. No need to mention how humid weather or rain can put all your effort in vain, loosing form in a minute.

Your hair looks shiny for sure :)

For me, it is more important that my hair suits my face. I feel like I can't pull of any very short or long hairstyles, and I need a bit of hair to cover at least the top of my forehead :/

lapushka
March 28th, 2019, 07:47 AM

For me, it is more important that my hair suits my face. I feel like I can't pull of any very short or long hairstyles, and I need a bit of hair to cover at least the top of my forehead :/

I have long stopped looking at whether it "suits" me or not. I just want long hair, my face can just deal with it. ;) :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I have long stopped looking at whether it "suits" me or not. I just want long hair, my face can just deal with it. ;) :lol:

Ha ha, me too - I never know what suits me anyway, so I just have it how I like it!

Natalia_A00
March 28th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I don't think I will cut my hair at the end but... I'm having some doubts about my hair. I like it but when I look at old pictures of mine I also like my hair at APL - BSL (specially APL) Maybe it made me cuter, or suited me better? I don't know which one I prefer! I also feel pretty with longer hair. But that APL layered hair looked nice, it's like I was a different person.

Also maybe what I like about those pictures is my face or makeup, not the hair. Maybe I haven't put enough effort into taking a good and flattering photo of myself now

lapushka
March 28th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Also maybe what I like about those pictures is my face or makeup, not the hair. Maybe I haven't put enough effort into taking a good and flattering photo of myself now

Definitely do that. Good point!

Groovy Granny
March 28th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Ha ha, me too - I never know what suits me anyway, so I just have it how I like it!

LOL With my age and jowls, style makes little difference to me.
Like you both said....I want/love long hair and how it actually looks to others is of no concern :wigtongue: :lol:

JackintheBox
March 28th, 2019, 09:48 PM
I don't think I will cut my hair at the end but... I'm having some doubts about my hair. I like it but when I look at old pictures of mine I also like my hair at APL - BSL (specially APL) Maybe it made me cuter, or suited me better? I don't know which one I prefer! I also feel pretty with longer hair. But that APL layered hair looked nice, it's like I was a different person.

I am sure you look great with both styles and it may just be the particular photos like you said or maybe you just need a change? Is there anything about your current length, other than just the appearance, that you would miss if you cut it?

Judging things based on appearance is hard since everybody thinks something different. I am sure many would say short hair definitely looks better on me. I obviously like having long hair and think I look better with it. I can't help much with thinking about different lengths of long hair though since I've only experienced different lengths once and am still focused on growing longer right now. Just make sure you do what you want to do and will like best.

SwanFeathers
March 30th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Is this thread for any big change? Or just for cutting?
I've been contemplating henna.

Ylva
March 30th, 2019, 08:02 AM

Absolutely for any big change, not just cutting!

blackgothicdoll
March 30th, 2019, 08:09 AM

I would think that applies. I've been sitting here considering henna + indigo for a few months. I did it back in December and it did literally nothing. I'm scared because some people will say henna is damaging, and even go as far as cut it out! Others of course stick with it....

Are you considering it for conditioning or color?

SwanFeathers
March 30th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I would think that applies. I've been sitting here considering henna + indigo for a few months. I did it back in December and it did literally nothing. I'm scared because some people will say henna is damaging, and even go as far as cut it out! Others of course stick with it....

Are you considering it for conditioning or color?

Both. I have a lot of hair, but my hair strands are really fine and delicate so Im hoping henna helps. When I was a teen I had red hair from conventional dye, but I'm sensitive to the chemicals and always came away with burns.

lapushka
March 30th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Definitely for any big change! :D

HTH.

I had doubts myself today. Major. Not that I would actually "actually" cut my hair, but I had some major down moments. I braided my hair for grocery shopping, and it was quite oily so that didn't work out well. That was the first thing that had me bummed. Then I just bunned and went like that. Back home, I thought of gorgeous members on here like eresh, and gossamer and Sarah, and that took care of my moment of weakness.

But believe me, I do have them!

ynne
March 30th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Both. I have a lot of hair, but my hair strands are really fine and delicate so Im hoping henna helps. When I was a teen I had red hair from conventional dye, but I'm sensitive to the chemicals and always came away with burns.

I recently got my hair red with henna, it's definitely happier than it was my conventional red dye, but you could always try layering a few weak glosses first, those should be easier to almost entirely remove from your hair if you chose to do that c:

blackgothicdoll
March 31st, 2019, 10:10 AM
I think I'm going back to wearing my hair straight until I get to perhaps BSL. I wouldn't straighten it more than twice a month, and try to stretch washes to two weeks. I know now how to not terribly damage my hair with heat, and to really baby it in between, though I'm sure I wouldn't retain as much length as if I didn't use it at all... but with hair this length style options just take too much time. My other thought is box braids, but the amount of time and money those add up to isn't quite worth it in my book, and I did have hair torn out last time I got braids, I'm nervous about doing it again.

eta: On a whim, I made an appointment to get my hair braided tomorrow so that I don't do anything crazy with my hair now. I've practised in my head how to ask her not to blow dry it a second time, and to try to use less hair so that it is not so heavy. Those will last me through my vacation and hopefully through finals, and then I can stop stressing over my hair or leave it alone. If I can just stay braided all summer, I'll be able to have fun with my hair once it is cooler (I love my hair in cold weather, once it gets warm it's a pain to keep washing!!!).

So I probably won't be participating in many picture threads or length check threads, but I'll definitely still post around. :o

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 11:37 AM
I think I'm going back to wearing my hair straight until I get to perhaps BSL. I wouldn't straighten it more than twice a month, and try to stretch washes to two weeks. I know now how to not terribly damage my hair with heat, and to really baby it in between, though I'm sure I wouldn't retain as much length as if I didn't use it at all... but with hair this length style options just take too much time. My other thought is box braids, but the amount of time and money those add up to isn't quite worth it in my book, and I did have hair torn out last time I got braids, I'm nervous about doing it again.

eta: On a whim, I made an appointment to get my hair braided tomorrow so that I don't do anything crazy with my hair now. I've practised in my head how to ask her not to blow dry it a second time, and to try to use less hair so that it is not so heavy. Those will last me through my vacation and hopefully through finals, and then I can stop stressing over my hair or leave it alone. If I can just stay braided all summer, I'll be able to have fun with my hair once it is cooler (I love my hair in cold weather, once it gets warm it's a pain to keep washing!!!).

So I probably won't be participating in many picture threads or length check threads, but I'll definitely still post around. :o

Would blow drying it straight and doing some neat buns and braids do? Or is it a must to straighten it with an iron?

blackgothicdoll
March 31st, 2019, 11:43 AM
Would blow drying it straight and doing some neat buns and braids do? Or is it a must to straighten it with an iron?

Lately I've been trying to blow dry with no heat, and while it gets pretty straight it does turn into a massive fluffball that's hard to work with (but really fun to look at lol). So blow-drying with heat is still something I need to try, carefully of course, but I don't think most blow-dryers get anywhere near as hot as a flat iron on a lower setting (I'll have to double check).

I am planning on getting that Revlon hair dryer you suggested in my other thread, I watched a video by Naptural85 and was pretty much sold. So yes, that's a good idea, I'll try it out when I'm not in braids and see how that works. Thank you! :)

Groovy Granny
March 31st, 2019, 11:44 AM

I hope it goes well for you ~ enjoy your vacation :cheer:

littlestarface
March 31st, 2019, 11:50 AM

Aw I;m gonna miss your hair but do post a picture of the braided hair please madam.

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 01:10 PM
Lately I've been trying to blow dry with no heat, and while it gets pretty straight it does turn into a massive fluffball that's hard to work with (but really fun to look at lol). So blow-drying with heat is still something I need to try, carefully of course, but I don't think most blow-dryers get anywhere near as hot as a flat iron on a lower setting (I'll have to double check).

I am planning on getting that Revlon hair dryer you suggested in my other thread, I watched a video by Naptural85 and was pretty much sold. So yes, that's a good idea, I'll try it out when I'm not in braids and see how that works. Thank you! :)

Yes I thought you might like it! :D

A few well-known YTers had indeed posted reviews on it. Should have linked you!

You might have to iron less or with less heat if the blow-out is nice & neat!

Agava
April 1st, 2019, 12:18 PM

I also have thin and long face ( long chin, high cheek bones), and maybe a bit wider forehead, but the styles that are recommended for my face structure..I often didn't find they match well ( except waves) with my face expression and style, or required a lot of time to make and keep tidy. And now, when my ends are already on the shoulders, I feel it's easier to manage. The worst was just before it reached my shoulders.

Laura1986
April 1st, 2019, 02:21 PM
I also have thin and long face ( long chin, high cheek bones), and maybe a bit wider forehead, but the styles that are recommended for my face structure..I often didn't find they match well ( except waves) with my face expression and style, or required a lot of time to make and keep tidy. And now, when my ends are already on the shoulders, I feel it's easier to manage. The worst was just before it reached my shoulders.
Thanks for sharing :)
Guess at what length my hair is now ;)

Laura1986
April 2nd, 2019, 01:05 PM
Ok I'm done with my hairdoubts and happy that this thread and you guys are here :flowers:

Agava
April 2nd, 2019, 01:33 PM
Cool!
Today I had a crisis. Totally unexpected. I wanted to dye my ends darker.
I really thought I was stronger and that the impulses are gone. Today it seemed huge difference between colour of the ends and my natural hair in roots, and it is so annoying when such dilemma appears out of nowhere
:taz:
Even if I knew I would regret, I almost did it.
But luckily, instead of that, I put argan oil mask, to make my hair safe at least until next hair wash. :/

erebus
April 2nd, 2019, 01:58 PM
I kinda like my hair, but I have the feeling it doesn't suit me. I didn't start growing it because I thought it'd suit me, it was just something I wanted for some reason, and there's something satisfying about the process. Anyway, I had to appear in some photos recently and looking at them just brings me down. A 2-week rule seems like a good idea, I don't think I will cut it before summer, but I have this ever growing gut feeling that it will be gone by the end of the year. I know if I cut it everyone will think it looks better (I'm a guy, just for reference). Maybe it'll pass, we'll see.

Liz_H
April 2nd, 2019, 02:49 PM

Ideas?

I remember the ticklish hair. It was super annoying. I found this less of a problem with longer hair. The ends just don't fly in my face anymore. Actually the hair itself doesn't seem to fly around much.

Natalia_A00
April 2nd, 2019, 05:32 PM
I am sure you look great with both styles and it may just be the particular photos like you said or maybe you just need a change? Is there anything about your current length, other than just the appearance, that you would miss if you cut it?

Judging things based on appearance is hard since everybody thinks something different. I am sure many would say short hair definitely looks better on me. I obviously like having long hair and think I look better with it. I can't help much with thinking about different lengths of long hair though since I've only experienced different lengths once and am still focused on growing longer right now. Just make sure you do what you want to do and will like best.

thank you! Yes it's difficul to decide which one looks better. I feel I will miss my long hair if I cut it. I just like the feeling of having long hair covering my back, also taking care of it and having new length goals. It's like a game, to see how long it can get and how it would look. Also I love long braids, I would definitely miss that! I don't think I'm going to cut my hair, at least for the moment! I've thought about it and my answer is: no :cheese:

klmt
April 2nd, 2019, 05:59 PM
I'm so glad I read through this thread on a whim. Yesterday I was thinking of how my hair has looked for the last 2 weeks and I felt the urge to re-shape, but knew I had to make myself wait 2 weeks before actually taking action.

It's validating to hear other people also find the pre-shoulder stage maddening. My hair's just above shoulder and it feels like nothing I do makes it look good; good to know time will take care of that for me!

Laura1986
April 8th, 2019, 08:28 AM
New *short hair would be nice thoughts*, because of my pollen allergies are much worse this year, I need to wash my hair at least daily (before bed).

Lady Stardust
April 8th, 2019, 08:36 AM
New *short hair would be nice thoughts*, because of my pollen allergies are much worse this year, I need to wash my hair at least daily (before bed).

Maybe covering your hair would help? Then you could just wash the scarf/hat/Buff. I feel you on the pollen, I don’t even want to go outside at the moment. I feel like I’m going to choke on it.

Your hair looks pretty in your avatar :) I find anything between chin and collarbone massively awkward on myself. I’ve recently been through it again. I wouldn’t make any decisions in that no-mans-land. Try and persist and see if you like your hair more when you’re solidly at shoulder.

Laura1986
April 8th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Maybe covering your hair would help? Then you could just wash the scarf/hat/Buff. I feel you on the pollen, I don’t even want to go outside at the moment. I feel like I’m going to choke on it.

Your hair looks pretty in your avatar :) I find anything between chin and collarbone massively awkward on myself. I’ve recently been through it again. I wouldn’t make any decisions in that no-mans-land. Try and persist and see if you like your hair more when you’re solidly at shoulder.

The avatar is a bit old ;) My hair is SL now.
It is fine and daily washing won't be easy on it (and it takes an hour to dry at this length). However, breathing is much much more important ;) Not washing daily is not an option at this moment.

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 09:57 AM
The avatar is a bit old ;) My hair is SL now.
It is fine and daily washing won't be easy on it (and it takes an hour to dry at this length). However, breathing is much much more important ;) Not washing daily is not an option at this moment.

Would a blow dryer help at all? Blow drying on cool to warm temperatures is... just fine!

Laura1986
April 8th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Would a blow dryer help at all? Blow drying on cool to warm temperatures is... just fine!

Yes! If I am at home I can use my oldie, (can do medium and hot, so I'll pick medium). Most hotels also have blow dryers, so yay :) This will actually help :)

Some blow dryers have also a cold setting, but I strongly dislike cold air on my wet hair

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Yes! If I am at home I can use my oldie, (can do medium and hot, so I'll pick medium). Most hotels also have blow dryers, so yay :) This will actually help :)

Some blow dryers have also a cold setting, but I strongly dislike cold air on my wet hair

What can help is towel drying for a bit longer (I do half an hour even), then it is just damp enough to put my stylers through, and then I usually let it airdry 2-4H, and then all it needs is the diffuser for 5 min. - if you can get it less wet by using these methods, it cuts the blow drying time in half. If you have stuff to do before bed, take that time to airdry and then all you need to do is quickly run the dryer through before bed.

I typically will not use the coldest setting on my dryer! I put it on medium warm and it's just fine!

Liz_H
April 11th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Some blow dryers have also a cold setting, but I strongly dislike cold air on my wet hair[/QUOTE]

I use the cold air test to see if my hair is dry. Once the roots are dry, the cold air is no longer uncomfortable.

@Lapushka

Stardreamer
April 12th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I want bangs right now. They would soften my face and even if I'm not wearing my hair down I'll still look alright. I kind of miss the bangs and layers I used to have

But the front of my hair is quite thin. I don't really want thin bangs..

AmaryllisRed
April 12th, 2019, 03:42 PM
I want bangs right now. They would soften my face and even if I'm not wearing my hair down I'll still look alright. I kind of miss the bangs and layers I used to have

But the front of my hair is quite thin. I don't really want thin bangs..

Have you tried fake bangs? I enjoy them from time to time. Bangs without the commitment. :)

Agava
April 13th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Bangs without commitment, lol. They are exactly that!
Good idea, I might try them, too!

Stardreamer
April 13th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Have you tried fake bangs? I enjoy them from time to time. Bangs without the commitment. :)

Fake? What does that involve?

AmaryllisRed
April 14th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Fake? What does that involve?

You just use your own hair and make bangs. If you search "fake bangs" on YouTube there are several different ways to do it. You can do it with a ponytail or a bun or a headband...

ETA: This is what it looked like last time I did it.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36513&d=1555270299

Agava
April 14th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Oh, I thought you're talking about bangs clip in extension. That's what I might give a chance if I get bored.

Estrid
April 14th, 2019, 01:47 PM
This comes a bit late for the thread, but I did apply this rule, sort of, I waited longer than 2 weeks.

Anyway.
I cut bangs on myself almost a week ago now. I had been tempted to do it for a long time, but didn't, because I KNEW that I wouldn't like it. But in a moment of distress, I decided to just go for it, and guess what? yes, I hate it! I don't think I've ever hated bangs this much in my entire life. I don't actually regret doing it though, oddly enough, because of three reasons:

1. Since I had been tempted for so long, and had those thoughts bugging me, I knew I would've done it eventually anyway.
2. I had been a bit in a rot with my hair for the past few month, staying at the same length because of trimming, getting bored of it, not wanting to put it up anymore etc, this new situation makes all the attention go to styling or hiding the bangs, I've bought headbands, I even dug out a beautiful silk scarf that I have never dared to wear before, and I've used it as a head wrap. These terrible bangs has brought some variation into my life, it has forced me to be creative, and I think that's probably good for me. I'm even putting up my hair again.
3. For the first time ever, I actually felt physically ill after cutting my off that much hair ("much"). I didn't know how attached I was to it, now I know, I suppose I'm meant to have long hair and to not have bangs.

I've grown out bangs many times before, it's not a big deal, in 6 months it will be quite easy to hide them, but for now, it's bobby pins and hairbands :p

AmaryllisRed
April 14th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Oh, I thought you're talking about bangs clip in extension. That's what I might give a chance if I get bored.

Yeah, that could work. I've never tried them, though. Report back if you do! I'm curious. :)

zmirina
April 14th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I've been thinking of lightening my hair from the dark brown I've been dying it to after the bleaching... I used vitamin C, but it turned it red instead

SO, I made an appointment last week to go in next Friday. It's going to be 2 weeks of thinking this Monday.

How do I not destroy my hair with this mess. I just want to be a nice subtly balayged blonette like I naturally would be aaaa

Agava
April 15th, 2019, 01:51 AM
Amaryllis, I will. I'm not yet sure about the nuance I need.
Zmirina, it turns red because dark brown contains it. Good hairdresser will know how to fix it, but take few pictures with you of the hair that you want to have, for any case.
Have you already tried with cinnamon, or lemon juice, chamomile tea to achieve lighter nuance? It might also turn out as reddish on your hair, but at least it won't damage it
Estrid, I also had your situation with bangs several times. I like them on other people..and maybe 3 days on me, and then I deeply regret cutting them off . I don't feel me as I am, when I have bangs.
This time, I think my bangs are the longest in last 2 years ( SL) and I'm very happy about that. I'm not tempted to cut them off, because I know my self that if I cut them, then soon I would cut the rest of my hair, to make length difference less visible. No way this time, I've passed that road many times, but I'm going to play with these fake bangs just for a curiousity.
Maybe it could help you if you join No-trimming 2019 second part or No-trimming 2020 thread?

Agava
April 15th, 2019, 01:58 AM
Amaryllis, I've just seen your photo. Really creative, it looks like you have short hair :)

lithostoic
April 15th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Well, I bought the bleach. Don't panic!!! I'll only be bleaching the nape section lol. Like 1/4-1/5 of my hair. I've been planning my lgbt Pride rainbow since December so yeah :3 The rest of my hair will be colored blue purple and pink for the bisexual Pride flag. No bleach, so it'll fade completely back to my natural color over a few months.

Now the hard part is waiting til June (pride month) to do it!!

AmaryllisRed
April 15th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Amaryllis, I've just seen your photo. Really creative, it looks like you have short hair :)

Yeah, it started as just fake bangs but ended up like a fake pixie! It was weird because I never would have thought I could pull off that haircut but the fake version wasn't awful.

Glitch
April 15th, 2019, 07:49 PM
This comes a bit late for the thread, but I did apply this rule, sort of, I waited longer than 2 weeks.

Anyway.
I cut bangs on myself almost a week ago now. I had been tempted to do it for a long time, but didn't, because I KNEW that I wouldn't like it. But in a moment of distress, I decided to just go for it, and guess what? yes, I hate it! I don't think I've ever hated bangs this much in my entire life. I don't actually regret doing it though, oddly enough, because of three reasons:

1. Since I had been tempted for so long, and had those thoughts bugging me, I knew I would've done it eventually anyway.
2. I had been a bit in a rot with my hair for the past few month, staying at the same length because of trimming, getting bored of it, not wanting to put it up anymore etc, this new situation makes all the attention go to styling or hiding the bangs, I've bought headbands, I even dug out a beautiful silk scarf that I have never dared to wear before, and I've used it as a head wrap. These terrible bangs has brought some variation into my life, it has forced me to be creative, and I think that's probably good for me. I'm even putting up my hair again.
3. For the first time ever, I actually felt physically ill after cutting my off that much hair ("much"). I didn't know how attached I was to it, now I know, I suppose I'm meant to have long hair and to not have bangs.

I've grown out bangs many times before, it's not a big deal, in 6 months it will be quite easy to hide them, but for now, it's bobby pins and hairbands :p

Same! Except, I do regret them. This sucks - why do I have to be so impulsive sometimes?! Damn it :(

Stardreamer
April 16th, 2019, 01:42 AM
I want layers right now.
I had layers 1 year ago, I miss them.

This is just a thought, I promised my hair no trims until October at least, but I will probably keep thinking about this.

Agava
April 16th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Well, I bought the bleach. Don't panic!!! I'll only be bleaching the nape section lol. Like 1/4-1/5 of my hair. I've been planning my lgbt Pride rainbow since December so yeah :3 The rest of my hair will be colored blue purple and pink for the bisexual Pride flag. No bleach, so it'll fade completely back to my natural color over a few months.

Now the hard part is waiting til June (pride month) to do it!!

Do carefully hair sectioning before applying the bleach. I hope you'll make everything how you've imagined. But, what after 2, 5...7 months?

spitfire511
April 16th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I want layers right now.
I had layers 1 year ago, I miss them.

This is just a thought, I promised my hair no trims until October at least, but I will probably keep thinking about this.

Give it a good long think Stardreamer! And then if you want them - do it! But I'd advise to time it right (as you're considering already!)

I don't have your curl, but I do keep layers - and have for pretty much my whole adult life (that it wasn't collarbone or shorter).

I will say that if you are trying to grow and can hang on for them until you are closer to BSL, that worked better for me because braids and updos get so shreddy with layers (which I don't mind the look of sometimes). But they can make updos at shorter lengths pretty frustrating in my experience because of all the pieces that don't want to stay.

Good luck with whatever you do and make sure to post pics up if you do them again!

Estrid
April 16th, 2019, 12:13 PM
-
Estrid, I also had your situation with bangs several times. I like them on other people..and maybe 3 days on me, and then I deeply regret cutting them off . I don't feel me as I am, when I have bangs.
This time, I think my bangs are the longest in last 2 years ( SL) and I'm very happy about that. I'm not tempted to cut them off, because I know my self that if I cut them, then soon I would cut the rest of my hair, to make length difference less visible. No way this time, I've passed that road many times, but I'm going to play with these fake bangs just for a curiousity.
Maybe it could help you if you join No-trimming 2019 second part or No-trimming 2020 thread?

I usually go a few years between cutting my bangs, but I think this experience will hinder me in the future. I don't believe in regret, it's a pointless emotion. The bangs do look kind of cute, but cute isn't my aesthetic. The biggest reason why I'm feeling quite down about them I think is because of other things going on. It was a bad choice to change the way I look at a time like this.
The rest of my hair is not an issue, and I won't be trimming my bangs, I'm still aiming for WL by christmas, and I will succeed with that :o

Same! Except, I do regret them. This sucks - why do I have to be so impulsive sometimes?! Damn it :(

It does suck, for sure. I look like a big 10 year old, and I knew I would look like a big 10 year old before I did it because that's the result I've gotten every single time I've done it before.

I won't be cutting any part of my hair to a different length than the rest ever again. Now I will have to wait many years for my bangs to be as long as my hair, I don't want to trim back so they'll have to be shorter for quite some time.

Good luck to us both with finding some joy with our bangs while we wait for them to grow. :sigh:

zmirina
April 16th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Amaryllis, I will. I'm not yet sure about the nuance I need.
Zmirina, it turns red because dark brown contains it. Good hairdresser will know how to fix it, but take few pictures with you of the hair that you want to have, for any case.
Have you already tried with cinnamon, or lemon juice, chamomile tea to achieve lighter nuance? It might also turn out as reddish on your hair, but at least it won't damage it

i feel like printing out a few, because they always dye me WAY darker than I ask them to. I tried vitamin C, honey, and vinegar, and I just get redder and redder

I haven't had bangs outside of pixie cuts since toddlerhood. It seems like such a great commitment when hair is longer than SL

JackintheBox
April 20th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Well I am actually posting on this thread. Since I hit waist about a month ago I have been having a nagging urge to cut my hair. I was initially dismissing it as crazy because why would I want to do that? But since it has stuck around for a month I figure I ought to mull it over and at least consider it. This isn't a well formed plan to cut, I don't necessarily have a specific length, though maybe BSL? Not sure. I think it's highly unlikely I decide to cut, but who knows I guess. More likely I hope to figure out what is bothering me that makes that something I'd consider doing.

lapushka
April 20th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Well I am actually posting on this thread. Since I hit waist about a month ago I have been having a nagging urge to cut my hair. I was initially dismissing it as crazy because why would I want to do that? But since it has stuck around for a month I figure I ought to mull it over and at least consider it. This isn't a well formed plan to cut, I don't necessarily have a specific length, though maybe BSL? Not sure. I think it's highly unlikely I decide to cut, but who knows I guess. More likely I hope to figure out what is bothering me that makes that something I'd consider doing.

If it nags at me, it usually means I can cut a milestone back and it is fine again. It means, for me, that I am at a length that is far too uncomfortable for me to deal with.

Maybe cut a few inches, see what that does? A few inches ago, did you have these nagging feelings? If not, then there is your answer.

JackintheBox
April 20th, 2019, 03:28 PM
If it nags at me, it usually means I can cut a milestone back and it is fine again. It means, for me, that I am at a length that is far too uncomfortable for me to deal with.

Maybe cut a few inches, see what that does? A few inches ago, did you have these nagging feelings? If not, then there is your answer.

Thanks Lapushka. That is certainly very rational advice from someone with experience. That could very well be what it is. I'll probably give this a try next week if I feel the same.

zmirina
April 20th, 2019, 03:36 PM

I wonder if it might be end of school year stress? Any exams or something?
Also, BSL probably would not be that drastic, and if you have any damage, it will help remove it.

Groovy Granny
April 20th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Thanks Lapushka. That is certainly very rational advice from someone with experience. That could very well be what it is. I'll probably give this a try next week if I feel the same.

I saw your blog post re: being concerned about your GF's feelings on your hair.
She had a positive response....so are you still contemplating a snip?

I'd take it slow; you've enjoyed it and felt confident (it looks AMAZING), so something is up
I would just do small snips if you feel strongly about it, to see how it looks and feels;also try to find the cause of your unrest before making a big change.

JackintheBox
April 20th, 2019, 10:18 PM
I wonder if it might be end of school year stress? Any exams or something?
Also, BSL probably would not be that drastic, and if you have any damage, it will help remove it.

I wish it were something simple like that, but I'm not in school and don't have any big projects or anything going on.

I saw your blog post re: being concerned about your GF's feelings on your hair.
She had a positive response....so are you still contemplating a snip?

I'd take it slow; you've enjoyed it and felt confident (it looks AMAZING), so something is up
I would just do small snips if you feel strongly about it, to see how it looks and feels;also try to find the cause of your unrest before making a big change.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with her. I have been working to figure out the why of the whole thing and definitely would want to do that before cutting any significant amount. And thank you for the compliment! They always go a long way.

MadelineMomo
April 20th, 2019, 11:09 PM
Two nights ago I got an itching to shave my head.

It was midnight. I live in a dorm, I'm on a top bunk, and hot air rises. I had washed my hair that night, so it was wet, and I hate the way my hair feels against my skin when it's wet. Also, being on to top bunk, high enough I can touch the ceiling, I occasionally feel vaguely trapped.

It wasn't really a desire to shave my head so much as a desire to climb out of my skin. Watching a bunch of head shaving youtube videos didn't help.

Sleeping did. I felt much better in the morning. I wore my hair down the next day, with a tank top so I could feel it again my skin. That was nice.

I am going to shave my head someday. That has been the plan for years, since I very first started growing my hair out. Someday, when I'm well and thoroughly sick of having long hair, I'm going to shave it all off. But not yet. Not for a few years yet, I think. I still have a lot more enjoying my long hair to do before then.

Ylva
April 21st, 2019, 07:13 AM
So I’ve been struggling with lightening my hair to my desired shade for a while. It worked in the past, but then stopped working. This was a few months ago, and I can see a faint demarcation line. I’ve spoken about this with my hairdresser, but she doesn’t know what is causing it. I’ve thought it might have been silicones, and for a good while it looked like they were contributing to the issue, but now it just seems like my desired shade isn’t happening anymore. So this is not about hair condition, that’s never been an issue. Simply the shade.

I’ve been going on and off about stopping with hair lightening, but last night it hit me really strongly. It was very different from how it had been before. I very much like my hair like this and I don’t want to stop lightening it, but I know it’ll nag me for as long as I make the decision to stop. It’s too much stress for me to worry about what shade will turn up every single time, and it also costs a lot of money, so I know it’s not something I’ll be able to maintain either.

Growing out my natural colour won’t be an issue as I know it’ll blend in nicely, but the decision will have to be permanent because my roots are growing out and if I go too long in between treatments, they won’t lighten evenly.

I’ve been thinking about this all night and I just don’t know. Is it time to reacquire the Iron Mane?*

*Because my hair is incredibly durable despite being fine.

ETA: I probably wouldn't quit the lightening entirely, at least right away. I'd be getting highlights for the indefinite future. But the difference is that with my own, slightly darker (level 7 vs. level 10) hair blended in, the exact shade of the lighter tone won't make any difference.

ETA2: Not quitting cold turkey is also because I may be totally out of touch with how to care for my virgin hair. I know it's extremely low maintenance, but I'm afraid I'll **** it up entirely by going in with super hydrating products. Of course, I have also stashed products for a good few years and don't want to run the risk of rendering half of my stash useless. :lol:

ETA3: I feel like everything about how I write (choices of tenses etc) indicate that I've already made up my mind about this. I just don't know. I mean I do. But I don't! HALP

Laura1986
April 21st, 2019, 10:05 AM
So I’ve been struggling with lightening my hair to my desired shade for a while. It worked in the past, but then stopped working. This was a few months ago, and I can see a faint demarcation line. I’ve spoken about this with my hairdresser, but she doesn’t know what is causing it. I’ve thought it might have been silicones, and for a good while it looked like they were contributing to the issue, but now it just seems like my desired shade isn’t happening anymore. So this is not about hair condition, that’s never been an issue. Simply the shade.

I’ve been going on and off about stopping with hair lightening, but last night it hit me really strongly. It was very different from how it had been before. I very much like my hair like this and I don’t want to stop lightening it, but I know it’ll nag me for as long as I make the decision to stop. It’s too much stress for me to worry about what shade will turn up every single time, and it also costs a lot of money, so I know it’s not something I’ll be able to maintain either.

Growing out my natural colour won’t be an issue as I know it’ll blend in nicely, but the decision will have to be permanent because my roots are growing out and if I go too long in between treatments, they won’t lighten evenly.

I’ve been thinking about this all night and I just don’t know. Is it time to reacquire the Iron Mane?*

*Because my hair is incredibly durable despite being fine.

ETA: I probably wouldn't quit the lightening entirely, at least right away. I'd be getting highlights for the indefinite future. But the difference is that with my own, slightly darker (level 7 vs. level 10) hair blended in, the exact shade of the lighter tone won't make any difference.

ETA2: Not quitting cold turkey is also because I may be totally out of touch with how to care for my virgin hair. I know it's extremely low maintenance, but I'm afraid I'll **** it up entirely by going in with super hydrating products. Of course, I have also stashed products for a good few years and don't want to run the risk of rendering half of my stash useless. :lol:

ETA3: I feel like everything about how I write (choices of tenses etc) indicate that I've already made up my mind about this. I just don't know. I mean I do. But I don't! HALP
You know what you want to do, you have thought about it thoroughly.
So go ahead and do it ;)

Groovy Granny
April 21st, 2019, 12:18 PM
No, it doesn't have anything to do with her. I have been working to figure out the why of the whole thing and definitely would want to do that before cutting any significant amount. And thank you for the compliment! They always go a long way.

You're welcome ~ happy to hear that ~ you'll figure it out :thumbsup:

Ylva
April 21st, 2019, 02:08 PM
You know what you want to do, you have thought about it thoroughly.
So go ahead and do it ;)

Errrrmahgherrrrddd.

I swear I'm going through an existential crisis because of this.

JennGalt
April 21st, 2019, 02:41 PM
Ylva, you say your hair is pretty damage resistant—the Iron Mane :) I don’t think you’ll **** it up with super hydrating products. If you do end up over conditioned, just clarify, try a protein treatment to bring things back into balance, and adjust your routine accordingly. Perhaps you can just use less of the same products if it’s really a problem. But I don’t think you’ll have any serious hair ****ups. Your virgin hair will be harder to damage. I think you should go for it, even if gradually :)

Ylva
April 21st, 2019, 03:24 PM
Ylva, you say your hair is pretty damage resistant—the Iron Mane :) I don’t think you’ll **** it up with super hydrating products. If you do end up over conditioned, just clarify, try a protein treatment to bring things back into balance, and adjust your routine accordingly. Perhaps you can just use less of the same products if it’s really a problem. But I don’t think you’ll have any serious hair ****ups. Your virgin hair will be harder to damage. I think you should go for it, even if gradually :)

Thank you for the encouragement, Jenn! :) After reading your post, I actually went ahead and cancelled my root appointment on the 30th. I changed it to an Olaplex treatment and a scalp exfoliation - just decided to add that to it since it sounded interesting. I could have of course just not gone in, but I have been going to my hairdresser for over a year now and we've established a friendship of sorts, so I don't feel comfortable with just disappearing. I also want to ask her opinion when I should come in for highlights.

Starya
April 21st, 2019, 08:56 PM
this will be a great thread for me. I am still a shortie right now, but I'm growing it out. My hair grows fast and I'm going to need a lot of support.

Glitch
April 22nd, 2019, 06:31 PM
It does suck, for sure. I look like a big 10 year old, and I knew I would look like a big 10 year old before I did it because that's the result I've gotten every single time I've done it before.

I won't be cutting any part of my hair to a different length than the rest ever again. Now I will have to wait many years for my bangs to be as long as my hair, I don't want to trim back so they'll have to be shorter for quite some time.

Good luck to us both with finding some joy with our bangs while we wait for them to grow. :sigh:

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I agree! I really hope I can control myself better the next time I have the urge to cut bangs again. It actually makes very little sense to me why I always do this while knowing I most likely won't enjoy them afterwards. Ugh. Anyway, good luck to us both indeed!

Estrid
April 24th, 2019, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I agree! I really hope I can control myself better the next time I have the urge to cut bangs again. It actually makes very little sense to me why I always do this while knowing I most likely won't enjoy them afterwards. Ugh. Anyway, good luck to us both indeed!

No worries!
It doesn't make much sense, for sure. I don't know why I always think "this time will be different", it won't be! Oh well, hopefully we are wiser next time around.

Glitch
April 25th, 2019, 12:53 AM
No worries!
It doesn't make much sense, for sure. I don't know why I always think "this time will be different", it won't be! Oh well, hopefully we are wiser next time around.

Yep, sounds just like me as well! Agreed!

Agava
April 25th, 2019, 05:46 AM
No worries!

I also had that idea "this time will be different", not only with bangs but with layers, too. Such a torture to keep them nice and neat.
What works for me is finding some photo where I didn't like my bangs (or layers), and then ideas about experimenting just fade out easier. Happy growing!

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 02:22 AM
Well, i have finally reached APL... And i am considering cutting back to shoulder length.

I have been struggling with my dyed and damaged ends for a while now and i can't Stand looking at them, what a tangly and frizzy mess they are, no matter how much oils and hair masks i put in.

I just want to get rid of them asap.
But i will give it two weeks first, because i still haven't decided wether i prefer length or quality when it comes to hair.

Should i chop now? Should i tough it out until i reach BSL and then cut back to APL?
I don't know honestly.

Aerya
May 2nd, 2019, 02:39 AM
Well, i have finally reached APL... And i am considering cutting back to shoulder length.

I have been struggling with my dyed and damaged ends for a while now and i can't Stand looking at them, what a tangly and frizzy mess they are, no matter how much oils and hair masks i put in.

But i will give it two weeks first, because i still haven't decided wether i prefer length or quality when it comes to hair.

Should i chop now? Should i tough it out until i reach BSL and then cut back to APL?
I don't know honestly.

I'd wait, or do microtrims. SL is so different from APL, not just in how it feels/looks, but also in what you can do with it. You have so much variation now! I get wanting to be rid of the dye but you'll be there soon even if you don't chop it all off right away.

Estrid
May 2nd, 2019, 02:45 AM
Yep, sounds just like me as well! Agreed!

:thumbsup:

I also had that idea "this time will be different", not only with bangs but with layers, too. Such a torture to keep them nice and neat.
What works for me is finding some photo where I didn't like my bangs (or layers), and then ideas about experimenting just fade out easier. Happy growing!

Hehe, my issue I think is that I don't save photos that I don't like, even the ones I like end up deleted eventually, so I don't have many photos of me with bangs, and the few I do have the bangs are pinned back on :silly: wonder why!

I don't know honestly.

That's a hard one, I can understand your frustration. I chopped off my dyed hair when I was in your situation, my hair wasn't as long, and I wasn't aiming for long at that time, but I think I would've done it again if it had been today.

It is quite annoying to go from a length where you're able to put it up certain ways, to being back at (what I consider to be) the most awkward length there is, so think long and hard about it.

Simpscone
May 2nd, 2019, 02:57 AM

I don't know honestly.

I'd say definitely give it 2 weeks of thought, and even then maybe considering a plan to trim back an inch a month or something along those lines? That way it's not as drastic a jump back up, but you're getting rid of the dye much quicker?

That said though, when my hair was super damaged by bleach, I finally got sick of how bad the ends were and cut from APL to chin. I was more concerned with enjoying the hair I had and being happy with it than length.

If you hate your hair in it's current state more than you love the length, it's something you should think about for sure.

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 03:08 AM
I'd wait, or do microtrims. SL is so different from APL, not just in how it feels/looks, but also in what you can do with it. You have so much variation now! I get wanting to be rid of the dye but you'll be there soon even if you don't chop it all off right away.

Hehe, my issue I think is that I don't save photos that I don't like, even the ones I like end up deleted eventually, so I don't have many photos of me with bangs, and the few I do have the bangs are pinned back on :silly: wonder why!

That's a hard one, I can understand your frustration. I chopped off my dyed hair when I was in your situation, my hair wasn't as long, and I wasn't aiming for long at that time, but I think I would've done it again if it had been today.

It is quite annoying to go from a length where you're able to put it up certain ways, to being back at (what I consider to be) the most awkward length there is, so think long and hard about it.

I'd say definitely give it 2 weeks of thought, and even then maybe considering a plan to trim back an inch a month or something along those lines? That way it's not as drastic a jump back up, but you're getting rid of the dye much quicker?

That said though, when my hair was super damaged by bleach, I finally got sick of how bad the ends were and cut from APL to chin. I was more concerned with enjoying the hair I had and being happy with it than length.

If you hate your hair in it's current state more than you love the length, it's something you should think about for sure.

Thank you, everyone.

The thing i am most afraid of is that my ends will Still look the same after i trim and grow back my hair. What if my hair is just that way in it's natural state?
I don't see many splits at all, but my hair is all frizzy and bent in weird ways in multiple places..
Maybe it's just a state of wavy/curly hair and i simply need to change my routine so my waves would be more defined and stop getting all frizzed out

Though i don't know How i can do that, i am pretty sure i am giving it enough moisture...

Simpscone
May 2nd, 2019, 03:33 AM
Thank you, everyone.

The thing i am most afraid of is that my ends will Still look the same after i trim and grow back my hair. What if my hair is just that way in it's natural state?
I don't see many splits at all, but my hair is all frizzy and bent in weird ways in multiple places..
Maybe it's just a state of wavy/curly hair and i simply need to change my routine so my waves would be more defined and stop getting all frizzed out

Though i don't know How i can do that, i am pretty sure i am giving it enough moisture...

Can I ask what your current routine is with your hair? My hair is also super frizzy and the ends stick out all over the place, but I rarely see splits. If the top of your hair looks the same kind of texture it may just be how your hair is.

I'd try a few other things before a big chop, your hair may have too much moisture in it and needs some more protein for example?

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 03:39 AM
Can I ask what your current routine is with your hair? My hair is also super frizzy and the ends stick out all over the place, but I rarely see splits. If the top of your hair looks the same kind of texture it may just be how your hair is.

I'd try a few other things before a big chop, your hair may have too much moisture in it and needs some more protein for example?

I usually just shampoo (sulphate free), do a ROO with avocado oil and then while my hair is still damp, spray some serum on it. Today i tried out a leave in conditioner for the first time. It helped tame my waves somewhat, but not enough.

My texture is actually Not the same. The hair from the top of my head down to my ears is soft and smooth, then the frizzy mess starts happening. But not All strands. Some form well defined wavy clumps.

Simpscone
May 2nd, 2019, 04:04 AM
I usually just shampoo (sulphate free), do a ROO with avocado oil and then while my hair is still damp, spray some serum on it. Today i tried out a leave in conditioner for the first time. It helped tame my waves somewhat, but not enough.

My texture is actually Not the same. The hair from the top of my head down to my ears is soft and smooth, then the frizzy mess starts happening. But not All strands. Some form well defined wavy clumps.

If your texture is different between the two colours I'd definitely say that your hair won't be as frizzy etc when your natural hair grows down! Have you tried any styling products for your waves/wurls? Mouse, gel, cream? It may help with the frizz!

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 04:13 AM
If your texture is different between the two colours I'd definitely say that your hair won't be as frizzy etc when your natural hair grows down! Have you tried any styling products for your waves/wurls? Mouse, gel, cream? It may help with the frizz!

Oh i really dislike gels and mousses on my hair, so i don't use them.

luluj
May 2nd, 2019, 06:23 AM

I don't know honestly.

Hello, Stray_mind. Decisions, decisions.

I would wait the two weeks, just to be sure you feel the same way as you do right now. Then, if you feel just as strongly, go ahead and trim. I am a trimmer, this is the truth, only because I like the look and feel of fresh ends, I prefer health over length. When I am growing my hair longer I always make sure that when a trim is due, I don't cut off too much. All that said, this is about you, not me, lol! Perhaps you should just trim a bit, if you feel the need, when the two weeks is up.

milosmomma
May 2nd, 2019, 08:09 AM
Straymind, I agree with the others who say the wait it out. I did a big chop to chin to rid myself of dye/bleach and I wished I had slowly trimmed instead. I would think of the dyed ends as a buffer protecting your virgin hair, especially as it gets past shoulder. I always start to get friction damage at should just ffrom rubbing on collars and such. It was great to finally have all virgin hair but I would probably wait if I could do it over again. And like already mentioned, you have a lot of styling options right now, a bigger trim will definitely make alot of them tricky or even impossible to do at shoulder length.

luluj
May 2nd, 2019, 08:15 AM
And like already mentioned, you have a lot of styling options right now, a bigger trim will definitely make a lot of them tricky or even impossible to do at shoulder length.

Yes, this is so true. :agree:

Ylva
May 2nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Straymind, I agree with the others who say the wait it out. I did a big chop to chin to rid myself of dye/bleach and I wished I had slowly trimmed instead. I would think of the dyed ends as a buffer protecting your virgin hair, especially as it gets past shoulder. I always start to get friction damage at should just ffrom rubbing on collars and such. It was great to finally have all virgin hair but I would probably wait if I could do it over again. And like already mentioned, you have a lot of styling options right now, a bigger trim will definitely make alot of them tricky or even impossible to do at shoulder length.

This is such a great point! The ends usually get more damaged than the rest of the hair either way, be it virgin or not, so it's great that you can use these already damaged ends as a shield for the rest of the hair that can then grow out in peace.

Agava
May 3rd, 2019, 02:41 AM

I don't know honestly.

Oh, no, I wouldn't do that if I were you. There is so much time and hopes and patience in waiting for APL moment to happen...And then one cut would take everything away making you to start all over again. Why don't you try to trim your hair only 1-2cm once in 2-3 months? That way you would keep/grow length and gradually remove that "mess" you said. But, it doesn't look like a mess, it's lovely. Do more braids with that mess instead of chopping it.

Agava
May 3rd, 2019, 02:51 AM

Well that is also argument saying you not to cut your bangs anymore.

Estrid
May 3rd, 2019, 02:58 AM
Well that is also argument saying you not to cut your bangs anymore.

I'm aware.

toastertroodle
May 4th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I have a hair appointment in a week and I’m considering a big cut again. My hair is currently somewhere between APL and BSL, I’d say I’m about 3 inches away from BSL, maybe less. I’ve been growing out heavy wacky layers and am now experiencing the texture of my new growth being way different than the rest of my hair. I’m considering a simple blunt bob somewhere between chin and shoulder length with bangs (I already have the bangs). I’ve been feeling pretty uninspired about having long hair recently and I love the swingy feel of a bob. This cut would get rid of my layers and also let me better see what my new texture is like, not to mention I really enjoy the cut. I always end up getting major cut regret months after cutting it though so I’m still sitting on the decision.

Agava
May 6th, 2019, 03:45 AM
I have a hair appointment in a week and I’m considering a big cut again. My hair is currently somewhere between APL and BSL, I’d say I’m about 3 inches away from BSL, maybe less. I’ve been growing out heavy wacky layers and am now experiencing the texture of my new growth being way different than the rest of my hair. I’m considering a simple blunt bob somewhere between chin and shoulder length with bangs (I already have the bangs). I’ve been feeling pretty uninspired about having long hair recently and I love the swingy feel of a bob. This cut would get rid of my layers and also let me better see what my new texture is like, not to mention I really enjoy the cut. I always end up getting major cut regret months after cutting it though so I’m still sitting on the decision.

What is the reason that you regret after few months? Do you miss the length, or is your hair not manageable as you thought it would be?
I also love bob, and I had it in all possible combination. The blunt one is my favourite. In my experience, for the adorable bob and easy styling, hair must be healthy 100% and the hemline has to be perfect, however you move your head. If it isn't so, then bob cut is difficult to maintain and difficult to let grow nicely without another trim...and another trim ....
Maybe you could first cut to long bob (CBL) instead of shorter version? In few months you'll be at APL and then you might not regret about the cut. Then you would know if you want/need one more cut (shorter bob) ,or growing again to BSL.

lapushka
May 6th, 2019, 08:10 AM

I don't know honestly.

I am just now reading this. Giiirl, what are you thinking.

First of all, does APL feel a comfortable length to you, where styling goes etc. If so, stay there, and slowly trim it all off.

If it's up and out of the way, maybe wear more updos until you reach more length? Pretty pretty styling options at this length!

I am in the camp of: don't do it.

But it is up to you.

AshtangiPNW
May 6th, 2019, 08:51 AM

I don't know honestly.

Congrats on reaching APL, stray! Have you considered maintaining at APL until the dye/henna is gone? Then, maybe trim on a monthly basis or so? I just remember you mentioning that APL finally felt long-ish again. Either way, I'm sure that it will look great. :heart: Like Lapushka, I vote for slowly trimming out the dye/henna. Of course, it's totally up to you, and I think that you should go with whatever you think will make you feel happiest....

toastertroodle
May 6th, 2019, 09:10 AM
What is the reason that you regret after few months? Do you miss the length, or is your hair not manageable as you thought it would be?
I also love bob, and I had it in all possible combination. The blunt one is my favourite. In my experience, for the adorable bob and easy styling, hair must be healthy 100% and the hemline has to be perfect, however you move your head. If it isn't so, then bob cut is difficult to maintain and difficult to let grow nicely without another trim...and another trim ....
Maybe you could first cut to long bob (CBL) instead of shorter version? In few months you'll be at APL and then you might not regret about the cut. Then you would know if you want/need one more cut (shorter bob) ,or growing again to BSL.

The regret generally comes months later and stems from me just wondering what my length would have been at that point had I not cut it. It’s not even that I miss it so much as I just get curious. As far as manageability goes my hair is super manageable at short lengths which I love!

Jas
May 6th, 2019, 09:21 AM
This is nothing too dramatic, but I'm really feeling I need a trim now. I miss blunt ends so much.. I was going to try to reach September trim and be solid classic length but I think having it down and my holidays have made it look a bit ratty. I don't know.

The ideal is to grow a bit beyond classic and cut back to blunt ends ready to start my new job in September. Blah. I've been thinking about trimming more often recently though so putting myself in the two week rule thread.

MusicalSpoons
May 6th, 2019, 11:24 AM
This is nothing too dramatic, but I'm really feeling I need a trim now. I miss blunt ends so much.. I was going to try to reach September trim and be solid classic length but I think having it down and my holidays have made it look a bit ratty. I don't know.

The ideal is to grow a bit beyond classic and cut back to blunt ends ready to start my new job in September. Blah. I've been thinking about trimming more often recently though so putting myself in the two week rule thread.

Good idea to come here! Are you in any of the no-trimming challenges? If not, maybe try a microtrim or two and see if that makes your ends feel even a little bit better, enough that you can hold out until September for a bigger trim? If you are in a challenge, can you try holding out until the end of the first half?

Stray I've seen you mention a few times that APL is a great length for you, styling-wise. Of course it is up to you but if you could maintain and slowly trim away the hair you're not liking, you'll still be able to put it up with the great variety of styles you already have in your repertoire :) I guess it's a case of weighing up how much you dislike your ends, with how inconvenient it would be to go back to shoulder. If you can't tuck the ends away to protect them at shoulder, you might find yourself in a similar situation next time you reach APL. I know things like peacock twists *are* re;atively protective, but having your ends exposed to the elements just can't compare to having them tucked away safely.

GrowinIt
May 6th, 2019, 11:39 AM
The ends may look less ratty if you bun it up, then only look at it with bun waves, otherwise, try not to look at it in the back =). Also, do the twirl, instead of having it hang straight down and all spread out, twirl it around your fingers in the front then toss it to your back, that way it'll be twirled up and less noticeable if anything is a bit off looking. Sometimes, if it is combed a certain way, one part looks a bit off, and then other times it doesn't, so just fiddling with it in these ways has helped me resist urges to trim.

Little Lemon
May 9th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Dreaming of cutting a bob or pixie today...

Pros:
-It’s a breeze to wash & dry.
-It’s fun to play with. I love the feeling of short hair lightly moving around.
-It would cut off all of my colored hair, making my hair 100% virgin.
-I could get short hair out of my system, then enjoy it long later.

Cons:
-Feel less feminine (I know it’s all in my head, but still...)
-My ends always flip out the wrong direction when it’s medium length.
-In my way when I’m trying to wash my face and do other practical things.
-I always grow it back out after I cut it, and then I have the awkward stages... for years.

I’m afraid if I grow my APL hair longer now, I’m going to wish I cut it while it was damaged and still somewhat short.

I’m afraid if I cut it, I’ll be annoyed with it and not feel pretty for way too long as it grows out.

:(

toastertroodle
May 9th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Dreaming of cutting a bob or pixie today...

Pros:
-It’s a breeze to wash & dry.
-It’s fun to play with. I love the feeling of short hair lightly moving around.
-It would cut off all of my colored hair, making my hair 100% virgin.
-I could get short hair out of my system, then enjoy it long later.

Cons:
-Feel less feminine (I know it’s all in my head, but still...)
-My ends always flip out the wrong direction when it’s medium length.
-In my way when I’m trying to wash my face and do other practical things.
-I always grow it back out after I cut it, and then I have the awkward stages... for years.

I’m afraid if I grow my APL hair longer now, I’m going to wish I cut it while it was damaged and still somewhat short.

I’m afraid if I cut it, I’ll be annoyed with it and not feel pretty for way too long as it grows out.

:(

It sounds like we are in a very similar predicament! My hair is between APL and BSL and the longest it has been in about 8 years but I have a bunch of layers that I am dying to get rid of. I've been debating getting a chin length bob to cut out the layers and start fresh which sounds so nice but I'm also hesitant to lose the length that I've gained. I seem to have my mind totally made up one day then doubt everything the next lol. I understand the struggle!

rhosyn_du
May 9th, 2019, 04:10 PM
I have an appointment for a trim in a couple weeks, and I'm considering asking my stylist to put in some face-framing layers. As I've aged and become much more light-handed with my makeup, having all my hair pulled away from my face has gone from looking polished and dramatic to looking stark and frumpy. I think having some pieces I could pull forward would soften that a lot, but I'm also worried that if I hate it (I've had bangs before, and those I definitely hated), it will take years to grow out, especially since I'm only trimming about 2" a year. On the other hand, I've also been thinking of growing my color out after my brother's wedding in June, so if I hate the face-framing layers, at least they'd be growing out along with the color.

Stray_mind
May 10th, 2019, 02:19 AM
Good idea to come here! Are you in any of the no-trimming challenges? If not, maybe try a microtrim or two and see if that makes your ends feel even a little bit better, enough that you can hold out until September for a bigger trim? If you are in a challenge, can you try holding out until the end of the first half?

Stray I've seen you mention a few times that APL is a great length for you, styling-wise. Of course it is up to you but if you could maintain and slowly trim away the hair you're not liking, you'll still be able to put it up with the great variety of styles you already have in your repertoire :) I guess it's a case of weighing up how much you dislike your ends, with how inconvenient it would be to go back to shoulder. If you can't tuck the ends away to protect them at shoulder, you might find yourself in a similar situation next time you reach APL. I know things like peacock twists *are* re;atively protective, but having your ends exposed to the elements just can't compare to having them tucked away safely.

My ends isn't the real problem though,i barely even have split ends.. The damage feels most severe right In the middle, about 4 inches away from my ends. This is where my hair likes to form Knots and tangles and this is where all the Frizz starts somehow.

I still haven't decided what to do. I'm probably gonna book a trim next month and see how much i want to get trimmed. Maybe trim just a little and if i still feel the frustration, then trim more the next month.

Thank you all for the support though :crush:

LongHairM
May 10th, 2019, 03:31 AM
Hey Stray, I have to respond since we basically have the same hair situation, length, and goal.
I really think you shouldn't cut to shoulder!
Firstly, growing from shoulder to TBL, your goal, will take you around 5 years, keep that in mind.
Second, you were so happy to reach APL! You showed us all the hairstyles you can do now.

If it really bothers you, I suggest slowly trimming your hair.
I'm starting to see a huge difference between the texture, look and feel of my regrowth and the bleached parts and it also makes me want to cut my hair, so I understand you, but realizing that slowly my healthy hair is taking over the damaged parts, and that growing to long lengths is so close (around a year and half for me) helps.
Do you have any special occasion soon? A wedding? A holiday? Is Christmas important to you? I use these kind of events as a goal so I can imagine having a nice hairstyle with the length I'm expected to get and it stops me from cutting :)

I really think you just reached a really tough part in the way, that if you pass it (in probably 3 months), it will become much easier afterwards. For that reason I say don't think about it for 2 weeks, think about it for a month, because I truly believe it will get easier, and if it doesn't - you can always cut then :flower:

Little Lemon
May 10th, 2019, 10:35 PM
It sounds like we are in a very similar predicament! My hair is between APL and BSL and the longest it has been in about 8 years but I have a bunch of layers that I am dying to get rid of. I've been debating getting a chin length bob to cut out the layers and start fresh which sounds so nice but I'm also hesitant to lose the length that I've gained. I seem to have my mind totally made up one day then doubt everything the next lol. I understand the struggle!

I agree it's hard to decide. The other night I was so excited to cut a pixie that I couldn't sleep, only to wake up in the morning thinking "naw". A different time I made a hair appointment, absolutely certain I wanted to cut a bob, only to call and cancel the appointment. I wish I could decide and move on with it, but I'm stuck in the middle wanting both!

Agava
May 11th, 2019, 01:19 PM
I agree it's hard to decide. The other night I was so excited to cut a pixie that I couldn't sleep, only to wake up in the morning thinking "naw". A different time I made a hair appointment, absolutely certain I wanted to cut a bob, only to call and cancel the appointment. I wish I could decide and move on with it, but I'm stuck in the middle wanting both!

Or..You don't want any of these two. ;)
Just look at this from another angle, without hurry. At this moment maybe it's better to have several mornings with the same haircut ideas.
If you don't want which cut do you want, think about do you even want to cut your hair or not? And think more about contra's , not pro's, because those pro's are leading to impulsive cut and regret.
Would cutting just the longest layer every 3-4 months, until the shortest become even with the hemline, have sense in a long term, at least in next 12 months?

Little Lemon
May 11th, 2019, 11:09 PM
Or..You don't want any of these two. ;)
Just look at this from another angle, without hurry. At this moment maybe it's better to have several mornings with the same haircut ideas.
If you don't want which cut do you want, think about do you even want to cut your hair or not? And think more about contra's , not pro's, because those pro's are leading to impulsive cut and regret.
Would cutting just the longest layer every 3-4 months, until the shortest become even with the hemline, have sense in a long term, at least in next 12 months?

I like how you said that "it's better to have several mornings with the same haircut ideas". And you're right- I can get overly excited with one or two pros on my side, but the cons are quite lengthy and should take precedent.

Agava
May 12th, 2019, 01:18 AM
I said that because I had such situation many times. And then I often regretted, because after a month or two, I wanted another haircut more, or I wanted my hair back to the length I had before the cut.
2- week rule is great, and I wish I knew about that before I cut my hair many times without knowing and truly deciding what did I really want in that time.
For a dramatic change, I think that now I would wait even two months before I choose a big chop.

Laura1986
May 12th, 2019, 09:46 AM
:couch:
Just checking in..
About a week ago I decided to trim after wanting to trim for more than two weeks. Instead of a big change (which I thought I wanted) I just trimmed of one inch, with the intention of cutting more if needed, but slowly over the course of multiple days/weeks. I am glad to share that I no longer feel the need to cut of more :) It somehow is less bothersome and I feel that I AM in control of my hair. So I will have a (long) bob for a while longer. As is starts growing past CB / shoulders I will reassess the situation and either keep a well maintained bob (I think I can improve my cutting technique) or grow to APL and see from there :)

Tl;dr: Strongly recommend two week rule and cutting in small increments.

Little Lemon
May 12th, 2019, 10:59 PM
:couch:
Just checking in..
About a week ago I decided to trim after wanting to trim for more than two weeks. Instead of a big change (which I thought I wanted) I just trimmed of one inch, with the intention of cutting more if needed, but slowly over the course of multiple days/weeks. I am glad to share that I no longer feel the need to cut of more :) It somehow is less bothersome and I feel that I AM in control of my hair. So I will have a (long) bob for a while longer. As is starts growing past CB / shoulders I will reassess the situation and either keep a well maintained bob (I think I can improve my cutting technique) or grow to APL and see from there :)

Tl;dr: Strongly recommend two week rule and cutting in small increments.

It's amazing how trimming the tiniest amount can change everything!

Stray_mind
May 15th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Well, it's been two weeks already (wow how time flies!) and i think i have succesfully gotten rid of the urge to chop. I am still getting a small trim on my ends either this month or next one.

I think i found a routine that my hair likes and maybe it sticks that way (holding my fingers crossed).

I found out that my Length can and does look good on some days, so i'll just strive for it to look good on Most days while slowly trimming away the damage.

Agava
May 16th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Good choice, Stray! You can always make a beautiful two-coloured bun if you feel you have a bad hair day.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Well, it's been two weeks already (wow how time flies!) and i think i have succesfully gotten rid of the urge to chop. I am still getting a small trim on my ends either this month or next one.

I think i found a routine that my hair likes and maybe it sticks that way (holding my fingers crossed).

I found out that my Length can and does look good on some days, so i'll just strive for it to look good on Most days while slowly trimming away the damage.

Remember to tell yourself that if you want TBL hair it HAS to go through this stage (which you may not particularly like) but it is only a stage your hair is going through and in another inch or three you will most likely love your hair again :)

Stray_mind
May 16th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Remember to tell yourself that if you want TBL hair it HAS to go through this stage (which you may not particularly like) but it is only a stage your hair is going through and in another inch or three you will most likely love your hair again :)

It's not about the length. I rather Like my length now actually, as my hair fluffs up and becomes thicker looking... It's the dye damage i don't like. :)
The constant tangling and frizz is driving me nuts. Well, was anyway. This last wash turned out rather well.

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Stray, that's great to hear. I know you don't like the damage, but you have been so patient for so long, in trimming it slowly and bit by bit that I almost can't imagine you doing it any other way! :D :flower:

Stardreamer
June 1st, 2019, 01:01 AM
I want an undercut. Try to change my mind.
My hair's mostly one length and I get severe triangle head at this length between shoulders and APL.
It has a lot of bulk and poof. A lot of the bulk is the hair underneath?
Yeah I want it. Even though it's now winter, and would look strange with a bun.

Begemot
June 1st, 2019, 01:15 AM
Hmm maybe try cutting some layers to lighten your hair before getting an undercut? Layers would be easier to grow out if you end up missing your triangle head :D Personally I think it could be pretty cool look, undercut and a bun. My brother has thick hair and has an undercut pretty much all year round. He wears rest of the hair up often enough and I think it looks fun.

Stardreamer
June 1st, 2019, 02:19 AM
Hmm maybe try cutting some layers to lighten your hair before getting an undercut? Layers would be easier to grow out if you end up missing your triangle head :D Personally I think it could be pretty cool look, undercut and a bun. My brother has thick hair and has an undercut pretty much all year round. He wears rest of the hair up often enough and I think it looks fun.

Yeah but on a girl.. lol.
Why would I miss my triangle head? xD
I'll sit on this for 2 weeks

Agava
June 1st, 2019, 02:36 AM
How do you mean triangle head? You you mean triangle silhouette because of a relatively blunt cut?
I think that if your hair gets longer ( about 6cm) you won't have triangle thoughts anymore.
You may cut your hair in U shape or add just a bit of layers as Begemot suggested, and it may change your perspective.
The other thing, that undercut..How long would you like to have it? And after you decide to grow it again, how long would it take to reach this length now?

I wouldn't only think about few days of happines but also about 2 years post-cut agony, if I can say so.

lapushka
June 1st, 2019, 09:34 AM
You need to maintain an undercut. There's that. There's no doing it once, no. You have to go get it done at least once a month, if not sooner depending on how fast it grows. So think long & hard!

Ylva
June 1st, 2019, 10:40 AM
Once your hair gets a bit longer, instead of a triangle head you'll have woooooonderfully thick and plentiful ends.