PDA

View Full Version : Hair gone from straight to wavy?

joyfulmom4
October 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
After seeing the poll on hair type preference (straight, wavy or curly) I had to ask.

Has anyone experienced a complete change in their hair type (other than with chemical treatments or perms)?

When I was younger, my hair was quite straight. It maybe had just a hint of a wave on a humid day, but generally it was straight. Back in the 80's, when perms were all the rage, I even tried to perm it and it didn't take the curl well at all. It was pretty straight even with a perm.

Then after each of my pregnancies (four kids) it got just a little more wavy. And the waviness seemed to progress from the back to the front. Now, it's quite wavy throughout. When I had it cut short and layered, it was even a bit curly. Now, being very long, it just looks ripply.

A hairstylist once told me that was common. I haven't met anyone else who has had it happen though.

Anyone here?

Juneii
October 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
hmmm... well I remember when I was little my hair was stick straight but now it has body waves. I hope this isn't true because the waves look awkward on me [makes me look like I have a humpback]. it might be because I have layers and it's spread out too much?
it would be pretty cool to have curly hair though, it's like my dream hair :] maybe when I grow older..

Jorja
October 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
HI JoyfulMom

I used to have straight hair, in fact it wasn't until I got to my 30s and got lazy as my hair got longer I stopped blow drying it and saw it was wavy. So I either always had wavy hair or the blow drying was hiding them!

Pictures from when I was young show me with straight hair, so I think it's a recent thing. I don't mind, I quite like it! :)

mandeloo
October 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
oh yes, pregnancy changed my hair from straight to wavy!

Addy
October 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Straight to wavy here too!

paper
October 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
When I was younger I had stick straight hair. Now it has a little wave to it.

after hours
October 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I went to school with a girl who had thick brown hair that changed from straight to curly around the age of 14-ish/puberty.

I would be so happy if my hair changed some time.

Madam Librarian
October 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Mine has changed from the straight 1b hair I've had from birth to my early twenties, to wavy 2c hair, and I'm even starting to get some 3a curls thrown in here and there. If it keeps up, I might have a fro by the time I'm 30. :D

I haven't had any pregnancies, but I have had some hormonal issues for quite some time that I have just recently been able to get a good handle on. I did learn to treat my hair better when I found LHC, but I think good care can only go so far. I really think hormones deserve the bulk of the blame for my changing hair.

I work with a girl who has always had wavy hair, but it went straight right after she had her daughter. Her doctor said her hormones were to blame, and her hair eventually became wavy again.

It's strange that hormones can affect hair this way, isn't it?

SweetPea88
October 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
When I was a little girl I remember my hair being stick straight. Then as a got a bit older it all of a sudden turned curly. Now it's wavy! :p

Magicknthenight
October 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
HI JoyfulMom

I used to have straight hair, in fact it wasn't until I got to my 30s and got lazy as my hair got longer I stopped blow drying it and saw it was wavy. So I either always had wavy hair or the blow drying was hiding them!

Pictures from when I was young show me with straight hair, so I think it's a recent thing. I don't mind, I quite like it! :)
same here. I always thought i had straight hair but i guess as a kid i didn't really look at it. Either that or it changed. I have big waves so it takes length to be seen. I blow dried it for a while a few years back and i was still trying to grow my hair back then. But after that i realized i have wavy hair. I like it too :)

AnneAdeline
October 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My hair is still straight, but I have a friend who has 3b-ish hair that was 2b-ish when she was younger. So I can still hope that I will someday have wavy hair.

invisiblebabe
October 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, mine went from mostly straight (probably 1b) to wavy (probably 2a) when I was 15.

A girl who went to high school with me had hers change from what looked like 1c, to 3a/b. It got REALLY curly!

Chanterelle
October 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM
As a kid and in my early teens I was a grey-eyed blond with straw-straight hair. Later I morphed and now I'm gree-eyed with brown wavy hair.

eadwine
October 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
My mom had the opposite happen. She was wavy and went straight at her pregnancy. Never got wavy again.

Periwinkle
October 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
When I was very little, my hair was stick straight (1a) and really thick. Then it thinned out a LOT (obviously I have no measurements but probably from a high iii to a lowish ii) and went to a 1b-ish straightness. Now it's even thicker than it's ever been and wavy.

I have one friend who had really thick, coarse hair with deep s-waves in. Then about two years ago, it suddenly started making itself into the most GORGEOUS ringlets - it's stunning! Her younger sister has hair that's exactly like hers was - it'll be interesting to see if she gets ringlets too :)

Arctic
October 19th, 2008, 06:01 AM
My hair was straight but started to develop waves after few weeks of membership here :)
I think your hair dresser is right, it is common to change hair type: sometimes the pegnancy hormones does that, sometimes other hormones, sometimes just the aging process, and sometimes the way we care of our hair...

Dolly
October 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
One of my cousins had a bout with breast cancer about 2 years ago......because of the chemo and radiation, she lost all of her hair, which had been fine and stick straight. When her hair grew back, it is curly.....and I don't mean just wavy, I mean really CURLY.....it is quite strange.....

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Interesting. It appears that I'm definitely not alone.

spidermom
October 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Mine can be curly/wavy one day and nearly straight the next. It was straight with cowlicks when I was younger. I think those cowlicks were future curls.

darkwaves
October 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Mine can be curly/wavy one day and nearly straight the next. Mine, too. But mine was none of the above, but instead simply frizzy, when I was young.

Now, at least, its straightness, waviness, and curliness are more contained!

wtchmel
October 20th, 2008, 01:31 AM
my hair went from totally straight as a child/teen to super wavy as an adult. For me, I believe it's the extreme amount of gray hair, and that hair is always wavy wirey.

jivete
October 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Mine got more wavy when I quit cones and shampoo. It may have always been wavy, but I'm not sure.

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Since I've been an active member here, my hair has gotten slightly wavy. It's by no means curly or even what others would consider wavy, but from stick straight and flat to a bit of body that holds braid waves is wavy to me.

I think it's a combination of nixing the blow dryer and cones, better treatment and more moisture that's done it for me.

crazy me
October 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
My mother had five girls and she always said with each one of us we took a little bit more of her curly hair.

My hair when it is short is fairly straight, but as it grows it get curly. When I was in bootcamp I would often times wake up with an afro!!! It curled so much my hair stuck up around my hair, and that was only at a bob. When my hair reached my shoulders the curl seemed to be pulling out of it, but now that it's longer it has started curling more. Maybe that's also because I've switched to using just water? You can see how much curl my hair after it dries in my avatar. I have heard of many of my friends having the same thing happen after having kids. I have had the same comment come from a guy after having a child!

Vijikanth
October 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Mine is a different and quite the inverse...Ofcourse it is getting wavy as it is growing long. But mine is naturally more curly(got it frm my mom) but recently noticed that my hair is getting little strainght. I thought thats because of more brushing. does brushing of hair get it slightly straight??? I want my curls back:(

Sammybunny711
October 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, my hair was pretty stringy when I was younger. I had WAIST LENGTH HAIR (boohoo...) when I was in middle school and I took VERY poor care of it and my mother and everyone wanted me to cut it. So I had pixie for five years. When I started growing it out as an adult, it has body waves and certainly does its own thing. There aren't many s-waves but it definitely has more body and is MUCH healthier than when I was younger. :o)

chelles2kids
October 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Oh yea! I was once a straighty and after having each of my kiddos, my hair became wavier with each one.

I've been told by countless people that it's a hormonal thing?

My 13 dd. just can't believe that my hair used to be as straight as hers is now.

Forever_Sophie
October 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
When I was little, there was a bit of a curl to it which disappeared, it became straight, eventually, flat-ironed-looking! Post-chemo, it was very wavy, curly on the sides, and now seems to be straightening out again (thankfully!).

hobbitgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
I was a bald baby.
Then I had straight wispy baby hair.
When I got real hair it was curly.
Then it went to straight/wavy with this odd flip thing (a natural curling under on the right, and an outward flip on the left side of my head. Mom used to put curlers on the left side of my head only to try and get them to all curl the same).
then, beginning around 11-13 when I hit purberty (as if I didn't have enough going on) the curls came back.
It took until I was in my 20s to learn to love my curls.

rhubarbarin
October 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
I was curly ages 2-5, (not very) wavy 6-13, and quite curly since then.. now it seems to be getting wavier again.

My hair type also change a lot with length. When it's very short it's fluffy instead of curly and sticks straight up. After it's a few inches long, until just past shoulder length, it's about a 3a. After than, the longer it gets, the looser the curl. When I was a kid I had hair past BSL, if it had been shorter (and my mom hadn't always been brushing and blow-drying it) maybe it would have been curlier.

Except for two patches at the nape of my neck, one of which is consistantly a coarse 3b, the other a silky, fine 2a.

From what I've seen in other people hair type changes are very common throughout life, and seemed to be linked to hormonal changes (puburty, pregnancy/childbirth, and menopause).

Eireann
October 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
After seeing the poll on hair type preference (straight, wavy or curly) I had to ask.

Has anyone experienced a complete change in their hair type (other than with chemical treatments or perms)?

When I was younger, my hair was quite straight. It maybe had just a hint of a wave on a humid day, but generally it was straight. Back in the 80's, when perms were all the rage, I even tried to perm it and it didn't take the curl well at all. It was pretty straight even with a perm.

Then after each of my pregnancies (four kids) it got just a little more wavy. And the waviness seemed to progress from the back to the front. Now, it's quite wavy throughout. When I had it cut short and layered, it was even a bit curly. Now, being very long, it just looks ripply.

A hairstylist once told me that was common. I haven't met anyone else who has had it happen though.

Anyone here?

Yep. When I had long hair in my teens it was stick straight, and, like you, I even tried perming it once and it had no effect. When it was shorter, I usually blow-dried it, so I guess I wouldn't have known if it was wavier or not. In the last few years that I have been growing it longer and not heat styling it is quite wavy and even has the occasional spiral curly when it is freshly washed. I chaulk it up to hormones as this started happening in my late 30s early 40s. I love it, actually! (Probably because I was a teen in the 80s when we all wanted big hair!)