PDA

View Full Version : Hair type -- 3a or ?

Beborani
July 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I don't usually start threads like this but it seems to me that there is a subtle shift of curliness scale on lhc (as compared to naturallycurly), so in interest of consistency I should probably type myself correctly. There are pictures in this blog-- the comments section has some more.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=126962

XiaoBaiTu
July 28th, 2016, 11:38 PM
I would say 3a, personally, or possibly 2c/3a. It's too curly to be classed as wavy (in my opinion) and tighter curls would likely be present further up on the canopy. Are you able to coax it to curl at the roots, say by separating curls with fingers, combing out from the scalp instead of straight down to increase volume, scrunching with gel or styling with curling cream, etc.?

pailin
July 29th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I would say 3a because you have ringlets. And not just one or two, but all of your ends.
I haven't spent any time on naturallycurly, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference in typing if they tend to be mostly 3's and 4's and lhc has a lot of 1's and 2's. I wouldn't try to say who's right or wrong, but it's not surprising that the perspective would be different.

spirals
July 29th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Your ends are like 3b but since it doesn't curl to the root I'm inclined to say 3a. I've heard that 3a curls are the diameter of a magic marker and 3b are like a Sharpie. Other than that, I don't know. I can tell you it's very pretty, no matter the type.

Anya15
July 29th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I'd say 3a/3b., or solid 3a at the very least. Like I said, you're definitely not in the 2s! Gorgeous hair btw!

lapushka
July 29th, 2016, 03:03 AM
I would say 3a, possibly 3a/b.

Johannah
July 29th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Your ends are like 3b but since it doesn't curl to the root I'm inclined to say 3a.

My thought exactly.

Beborani
July 29th, 2016, 07:44 AM
The consensus seems to be 3a.

My canopy is straighter and annoyingly so when I try to coax face- framing curls so I felt 2c was justified but hair typing on lhc seems to be about overall look and 3 look dominates in those pictures. I have seen 3bs and they seem to be in a class of their own. So perhaps 3a is a happy medium. Thanks all for chiming in.

Anje
July 29th, 2016, 08:20 AM
I think I'd stick to 3a, but honestly, it almost looks like your hair was curlier a few years ago and it's changing to more wavy now.

Beborani
July 29th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Even I feel that way Anje. It could be henna/indigo or increase in density which pulls out curls (I have to wait and see if the hair near the top will be straighter when it gets to the ends in a few years).

Beborani
July 30th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I am also going to take some of the 3b suggestions seriously and start paying closer attention to recommendations for that hairtype as under layer certainly exhibit that trait. Posting this thread has definitely given me food for thought as I never imagined myself that curly though some the issues I face are related to that.