PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girl Attempt

Ashflower89
July 28th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I've decided to give the curly girl method my first honest try. My current routine is shampoo roots + condition length with the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration set, every other day. I use coconut oil to tame frizz and add shine, and that's it for products, not a fan of piling things on. My hair is 2b-ish when I air dry it without brushing, and I'm a little too obsessive about keeping it smooth and detangled, brushing my whole head twice a day and detangling with a wide tooth comb after showers, and I guess I've just never noticed how much that pulls out my curls.

Last weekend I went swimming in a lake and completely ignored it for the entire day, and by the end of that night I had the cutest little ringlets/swirls I've ever seen my own hair form before. I showered that night and tried "plopping" for the first time and they came right back and I kinda liked it.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/irisalea89/curls_zpsninp0aj9.jpg

So after some reading I realize theres about a billion different variations to the CG method, and I've got a lot of options. I really don't want to give up the Hello Hydration line, which has both cones and sulfates. Has anyone tried cowashing with a coney conditioner before? Maybe I can cowash every other wash, and still shampoo on the in-between washes to take care of buildup. As far as non-showering products, I'd rather keep it pretty minimal and either continue using coconut oil or pick a good leave-in condish, but not both. If anyone here is doing the CG method, what is your favorite leave-in? Never been a fan of gel at all so probably skipping that part entirely.

I'm definitely loving plopping, even bought a satin nightcap to try the sleeping "pinneaple" style since I go to bed right after a shower, but can't seem to get this dang cap over all my hair (not like i have that much, an inch or two from APL). I read that the only time you should even detangle is in the shower with conditioner in, is that true? Kicking the overbrushing habit is tough, but seeing the curl formation by leaving alone is good motivation! Excited to see how it goes. =)

Lanalavallama
July 29th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Your hair looks absolutely beautiful. What you described reminds me of the Tightly Curly method, which I am experimenting with at the moment. I haven't read the CG book, but from reading /watching other's experience I believe you only detangle while your hair is soaked with conditioner. Hopefully, those who know will weigh in.

All the best with the method! :)

ephemeri
July 29th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Your hair looks great! I can't say I have a favorite leave in because I've only tried two: As I Am and Kinky Curly Knot Today. I like KCKT, but did not like the As I Am.

I've found that with the CG method, it can be a lot of trial and error, since everyone's hair and routines are so different.

lapushka
July 29th, 2016, 05:15 AM
So after some reading I realize theres about a billion different variations to the CG method, and I've got a lot of options. I really don't want to give up the Hello Hydration line, which has both cones and sulfates. Has anyone tried cowashing with a coney conditioner before? Maybe I can cowash every other wash, and still shampoo on the in-between washes to take care of buildup. As far as non-showering products, I'd rather keep it pretty minimal and either continue using coconut oil or pick a good leave-in condish, but not both. If anyone here is doing the CG method, what is your favorite leave-in? Never been a fan of gel at all so probably skipping that part entirely.

I'm definitely loving plopping, even bought a satin nightcap to try the sleeping "pinneaple" style since I go to bed right after a shower, but can't seem to get this dang cap over all my hair (not like i have that much, an inch or two from APL). I read that the only time you should even detangle is in the shower with conditioner in, is that true? Kicking the overbrushing habit is tough, but seeing the curl formation by leaving alone is good motivation! Excited to see how it goes. =)

I pick & choose from CG. I still have to wash with a sulfate shampoo, so my answer to the lack of moisture, added dryness is to condition twice after washing. It is called WCC. Then I do LOC and sometimes ROOM (rinse-out oil method). It works for me, and it brings my waves to life.

If you can't CO-wash, there's always shampoo and it doesn't have to be an ordeal or "breaking the rules" at all. If you are CO-washing watch out for added shed hair, if that happens to you (it's a "thing"), then it is better to stop CO-washing and switch back to shampoo. You could go sulfate-free, maybe, in that case.

Ashflower89
July 29th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Lanalavallama: Thank you! I tried looking up the tightly curly method and found an official website, but the actual method page just kept redirecting me to the home page, it confused me. I think I will stick to detangling with conditioner, but the idea of going into the shower with hair that hasn't been detangled for 2 days makes me a bit nervous lol.

ephemeri: Thanks =) I'll have to look up KCKT, and you're right, everyone's hair is unique and requires a unique routine.

lapushka: Its good to hear the method still improves curls even with sulfates. I always thought conditioning twice didn't do anything at all, but maybe there's something to it with how much it's talked about on these forums. I've never tried soaking my whole head with any kind of oil before and almost afraid to because I've heard horror stories. The most I've done is a light coat of coconut oil for shine/frizz taming. Thanks for the info about shedding, I wouldn't have even made the connection between cowashing and extra shedding if it did happen.

Wildcat Diva
July 29th, 2016, 06:58 PM
I do what you said about shampooing every other wash. I use HH conditioner too.

I have a silk scrunchie. I can pineapple with that and then maneuver it into my silk sleeping cap. Tailboneish length.

vampyyri
July 29th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I also pick and choose from the CG method, I clarify every wash (every 2-3 days) and use no-cone conditioner on the lengths only (WCC). I can't use a silk pillowcase or cap, or I get super oily hair the next day. I'm too oily for strictly no-sulfate or co-washing, so I modify as needed!

I also use the LOC method to lock in what I have and enhance up from 1c/2a to 2b!

Beborani
July 29th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I cowash, use coney conditioners and though my rinse out conditioner is Loreal my leave-in conditioner is Hello Hydration. It is not slippy enough for me to use as rinse out so I have a bottle exclusively for leave-in. My rinse out conditioner leaves a residue when used as leave-in so it does require a bit of experimentation in the beginning stages. I never shampoo my hair and have been doing just fine. CG guidelines are just a suggestion-- you do whatever works for you.

sanguinebread
July 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Yeah, the CG method is complicated enough I wouldn't suggest trying to start everything at once. You won't have any idea which parts are making positive changes that way.

My hair's curlier than yours, but personally I cowash and pretty much never shampoo. I would definitely suggest trying this out if it interests you, but if your hair doesn't respond well after a trial period, well, your hair didn't like that. Mine looked good, but my scalp was greasy until I started preening in the shower pretty extensively to rinse it thoroughly. I don't think it's that important to get the right conditioner right away, or rather, it's good to find one you like but there's no good way of telling what your hair will like in advance.

The one part I do think is important for almost everyone is only detangling with conditioner in/wet; this makes a really huge difference to most people's hair because curly hair dries naturally in a certain pattern, and once you've disrupted the pattern by, say, brushing it dry you can't get it back without washing it again. I don't think I've met anyone with curly hair that this wasn't true of.

I also use a T shirt to plop dry instead of drying with a towel by rubbing. The difference this made wasn't as dramatic as the other two, but I do think it helps my hair. (I only started plopping once my hair got long enough that gravity was messing with the curls; before that I usually wrung it out with a T shirt.)

(First post by a longtime lurker -- the Curly Girl book was what originally got me into long hair care..)

Ashflower89
July 29th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Wildcat Diva: Awesome. I need to learn how to do that sleep cap maneuver lol, not very good at it yet.

vampyyri: Ohh, so using sulfate poo and a non-silicone condish doesn't dry you out? I hear you on the silk pillowcase. What is the LOC method?

Beborani: Thanks for the input, I will definitely have to experiment for a while.

sanguinebread: Thats true, too much at once will just confuse things. My curls get mashed so easily and plopping is making a major difference. I've been sort of like scrunch-drying with a towel to get the excess water off then plopping in a shirt after that. I used to squeeze it dry and it just flattened my curls to like 2a waves.

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 02:59 AM
Also someone who got into long hair care from Curly Girl method (it's literally what made me think I could actually take care of long hair again, tbh.) I definitely pick and choose - I don't even remember the full instructions anymore. I never use gel unless I'm doing a very specific style that has to stay photo-pretty all day. I think the last time was at my sister's graduation and I'd done a french twist the first time.

I CO wash, use hair oil for flyaways, and only shampoo if I got something in my hair like gel, chlorine, or saltwater. I shift between a leave-in and a regular conditioner - the brands I use are Beautiful Curls for leave-in and Giovanni for wash-out, and I keep both on hand all the time. I avoid cones and sulfates, but that's as much because I have to have a gluten-free conditioner which pushes me into fancier cone-and-sulfate-free brands on its own. The main thing I have struggled with is that if I'm not careful about how MUCH leave-in I use my hair can wind up greasy, but if it does I just use the wash-out conditioner the next couple times until it's rebalanced.

Again, watch your hair and see how it does with your product of choice, but since you asked for brand suggestions those're mine. I think a technique you're comfortable using consistently will matter more than what exactly you're using in the end.