PDA

View Full Version : Where did you buy your comb? (Horn, Wood) + Newbie Question

Seratopia
July 28th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Hello all,

A few of you lovely people might remember me from my previous thread asking about the condition of my hair and the sorts. Well, now that my hair is in the right direction, I think I am in need of a comb as plenty of you suggested.

I have fine hair, in a pony it's about 1 1/2 inches thick so I placed myself between i/ii. I've received many comments directing me to wide tooth combs but wouldn't someone with my hair type want a fine tooth comb because my hair strands would be too small for the wide toothed? Is there such thing as a medium spaced toothed comb? I would like clarification of which would be the best for my hair before I buy one. I've been looking at plenty of websites and old LHC threads regarding combs but many of the links had expired. Maybe a new updated list is what we need.

Anje
July 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
1 1/2 inches across or around? The categories we go by are circumference, so a pony that's 1.5 inches across is actually pretty thick.

Wide tooth is still what you want even for fine hair for detangling. You don't need to separate individual hairs or anything. Finer combs are optional (I never use one), and you'd only want to use one after you've gotten the tangles out with the wide-tooth one.

If you want a wooden comb, the Body Shop one is well-loved. There are a number of good ones in Etsy, too, if you want something less generic.

Oh, and it you feel like curating a new list, I'll happily sticky it!

Decoy24601
July 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Well, wide-tooth VS. fine-tooth doesn't really have to do much with hair strand thickness. Whether you have coarse or fine hair, wide-tooth combs will still be the best and most gentle option for detangling. I use a fine-tooth comb after detangling just to get the smaller snarls out of my hair that a wide-tooth comb misses, but that's not completely necessary. I just like how it makes my hair look neat.

I have seamless acetate combs from EternallyInAmber (as well as a BBB) and I love them. I don't have much issues with static while using them and they glide through my hair much more effortlessly than horn. I still use my fine-tooth horn comb to massage/scritch my scalp though, since my BBB doesn't reach my scalp much at all.

JoyoComb on etsy has some really nice wooden combs (and horn combs). I've heard a lot of good things about the body shop wooden comb, but I've also heard that it's not very smooth and feels a little rough, so YMMV.

Evolatree (on etsy, their website, and amazon) has some good wood/horn combs that are similar to JoyoComb, but they don't seem to be quite as smooth.

I found the thread that was about where to fine seamless combs (it's still on the first page): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138992

Seratopia
July 28th, 2016, 04:31 PM
1 1/2 inches across or around? The categories we go by are circumference, so a pony that's 1.5 inches across is actually pretty thick.

Wide tooth is still what you want even for fine hair for detangling. You don't need to separate individual hairs or anything. Finer combs are optional (I never use one), and you'd only want to use one after you've gotten the tangles out with the wide-tooth one.

If you want a wooden comb, the Body Shop one is well-loved. There are a number of good ones in Etsy, too, if you want something less generic.

Oh, and it you feel like curating a new list, I'll happily sticky it!

2 1/2 is my circumference not across (I wish though) lol.
And yes, I also saw a recent thread my eyes must of overlooked previously. I can make a list for you guys. Once I gather enough links (or I can find some from the older threads that work or I'll do more research) I'll create another thread to have them categorized for us for future purchases.

This is probably a dumb question but are wide toothed combs also used for styling?

Seratopia
July 28th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Also, want to add my boyfriend guesstimated my pony tail thickness for me and came up with the 1 1/2 pony tail thickness (across). It's not. I got myself an actual ruler and it's nowhere near that. I legitimately measured the circumference and THAT is 2 1/2 inches. Just to clear confusion. I wish this site would let me edit. -_-

Sorry! Total newbie here.

Decoy24601
July 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Well, thickness isn't based on the "across" measurement anyways. It's ponytail circumference. :) So, you would definitely be ii thickness, not i/ii.

nekosan
July 28th, 2016, 08:36 PM
If you want a wooden comb, the Body Shop one is well-loved.
How does one make the Body Shop's wooden detangling comb usable? I just got one, and it's quite rough; one pass through my hair tore off three strands.

I'm not sure I have the patience to individually sand down the tines. I'd need to buy finer sandpaper, too. >_< Ah well, at least it was cheap.

pailin
July 28th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I sanded mine a little, mostly down where the teeth meet the spine because that's where I found things that could catch. After that it worked fine until I broke it a couple weeks ago.

ETA I already had the sandpaper from something else; but it was really cheap, like maybe 30 cents for a sheet. I think I spent a grand total of 5 minutes on it. I folded it to get it in between the teeth.

Anje
July 28th, 2016, 09:27 PM
How does one make the Body Shop's wooden detangling comb usable? I just got one, and it's quite rough; one pass through my hair tore off three strands.

I'm not sure I have the patience to individually sand down the tines. I'd need to buy finer sandpaper, too. >_< Ah well, at least it was cheap.

Mine were already pretty smooth, though several need some tlc. Something like 300 and maybe 600 grit sandpaper should get them really smooth if they need some work.

Lately, my Eternally In Amber comb and Tangle Teezer get way more use.