PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo

juliemarieeg
July 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Hey guys! Questions for shampooers-- How often do you guys shampoo your hair? How long have you gone in between shampoo treatments? And do you guys condition it in between shampoos or just wait it out?

Thanks! :o

Lilith91
July 28th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I shampoo whenever it feels really dirty, which usually means after I've been to the gym- so about 3-4 times a week. I have blunt front bangs and wash those most mornings so that they're not all greasy- and then it makes my hair look better overall. I only condition when I wash my hair.

lapushka
July 28th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I used to need to wash 2/3x a week. Now I weekly wash. Ever since hitting BSL this turned into a gradual weekly wash for me. It gets better with length, for some.

truepeacenik
July 28th, 2016, 09:14 AM
This is a common question, but I know the search function is ...picky.

Are you looking for suggestions? If so, your hair type, which describes waviness and thickness would be helpful.

What works for me, with thicker and barely wavy hair is far different than for thin, fine hair or cozily hair of any thickness.

My routine, and I use that almost sarcastically since I fiddle a lot, is three scalp washes per week, and if one doesn't become a full wash (meaning for me that the dilute no SLS shampoo is allowed to go down the length,) I'll toss in another full wash.
I will condition my ends, and that is 4-12 inches on me, in the bathroom sink. My hair is indifferent to leave in conditioners. I can't tell if they help, but they don't hurt, so if I have some, I use it, and if not, no worries.
Oil is a better option for me in most cases.

Now, I use very few silicones. I keep one bottle of coney conditioner and I have a spray bottle of shine serum.
They are never used together, never above about six inches (with the exception of nape tangles), and not all that often.
I do notice they seem to coat my hair a bit more than I'd like, and with such light shampoo in rotation, it takes a while to get it off.

If silicones or heavier coating oils get used in a month, I do clarify at some point. Seems to be two weeks out from the use. My signal is Velcro like ends.

In a hot climate, I daily wash but I dilute the shampoo further, apply only on scalp and try to keep it off the very ends. A sloppy scalp wash.

samanthaa
July 28th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Fine, thin hair here, and I shampoo once a week with a shampoo bar. Throughout the week, though, I'll do some water- or conditioner-washes, since I run (and sweat!) 4-5 per week, but I try to skip wetting my hair at all if I can, opting instead to just let the sweat dry and maybe use a natural dry shampoo.

arr
July 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I shampoo every other day. I used to go every third day but my hormones are getting wacky as I near my forties and I've become more greasy lately, even on my face. I don't wet it on the off days. The longest I've ever intentionally gone without washing (not counting illness and hospitalization) is maybe 5 days max and that's if I'm on a camping trip and don't care what I look like and don't want to mess with my hair.

Johannah
July 28th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I shampoo twice a week. I only use a leave-in after I washed it.

Seratopia
July 28th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I shampoo whenever I oil which is every three days, so roughly two times a week. On the third day of not washing my hair is usually oily from scalp anyway so I guess this is a good routine for me.

Anje
July 28th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I tend to wash my hair when it's starting to look heavy at the roots, or when it's convenient and I know I won't get a chance later. Lately, that's about every 2-3 days. It's not really a thing I stress about either way. I've had it stretched longer between washes in the past, but right now it seems really happy with this routine.

What I'm washing with though.... I've got some of that cheapo Suave Naturals SLES shampoo, and an empty bottle from the conditioner (which my hair has always loved). I'll put in a healthy squeeze of shampoo, maybe a palmful, into the empty bottle, then I fill it with about 500mL of water, carefully so it doesn't foam up too badly. It must be diluted something like 20:1, though I can't say I measure anything. Mix it up well, and then whenever I wash, I just squirt this directly on my scalp and lather up with it, usually using enough to get a bit of a lather at my scalp, though not enough to carry down the length without applying more. My bottle of diluted shampoo must last something like a month before I use it all up, and it gets to my roots more effectively than undiluted shampoo does, plus it's just less harshness to the hair and scalp.

I generally don't wet my hair in between washes, so no additional conditioner on it. I usually do oil it a bit once it's dry-ish after a wash. If the ends are just feeling weird, I have been known to grab my braid tassel, wet it in the sink, condition it, and rinse. ;)

missrandie
July 28th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I can tell you that I wash somewhere around 2x/week. Whether that be a cowash or with shampoo and conditioner entirely depends. I don't have much of a routine :o

juliemarieeg
July 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone!

sommer
September 30th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Hey guys! Questions for shampooers-- How often do you guys shampoo your hair? How long have you gone in between shampoo treatments? And do you guys condition it in between shampoos or just wait it out?

Thanks! :o

I use shampoo every time I wash my hair :) It means once for two-three days, not less because my hair belongs to the greasy type and ignoring often washing is a really bad idea in my case :D
Several months ago I used a shampoo with conditioner, I usually used the second one after washing, then simply washed it too :) Later I started to use the professional organic shampoos with oils like in this list link (http://machohairstyles.com/best-shampoo-for-men/) and the effect from them was enough for my hair. Also I make masks from different oils at least twice a week, I'm satisfied with the results :o
At the current time I'm using this shampoo brand :o

image (hotlinking not permitted) (http://machohairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Scalp-18-Coal-and-Tar-Shampoo.jpg)

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I shampoo 2x/week in Summer (3x if sweaty).... and 1x/week in Winter (my hair gets very dry).

It is conditioned only with a shampoo.

I've never gone more than a week; it would drive me nuts :p

vampyyri
September 30th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Full wash (with conditioners) is every 2-3 days with scalp washes inbetween, and I wash my bangs daily.

Ashenputtel
September 30th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Fine hair here with medium thickness and SD. I wash every other day. I don't need to condition in between, my hair is not dry at all, quite the opposite.

H o n є y ❤
September 30th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I shampoo once a week. I actually stretched my shampoo about 2 days this week and had to shampoo just 2 hours ago because of my scalp. My hair was fine but my scalp was itchy. Now it feels so nice :) I do add more product to my hair between washes if it begins to wear off.

Kajzh
September 30th, 2016, 08:10 PM
I shampoo once a week. I don't cowash in between shampoos, but sometimes I WO wash.

The longest I've gone between shampoos was wayyy back when I had relaxed hair. I would wash it every 4-6 weeks, but I'm sure I stretched it for even longer on some occasions. Back then, I didn't cowash or WO wash either — my head literally would not come into contact with water of any kind for 4-6 weeks!

animetor7
September 30th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I shampoo with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars once a week on Saturdays then do a scalp wash on Tuesday evenings with very diluted Shea Moisture shampoo and don't get my length wet. Throughout the week I coconut oil every evening on the ends and re-dampen the ends with a water, conditioner, essential oil mix in spay bottle a few times a week before adding the oil to help with absorption. I'll also use dry shampoo just on my scalp about twice a week if my roots are a bit greasy. The re-dampening helps a lot with oil absorption and water retention throughout the week. If I got particularly hot or sweaty I might CO midweek, but generally I just spritz with my re-dampening mix to freshen up. And once a month or so I clarify just using a cheap sulfatey shampoo, currently I'm using Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo, but it changes. Good luck finding your routine!!!

Frankenstein
September 30th, 2016, 10:52 PM
I shampoo every time I wash, which is three times a week. I don't dilute it, just use a small amount and only apply it to my roots and scalp (unless I'm clarifying). I also don't do anything between washes except for the occasional oiling, but I have given that up for the time being.