PDA

View Full Version : Hi, newbie here wth a tangle question.

celtic
July 27th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Hi, i am new here and so happy to be part of this forum.

i have baby fine hair, mostly straight and have always had trouble with tangles. now let me tell you some about my hair care, i wash my hair once a week, normal baby poo or clarifying, oil daily with a mix of coconut, castor, EVOO, rosehip, and shea butter. condition with tresemme, alternate between tresemme condish, deep treatment and daily defense coconut condish. braid for sleep, either bun or braid for day, my hair is maybe half an inch from tailbone.

Now the problem, i tend to brush my hair twice a day, but my hair tangles so much no matter how i care for it. i get the thick tangles with a lot of fairy knots. i use a BBB on dry hair, and a wide tooth comb on wet hair. i hope someone can help me understand why my hair tangles so much. i very rarely wear my hair down/loose, only the evening i washed my hair. or on special occasions. the tangles go from the crown to ends, mostly at the nape of my hair. i do toss and turn a lot, use a satin pillow case. so doing all this for caring for my hair why do i get so many knots and fairy knots? is there something else i can do to avoid tangles?
please help me. thank you in advance.

Johannah
July 27th, 2016, 03:56 AM
Just a question: do you use cones? If not, you could start using these and if you don't use them a lot, try to use products with a lot of cones in them.

Mimha
July 27th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Hi, i am new here and so happy to be part of this forum.

i have baby fine hair, mostly straight and have always had trouble with tangles. now let me tell you some about my hair care, i wash my hair once a week, normal baby poo or clarifying, oil daily with a mix of coconut, castor, EVOO, rosehip, and shea butter. condition with tresemme, alternate between tresemme condish, deep treatment and daily defense coconut condish. braid for sleep, either bun or braid for day, my hair is maybe half an inch from tailbone.

Now the problem, i tend to brush my hair twice a day, but my hair tangles so much no matter how i care for it. i get the thick tangles with a lot of fairy knots. i use a BBB on dry hair, and a wide tooth comb on wet hair. i hope someone can help me understand why my hair tangles so much. i very rarely wear my hair down/loose, only the evening i washed my hair. or on special occasions. the tangles go from the crown to ends, mostly at the nape of my hair. i do toss and turn a lot, use a satin pillow case. so doing all this for caring for my hair why do i get so many knots and fairy knots? is there something else i can do to avoid tangles?

Hi celtic. :)

First of all, welcome in the forum ! :flower:

Second is my personal experience : I also have F/M hair and I have almost given up the use of BB-brush (except very narrow ones, and just to evenly spread veeeeery little oil on my ends). BB-brushes do have keratin bristles that are interesting for brushing hair, BUT they have A LOT of them. It means that at every stroke there is a tremendous "rubbing surface" engaged, and a very high risk of "knot traffic-jam" too, due to so many bristles involved all together. In the long run, fine hair is at risk to be worn out much quicker than coarser hair, and much quicker than if you use a WTC (wide-tooth comb). It's definitely what I have experienced on my own hair. The scale surface of each strand of hair slowly looses its smooth sleek surface and gets more and more rough, and in the same time more and more tangly, which means also that more and more hair will knot and break at each stroke.

I personally recommend BB-brush mainly to spread sebum (that's what they are made for, actually), not on a daily basis but max. once a week, and very very gently on totally detangled hair.

Wishing you a lot of enjoyment with your hair and LHC ! :blossom:

vega
July 27th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Get rid of your brush and just use wide tooth comb less manipulation on your strands the better.When detangling Celtic only do this in shower with conditioner.hope this helps

Arctic
July 27th, 2016, 04:35 AM
On me super tangly hair is usually caused by build up or few other product or water related issues. Your first round of action should be a proper clariying shampooing (the whole lengths too), followed by a good, moisturizing conditioner. If you've never clariefied you might need several such shampooings to get everything accumulated out. Then assess the situation again.

lapushka
July 27th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Baby shampoo might not be ideal (different pH level, I think, not sure). I would use a regular sulfate shampoo for this purpose.

I barely ever get tangles, but I use conditioners for dry, damaged hair (those are the most moisturizing). They might weigh baby-fine hair down though. It is a fine line! You'll have to experiment a bit. My HGs are the HE Hello Hydration conditioner and the Garnier Ultra Doux (EU) / Whole Blends (US) honey and olive conditioners.

A BBB might not be ideal on baby fine hair. Just my experience with F hair and a BBB. To me it puts a lot of strain on individual hairs. Also, never use a brush to detangle. Use a WT comb first, then a brush. And start from the bottom up.

pailin
July 27th, 2016, 06:08 AM
One more thing to add, my hair likes a LOT of moisture. If it's not getting enough, it tangles more and is harder to detangle.

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Make sure you braid your hair before you go to sleep or use a sleep cap. I also agree with the cones comment. You can still use your oils, but throw some cones into the mix :)

celtic
July 28th, 2016, 05:05 AM
yes, i mostly use condish with cones.

celtic
July 28th, 2016, 05:15 AM
i do braid my hair for sleep and use a satin pillow case. i will try the only wide tooth comb idea, hurts alot and pulls out more hair but maybe will work with patience. also mostly use natural oils, maybe i should change to a more coney oil for day use? and i will try changing to a sulfate poo also, i use a clarifying poo often but maybe not often enough. it is hard to find the perfect poo, i have found the perfect condish, it is tresemme deep moisture condish. which has lots of cones. natural products work but my hair does not like them much. but i used to use a natural chile poo that worked great but store nearby does not sell it anymore, but there is a herbal store that might sell it. will try to follow advice given thank you all for the help.

lapushka
July 28th, 2016, 07:32 AM
i do braid my hair for sleep and use a satin pillow case. i will try the only wide tooth comb idea, hurts alot and pulls out more hair but maybe will work with patience. also mostly use natural oils, maybe i should change to a more coney oil for day use? and i will try changing to a sulfate poo also, i use a clarifying poo often but maybe not often enough. it is hard to find the perfect poo, i have found the perfect condish, it is tresemme deep moisture condish. which has lots of cones. natural products work but my hair does not like them much. but i used to use a natural chile poo that worked great but store nearby does not sell it anymore, but there is a herbal store that might sell it. will try to follow advice given thank you all for the help.

It shouldn't do that. Do you start from the bottom and work your way up?

Second of all, do what your hair wants. It's not about what you want for your hair, it's about what your hair wants! Try to give it what it wants & needs.