PDA

View Full Version : Places you don't expect the "Locks of Loathe" pressure

truepeacenik
October 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
My grocery store.
All Sunflower Markets in the Colorado region are having LOL in store today.
Donate hair or cash, says the flier.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/truepeacenik/lolatgrocery.jpg

aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!

embee
October 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Oh my. :(

Well, better there than some gradeschool, I think. At school the children are sometimes pressured/threatened by their peers *and* their teachers *and* other kid's moms. Disgusting, I think.

I'll keep an eye out for such an ad in our supermarkets, it's very possible. All the schools did LoL last year, and the local paper did writeups and pushed it a lot.

bunnii
October 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Time to invest in a scissor repellant helmet of some kind, or a wind powered forcefield hehe.

Um OMG they do it in schools?? that's pretty sick.

One thing I never understand about LOL is how come it's 'not fashionable' to have long hair yet if you need a wig it's often long? crazy world huh.

truepeacenik
October 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
what gets me is this is a store that sort of caters to the granola crowd.
I guess they know us hippies grow our hair.

Elainehali
October 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
They just built a sunflower market right by my house.

I'll prolly be keeping out of that store for a few weeks. xD

mmmmmmmmy hair...mine...haha

Magicknthenight
October 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
wow...locks of love at school. That would be extremely uncomfortable for me. Everyone would be bragging and such. I wear my hair up most of the time...but i would be sure to keep it up then and tell them some of the comebacks i have learned off here :)
luckily i don't think people know my length since i wear it up everyday
a grocery store is the last place i would expect that though O__O

AmandaPanda
October 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
"Locks of Loathe" - haven't heard that one :)

I just noticed something in a monthly family magazine today about going to a certain salon to donate at least 10" to LoL and get a free cut, and the stylists will be participating in it, too.

MadHatter
October 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Luckily, "Locks of Loathe" (I love that) hasn't come to my university. But let them, and let people put pressure on me to cut my hair. I have an arsenal of comebacks ready for such a situation :)
We're pretty militant here on LHC, lol. It's awesome.

CourtneyS
October 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Wow.. Id like to have those organic prices :D Organic stuff around here is hard to find and fairly expensive.

SHELIAANN1969
October 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Time to invest in a scissor repellant helmet of some kind, or a wind powered forcefield hehe.

I just about choked on my quesadilla! Hilarious!

what gets me is this is a store that sort of caters to the granola crowd.
I guess they know us hippies grow our hair.

I know what you mean, what a-holes, maybe you should inform them of what they really do and they won't host the event?

Wow.. Id like to have those organic prices :D Organic stuff around here is hard to find and fairly expensive.

I know what you mean, *regular* kiwis here are 2 for 1$

That's the only thing I miss about California, the Latino supermarkets had awesome produce prices! I ate better there than I have at any time in my life, wholesome and nutritional and cheap!

HairColoredHair
October 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I'd go down and ask if I can post the BBB's opinion of LoL. Probably wouldn't let me, though.

Shirlpunzel
October 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
This store will never get any business from me - I wouldn't want to risk walking in on the wrong day and having to deal with all that.

MadHatter
October 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, I have a question for you all:
Suppose you overhear someone saying that she's going to cut her hair for LoL. You want to educate her about what they're really about, but you feel like your input would not be received very well. Do you still speak up?
A girl in my botany class was talking about how she was going to cut her hair that day. Before I even asked, I knew she was cutting for LoL. When I did ask why she was cutting, sure enough, she said for LoL. I really wanted to tell her about how disreputable they are, but I didn't know if she'd even believe me. I felt like I probably would have looked kind of crazy... I mean, it's one thing to enlighten people who are pressuring you to cut your hair, but it's something else entirely when someone is talking about donating her own hair.
Maybe I should have suggested she donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths or Wigs for Kids. But I dunno. Opinions?
Sorry to sorta hijack the thread, lol.

Magicknthenight
October 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Suppose you overhear someone saying that she's going to cut her hair for LoL. You want to educate her about what they're really about, but you feel like your input would not be received very well. Do you still speak up?
A girl in my botany class was talking about how she was going to cut her hair that day. Before I even asked, I knew she was cutting for LoL. When I did ask why she was cutting, sure enough, she said for LoL. I really wanted to tell her about how disreputable they are, but I didn't know if she'd even believe me. I felt like I probably would have looked kind of crazy... I mean, it's one thing to enlighten people who are pressuring you to cut your hair, but it's something else entirely when someone is talking about donating her own hair.
Maybe I should have suggested she donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths or Wigs for Kids. But I dunno. Opinions?
good question!
I've have been wondering this a while!
I haven't said anything in the past...but maybe it depends on the person your telling?
Some would be thankful..and some probably wouldn't want random advice
waiting to hear different prospectives :)

truepeacenik
October 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM
"Locks of Loathe" - haven't heard that one :)

thanks, it was the result of a twisted tongue one night when I was on a tear...the first time I got the you should donate rap in public.

Nightshade
October 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM

I've done this a few times, and I always approach it as a "What about donating to Wigs for Kids or Beautiful Lengths?" That ways I never, ever come across as criticizing their donation, just the org. Hell, I even mentioned it to someone on Etsy who had mentioned cutting her hair for LoL, and after awhile she cut it anyway, but I know was grateful for the info and donated it to one of the other charities (I think it was Wigs for Kids).

Although it's not true, I always lead in with the, "Oh, I had considered doing that once, but then I learned about some of their questionable business practices, and found some other charities that I liked better."

This always prompts the question as to what the deal with LoL is (and if it doesn't you know not to waste your breath) and what other charaties there are.

If I get asked about my still long hair I just say that I decided to donate blood instead :)

Tapioca
October 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
If I get asked about my still long hair I just say that I decided to donate blood instead :)

My response is that they don't want hair that has been colored. Henna=color. (Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but it gets them off my back.)

Nightshade
October 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
My response is that they don't want hair that has been colored. Henna=color. (Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but it gets them off my back.)

I've used that one as well, but then I end up explaining all about henna :p

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I love it! Locks of Loathe.

I feel the need to make a T shirt for us long haired peeps:
I color, I have gray, I am sunbleached--I can't donate my hair, so leave me ALONE! :D

LeaM07
October 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
A grocery store? I guess there are some large chains (like Wal-Mart) that have hair salons, so maybe it's not that unusual, but I have this picture in my head of a typical neighborhood grocery store with a salon chair or two in the up-front seasonal section next to the deli and scissors snipping and hair flying. :scared:

wintersun99
October 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
My grocery store.
Donate hair or cash, says the flier.
aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!

It is just a flier, one tiny ad buried amongst many, it was hard to even find it amongst the others, no pressure... not a big deal.

ha ha, same here - that was the first thing I noticed!

This store will never get any business from me - I wouldn't want to risk walking in on the wrong day and having to deal with all that.

hmm, that's a bit harsh, no? It's just a tiny ad! It's not like there is a booth manned by people with scissors :rolleyes:

*as for unsolicited donation requests (of any kind) I always just say that I donate once a year, when I do my taxes, no exceptions. Easy

Hypnotica
October 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'm happy that we don't have LOL in Sweden (as far as I know). Don't think we have any hair donating charities actually.

GlassEyes
October 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
You know, I really wouldn't mind it so much if they were a better charity. Giving wigs to kids with alopecia is a great thing, but LOL isn't.

It's almost as laughable as it's anagram.

SHELIAANN1969
October 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
During the summer we went to the local park and LOL had a huge thing going on, it took all my strength to NOT go up there and beg/ plead/ people NOT to cut and give it to that so called charity.

I was rambling to BF thogh, he was like " I know honey, I know"

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I've done this a few times, and I always approach it as a "What about donating to Wigs for Kids or Beautiful Lengths?" That ways I never, ever come across as criticizing their donation, just the org. Hell, I even mentioned it to someone on Etsy who had mentioned cutting her hair for LoL, and after awhile she cut it anyway, but I know was grateful for the info and donated it to one of the other charities (I think it was Wigs for Kids).

Although it's not true, I always lead in with the, "Oh, I had considered doing that once, but then I learned about some of their questionable business practices, and found some other charities that I liked better."

This always prompts the question as to what the deal with LoL is (and if it doesn't you know not to waste your breath) and what other charaties there are.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I'll have to remember that. I'd much rather donate blood, too, as something like that can actually help save a life.

Nightshade
October 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
That sounds like a good way to do it. I'll have to remember that. I'd much rather donate blood, too, as something like that can actually help save a life.

E X A C T L Y

:flowers:

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Gee until now I thought LOL was a great thing to do. My daughter actually donated her hair a few years ago and is growing it again for donation now. It's currently middle of her back....sorry I don't know all the abbrvs yet. Last night we deep conditioned her hair and I talked to her about the LOL program and that she may want to think it over before she does it again. After all she is now old enough to make up her own mind anyway about what she does with her hair, plus I wouldn't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do with my hair. But what I'm saying is......I will not be pushing LOL any longer. To hear that it is in our schools scares the heck outta me! Our kids are already pushed to do sooooo much stuff. Since I live in Mississippi and we are considered one of if not the most over weight state the schools are really pushing the kids to avoid certian foods and are going as far as to take snacks away from kids at school if they deem them unhealthy! Gee ......... don't we have enough to worry about in the world already without harassing children at school about stuff? Thanks for the info about LOL and I would love to hear some of those comebacks....'cause I think I'm gonna need them soon. :)
Take care,
J

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info about LOL and I would love to hear some of those comebacks....'cause I think I'm gonna need them soon. :)
Take care,
J

To get you started:

"You should donate your hair. You don't need it!"
Response: "You should donate one of your kidneys. You don't need both of them!"

"It's selfish to keep all that hair! Donate it!"
Response: "It's selfish to keep trimming your hair when you can grow it! Grow your hair and donate it!"

As a response to probably any urging to cut your hair:
"I choose my charities. I choose how I give to those who are less fortunate. It's none of your business, so lay off you hair nazi."

Lady Godiva
October 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I might summon up the courage to stop by during the event. :pumpkin:

Replies that I like:

"How about you mind your charitable donations, and I'll mind mine." Say it with a wink. :wink:

"I've investigated that one, and it doesn't meet my standards for a worthy charity." See if they ask why.

"No thanks; I'd rather my donations go toward research for actual cures."

Just for reference, LoL and WfK are short one point each at the BBB:

The BBB Wise Giving Alliance requested but did not receive complete information on the organizationís finances and is unable to verify the organization's compliance with the following Standard for Charity Accountability: 13.

Locks of Love (LoL) meets the remaining 19 Standards for Charity Accountability.
http://charityreports.bbb.org/public/Report.aspx?CharityID=1839

Wigs for Kids (WFK) does not meet the following Standard for Charity Accountability.

Standard 8 : Program Service Expense Ratio - Spend at least 65% of its total expenses on program activities.

* WFK does not meet this Standard because according to the organization's reviewed financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2006, the organization spent $109,950 or 60% of its total expenses ($182,829) on program service activities.

Wigs for Kids (WFK) meets the remaining 19 Standards for Charity Accountability.
http://charityreports.bbb.org/public/Report.aspx?CharityID=755
It's not far off, though.

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe we should just make T-shirts that say
Anti Locks of Love and have a circle with scissors cutting someone's hair and a slash mark through it.

For the poster whose daughter donated her hair to LOL--Please!! Don't think we here think it's a bad charity---what I'm opposed to is people making me feeling guilty for keeping my long hair. For me, long hair is very easy for my life style, and I shouldn't feel pressured by strangers to cut it and donate it. I shouldn't have to explain that I can't donate it because it's colored, gray and sun bleached.

I think a good response is "why? Are people needing hair in the ER?" If they look at me like I'm crazy, then I'd say "I think donating blood is a much more needed thing at the moment.".

Of course, I can't donate blood because of the meds I take, but I would if I could.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I think a good response is "why? Are people needing hair in the ER?"

Hey, that's good! I'm definitely going to remember that one :D

GlassEyes
October 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I don't like that ER statement.

The fact of the matter is, alopecia is a horrible and terribly embarressing disease, especially for women in general. Total alopeica doesn't just affect the hair on the head, but the eyebrows and body hair in general. How many teenage girls do you know that would be mocked openly for being 'that bald chick' or 'that hairless freak' or 'naked mole rat'?

It might not be threatening, but it isn't all that funny. I don't like people hassling others as much as the next person, but LOL at the basis of what it's SUPPOSED to be is a good idea, they're just a fialure of a theiving scam operation.

Like they shouldn't force us to do what they want, you shouldn't judge others for wanting to help others, even if they sacrifice somethi we won't give up.

*rant* D<

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
This is one thing I haven't run into yet. My family, especially my mom and sister, are ALWAYS bugging me to cut my hair, but no one's told me I should donate it yet! I should start writing down some of these responses LOL

Amanda

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
You know what, I don't think anybody was judging. The comeback is a good one because those who harp on other people to donate their hair don't seem know what's really important, which is preserving life. Hair doesn't do that. I have yet to see anyone pressure another person into donating something that is important, like blood (not that I think that would be ok, mind you).
The ER comment doesn't insult those who have alopecia, and nobody is making light of the condition. Seriously.

"you shouldn't judge others for wanting to help others"

These comebacks are intended for people pressuring someone to cut their hair. Nobody has any right to tell someone to cut their hair because the instigator thinks it would be helpful to others, and I reserve the right to give hell to anyone who dares to try to guilt or manipulate me into doing anything.

Delila
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
... it doesn't meet my standards for a worthy charity." See if they ask why.

Thanks for this phrase, it's short enough to be useful.

The thing that bugs me most is that these LOL confrontations tend to be delivered by people who aren't at all interested in discussing the specifics, so anything I might say is just dismissed.

Something else that people don't care to think of: Hair that's actually suitable for wig making is probably just as scarce as it ever was before organizations like these sprang into being. It's got to be STRONG and healthy from one end to the other, and most of the population just doesn't grow hair with the qualities the wig makers need. It's a simple matter of genetics.

Also, people tend to gloss over the limitations on the percentage of gray strands deemed acceptable for donation.

GlassEyes
October 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
MadHatter, I believe I said that they also don't have the right to hasle others, just as we shouldn't hassle them for trying to help others. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have just full out ranted like that.

What Nighshade sai earlier s true, that there areother, more worthwhile charities, and you must nudge people in the direction of those, but I don't like the statement that blood statement. Yes, it is a great comeback for those hassling others, but as a statement it really makes my anger boil because it implies those who actually donate hair aren't doing a good deed. They are. It might not be life-saving, but it does save a lot of people a lot of grief.

Speedbump
October 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
For the poster whose daughter donated her hair to LOL--Please!! Don't think we here think it's a bad charity---

I must respectfully disagree here -- lots of us think it's a terrible charity, and with really good reason. :lol:

The president admitted to the New York Times that they sell almost all the hair that is usable, and they throw away even more that isn't usable. And we know it's because they don't tell hairdressers or donors their strict rules except on their Web site or over the phone -- YOU have to ask. They also don't tell people about their selling/tossing ways because "it just makes people feel good" to donate their hair, according to the president of the group. Of course, what she didn't explicitly say was that in this case, ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

They also absolutely let their advocates either lie their butts off about what they do or allow them to ignorantly preach false ideas about it, even on television cutathons, without ever correcting them. And finally, until very recently, they also consistently did not report their financial statements to the charity version of the BBB. (I am sure they filled out tax returns, or they would have been shut down already.)

So yes, it's a BAD charity, and yes, LOTS of people here think so. It is not a bad judgment on the people who give to it without realizing it is a bad charity to think/say so. Socially awkward, but not a judgment on them, except perhaps in one small way: They obviously didn't research before they gave. :shrug: