PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to increase thickness?

Idreamlong
July 26th, 2016, 05:47 AM
As title, my hair has lost a lot of its thickness due to stress and anxiety over the past 6 months. I’m scared I’m going to lose more too as the stress isn’t stopping any time soon.

Is there any way to gradually increase thickness overtime? Anyone been successful?

If you started off with a thin pony til circumference and managed to increase it, how did you manage it?

lapushka
July 26th, 2016, 05:52 AM
This is thickness you already had, so it can grow back. It's not as if your hair is its full potential (because then you can't make it magically thicker).

A good diet.
Take your multivitamins.
Patience.

I once lost a lot of thickness during puberty (fell out due to hormonal changes at the time). It took 2 years to fully grow back (to an over the shoulder length). It doesn't happen overnight if your hair shed massive amounts to where you're losing circumference.

eadwine
July 26th, 2016, 08:22 AM
And get the stress taken care of, get treatment if you aren't already.

Johannah
July 26th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Like lapushka and eadwine say, take care of yourself (mentally and physically) and your stress/anxiety and have patience. It will grow back, but you need to give it time and faith :)

WinnieCooper
July 26th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Vitamins worked for me! Do you take iodine? That cured my stress induced hair loss as well as taking B complex vitamins. I hope things turn out better for you soon. Life is long and anything can happen in the future.... Something good may very well be just around the bend!

HairPlease
July 26th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Definitely take care of yourself. Try some scalp massages, they not only relax you but stimulate blood flow to the scalp which promotes healthy hair follicles. Not much science to back it up yet, there is some though, but one way or another, they feel amazing and relieve lots of stress in only a few minutes.

Stay nourished - eat a balanced diet, with plenty of vitamins. Minimize caffeine (I know, it's good for hair growth and all that but it doesn't help with stress at all) if you can, and minimize sugar. That will help get rid of some of the tension too. It works for me and my family, at least. :flower:

yogagirl
July 26th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Agreed, taking care of your body and soul is the ticket.

Is your scalp healthy? If it is itchy for some reason, that will also cause increased shedding. I have also read here that some use H&S shampoo even though they do not have dandruff, because it decreases shedding for them. I assume this is because they have a minor scalp issue even though it does not manifest itself in dandruff. Potentially worth a try.

Whatever you do, unfortunately it will take some time to notice a difference in circumference, so try to be patient :flower:

missrandie
July 26th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Body first, and the hair will come.

Look at different stress coping mechanisms, from meditation and exercise to scalp massages and proper nutrition.

Is there any way to control your anxiety? Every little bit you can do will help.

lapushka
July 26th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Definitely take care of yourself. Try some scalp massages, they not only relax you but stimulate blood flow to the scalp which promotes healthy hair follicles. Not much science to back it up yet, there is some though, but one way or another, they feel amazing and relieve lots of stress in only a few minutes.

Stay nourished - eat a balanced diet, with plenty of vitamins. Minimize caffeine (I know, it's good for hair growth and all that but it doesn't help with stress at all) if you can, and minimize sugar. That will help get rid of some of the tension too. It works for me and my family, at least. :flower:

I drink tons of caffeine, and it doesn't mess with my hair. It's a YMMV thing. :)

eadwine
July 26th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I used to drink a lot of cola, no difference here either. Stress is a bigger factor, at least for me it can be.

Anje
July 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Well, stress hasn't exactly gone down for me (though I try to enjoy aspects of my life that aren't grad school), but my thickness has very very slowly increased. I don't exactly know why. I've done protective styling for years, which has helped the length but doesn't explain the roots. My nutrition is adequate but not fantastic, and I don't use supplements. I enjoy coffee immensely, though I have cut out soda for the most part. What I have done is learned to be careful with my hair, handle it gently, and all that. And I pay attention to how much I tend to shed during the shower. I've messed with how I was quite a lot through the years, and I think I'm shedding less in the shower these days than with many methods.

My ponytail circumference has very slowly gone from 2.25 inches to 3 inches, over 9 years on LHC. I don't know why. Maybe visiting LHC increases thickness.