PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Denat

xcrunr2go
July 24th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I recently discovered the Aveda Dry Remedy S & C has Alcohol Denat in them. I noticed my hair slightly drier after using them, which confused me since they advertise "moisture". It's near the bottom of the ingredients but still, I think I'll ditch these. Any thoughts?

HairPlease
July 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Lots of alcohols are drying for hair and alcohol denat is one of them. It's not necessarily good for your hair, especially if you notice the drying effects. Go ahead and ditch those products! :)

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 08:33 AM
At least use them up. I mean that's what I would do. It's not going to damage your hair at all, and you can interchange them with good products. I have yet to find a regular drugstore S/C that has alcohol in them. Not even in the Aldi/Lidl own brand ones is it in there.

LadyAdelina
July 24th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I tend to use the products I buy, even if I don't like them, but I always have two or three different shampoos and conditioners I'm switching between. However, if you don't like it and don't want to use it, no harm in that. I'd recommend taking a picture of full ingredient list (or writing it down) so if you have the same problem in the future, you can compare ingredients and see if it was the alcohol, or something else your hair doesn't like.

Llama
July 24th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Why use something that makes you unhappy? Toss that stuff in the garbage!

calmyogi
July 24th, 2016, 11:14 AM

That's how I feel lol. I get the not being wasteful and not throwing full bottles in the garbage, but I feel like another way to look at it is that it's all going to end up in the ground anyways. Whether you throw it all at once in the garbage or you wash it little by little down the drain.

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I hate having the feeling that I've wasted my money, so if it were up to me, I'd continue to use the products. Interchanged with other, good (and preferably researched) products. I have a favorite leave-in (got2b) that has a drying alcohol in it, and I still like it. I didn't know that it had a drying alcohol in it at first, liked it, then I found out. I *still* like it. Whether or not there is a drying alcohol in it is not going to make me change my mind about a product.

I have a fair number of conditioners that I can barely use as a first C because they aren't moisturizing much, and I know they will give me tangles. I still use them up. I'm a little more careful with the comb when detangling and, hey, it's not the end of the world. :shrug:

HairPlease
July 24th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah, lapushka, I totally understand your viewpoint! I'm different. I refuse to use something that makes my hair miserable, lol. But that's just me. I don't buy many products so $7 down the chute doesn't cross my eyes since I don't often throw stuff away. :p

Johannah
July 24th, 2016, 12:32 PM
If something doesn't work, I try to find someone who likes the product and give it to them. This way I don't need to use it myself if it doesn't work, but the money isn't really wasted either.

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I got a few moisturizing shampoos by mistake back when I was still experimenting with products, but my mom has really dry hair (can go a month without washing), and so she "adopted" those gladly. I got 2 bottles (they were both Garnier Ultra Doux). My mom never buys shampoo anymore, not for her and not for my dad. She knows I have stuff around. And I have a few Gliss Kur shampoos that she can use as well. And my dad has the same hairtype as me, so he can have one of my shampoos, no problem.

Nadine <3
July 24th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I second trying to find someone who will use it. I won't use a product that is drying my hair out because then my hair is a difficult beast to deal with. I'm lucky though, I live with 2 other ladies who will literally use anything I throw at them.

KittyBird
July 24th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Well, shampoo can be used as a body wash, and conditioner can be used instead of shaving cream/gel when shaving your legs. Just a suggestion, if you don't want to just throw the stuff away ;)

littlestarface
July 24th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Don't use anything that your hair don't like. Just either toss them or set them aside and leave them their for years to come, that's what I do cuz I think "well maybe i'll try it later" then I forget about it til like 4 years later when I see my closet literally spilling over with products. I just threw away the body shops banana conditioner cuz that stuff was wack and aint no way in hell am I ever gonna use that garbage, so it's right where it belongs.

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Maybe put the items up on the swap board? Instead of just throwing them out. I'm sure nobody would mind broken in products.

H o n є y ❤
July 24th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I usually just eventually throw the stuff away if it's $10 or less.

LongCurlyTress
July 24th, 2016, 05:20 PM
I would try to return the item to the store with the receipt. Maybe they will refund your money or even a store credit. Or call Aveda customer service... phone number might be found online or even on the bottle. That is a high end brand (for me anyways) and they should stand behind their product if you are not happy. Good luck... but don't keep using it if it is damaging your hair. I wouldn't keep using it anyways. :)

PixieP
July 24th, 2016, 06:04 PM
If it's near the bottom of the ingredients list, then it's a preservative and it will be very little of it.

Stepo_NiNha
July 25th, 2016, 01:38 AM
I give the hair products that fail on my hair to the lady that cleans my house :)

lapushka
July 25th, 2016, 04:30 AM
If it's near the bottom of the ingredients list, then it's a preservative and it will be very little of it.

Weleda is notorious for adding pure alcohol as a preservative in their hair care. I once had a shampoo that because of that made my scalp burn (I can't stand alcohols on my skin, like deo with alcohol etc.).

PixieP
July 25th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Weleda is notorious for adding pure alcohol as a preservative in their hair care. I once had a shampoo that because of that made my scalp burn (I can't stand alcohols on my skin, like deo with alcohol etc.).

Duely noted, I will avoid Veleda! My psoriasis is not very fond of alcohol as preservative either. I can use hairspray and dry shampoo with it without my scalp screaming, but the skin on the rest of my body will get dry and itchy if I have other hair products or skin products with it.

lapushka
July 25th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Yes, alcohol - 5th ingredient (this is the Weleda oatmeal shampoo):
https://www.solobiomooi.nl/media/upload/review_en_ervaringen_weleda_haver_shampoo.jpg

PixieP
July 25th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Yikes! :eek:

xcrunr2go
July 27th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Thanks! I think I'll end up giving it away. The old formula S & C worked way better & didn't have alcohol denat in them! Why must they change the formulas?