PDA

View Full Version : Climate change and hair help

Eas693
July 23rd, 2016, 05:30 PM
So I recently moved from beautiful Humboldt county California. Which is next to the ocean and rarely ever goes beyond 75 degrees. It rains a lot, and is pretty humid. I now live in Riverside county California which is 108 to 110 degrees daily and is so dry it feels like I am living in a blow dryer. My hair is hating this!

It's so dry all the time. I cannot CO because it just doesn't agree with my hair. Right now I'm using Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo and conditioner as well as mane n tail. I switch between the two and wash about every 4 days.

I have been oiling my hair with a mixture of coconut oil, castor oil, and a few essential oils like tea tree, peppermint, and ginger. I do this about once a week.

I'm still drying out, well my hair is. I use the OCM on my face and that's been just fine. Any advice? I'm trying to grow out my hair and it's definitely not doing its best since the move.

littlestarface
July 23rd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Man that's crazy, you lived in a beautiful spot and you moved to hell looool I feel you tho I was born in this hell; it's so bloody hot all the time in my part of cali.

Only thing I can say is moisturize moisturize!

Llama
July 23rd, 2016, 05:41 PM
tea tree EO I know would be really drying on the length, I think people use that on the scalp if I'm not mistaken. Don't think it would be a good idea to put it on the length.

Eas693
July 23rd, 2016, 06:01 PM
I should have been more specific the EO are for my scalp and the length and tips just get the oil mix

Eas693
July 23rd, 2016, 06:02 PM
I did it for love and my PhD lol

ladonna
July 23rd, 2016, 06:45 PM
I would use a sealing oil like mineral oil and avoid humectants since that suck moisture out of your hair if the air is dry. I was in Fresno for an week and my hair and skin were not happy lol. The LOC method might really be helpful also.

littlestarface
July 23rd, 2016, 06:48 PM
I would use a sealing oil like mineral oil and avoid humectants since that suck moisture out of your hair if the air is dry. I was in Fresno for an week and my hair and skin were not happy lol. The LOC method might really be helpful also.

Yea it's dry here i'm just south of fresno; so for humectants to work you have to literally make your bathroom steam up, that always works for my hair.

ladonna
July 23rd, 2016, 06:58 PM
Yea it's dry here i'm just south of fresno; so for humectants to work you have to literally make your bathroom steam up, that always works for my hair.

Or a warm steamy towel could work. You reminded me that I do that sometimes, but during winter when the air is very dry where I live. What about a regular humidifier?

Nadine <3
July 23rd, 2016, 07:03 PM
You might want to skip the mane and tail. It's full of protein and can make your hair feel dry and brittle if you use it to much/hair doesn't like protein.