PDA

View Full Version : Need New Hairstyles for Curly Hair

XiaoBaiTu
July 23rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Hey everyone!

I have always worn my hair up regularly, and since finding this forum have switched from a ponytail to the lazy wrap bun for everyday. I wear my hair down and curly around once every one or two weeks, if I'm in the mood for it. My problem: I'm a bit of a girly girl who enjoys learning and trying new things, and I'm getting bored. I really need some new hairstyles to try. Help?

Just one restriction: I'm good at braiding, but owing to my tight curls, braids are too damaging to be used on a regular basis. I will either have to brush it first to put it in the braid (causes lots of breakage, frizz, and actually creates tangles) or put it in a braid curly, which makes un-braiding it a tangly nightmare.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts! :smile:

lapushka
July 23rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
Maybe try different buns. Like the nautilus, or a disc bun or a cinnamon bun. Also vary the positions on your head (low, top, bottom).

CurlyCap
July 23rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
Two strand twists are great for breaking up the hair into usable sections, like braids are for straighter her. And far less mechanical damage.

I usually stick with variations of a lazy wrap bun, but my girly days are mixes of faux bangs made up of layered two strand twists pinned to ride low over my eyebrow or accent twists.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Pinterest is a good resource for nice hairstyles for naturals! Also for 3b/c types like us, because I often see gorgeous protective styles online but I know my hair won't hold in the way that type 4's would in that style and my hair would frizz out pretty quickly. Pinterest is a great place to look for curly styles because people have posted styles for every curly/coily/kinky type!

enting
November 29th, 2017, 03:46 AM
A curly version of the Gibson Tuck? Experimenting with double or more buns? Playing with accessories/hairtoys?

I second learning more buns to feed those creative juices. Somewhere around here there's a thread on a new hairstyle a week challenge with no specific hairstyles required (so no need to braid and damage your hair) that could help you overcome boredom. I haven't joined, but I'm casually trying to learn more styles. I have a few pages open on my computer with different lists of styles to look up and maybe try.

Here's one http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/blog.php?b=93820
The Hairstyle of the Month forum acts as another list. I'm sure there are even more inventoried lists of hairstyles by name. What I do is I pick one that sounds interesting and see how to do it and if I and my hair like it.