PDA

View Full Version : Hair care for HOT,HOT and humid weather

miss_donya
July 23rd, 2016, 07:07 AM
Hello, forgive me if there's already a thread on this; Google engine wouldn't let me search and there was a bizarre message saying that the site is blocked and is against my country's laws.. What? :bull:

anyways, the weather here is unbearable the temperatures reach Above 40 degrees Celsius. Fortunately, there is air conditioner everywhere so we don't have to suffer when we are indoors ( which I've read somewhere that it can be drying?). It is also very humid especially in the evenings, during the day the day it can be windy; which is just HOT air blowing on my face :mad:
ehm, back to hair care, aside from wearing my hair up and possibly covering it when I'm out, what other measures can I take to combat the heat? :luke:
Winter here is also quite windy...

HairPlease
July 23rd, 2016, 07:16 AM
For humid, I use products like spray-on oil treatments and the like. I'm partial to Ion Smooth products, they work well on my hair type. Caution though, they may give your hair extra slip and make it harder to put up. YMMV.

Hot weather is fine for me until it gets even a tad more humid than average. If you're not very self-conscious and or not wearing it to work, you can wet a hat with ice water and put that on your head to keep hair protected from UV and keep your head cool. That's what I do. Once again, YMMV. lol

The biggest concern of mine in heat is sweat+hair=BAD. I just run to the shower after a good sweat and condition, condition, condition.

Well, that's my two cents, I hope it helps and that more knowledgeable hair experts will chime in. I need advice.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2016, 07:23 AM
Maybe try smoothing the ends with a few drops of oil every couple of days. I don't know how often you wash.

I usually wash weekly, but I throw so much moisture at it (WCC + LOC + (ROO)) --> everything in signature) that I usually don't need to add more onto it during the week. It does dry slower because of all the moisture, but it's worth it not to have to be bothered by it for an entire week!

Johannah
July 23rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Another vote for oils. I'd definitely use anti-humectants like oils/serums.

pailin
July 23rd, 2016, 07:57 AM
It gets above 40 here just during one month of the year. But hot weather is fine for my hair, much better than cold. I do wash daily here, partly because I sweat so much.
I don't think everyone's hair reacts the same to heat and humidity. What specific issues do you need to adress with the heat? Is your hair dry? Frizzy? Limp?

lithostoic
July 23rd, 2016, 08:19 AM
I don't do anything special. We've been having similar weather so far this Summer and I don't find I have to do anything different. Of course this is not too far off from the weather the rest of the year so maybe my hair is just used to it. Coldest it ever gets here is -1c and that's only ever for a couple hours during the morning on the coldest day of the year. Humidity stays between 60% and 100% always.

Anje
July 23rd, 2016, 08:40 AM
Multiple french/Dutch braids, like 2 or more, so you have parts along your scalp, seem to make things a lot cooler. I've routinely styled my friends with 4-6 of them for camping trips or hot weather. Other than that, just do what you need to do to stay comfortable. It's hot here too, but not as hot: 31C so far this morning, highs today will be more like 34C, and I'm gonna be outside tailgating in the worst of it. XD (Being a soccer supporter in the US is a little bit nuts sometimes.)

The website blocking might be a virus or trojan in your computer, so run some scans. Not sure what country you're in, so I can't comment there.

pailin
July 23rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
The standard website search function uses Google, so if that's blocked in your country it won't work. BUT, I believe if you choose the 'advanced search' instead, that actually uses the website's own search, so I would think it should work even if Google is blocked.

Deborah
July 23rd, 2016, 11:40 AM
You probably already know this, but buns are best. Up, out of the way and especially off of the neck. Nothing is better in the heat!

Hairkay
July 23rd, 2016, 02:53 PM
I just have more showers and rinse my hair then put a little coconut oil on it. I keep hair plaited/braided and kept up off my neck and shoulders.

Nadine <3
July 23rd, 2016, 07:19 PM
I wrap a wet bandanna around my head. I find that keeps me cool, and if my hair is a disaster from the humidity (likely lol) the bun/braids and the bandanna hides it all.

Spinder
July 23rd, 2016, 07:23 PM
Does anyone else find their head tends to sweat like crazy? I don't know what to do, I have to wash my hair way more than I want to because sweat makes it so ugly and nasty. Can anyone offer any wisdom for dealing with this? :(

pailin
July 23rd, 2016, 11:18 PM
Does anyone else find their head tends to sweat like crazy? I don't know what to do, I have to wash my hair way more than I want to because sweat makes it so ugly and nasty. Can anyone offer any wisdom for dealing with this? :(

Mine sweats a lot too, and with my blonette hair, it turns my roots a couple shades darker, and makes it really look dirty. But I have no wisdom; I just keep washing mine.

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:34 AM
For humid, I use products like spray-on oil treatments and the like. I'm partial to Ion Smooth products, they work well on my hair type. Caution though, they may give your hair extra slip and make it harder to put up. YMMV.

Hot weather is fine for me until it gets even a tad more humid than average. If you're not very self-conscious and or not wearing it to work, you can wet a hat with ice water and put that on your head to keep hair protected from UV and keep your head cool. That's what I do. Once again, YMMV. lol

The biggest concern of mine in heat is sweat+hair=BAD. I just run to the shower after a good sweat and condition, condition, condition.

Well, that's my two cents, I hope it helps and that more knowledgeable hair experts will chime in. I need advice.

Oh thank you for letting me know about the sweat situation; I was always wondering weather sweat had negative effects on hair. My previous hypothesis was that sweat meant my scalp was producing more oils = good

Maybe try smoothing the ends with a few drops of oil every couple of days. I don't know how often you wash.

I usually wash weekly, but I throw so much moisture at it (WCC + LOC + (ROO)) --> everything in signature) that I usually don't need to add more onto it during the week. It does dry slower because of all the moisture, but it's worth it not to have to be bothered by it for an entire week!
Yes, I do add oils, still experimenting since they get crunchy if I use it on dry hair... I still do it though for the detangeling effect :whistle:
Will be getting Camiela oil soon ( did I spell it right?)
Currently I'm experimenting with the cowash method and trying to limit shampooing to once a week or less, we'll see how it goes. I figured my hair needs more moisture , I'm also planning on trying out some of your methods, which I kinda apply sometimes (loc)

It gets above 40 here just during one month of the year. But hot weather is fine for my hair, much better than cold. I do wash daily here, partly because I sweat so much.
I don't think everyone's hair reacts the same to heat and humidity. What specific issues do you need to adress with the heat? Is your hair dry? Frizzy? Limp?
Well, I would have nice soft hair until I go outside it somehow becomes fuzzy? And tangles; the hairs kinda stick to each other , the best way to combat that is by buns. It also frizzes on the top of my head but not too much , it the feel and tenure that bug me.

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Nadine that's a great idea! But I'm not sure about it being practical since ,I'm going to college everyday like that; I will be in and out of air conditionined rooms. I'm not sure whether that has an influence on hair too...

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Mine sweats a lot too, and with my blonette hair, it turns my roots a couple shades darker, and makes it really look dirty. But I have no wisdom; I just keep washing mine.

What about cowashing, and maybe some diy dry shampoo? Which reminds me I should probably make a batch before I have to go back to school :(

embee
July 24th, 2016, 06:41 AM
A scalp rinse can be a good thing. Make a topknot-bun and cover the bun with plastic. This avoids so much washing/drying and it is cooling as well.

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Another vote for oils. I'd definitely use anti-humectants like oils/serums.

I just have more showers and rinse my hair then put a little coconut oil on it. I keep hair plaited/braided and kept up off my neck and shoulders.
I like oils as leave ins but i don't think it would be a great idea to oil my hair prior to going out in the heat

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Multiple french/Dutch braids, like 2 or more, so you have parts along your scalp, seem to make things a lot cooler. I've routinely styled my friends with 4-6 of them for camping trips or hot weather. Other than that, just do what you need to do to stay comfortable. It's hot here too, but not as hot: 31C so far this morning, highs today will be more like 34C, and I'm gonna be outside tailgating in the worst of it. XD (Being a soccer supporter in the US is a little bit nuts sometimes.)

The website blocking might be a virus or trojan in your computer, so run some scans. Not sure what country you're in, so I can't comment there.
The website lets me search other things so I don't know, I'm also using a tablet.
Thanks for the braids idea, I think a good braided bun would be suitable :p could you give me some hairstyle names so I can search how to do them ,please?

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Hmmm interesting, never thought about it. I like to wash all of my hair because my ends get crunchy, but that's a great idea for days where that doesn't apply

pailin
July 24th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Maybe oils, as already stated, or a silicone serum? They're useful for taming frizz.
If cowashing works well for you, that might really help (my scalp doesn't tolerate it- itchy).

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I ended up shampooing today as my hair felt very tangly after I over did catnip. I'm still experimenting ; I'm still new to LHC hair care routines

Goatcraft
July 24th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Where I live it's extremely humid. It feels like your hitting a wall of heat when you step outside.

I don't even bother with my hair. I toss it in a bun and move along. As soon as I walk outside it turns into a giant frizzy mess and no oil or humidity fighting product has been effective.

miss_donya
July 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Where I live it's extremely humid. It feels like your hitting a wall of heat when you step outside.

I don't even bother with my hair. I toss it in a bun and move along. As soon as I walk outside it turns into a giant frizzy mess and no oil or humidity fighting product has been effective.
:-( that makes me sad. Sometimes I want my hair to look good , in case i suddenly feel the need to get attention ;p
Does hot weather contribute to dry hair?