PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy seamless combs?

hannabiss
July 21st, 2016, 08:48 PM
The title says it all really. I'm sorry if there's a thread about such a matter already. But my hair is riddled with split ends and my s/d sessions aren't "cutting" it...hair humor. :)

EdG
July 21st, 2016, 08:58 PM
The Body Shop wooden comb (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/shop-accessories/detangling-comb.aspx) is quite popular.
Ed

cailinbee
July 21st, 2016, 09:39 PM
I just bought a Cricket conditioning comb and so far I LOVE it! http://www.cricketco.com/brushes-combs/combs.html

Frankenstein
July 21st, 2016, 10:07 PM
I have an Eternally in Amber seamless comb and I highly recommend it.

hannabiss
July 21st, 2016, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll look them up. Can you use a wooden comb for wet hair? I'vd heard yes and no.

Zebra Fish
July 22nd, 2016, 01:58 AM
Seconding Eternally in Amber (although I got it while it was still on etsy). Before that I was using a hand made localy bought horn comb (but I broke it -.-).

Decoy24601
July 22nd, 2016, 02:26 AM
Thirding the EternallyInAmber. I just bought a couple of their combs. I haven't tried them yet, but I do already have a horn comb that ended up having too much "grab" on my hair even though it was seamless. Very smoothly polished wood would also probably be nice (the ones from JoyoComb on etsy look nice).

lapushka
July 22nd, 2016, 03:43 AM
I have a volume bone comb by Hairsense (item 210)
http://hairsense.com/bone-combs/

It's the closest to a true "Madora" comb that you can get. It detangles with ease, and is rigid enough not to give with the tangles, and in a comb that to me is important. My EIA comb gives with the tangles, I can only dry-detangle with it.

Johannah
July 22nd, 2016, 03:59 AM
The Body Shop wooden comb (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/shop-accessories/detangling-comb.aspx) is quite popular.
Ed

I have an Eternally in Amber seamless comb and I highly recommend it.

I love both of these (especially the EIA)

meteor
July 22nd, 2016, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll look them up. Can you use a wooden comb for wet hair? I'vd heard yes and no.

Unfortunately, it's not recommended to use wooden combs on wet hair (though damp is usually fine, if you wipe it dry after), if you want the wood to last a long time and not get warped.
For in-shower detangling, hard rubber, bakelite, acrylic, etc etc can be good options... For wet detangling, I'd look into Hercules Sagemann, Madora, Hairsense, EternallyInAmber, etc.

Nique1202
July 22nd, 2016, 08:00 AM

As long as it doesn't get soaked in water, using a wooden comb on towel-dried hair (even if it still has a few drips left in it) is not likely to damage it. I've used mine on wet hair for the entire time I've owned it (four years) and my Body Shop comb is still going.

It is a good idea to keep a wooden comb lightly oiled, though. You don't want to soak it in oil any more than you would in water, but if you use oil on your hair (or you can get a little travel bottle of baby oil for this purpose, it'll last years) just take an extra drop or two, spread it on your palms, and run them over the comb once or twice a month. Too much will swell the wood, but lightly oiling the outside helps it to repel small amounts of water if you do use it for wet hair or splash it and don't dry it off quickly.

meteor
July 22nd, 2016, 08:39 AM
My Body Shop comb warped rather quickly from wet detangling :( , however, it is still usable, just the spine of the comb is not 100% straight, but rather in a very gentle C-smile.

I wonder if it's possible that some Body Shop combs are simply better made than others. :hmm: For example, I've seen some reports of splinters on TBS combs (e.g. more recently here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138973), but I've never experienced it myself, thankfully. Also, I've heard TBS wooden brushes have changed in quality over the years quite a bit (e.g. added ball-tips).

ETA: Also, hannabiss, I completely forgot to add a link to JJJ/LadyLongLock's album of combs and brushes that I wanted to share: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/Boar%20Bristle%20Brushes%20and%20Wide%20Tooth%20Co mbs
She shows some useful details on tine length, density, length and thickness of combs, etc there, which I think can be pretty helpful for shopping for combs. ;)

hannabiss
July 23rd, 2016, 08:50 PM
meteor thank you for the link!

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Mason Pearson or Cricket. You can get Mason Pearson on Amazon, I believe as well as Cricket. I have the MP and LOVE. My second choice was Cricket

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24086&d=1469628343

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24087&d=1469628343

Sunshine&Opals
July 27th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I recently bought a Body Shop wooden comb. They were reduced to £1 , (I'm in the UK) and the sales assistant told me that they were being discontinued.

Anje
July 27th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I've got an Eternally In Amber comb and I really like it, especially since my wood Body Shop combs have gotten a little snaggy from being used in wet hair a lot. The tines aren't just cut out, but they're polished in that rounded state, almost like they're melted when they're cut.

If you want to go cheap and available, though, a lot of those translucent shower combs (Conair is the brand I usually see) with the hook have ultra-smooth seams.

hobbitlocks
July 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I've got an Eternally In Amber comb and I really like it, especially since my wood Body Shop combs have gotten a little snaggy from being used in wet hair a lot. The tines aren't just cut out, but they're polished in that rounded state, almost like they're melted when they're cut.

I second the Eternally in Amber suggestion (there's also a whole thread on them if you want to check it out). They have coupons and sales pretty frequently, so if you want to try one I would sign up for their email list.

meteor
July 27th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I recently bought a Body Shop wooden comb. They were reduced to £1 , (I'm in the UK) and the sales assistant told me that they were being discontinued.

Oh no. :wail: I hope they don't discontinue them. They seem to be the only seamless wooden WT combs that can be found locally without ordering online.
(That said, £1 is an amazing price. I'd stock up if I were there. :) )

miss_donya
July 28th, 2016, 06:26 AM
My Body Shop comb warped rather quickly from wet detangling :( , however, it is still usable, just the spine of the comb is not 100% straight, but rather in a very gentle C-smile.

I wonder if it's possible that some Body Shop combs are simply better made than others. :hmm: For example, I've seen some reports of splinters on TBS combs (e.g. more recently here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138973), but I've never experienced it myself, thankfully. Also, I've heard TBS wooden brushes have changed in quality over the years quite a bit (e.g. added ball-tips).

ETA: Also, hannabiss, I completely forgot to add a link to JJJ/LadyLongLock's album of combs and brushes that I wanted to share: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/Boar%20Bristle%20Brushes%20and%20Wide%20Tooth%20Co mbs
She shows some useful details on tine length, density, length and thickness of combs, etc there, which I think can be pretty helpful for shopping for combs. ;)
Intersting , mine has a slight bend to it too. It had a bend in it since I bought it, in addition to splinters. I stopped using it right now because I've found tiny splits that show the hair being "sctrached"

miss_donya
July 28th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Mason Pearson or Cricket. You can get Mason Pearson on Amazon, I believe as well as Cricket. I have the MP and LOVE. My second choice was Cricket

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24086&d=1469628343

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24087&d=1469628343
I'm all for spending on hair, but is a pricey comb actually considered better? I don't mean to be rude, I'm still new and I'd like to learn if there are any special qualities to the MP comb that justify the price ?

missmelaniem
July 28th, 2016, 07:19 AM
I'm all for spending on hair, but is a pricey comb actually considered better? I don't mean to be rude, I'm still new and I'd like to learn if there are any special qualities to the MP comb that justify the price ?

Well, I dont know what would justify it for you, but Ive used plenty of combs in my years and its hands down the best Ive ever used. I was thinking about buying another to have one specifically for my shower, because I usually forget to bring the darn thing with me when I take one!

I tried the body shop comb mentioned in this thread and loathed it, just because it took literally half an hour to comb through my hair, which surely cant be good for it ... Mason Pearson glides through... same hair, same products used plus its 100% seamless.

Its just another option out of the slew out there. Happy comb shopping!

miss_donya
July 28th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Well, I dont know what would justify it for you, but Ive used plenty of combs in my years and its hands down the best Ive ever used. I was thinking about buying another to have one specifically for my shower, because I usually forget to bring the darn thing with me when I take one!

I tried the body shop comb mentioned in this thread and loathed it, just because it took literally half an hour to comb through my hair, which surely cant be good for it ... Mason Pearson glides through... same hair, same products used plus its 100% seamless.

Its just another option out of the slew out there. Happy comb shopping!
It's on my radar now! Have you tried eternally in Amber? It's between these two now

HeartofHaleth
July 28th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I have a volume bone comb by Hairsense (item 210)
http://hairsense.com/bone-combs/

It's the closest to a true "Madora" comb that you can get. It detangles with ease, and is rigid enough not to give with the tangles, and in a comb that to me is important. My EIA comb gives with the tangles, I can only dry-detangle with it.

Just wanted to say that I've been wanting to try a good comb for a while now (I tried to shave shave some of the seams off of my old, cheap plastic comb, but it didn't work very well), and so I was pretty interested to see what people said in this thread. I went ahead and bought the Hairsense comb, and it just arrived today. I've just come back from a trip, so my hair isn't in the best shape, and I've been doing a bit of detangling...so far it works like a dream! Thanks, lapushka, and I second your suggestion! :D :thumbsup: Okay, threadjack over! Sorry everyone!

EdG
July 28th, 2016, 07:42 PM

I wonder if it's possible that some Body Shop combs are simply better made than others. :hmm: My Body Shop comb has a slight curve, likely due to damp detangling and cleaning.

It is hard to get consistency with wood. I have owned three Body Shop wooden combs, and they all vary in quality.
Ed

missmelaniem
July 28th, 2016, 08:00 PM
It's on my radar now! Have you tried eternally in Amber? It's between these two now

I havent. Maybe theres another MP aficionado that has. :)

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 03:34 AM
I'm going to ask the obvious but I just want to be sure - what combs do you all suggest as the least likely to break? At this point I don't subject them to that much stress during combing anymore, but it's hard to break old habits of worrying my hair will kill things by dint of its intensity. I also travel a lot, so it has to survive being packed into a backpack and onto airplanes, trains, and buses with me. I realize the more expensive combs are probably most likely to survive, but figured I'd ask.

Anje
August 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
I'm going to ask the obvious but I just want to be sure - what combs do you all suggest as the least likely to break? At this point I don't subject them to that much stress during combing anymore, but it's hard to break old habits of worrying my hair will kill things by dint of its intensity. I also travel a lot, so it has to survive being packed into a backpack and onto airplanes, trains, and buses with me. I realize the more expensive combs are probably most likely to survive, but figured I'd ask.

If you're breaking a comb when combing, you're doing it wrong. Don't force the thing through tangles, because if the comb doesn't break, your hair will. Plus it tends to put bends in the hair that like to form new tangles easily. (Seems like I'm always fighting those as it is!) I'd stick it in a book or something if I were worried about breaking it in a bag.

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM
If you're breaking a comb when combing, you're doing it wrong. Don't force the thing through tangles, because if the comb doesn't break, your hair will. Plus it tends to put bends in the hair that like to form new tangles easily. (Seems like I'm always fighting those as it is!) I'd stick it in a book or something if I were worried about breaking it in a bag.

I'm aware now that the reason I broke them was misuse, but the anxiety persists, especially since I've also broken many MANY hairclips just trying to keep my hair contained as well. I am very picky about the quality of things I buy especially as the price increases, so finding out what combs seem most durable to people with experience is just something that will make me feel better about acquiring a nice seamless comb.

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
EdG, thanks a lot! :D That's great to know! :)

Tassledown, I agree with Anje on the importance on super-gentle detangling and not forcing through tangles. :)
If durability is critical, I'd research Hercules Sagemann (Magic Star Jumbo Rake) or maybe even look into smooth metal wide-tooth rakes.

Ana H.
August 1st, 2016, 01:27 PM
I have this cricket comb (https://www.amazon.com/Cricket-Ultra-Smooth-Detangler-infused/dp/B01JBYQHGG/ref=pd_sim_194_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31jxRBDOWQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=C74SCVG74XTWN81QKHFK). I really like it and it’s very affordable on Amazon. It’s not exactly seamless but it’s incredibly smooth. The seams aren’t at all obvious and they aren’t jagged, sharp or bumpy like other cheap wide tooth combs I’ve had in the past (such as Conair). It never snags on my hair. I recently lost it for a while and had to go back to my cheap grocery store comb and detangling was horrible. The comb would get stuck in my hair, the seams were sharp and the teeth were pointy. I was so happy when I found my ultra smooth cricket comb again. The argan oil thing doesn’t make any sense to me, I think it’s just weird marketing but it definitely is the smoothest plastic comb I’ve ever touched. And I like that I don’t have to worry about bringing it in the shower with me.

http://www.cricketco.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/850x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/cricket_us_detangler_comb.jpg

ETA: Oh and I can’t imagine it ever snapping in two. It’s very sturdy!

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 02:53 PM
^ That looks really good, Ana H. :) I like that it seems to be a pretty large comb (10'' ?) :D I wonder, what are the measurements for length of teeth and distance between the teeth?... I can't seem to find that information online...

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 03:36 PM
^ That looks really good, Ana H. :) I like that it seems to be a pretty large comb (10'' ?) :D I wonder, what are the measurements for length of teeth and distance between the teeth?... I can't seem to find that information online...

That looks like about the distance of my Hairsense volume comb. I think the image is enlarged somewhat.

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 03:44 PM
^ I googled the length, and it said "2.75 inches tall x 9.75 inches long", but I can't find online measurements for length of teeth and distance between teeth, which is pretty important information. ;) It does have seems though.

Ana H.
August 1st, 2016, 03:48 PM

Yes! It’s nice and big! Just the teeth are 2 inches long. From the outer edge of the spine to the tip of the teeth is 2.5 inches. The space between the teeth is a little less than 1/4 inch at the top close to to the spine and then it widens to a little more than 1/4 inch.

lapushka
August 1st, 2016, 03:50 PM
http://hairsense.com/product/volume-comb/

My volume comb is 2.5" x 7", and it's got 19 teeth (outer ones included). Tooth spacing is 1/4".

The Cricket comb's got 13 teeth (outer included). And it seems as though Ana has calculated the teeth to be 1/4".

I first thought the latter comb had wider spacing, but apparently I was wrong. :o

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 04:32 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Ana H. and lapushka! :flowers:
All my WT combs have 1/4'' spacing between teeth, too. :hifive:
Some day, I want to try something wider, just to see if it glides more. I know some Hairsense combs have wider spacing and I can't find the measurements for the Magic Star (Jumbo Rake) by Hercules Sagemann, but its teeth do look like they are probably spaced out significantly wider. :hmm:

Ana H.
August 1st, 2016, 05:35 PM
Some day, I want to try something wider, just to see if it glides more. I know some Hairsense combs have wider spacing and I can't find the measurements for the Magic Star (Jumbo Rake) by Hercules Sagemann, but its teeth do look like they are probably spaced out significantly wider. :hmm:

Lapushka’s looks really good too. Mine is definitely a bit wider than 1/4 inch once the gap gets bigger a quarter/third of the way down. It’s 2/5ths of an inch to be exact, I was just guesstimating but I just went back to count the little dashes on my ruler more precisely. That means it’s 0.15 inches more than 0.25 inches. If my math is correct! =) Anyway...

I suppose it could be better to have more teeth but I find it easer to comb my hair when there’s a handle to grip. But I think maybe that’s just because my lyme arthritis make it more painful to hold a comb by its spine.

ETA: Oh! And without counting the handle the comb is almost 5.25 inches long. So, shorter than Lapushka's

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 06:05 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Ana H. ! :flowers: That's super-helpful! :D

veex
August 1st, 2016, 07:41 PM
Amazon has spoiled me. I never even try to look other places when shopping online.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 04:45 AM

I have that one (Magic Star), and I'll measure the gap between teeth, it is... I'm terribly bad at inches, but it is smack dab in the middle between 1/4 and 1/5 of an inch - if that helps (about 7 "increments"). What is that?

meteor
August 2nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I have that one (Magic Star), and I'll measure the gap between teeth, it is... I'm terribly bad at inches, but it is smack dab in the middle between 1/4 and 1/5 of an inch - if that helps (about 7 "increments"). What is that?

Thanks a lot for checking it out and measuring it, lapushka! :flowers: :love:

I'm guessing it's 7/16 of an inch then (since an inch tape has 16 increments (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8b/88/78/8b887894473b394032571a0630d87104.jpg))? So between 1/4 and 1/2 of an inch? (Or about 1.11125 cm?) That's pretty nice and wide! :D
(I have no idea why I'm using inches on the LHC, lol! :p Metric system is so much easier!)
Thanks so much for measuring it, lapushka! :D

So you have both Hairsense and Hercules Sagemann combs? That's so awesome, lapushka! :joy: Do you like the material/thickness/craftsmanship/etc more on one of them or the other? I remember reading scathing reviews of Hairsense on Igor's blog (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.ca/search?q=Hairsense), mostly around how the material broke/developed snags, but HS seemed to be her holy grail... I wonder if it was just a rare experience of if the 2 brands are comparable.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 09:48 AM
I'm much better with cm! I checked again. They taper from 7mm all the way to 1cm. I measured a random spot earlier. Woopsie. :o

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 09:50 AM
So you have both Hairsense and Hercules Sagemann combs? That's so awesome, lapushka! :joy: Do you like the material/thickness/craftsmanship/etc more on one of them or the other? I remember reading scathing reviews of Hairsense on Igor's blog (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.ca/search?q=Hairsense), mostly around how the material broke/developed snags, but HS seemed to be her holy grail... I wonder if it was just a rare experience of if the 2 brands are comparable.

Yep. I think the Hairsense comb and my HS are about alike in thickness and material. I like them both equally. My Hairsense comb never snags or never does any of those things and I use that one wet and my HS dry; so maybe that was a one-off?

Mimha
August 2nd, 2016, 02:50 PM
Yep. I think the Hairsense comb and my HS are about alike in thickness and material. I like them both equally. My Hairsense comb never snags or never does any of those things and I use that one wet and my HS dry; so maybe that was a one-off?

Hi lapushka ! :)

Since you mentioned Hairsense, I went to check their website and... I ordered 3 combs !! :silly:
Lol. I know I don't need THREE combs, especially because I already have a brand-less one that I love in hard rubber, but well... I LOVE combs^^ and I really wanted to give those a try ! :p

I have actually discovered hard rubber (ebonite) combs lately. Before, I had horn combs, which are really nice, soft, strong and non-static. But as my hair is getting longer and longer, I feel them starting to be too small. Detangling is fastidious with a too small comb. I love my big wide tooth hard rubber one for its huge size and smoothness. It's a black one, with a S "whale shape" kind of pleasant design. But it is a handle-less comb and I want to try some other shapes of them. I like combs with a handle. Can't wait to get them !! :) :)

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 03:14 PM
Hi lapushka ! :)

Since you mentioned Hairsense, I went to check their website and... I ordered 3 combs !! :silly:
Lol. I know I don't need THREE combs, especially because I already have a brand-less one that I love in hard rubber, but well... I LOVE combs^^ and I really wanted to give those a try ! :p

I have actually discovered hard rubber (ebonite) combs lately. Before, I had horn combs, which are really nice, soft, strong and non-static. But as my hair is getting longer and longer, I feel them starting to be too small. Detangling is fastidious with a too small comb. I love my big wide tooth hard rubber one for its huge size and smoothness. It's a black one, with a S "whale shape" kind of pleasant design. But it is a handle-less comb and I want to try some other shapes of them. I like combs with a handle. Can't wait to get them !! :) :)

I hope you like them. I have 3 hairsense combs as well, these ones:
http://hairsense.com/product/wide-spaced-detangler/
http://hairsense.com/product/five-tooth-detangler/

Mimha
August 3rd, 2016, 05:13 AM
I hope you like them. I have 3 hairsense combs as well, these ones:
http://hairsense.com/product/wide-spaced-detangler/
http://hairsense.com/product/five-tooth-detangler/

Are you satisfied with the super wide tooth ones ? I hesitated quite a lot, and then I chose other ones because my hair is neither thick enough nor so curly to justify a super wide tooth comb like those. I had the feeling that so few teeth would not detangle better than if I finger comb, actually. :hmm: Or unless I comb a lot (= many more strokes to compensate the fewer teeth). So I preferred to order the normal detangling rake combs which looked more appropriate for my hair type. (I like combs with a long handle because I partly comb my hair in my back).

http://hairsense.com/product/classic-handle-rake/
http://hairsense.com/product/handle-rake/

And I also bought this one just because I found it beautiful (and cheap enough to be fool and order it), ha ha ha !

http://hairsense.com/product/designing-wave-comb/

Lol. I don't know what I can do with it :confused: as it is not large enough to fully grasp all my hair, and so very finely toothed that I can only use it on already fully detangled hair. Oh well, I can be SO stupid sometimes, when I love the design of something. :rolleyes:

Oh, and here is my actual hard rubber comb, on chapter 8. Kämme/peignes (p. 3/3) art. 005186 (sorry, no direct link). I love this super large soft and comfortable comb ! :)

http://www.herba-imodac.ch/libraries.files/20160720_KPA-Katalog.pdf

lapushka
August 3rd, 2016, 05:38 AM
Are you satisfied with the super wide tooth ones ? I hesitated quite a lot, and then I chose other ones because my hair is neither thick enough nor so curly to justify a super wide tooth comb like those. I had the feeling that so few teeth would not detangle better than if I finger comb, actually. :hmm: Or unless I comb a lot (= many more strokes to compensate the fewer teeth). So I preferred to order the normal detangling rake combs which looked more appropriate for my hair type. (I like combs with a long handle because I partly comb my hair in my back).

http://hairsense.com/product/classic-handle-rake/
http://hairsense.com/product/handle-rake/

And I also bought this one just because I found it beautiful (and cheap enough to be fool and order it), ha ha ha !

http://hairsense.com/product/designing-wave-comb/

Lol. I don't know what I can do with it :confused: as it is not large enough to fully grasp all my hair, and so very finely toothed that I can only use it on already fully detangled hair. Oh well, I can be SO stupid sometimes, when I love the design of something. :rolleyes:

Oh, and here is my actual hard rubber comb, on chapter 8. Kämme/peignes (p. 3/3) art. 005186 (sorry, no direct link). I love this super large soft and comfortable comb ! :)

http://www.herba-imodac.ch/libraries.files/20160720_KPA-Katalog.pdf

Honestly, I have hardly used the larger spaced ones. The volume comb just "fits me" better. But now you've put an idea in my head and I might just start using them to "finger detangle" during the week. Thanks!

The first one you linked seems as wide as my volume comb, but the 2 next ones are kind of small-spaced TBH, esp. for curlier hair! IDK about those...

Mimha
August 3rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
Honestly, I have hardly used the larger spaced ones. The volume comb just "fits me" better. But now you've put an idea in my head and I might just start using them to "finger detangle" during the week. Thanks!

The first one you linked seems as wide as my volume comb, but the 2 next ones are kind of small-spaced TBH, esp. for curlier hair! IDK about those...

Thanks for your reply, lapushka. Lol, "finger detangling" with a comb :laugh: But I'm sure they work great for very gentle soft "in between" maintenance, for example during the day when you have hair down and don't want to fully comb all the time (and therefore damage it in the long run). Interesting ! I had not thought about it either. :)

I will tell you how I feel with the ones I ordered once I get them. Thanks again for the link ! :flower:

Mimha
August 11th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Hi there !

Just because I promised a feedback to lapushka :) about Hairsense seamless "bone" combs :

I've just got my combs, yaaay !!.... oooops. :ponder: Had a closer look at them :eye: and well... I don't know if I am mad or happy, lol. It actually took me more than one hour of meticulous work to re-sand all combs myself before I dared use them in my hair ! I know I come from a country of mad perfectionists (Switzerland), but still : the finish of all combs was really poor. I don't speak of the somewhat charming "handmade" look they have but about the deplorable polish of the interdent area. What the use of buying a "seamless" comb if the interdent is so rough ?? There was a kind of dark purple wax (on a caramel color comb... :ponder:) between the teeth, I don't know why for, whether to help the combs glide better through the hair or to hide the unevenness of the finish/polish. Considering the harshness of the teeth (square pointed), I decided to redo the polishing myself, using a very fine sand paper. I rounded all teeth end and clean off all the wax to make sure it was not hiding some cracks or deleterious chip in the material.

NOW my combs are perfectly smooth. They glide through my hair like a dream and detangle as wonderfully as I had hoped. I'm very pleased by the result. But Lord, what a job !!! :D :D

lapushka
August 11th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Hi there !

Just because I promised a feedback to lapushka :) about Hairsense seamless "bone" combs :

I've just got my combs, yaaay !!.... oooops. :ponder: Had a closer look at them :eye: and well... I don't know if I am mad or happy, lol. It actually took me more than one hour of meticulous work to re-sand all combs myself before I dared use them in my hair ! I know I come from a country of mad perfectionists (Switzerland), but still : the finish of all combs was really poor. I don't speak of the somewhat charming "handmade" look they have but about the deplorable polish of the interdent area. What the use of buying a "seamless" comb if the interdent is so rough ?? There was a kind of dark purple wax (on a caramel color comb... :ponder:) between the teeth, I don't know why for, whether to help the combs glide better through the hair or to hide the unevenness of the finish/polish. Considering the harshness of the teeth (square pointed), I decided to redo the polishing myself, using a very fine sand paper. I rounded all teeth end and clean off all the wax to make sure it was not hiding some cracks or deleterious chip in the material.

NOW my combs are perfectly smooth. They glide through my hair like a dream and detangle as wonderfully as I had hoped. I'm very pleased by the result. But Lord, what a job !!! :D :D

That's odd; mine were perfectly fine. Maybe I should stop raving about the ones I have. :o Or, maybe the quality has gone downhill since I last bought mine (which was 5-10 years ago).

Tosca
August 11th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I have heard bad things about hairsense combs too. Never tried them though.

lapushka
August 11th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Yes, Igor made a blogpost about it, but that doesn't make them bad combs. That's one opinion and experience. Like I said, I have no issues with mine (3 combs), but that's my experience. YMMV. The teeth were perfectly even and nothing ever snagged or snags.

Mimha
August 11th, 2016, 08:31 AM

I was maybe unlucky. But 3 different combs with all three the same defects doesn't sound very encouraging for me to order again from them. :( Hopefully the combs are long lasting !...

I saw a comment from Igor Belltowers on her blog about a comb she got which was bearing a huge split. But on some other hair blogs or forums, I read comments of people who were really satisfied with the quality (like JJJ, who bought hers long ago, like lapushka), as well as the service (they could exchange their combs easily). So... I don't want to be frankly negative about them. I actually love the feeling of these combs in my hair and I'm sure I will enjoy them very long. The shape of the teeth is great (like a ship bow that easily "opens" the hair when you run the comb through). The combs themselves are very light in the hand and feel super strong in the same time. And I absolutely love the material : it is very soft and "warm", with an organic feeling, very similar to bone or horn. Plus the weird caramel color pleases me a lot : it will darken to deep mahogany with time (or so they say), exactly like a natural material, which I also find very pleasant.

I plan to make a picture of my different combs, with a little note about each of them. Don't know yet where I will post it, though. :popcorn:

Mimha
August 11th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Oops, just found your last post, lapushka ! ^^ Yes, that's what I was saying : I think there are good combs. At least the material is really great !

Vanille
August 18th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Hello, all. It has been some years since I was last active here, and I'm happy to see that this forum is still a going concern! I'm posting here out of gratitude, since once again this forum has given me information that I might never have found on my own.

Recently my interest in taking excellent of my hair was re-awakened. In addition to immediately upgrading my washing and conditioning routine, I decided to get some good (safe for hair) combs.

After some trial and error (such as finding out that only the Silkomb and Carbon models of Cricket brand combs are actually seamless), I found this thread here at LHC as well as this one:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113718

...and after checking out all the options by both price and quality, decided to try Creative combs.

I ended up purchasing these three:

C8W for after-wash detangling: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Tooth-Tortoise-Combs-Large/dp/B00OU0TL5G/

C3W for "first pass" (dry) combing: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Hair-Brushes-C3W-C3w/dp/B00CLH0PFK/

C3 for "finishing" (dry) combing: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Hair-Brushes-C3/dp/B004162OXA/

You can also find a huge selection on the Creative website:

https://www.creativehairtools.com/collections/combs

...but they don't seem to have the 8W (which I really wanted for detangling), and I also wanted the fast and free shipping offered by Amazon -- because I suddenly NEEDED them immediately! You know how it is. ;)

Overall I am very pleased with these combs. The color is much darker and less orange-y than the photos, which is a plus for me. They really glide through the hair. And the price is pretty reasonable.

There's a quality control issue, though: The first C3W that I received had a couple of small (but potentially hair-damaging) sharp burrs between two sets of teeth near the base (hooray for Amazon's excellent return policies). The replacement comb that arrived today is a lot better, but still required a little work with a sharp knife to remove a smaller burr.

And the C3 also has a couple of less severe (but similar) flaws in the same areas.

So although the combs and teeth are VERY smooth and well-polished over all, there seems to be a potential issue near the base between some of the teeth (on both the C3 and C3W models that I received), perhaps due to the operation of hollowing out the base of the curve with a dremel tool and sometimes "slipping" a bit to cause irregularities.

Overall I'd highly recommend these for both quality and price, with the caveat that you'll want to hold them up to the light (as you would probably do with any comb you cared about) and check for possible burrs as mentioned above. However, given that much bigger issues were reported with some of the other brands listed in these threads, I think Creative combs are a good buy.

Psst! Can someone think of a good excuse for me to buy this one now?

https://www.creativehairtools.com/collections/combs/products/c5w-wide-tooth-tortoise-hair-comb

It's just so darn cute, but for SOME reason my nearest and dearest thinks that (after my recent comb buying frenzy) I now have "enough" combs... Any ideas?

Thanks for being here, guys! This forum is a wonderful resource for both information and inspiration, and I'm happy to see that it is alive and well. :)

Tosca
August 18th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Because it is adorable? How about because it's good for keeping in your pocket for midday hair redoing?

meteor
August 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Vanille, those combs look really nice and I agree, that last one is so cute! :D Thanks so much for a detailed review. :D

Mimha, thanks a lot for your review of the Hairsense comb. :D I've seen similar reports on finishing/sanding, too, which is a bit of a problem for someone like me who doesn't know how to sand things perfectly, if there are defects. You mentioned you really loved the material though. :) How does it compare to hard plastic (like the Madora comb) or to any other materials you've tried? Does it have any grip to it or is it more smooth, like polished horn maybe? Do you prefer it to wood? Thank you! :flower:

Vanille
August 19th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! This little cutie is on the way now:

https://www.creativehairtools.com/products/c5t-wide-tooth-tortoise-hair-comb

My current rationale is that I will use it to distribute conditioner for pre-wash treatment. In other words, I just added a step to my hair care routine in order to justify the purchase of a cute comb. 8)

Amazon was temporarily offering it at nearly $5 less than the regular price, so clearly it's "meant to be." ;)

Here's wishing everyone a lovely weekend!

Follow-up on 23 August 2016:

The cute little C5W comb arrived today... and sadly, it ALSO has noticeable flaws: 1) An irregular tooth tip that was noticeable before I even took it out of the packaging and 2) several small sharp burrs (three on one tooth alone) between the teeth of the comb.

That makes four flawed combs out of the five (one was a replacement for the first C3W) Creative combs that I've received in the past week.

When they are good, these combs are GREAT. They glide through the hair, and are wonderful to use. If the company would improve on quality control, I'd highly recommend this brand.

Ah well. On a positive note, thank goodness for Amazon's great return/refund policy.

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! This little cutie is on the way now:

https://www.creativehairtools.com/products/c5t-wide-tooth-tortoise-hair-comb

My current rationale is that I will use it to distribute conditioner for pre-wash treatment. In other words, I just added a step to my hair care routine in order to justify the purchase of a cute comb. 8)

Amazon was temporarily offering it at nearly $5 less than the regular price, so clearly it's "meant to be." ;)

Here's wishing everyone a lovely weekend!

Follow-up on 23 August 2016:

The cute little C5W comb arrived today... and sadly, it ALSO has noticeable flaws: 1) An irregular tooth tip that was noticeable before I even took it out of the packaging and 2) several small sharp burrs (three on one tooth alone) between the teeth of the comb.

That makes four flawed combs out of the five (one was a replacement for the first C3W) Creative combs that I've received in the past week.

When they are good, these combs are GREAT. They glide through the hair, and are wonderful to use. If the company would improve on quality control, I'd highly recommend this brand.

Ah well. On a positive note, thank goodness for Amazon's great return/refund policy.

I just got the Creative combs on Amazon. Hopefully mine will turn out OK, but it's true that the return policy makes it much easier to buy. :) Looking forward to going seamless! Just inspected my current comb and it's a mess!