PDA

View Full Version : grief and shedding

timeschild
July 21st, 2016, 01:34 PM
So does anyone know what grief plays in shedding? I just yesterday lost my granmother and was couriouse.

Decoy24601
July 21st, 2016, 01:36 PM
From what I've heard, it's possible severe stress/depression can cause more hair to go into the resting phase at one time, which could increase shedding temporarily.

ETA: I'm very sorry for your loss.

bradlea
July 21st, 2016, 01:36 PM
i'm so sorry to hear that. any kind of stress can affect your hair, but it doesn't always. usually it takes a few months from the time of your stress for a change to occur, and it usually gets better after awhile. so sorry again <3

eadwine
July 21st, 2016, 02:31 PM
Stress has a large impact on your hair, but it depends on the kind, apparently, so I have found.

I have been under a HUGE amount of stress lately, so much so my body started to respond negatively to it, yet, shedding, not so much.

Years ago, about 6, was also a very tense time for me and I really lost 1/3 of my thickness, it was visible when the new growth reached BSL and I cut back to that length back then.

It just depends.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother..

lapushka
July 21st, 2016, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing! :grouphug:

I agree with eadwine, it depends on what type of stress and how it affects you. It doesn't mean it *will* shed more!

Pinni
July 21st, 2016, 06:28 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

It can affect shedding, two of my relatives had it -and they got their hair back later. But like lapushka said it is not sure it will shed more.

Saige
July 21st, 2016, 06:37 PM
I'm so sorry, timeschild :grouphug:

I lost a close family member about 2 years ago and had a huge shed. I lost over 1cm from my ponytail circumference and started getting thin/bald parts at my hairline. It is slowly growing back in, thankfully.

adasteph
July 21st, 2016, 06:44 PM
This makes sense now. Right after this last Christmas my mom passed away from cancer and I have noticed I have had hardly any growth in my hair. It's time for happier/healthier changes.
I am sorry for your loss. It is really tough.

Deborah
July 21st, 2016, 09:46 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :flower:

As to your hair, I suggest you just don't worry about it. I went through several extremely stressful family situations this past year, and my hair is just the same as ever, not one bit thinner. Some people experience things differently, but most likely your hair will be unaffected by this sad family loss. Just take good care of it as you probably already do. Best of luck with your hair growing!