PDA

View Full Version : i want to share my holy grail sleep style!

bradlea
July 21st, 2016, 01:20 PM
hi guys! i rarely post here but i thought of the community instantly when i figured this out. i've tried literally for years to find a sleep style that works for me, and i finally got it. my hair is tailbone length, hennaed, medium thickness, old bleach on the bottom, and like velcro. i have to brush it pretty much five times per day to keep it from matting up if i leave it loose. here's what i've already tried and why it didn't work:

satin sleep caps: i HATE these. even then ones with a tie rather than elastic hurt my forehead and my ears and i've never made it a full night without ripping one off, even though i've tried four different kinds multiple times.

sleep braids: the most comfortable, but i hate the look of braid waves on myself (they come out super crimpy even if i leave it loose) and it doesn't protect my ends

topknot: this has been my go to for years, but it's still really flawed. i have tons of broken hairs around my ears from them being pulled too tight, it even looks a bit like two small specific spots behind my ears are balding. and even if it's loose, it's too tight, because gravity pulls it downward when i sleep on my side.

loose: i told you guys my hair is like velcro. on top of that, i toss and turn like crazy, and one night sleeping with it loose is enough to turn it into one giant mat.

so here's my solution! maybe someone has thought of this already, but i haven't seen it around, and i've specifically searched the forum for ideas. you need a satiny pillowcase and satiny sleep cap with ties rather than elastic. i rope braid my hair (it makes prettier waves for me, a regular braid is fine if you like it!) and then put ONLY the braid in my sleep cap, and wrap the ties all crisscrossed around the braid and cap and tie them on. i don't wrap it all in one place to distribute the pressure. i've only done this a couple nights, but i'm quite sure it's comfortable. i'm thinking of stitching my sleep cap to be half as large, so there's less bulk around the braid, but it doesn't really matter. here's a terrible photo to show what i mean in case you need it! it stays on all night for me, and is the most comfortable style i've found. plus, i can recycle one of my sleep caps so it's not all wasted!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t34.0-12/13819603_10205850746981667_437127632_n.jpg?oh=f5d2 5f2a93b8d02a31a7f95538060a68&oe=5792C5A2&__gda__=1469303587_15644df3d341438e1c447cb6673beeb 5

alright well i hope that helps someone, i've already told a couple longhair friends and they're going to start doing it :3 let me know if someone's already thought of this, or if you're gonna try it!

lapushka
July 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM
Really clever to tie off your braid with a silk scarf.

I do love sleeping with it loose on my microfiber pillow case, and it works for me. :)

bradlea
July 21st, 2016, 04:02 PM
oh my gosh i WISH it worked for me, haha! and thank you :3

celtic
July 22nd, 2016, 12:49 AM
thank you for the idea. this sounds wonderful. will try it myself, since my hair gets knotted all the time, even if oiled heavily.

Johannah
July 22nd, 2016, 01:14 AM
I *need* a sleep cap at the moment (because of my grown out bangs, they will be in my face ALL THE TIME if I don't), but I might try the rope braid thing for waves... I really like that idea. How do you braid it? Do you first make a ponytail and then braid it?

bradlea
July 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
nope, i just started braiding with no pony to avoid a kink! i have annoying growing out bangs as well haha, i know the struggle!

Johannah
July 22nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
nope, i just started braiding with no pony to avoid a kink! i have annoying growing out bangs as well haha, i know the struggle!

Mine are at this length NOTHING works. Aaarghhh :justy:

I can't wait for them to be 36" :/

Jumper
July 22nd, 2016, 09:02 AM
I may have to try this. Most of the time I sleep with my hair in a low ponytail or a braid. I can't stand a different texture pillowcase than the one I have and I know without trying it that I wouldn't be able to tolerate a sleep cap on my head.

kattmara
July 22nd, 2016, 09:13 AM
This reminds me of this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/p1ZgOhopgL8

I think I'll try some sort of combination and see what happens when I put it like this dry (and not damp to create curls), I'll get back with the results but it seems promising, great idea bradlea!

Tysiphone
July 22nd, 2016, 04:41 PM
Wow! Such a great but simple idea. I'm definitely going to try it out!

LadyAdelina
July 22nd, 2016, 05:42 PM
I'll have to try this! I hate putting a hair tie on the end of my braid (always gives an annoying kink) and a scrunchy never stays. I never thought of distributing the ties with something like the satin cap, and then I can stop using my satin pillowcase and actually use the one that matches my sheets!

Thanks! :joy:

Llama
August 11th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I'm confused by your instructions...you say you need a satin pillowcase as well as a satin sleep cap but you didn't mention what you do with the pillowcase.
I also can't see the picture.