PDA

View Full Version : Ever get tired of having to upkeep your long locks?

genlilliana
July 21st, 2016, 11:29 AM
Now, don't get me wrong...I LOVE my long hair. I like playing with it and styling it and hair toys are lots of fun. That said, sometimes I just get tired of it. I will bun it for days and hate the bun but at the same time I am less than thrilled about the prospect of detangling, moisturizing and maintaining it. It seems to happen most in summer when it's really hard to deal with the thick hair, length and heat!

Anyone here ever get that way from time-to-time too? Any quick lazy updo's you go to when you feel that way?

Johannah
July 21st, 2016, 11:32 AM
I personally never get tired from it, but a LWB is a pretty good updo for when I'm lazy (as the name says itself :lol:). I love braids in summer as well! It's out of the way, still 'down' and really nice looking if you're done with the buns :)

calmyogi
July 21st, 2016, 11:52 AM
I have been thinking about this a lot lately myself lol. Now that my hair is heading towards waist and it's summer I was wondering if anyone else ever got tired of detangling or trying to maintain hair health while being active in and around water.

I get tired of caring sometimes.

littlestarface
July 21st, 2016, 11:53 AM
Nah never but I always keep my hair in braids so I usually just forget about it until I want to do some treatment.

nekosan
July 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM
Nope. Maybe because my hair is thin and fine - there isn't too much of it to take care of. I don't have the heavy mane that lots of folks have.

If i did have thick hair, I'd probably try an undercut for fun.

vampyyri
July 21st, 2016, 11:56 AM
I used to be this way, but now I just throw it into an updo when I get annoyed with it being down. Usually I opt for a LWB, cinnabun, or nautilus and I change it out by braiding it to give it a different look. Or if I want it down but out of the way it's fun to try different types of braids!

Decoy24601
July 21st, 2016, 11:59 AM
Not really. It's a bit of a pain because of how thick it is, but that's not really a maintenance issue. I've had long hair most of my life and I only started changing my routine around when I joined LHC. I just toss it in a LWB most days now, so I don't have to worry about it misbehaving too much.

Frankenstein
July 21st, 2016, 12:22 PM
I definitely get tired of it, but hair care has become a hobby of mine. So I do enjoy it the other half of the time :p

Chromis
July 21st, 2016, 12:26 PM
Nope, never. My hair was so much more work when it was short. It won't lay right without a ton of product and also it grows so fast that if I had ever wanted to keep it short, the upkeep would have been immense. I couldn't stretch washes then either.

calmyogi
July 21st, 2016, 12:29 PM
My hair was work when it was short too. I love my long hair and will never have it short again unless I have too, but I dominos miss the days when I just threw it up and didn't care about it. My hair texture won't stand for this neglect though so I have to care. I am lazy most days though and will braid it or just topknot it.

Anje
July 21st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Not really -- some of it is that my hair hasn't been shorter than shoulderish in any time I can remember, and I've pretty much worn it up most days since I figured out how to ponytail it myself when I was maybe 7. It takes a few more minutes now at my nearly-fingertip length than it did at shoulder, but most of that is just because I've taken to wearing braids and there's a lot to braid! If anything, I spend less time dealing with tangles now than I used to, because I'm better at preventing them.

Might I cut it short someday? Maybe, for the experience or if I have a practical need for it. But I'd be shocked if anything longer than a buzzcut requires less care and attention than I currently give my hair.

arr
July 21st, 2016, 12:53 PM
No I don't. I actually look forward to washing, brushing, styling my hair. I find it very soothing and satisfying and it rarely bugs me because it's in a braid or bun most of the time anyway. What is bugging me lately is my growing out bangs. They are almost long enough to fit in my bun but not quite, and I get tired of trying to contain them and pieces blowing in my face.

samanthaa
July 21st, 2016, 01:04 PM
The only time I really get annoying with my hair is when my short canopy layers (breakage?) fall loose from a bun/braid and fly around my face/get in my eyes and mouth. And then I think, well, if I ever cut my hair short, this will be all of my hair bothering me rather than just these few strands!

The only reason I'd probably ever cut short is to get rid of my henna. Sooooo we'll see about that.

LongCurlyTress
July 21st, 2016, 03:23 PM
Nope! I agree with what others have said below, especially Chromis ... and my hair is much easier the longer it is since the length holds down the curl and thickness and biggness. I feel it is a part of my body that I sincerely cherish and love caring for it. I have always loved long hair and love my hair now more than ever. ;) In fact, the longer it gets, the more thick and luxurious it feels!

Cg
July 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM
Never! I love trying out new bun styles and pretty hairtoys. I also don't like hair in my face. And as others have noted, it's a whole lot easier (and cheaper -- no salons) to maintain than short.

calmyogi
July 21st, 2016, 03:31 PM
LongCurlyTress, your hair is beautiful.

lapushka
July 21st, 2016, 03:37 PM
Now, don't get me wrong...I LOVE my long hair. I like playing with it and styling it and hair toys are lots of fun. That said, sometimes I just get tired of it. I will bun it for days and hate the bun but at the same time I am less than thrilled about the prospect of detangling, moisturizing and maintaining it. It seems to happen most in summer when it's really hard to deal with the thick hair, length and heat!

Anyone here ever get that way from time-to-time too? Any quick lazy updo's you go to when you feel that way?

I know what you mean. But I have learned 2 things:

1/ keep your hair at a level you can still manage at wash day
2/ make wash day a pampering experience (with your little products and all)

That's what makes it "fun" for me. I weekly wash, the rest of the week my hair is in a bun when I'm up and down when I'm asleep. I can get it into a LWB in 10-15 sec. and that's me done for the day! The entire day! If that means I have to devote a few hours one day a week "fixing it", then that's nothing.

Short hair? Needed to be (heat)styled several days a week, and washed more frequently. So... no, nothing beats long hair for me.

Nadine <3
July 21st, 2016, 03:38 PM
Not really. Sometimes waiting for it to dry is annoying but caring for my hair is generally nice and relaxing for me.

LongCurlyTress
July 21st, 2016, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much calmyogi!! You made my day! :blossom: (And I was having a long one... :rolleyes:)

Groovy Granny
July 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM
Nope! I agree with what others have said below, especially Chromis ... and my hair is much easier the longer it is since the length holds down the curl and thickness and biggness. I feel it is a part of my body that I sincerely cherish and love caring for it. I have always loved long hair and love my hair now more than ever. ;) In fact, the longer it gets, the more thick and luxurious it feels!

And LOOKS ....gorgeous :thud:

I agree with the others; it is a joy to care for and style!

Yes, it takes time to care for it .....but it takes LESS time than with short hair!

And sometimes you need to experiment when your hair needs change, but you find your holy grail product eventually.

When the hair blahs hit...get a new hair toy, trima bit, try a new product....or just switch up your routine a bit; it will pass.

LongCurlyTress
July 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM
And LOOKS ....gorgeous :thud:

I agree with the others; it is a joy to care for and style!

Yes, it takes time to care for it .....but it takes LESS time than with short hair!

And sometimes you need to experiment when your hair needs change, but you find your holy grail product eventually.

When the hair blahs hit...get a new hair toy, trima bit, try a new product....or just switch up your routine a bit; it will pass.

LOL!! Thank you GG!! :blossom: Yours looks gorgeous....

I agree... sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find your favorite hair products, or as in my case, I discovered less is more... just a drop of evoo on the length when wet, and done... up into a lwb it goes to dry. ;) :applause

Groovy Granny
July 21st, 2016, 04:43 PM
LOL!! Thank you GG!! :blossom: Yours looks gorgeous....

I agree... sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find your favorite hair products, or as in my case, I discovered less is more... just a drop of evoo on the length when wet, and done... up into a lwb it goes to dry. ;) :applause

That's the truth! :thumbsup:

There is so much info offered here; it is tempting to jump in and try all of it lol

My mantra is "If it ain't broke don't fix it".....I (ahem) learned that the hard way ;)

LongCurlyTress
July 21st, 2016, 04:48 PM

That's the truth! :thumbsup:

There is so much info offered here; it is tempting to jump in and try all of it lol

My mantra is "If it ain't broke don't fix it".....I (ahem) learned that the hard way ;)

LOL! Ain't that the truth!! :cool: Been there/done that! :rolleyes:

Groovy Granny
July 21st, 2016, 05:05 PM
LOL! Ain't that the truth!! :cool: Been there/done that! :rolleyes:

It is a right of passage for long hairs I think :rollin:

Deborah
July 21st, 2016, 05:07 PM
I find it quite easy. I wash once a week, and wear it up in a bun, usually a flipped bun, almost every day. I sleep in a braid. Wearing it like this keeps it nearly tangle-free all the time. Years ago when I wore it down all day, it needed to be brushed numerous time per day to keep it tangle-free, as the wind would blow it about, etc. Now that I keep it largely up, it's easy peasy. I'm sure short hair takes more work and upkeep.

turtlelover
July 21st, 2016, 05:26 PM
No, but I DO get tired of my bangs looking flat and greasy the DAY after I wash them in the summer. Blah!

neko_kawaii
July 21st, 2016, 05:32 PM
I find long hair much easier to care for than short and much less boring. With shorter lengths when I wanted to do something with it there weren't many options, it was hard to put up and forget about, and irritating in the heat.

Hairkay
July 21st, 2016, 05:39 PM
I don't see dealing with hair to be a chore. I don't have to comb mine everyday since I'm into low manipulation styling, plaits/braids can last me a week at a time.

lapis_lazuli
July 21st, 2016, 05:53 PM
Never, never, never! My hair is my fifth limb :smooch:
It goes up in a LWB everyday, plus stretching washes is an upside :)

Tosca
July 21st, 2016, 05:55 PM
No, as there isn't much upkeep for me. I wash it with shampoo and conditioner once a week before bed and brush it every day. I usually put it in some kind of bun for the day, and sleep with it flipped over my pillow.

yahirwaO.o
July 21st, 2016, 06:00 PM
Nope. Maybe because my hair is thin and fine - there isn't too much of it to take care of. I don't have the heavy mane that lots of folks have.

If i did have thick hair, I'd probably try an undercut for fun.

Oh yes, and undercut with more hair would be so nice, especially for a long haired guy! But my hair is pretty fine so a big no for me!

Not really. Sometimes waiting for it to dry is annoying but caring for my hair is generally nice and relaxing for me.

Same, the only time I get tired is the drying part (either letting air to do the job or blow drying it).

Other than those, I love my hair and its all crazy glory!

Llama
July 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM
The only thing that takes longer is detangling, which does frustrate me sometimes.
But I will take that any day compared to what I had to do to get my short hair to look good: wash/blow dry every day, heat style every day, teasing to get volume...some days I would not even want to go to school/work because my hair just didn't look good even though I would spend hours on it and I would get so upset over it.
I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with that anymore. It just lays better when it is long and healthy. And if it is dirty I can put it up in a bun easily with no frustration. No aggressive styling necessary. :)

calmyogi
July 21st, 2016, 07:48 PM
Ok, what is LWB?!

EdG
July 21st, 2016, 07:52 PM
No. Long hair does not require much work to maintain. It is arguably less work.
Ed

humble_knight
July 21st, 2016, 07:54 PM
@calmyogi :Lazy wrap bun.....:)

I'm still at a short length of almost-APL, so it can get annoying. The mini heatwave we had this week drove me bonkers and I kept thinking it would be easier to just have a buzzcut. I'm looking forward to solid BSL, whenever that happens, so I can keep my hair tied up all the time.

school of fish
July 21st, 2016, 08:17 PM
I've had long hair for most of my adult life, and I can honestly say it ceased to feel like a chore once I learned what my hair likes and was able to corral that into a low-maintenance daily routine. Before I had that figured out detangling would actually make me angry from how long it took, and I'd end up ripping through in frustration - that just simply doesn't exist now that I've learned my hair ;)

I've also determined my priorities on my growth journey and know exactly where my desires and my limits meet ;) My priorities are a length that I can wear loose daily but maintain in healthy condition, to my aesthetic standards, with a minimum of hassle or special treatment needed. TBL is that length for me. Now that I know what my hair likes carewise, so long as I keep up with basic daily maintenance I spend no more time on it that I did at a chin-length bob - less than 10min a day :)

TheLuckyLurker
July 21st, 2016, 08:39 PM
Yes. That's why after months of consideration I finally just chopped back to apl. I'll probably grow it out again some day, but for now I'm enjoying the fact that pampering my hair is an option, rather than an obligation.

calmyogi
July 21st, 2016, 08:57 PM
@calmyogi :Lazy wrap bun.....:)

I'm still at a short length of almost-APL, so it can get annoying. The mini heatwave we had this week drove me bonkers and I kept thinking it would be easier to just have a buzzcut. I'm looking forward to solid BSL, whenever that happens, so I can keep my hair tied up all the time.

Thank you humbleknight, it wasn't until just before logging back on it dawned on me what it meant lol.

Garnetgem
July 21st, 2016, 09:09 PM
No never tire of it i have had short hair in the past and i did tire of that..it was needing to be trimmed and styled often gels and stuff to hold it in place needed washing more often...but with long hair its so easy to care for,after wash its stays clean for much longer than short ever did..i only need to trim every two months and braided during the day...many strangers comment on it the first thing they seem to say is how much work it must be to look after such long hair..i am like no its not at all and they look at me as if i am lying!

florenonite
July 21st, 2016, 11:49 PM
Well, I've been a member of LHC for nine years now and my hair is currently hovering around APL, so ... :lol:

In the past 9 years I've grown to waist + and then chopped back to shoulder-length (or shorter) thrice now. My main issue is drying time. My hair takes FOR-E-VER to dry, and even at hip I needed to wash it 2-3 times a week, so after a few years of growing I always find myself at a point where long hair isn't fun anymore, because it spends most of its time either looking kind of greasy or hanging down my back in limp, wet strings that chill me to the bone in cooler weather (I can damp bun/braid for a while on wash day, but I need to let it out for at least 8 hours if it's going to dry by bedtime - and if it's even more than a smidgen damp when I go to bed it'll still be damp by morning).

So, yeah, I do get tired of the sheer PITA long hair can be. But I always grow it out again because it's where my heart lies :)

Noppera-bo
July 22nd, 2016, 01:50 AM
http://65.media.tumblr.com/avatar_1511916b0fb5_128.png

Stray_mind
July 22nd, 2016, 04:53 AM
This is part of why i'm going for a chop, other than wanting something completely new for my overall look. I barely ever have my hair lose, because it's super tangly and it turns into a mess in a few minutes after i let it lose, so i sometimes think what's the point of having long hair if i have to keep it up all the time. I hate my hair lately and want to get rid of those terrible hennaed ends tbh. When i feel like it, i will grow it back, but for now - short life for my hair, Lol. :D

I know i won't regret it, since i've been thinking about cutting it off for a long time now.

Anya15
July 22nd, 2016, 05:01 AM
My hair tangles less even when loose ,now that I take good care of it. So upkeep isn't much of a problem. With my texture, short hair is a pain. It requires styling and turns greasy very quickly.

I sleep in braids or a bun, so in the morning I have to do very little to my hair! I run my fingers through it and re braid if its nearing wash day.

genlilliana
July 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Great responses! Thank you all! I think the one that hit the nail on the head said something along the lines of...hair blahs. I think that's what I was having. I took a long shower last night and washed my hair (it needed it!) and conditioned it and let it sit. It's back to being soft, manageable hair. Today it's down - this weekend will be braids. I'm glad I am not alone in having the occasional hair blahs.

Mamabearme
July 22nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
Every so often, usually on wash day, I wish I had super short hair. How much quicker I'd be done if it were short.......

Then I remember how much I enjoyed my own personal air conditioning last time I wore it down while it was still damp. :p

Stepo_NiNha
July 22nd, 2016, 09:24 AM
Ah no not really!! But my hair is not thick at all so maybe that's the reason I don't get tired of it XD

LadyCelestina
July 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Oh yes, I got annoyed with constantly having to protect it and it looking like crap most of the time anyway because of constant bunning/un-bunning and stretching washes (this was out of necessity as I lived in a very very cold apartment with no blowdryer) ... and then I cut it and enjoyed it a bit shorter. It was fun, but I didn't like the constant trimming and got excited anyway everytime I noticed growth :D ... so guess what - I grew it out again, but this time not worrying so much and caring more about how comfortable it is to wear and how it looks. Surprisingly, I didn't have much more damage.

A part of this is also that I don't go on LHC so much. Everytime I start visiting regularly, I feel like doing something to my hair.

Groovy Granny
July 22nd, 2016, 10:23 AM
Great responses! Thank you all! I think the one that hit the nail on the head said something along the lines of...hair blahs. I think that's what I was having. I took a long shower last night and washed my hair (it needed it!) and conditioned it and let it sit. It's back to being soft, manageable hair. Today it's down - this weekend will be braids. I'm glad I am not alone in having the occasional hair blahs.

That was me :o

When the hair blahs hit...get a new hair toy, trim a bit, try a new product....or just switch up your routine a bit; it will pass.

It is normal....we all get bored....pamper and have fun :thumbsup:
I use a different hair toy and style DAILY; that usually brightens my spirit.
Often at night I will pull a bunch of hair toys out and just style away for 15 minutes.
It helps to remind me of all the possibilities ....and keeps me from doing anything drastic :rollin:

Theobroma
July 22nd, 2016, 11:31 AM

Nope. Upkeep on long hair is so much simpler than with shorter hair! No need to spend ages styling it and making it look presentable, just throw it up in a bun and get on with your day. Half the reason I have my hair long is that shorter hair is too much work!

meteor
July 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
I wish I could say I never get tired of the upkeep, but, to be perfectly honest, sometimes I do. :oops:
BSL-TBL length range was really easy for me, but Mid-Thigh length is getting challenging for me personally. It's just the detangling, especially after-wash detangling, and all that drying time that seems to take forever, so sometimes I put it off by a day or do Scalp-Only washes instead just to save time.
I do think it's only a tiny inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but since I'm considering growing to Terminal or until I stop enjoying long hair or until I can no longer handle it, the upkeep might become an actual limitation at some point.

Goatcraft
July 22nd, 2016, 01:59 PM
I definitely find it exhausting. I'm also naturally curly, so it's a lot of extra care. I can't just 'wash and go'. I have to do a lot of conditioning, oiling, and overall maintenance before heading out (if I want it to look decent). I do, however, love the way long hair looks.. So I suck it up.

As for styles... I wear my hair up every single day. I fix it maybe once every two weeks to a month. The longer it gets, the less I want to deal with it. So I live in buns, sometimes braids.

truepeacenik
July 22nd, 2016, 08:55 PM
Isn't it though?
Ms Curly has a whirly and free, happy personality to go with it.

truepeacenik
July 22nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
I wish I could say I never get tired of the upkeep, but, to be perfectly honest, sometimes I do. :oops:
BSL-TBL length range was really easy for me, but Mid-Thigh length is getting challenging for me personally. It's just the detangling, especially after-wash detangling, and all that drying time that seems to take forever, so sometimes I put it off by a day or do Scalp-Only washes instead just to save time.
I do think it's only a tiny inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but since I'm considering growing to Terminal or until I stop enjoying long hair or until I can no longer handle it, the upkeep might become an actual limitation at some point.

I relate to this. It seems certain lengths need slightly different skills. Weirdly, what worked at, say waist works at past fingertip, but was useless in between. I'm assuming it's mathematical/proportional.

The only time I entertain cutting is if I get ill and don't get in a braid. That detangling session is the pits.

Hairkay
July 23rd, 2016, 02:38 AM
I've got my nieces visiting. One currently has waist length 3b/c thick hair that was cut back from mid thigh because it was too much for her mother to handle.

Daydreamer.
July 23rd, 2016, 02:49 AM
I definitely find it exhausting. I'm also naturally curly, so it's a lot of extra care. I can't just 'wash and go'. I have to do a lot of conditioning, oiling, and overall maintenance before heading out (if I want it to look decent). I do, however, love the way long hair looks.. So I suck it up. As for styles... I wear my hair up every single day. I fix it maybe once every two weeks to a month. The longer it gets, the less I want to deal with it. So I live in buns, sometimes braids. Same here. I'm a few inches past SL and detangling is such a hassle. I, too, live in braids and buns. I never had long hair, so I would like to see it long for once.

restless
July 23rd, 2016, 02:57 AM
Actually... no. My hair at almost-TBL requires way less attention and upkeep than my hair ever did at shoulder length. I can simply just wash with shampoo and conditioner, airdry, put it up in a bun and be done with it (and then drop the bun in the evening and get instant party hair with them bun waves if needed). Twice a week I do a DT with oils too and thats pretty much it.

When my hair was shoulder length however, I spent all this time on trying to tame it with blow drying, heat styling, hairspray, gels etc and it still wouldnt behave or look nice. But then again I wasnt hanging out in this place back then so I dont know what its like to have healthy, short hair.

HairPlease
July 23rd, 2016, 07:11 AM
Yes and no. The thing that irritates me most is letting it dry. Second place is any form of de-tangling. The rest is therapeutic joy.

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Yeah I do get tired of it, but then I just wear it up for awhile and do nothing (I usually do anyway). My hair isnt its longest right now, but this is what I did when it was below BSL

I guess I really dont get tired of it because I dont have a strict routine.

I had someone say to me once "Dont you just get sick of your hair sometimes and want to chop it all off?" Uhhh no. Why a permanent solution to a temporary problem?

Noppera-bo
July 27th, 2016, 06:25 PM
http://65.media.tumblr.com/avatar_1511916b0fb5_128.png

czech it out
July 27th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I get tired of GENTLY detangling. Sometimes all I want to do is just rip a brush or comb through like the good old days!

browneyedsusan
July 27th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Not yet!

I was pixied a REALLY long time, so this is a nice change. :)

trolleypup
July 27th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Not really...wash once a week, detangle now and then, put it up and away most of the time, but still ready for instant bun drop.

MidnightMoon
July 27th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Definitely... I'm lazy so untangling, bunning, combing, washing and dyeing can be boring, tiring and unappreciated tasks.

Carolyn
July 27th, 2016, 08:28 PM
No, I have never gotten tired of it. Sure I've done some cuts but they were all to get rid of layers, old high lights, or other damage. What I did get tired of was styling above bra length hair. When I had that length I was working and hadn't learned about hair toys and buns. My styling time back in those days was about 45 minutes to blow dry and use a flat iron or curling iron plus all the styling product required. Now I can air dry to what ever points it's at when I'm ready to leave the house and I can style it in 45 seconds, not 45 minutes. That kind of thing never gets old. The only thing that was kind of a chore was washing it sitting in the bathtub. I now have a shower and it's so simple to wash.

I don't get tired of it in the summer heat. I wash it and bun it up wet and I'm nice and cool. I can make the greasiest, sweatiest hair look good in a bun. What I can't do is make short sweaty or greasy hair look good.

missmelaniem
July 28th, 2016, 08:06 AM
I can make the greasiest, sweatiest hair look good in a bun. What I can't do is make short sweaty or greasy hair look good.

aint this the truth! at least for me... some people look really cute with the slicked back pixie though

kidari
July 30th, 2016, 05:45 PM
I got tired of trying to keep it extremely healthy at waist length and wearing it up all the time and obsessing about growth. I chopped to BSL and I never get tired of taking care of it because I'm always trimming back to BSL. However, I do get the itch to stop coloring my hair and grow it back out long and healthy again...

kyoung221
July 30th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I don't really get tired of it because it tends to be pretty low maintenance. I usually just wear it in a bun or a braid every day, and don't really do anything special in terms of caring for it. It's fun sometimes to try out new styles or a deep-conditioning treatment or something, but I never feel like I *have* to do any of that.