PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with hair that stays wet for a longtime

groovylocks
July 20th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I have been going tothe beach alot and rinsing my hair out after going in the ocean. it is awkward when Ihave to get changed and my hair is dripping wet and it leaves my lower back wet and damp for several hours.

I have one of those multipocket leather utility belts, it has some metal hardware on it, and after just a few wears, itis rusting.

I know this from my wet hair, is there a way to speed up its drying so it is at leastnot soaking through my shirt? I cant get to a hair dryer, my hair is long and wavy and I dont wantto damage it.

florenonite
July 20th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Do you put your hair up in a towel turban after you rinse it? I use a microfibre towel and put my hair up for at least fifteen minutes or so; it's the only thing that keeps my hair from soaking through my top after a wash.

Another option would be to try bunning it after you rinse it; it won't dry in a bun, but it will keep it contained and less drippy until you're in a position where you can wrap a towel round your shoulders and take it down.

Tosca
July 21st, 2016, 12:23 AM
Instead of wrapping my hair in a towel after I wash it, I've taken to bunning it and putting a hand towel around my neck to catch the water that runs down my neck. This makes it end up wet but not dripping. I take it down after a while and then sleep with it loose. By morning it is usually totally dry.

Zebra Fish
July 21st, 2016, 02:26 AM
I'm swimming almost every day (in the sea) and also don't like the feeling of wet back later in the evening. After rinsing I put my hair on my head and wrap it with a microfibre towel or an old T-shirt/pijamas (I don't twist the hair, just wrap around it). After few minutes, I redo the towel/shirt/pijamas so that the dry(-er) part (usualy is the one from the front) goes now back and soaks some more. No damage this way and, depeding on your hair, 5-15 minutes you have most of the water out, so you are not dripping. If going somewhere, I bun it. The downside is that when I unbunned it it is still wet (I usualy come from the beach around 8pm, so by then it is 10-12) and I go to sleep with wet hair. But with the tempretures now, I don't mind it. If I have some time before going somewhere, I let it air dry and then depends of what I'm doing/where I'm going. If I go to run/walk the dog, I bun it, If I go for a slow walk and icecream, let it loose.

lapushka
July 21st, 2016, 05:09 AM
Why not bun it before going swimming, not to get it wet in the first place? :)

Zebra Fish
July 21st, 2016, 07:39 AM
I oil it and bun it before swimming (if not it tangles with bikini) but I don't see the fun in turtle swimming (that's how SO and me call when you are trying not to wet your hair). I do it sometimes, but it is no fun. Jumping and diving, that's the point in sea :D

lapis_lazuli
July 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM
Personally, I twist my hair and use a clip to put it up so it can dry. May be worth a try? :)

lithostoic
July 21st, 2016, 09:36 AM
My hair takes ages to dry, so I squeeze out all the water I can with my hands. I don't wring/twist it, just smooth my palms down my scalp then squeeze my lengths hard. After that I pat dry my scalp hair with a towel and squeeze the lengths with it. Then I shake my head and fan my hair out with my hands periodically to make sure it's getting aired out.

Anje
July 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM
Like a lot of the others, I run my hands down my hair to squeeze out the excess water, but then I normally wrap it up in a towel. A T-shirt is supposed to be a good alternative for wrapping it up, if you want to preserve the waves better than a normal towel will do, and it'll pack down a lot smaller. Even just having it in there for a couple minutes while you're getting your clothes back on should help reduce the drips a lot. (I normally don't wear a towel for more than 10 minutes. Even that's enough that it's not leaving wet spots on my shirt after.)

vampyyri
July 21st, 2016, 11:53 AM
I squeeze the excess water out in the shower, and use a microfiber towel to squeeze out as much as I can. After that my hair doesn't drip anymore but is still damp, but dries within an hour or two.

Tassledown
August 2nd, 2016, 09:07 PM
Generally when I go out swimming, I have my hair up and leave it up until I get home and can shampoo/conditioner and dry it properly. It's just simpler for me. Squeezing out extra water and wearing things I don't mind getting wet are my other priorities. I will second the suggestion to wrap your hair up while you get dressed and for ten/fifteen after that to get rid of the worst of the dripping, though.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2016, 07:27 AM
I think I'd have much shorter hair if I lived near the sea. When I've been on vacation, most of the time I either oil or use a coney serum (the coney serum seems most protective), then braid my hair and leave it braided until I'm done playing in the sea or pool for the day. Then I take it out and wash it with diluted shampoo. I'm usually not bothered by wet hair hanging down my back if it's warm/hot weather.

Cherrys
August 3rd, 2016, 07:39 AM
Have you considered a swim cap? They make ones that are kind of "large capacity" if you have lots of hair. It's not perfect, my hair usually isn't bone dry when I take it off, but it's nowhere near soaking wet.

HairPlease
August 3rd, 2016, 08:31 AM
I just squeeze out the water a few times, blot it with a microfiber towel, and throw it over my shoulder. I'll shake it periodically to make sure air flow gets to the strands so it dries out quicker. It works.

Lavendersugar
August 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM
Like a lot of the others, I run my hands down my hair to squeeze out the excess water, but then I normally wrap it up in a towel. A T-shirt is supposed to be a good alternative for wrapping it up, if you want to preserve the waves better than a normal towel will do, and it'll pack down a lot smaller. Even just having it in there for a couple minutes while you're getting your clothes back on should help reduce the drips a lot. (I normally don't wear a towel for more than 10 minutes. Even that's enough that it's not leaving wet spots on my shirt after.)

This!!! A 100% cotton, bamboo or hemp shirt will work best. I squeeze out water, open up the bottom of the t-shirt and put my hair into the shirt. Wrapping up like it a towel. I'll even use the shirt to squeeze out water. My hair will dry really fast when I squeeze out water put it up in the towel for at least 5 minutes then squeeze with a towel.

Shepherdess
August 3rd, 2016, 11:41 AM
I do not swim in the ocean, though I do swim fairly often at lakes during the summer months, so I have a similar issue. I bought this swim cap and it helped for a time (it sometimes leaked a little bit, depending on how I would place my hair and tighten it, but my hair wasn't getting all soaked at least), though my cap is now coming apart in the back a little bit, so doesn't keep water out anymore when I stay under water, so I will probably need to replace it, but maybe there are better swim caps out there than this, though the large size made it one of the few that might work for my hair, plus the texture is much more gentle on the hair than some swim caps that I have tried in the past. http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-bubble-swim-cap-with-chin-strap-20738/?q=1&say I think I came by this type by a link from another LHCer some months ago, so that's how I got to trying it. :)

veex
August 3rd, 2016, 07:11 PM
Not sure if this is a option for you but maybe get your hair thinned out some, not any length cut off but just get some thickness removed.

Being a guy I've always had short hair but once I got my hair long enough (http://longhairformen.com/men-growing-longer-hair/) I started to feel the pain of most women trying to get their hair ready in the mornings. Having such thick hair I go about every 3 months to let my stylist thin it out a bit.

meteor
August 3rd, 2016, 07:32 PM
My hair takes ages to dry, too. One of the things I've been liking is, instead of doing a turban (my hair is too heavy and my towels/T-shirts too short for that), I wrap my length in a towel while holding the towel vertically - so basically, making a long towel tube/snake that I later just wrap around my neck. It distributes the weight and takes much less time to towel-dry this way and it helps avoid tangling because the hair isn't bunched up in turban shape.

If you swim a lot, it might be worth trying a special long-hair swim-cap and maybe even trying 2 swim caps: depending on how active you are in the water, this can help keep water out. And slathering hair in oil and/or conditioner pre-swim and using chelating (swimmers') shampoos, followed with moisturizing conditioners after can help quite a bit with preserving hair in good condition, too.