PDA

View Full Version : Self portraits - The how to take great photos of your hair thread!

Rhodugune
July 20th, 2016, 01:20 PM
A big part of tracking your progress growing your hair long and healthy is taking photos of it and it's not always easy when you have little or no experience taking photos and as you also need to take photos of the back of your head! :grin:
So it is just easier to learn on how to do it yourself instead of hoping to recruit a partner or a friend to help us out when ever we had a good hair day or want to share a new braid/bun we mastered.

What I do hope this thread will be is a support thread where we all can share our tips of how to take great photos and inspire each other to take loads of them, as I think I am not the only one to never get tired of seeing a thread saying: Warning pic heavy! :inlove:
That this thread can be a good one for those of us that are interested in learning from each other on to how take the best photos we can, no matter if we are using our phones or if we have access to a digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) camera.

So where to start?!

So these are some tips to get us started that have made me take better self portraits, having always enjoyed taking photos but being mostly self taught.

1.Take advantage of the timer setting
Most cameras on your phone or digital cameras has a timer and it is so so much easier getting a good photo, when you can put your phone/camera down and having the time to position yourself in front of it, not having to hold the phone/camera yourself when taking the photo.

You don't have to have a tripod for this, just place your phone/camera maybe on the windowsill, or on a bookshelf, a chair, just something that is at a good height.
In the past before I got a tripod I used to borrow this one from one of my flower pots, it's time to get creative!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Camera-and-phone_zpsarqe5e9b.jpg

2. Keep in mind that what angle and distance the photo is taken
This especially for length progress photos, so the photo shows your length accurately.
Changing the angle, how high/low the photo is taken and how far you are from the camera can really change how long/short your hair looks and if you don't take every length photo at the same angle and distance it can make it look as your hair as grown much less/more then it actually has, making it hard to track your progress and see from the photo how long it is at the moment.

To demonstrate, these are 2 failed photos I took the same day, but at different angles and distance, that really shows the importance of this.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Bad-angles_zps1uw6hmi0.jpg
1 photo is taken with the camera placed about waist high on me, but at the same time as I am not standing up straight and I'm also looking down slightly, making my hair look much shorter then it really is.
2 photo is taken a bit closer then the 1st one and also at a more of a downward angle, about the same height if I would have held the phone/camera in front of my face when taking the photo, making my hair look so much longer then it really is, making it impossible to tell how many inches I was from classic at the time, which was about 4 inches.

This is a photo I took with my Canon a few days later, me standing up straight, with a timer and having placed the camera on the tripod about waist high on me, showing the real length of my hair at the time:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/2015-08-nr2_zpssneduec1.jpg

2. The lighting/wb
For an example taking a photos late in the day or in a bathroom with no windows with just the light from a lamp or more, can really effect the colour of your hair, making it seem much cooler/warmer then it is.

It can look something like these failed photos:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/bad-lighting_zps1plvassn.jpg

You can often change the settings on your camera, also on your phone, to adjust the white balance to suit the lighting at the time, if it's indoor lighting, sunny or cloudy and so on.
So your photo taken with indoor lighting doesn't turn yellow like the one in the middle photo above, which is a common thing when using the auto setting for wb.

If indoors:
If you prefer skipping playing around with the WB(white balance) and instead just put it on auto, you can use natural light: which I've found gives the best chance getting photos with accurate colours, so it shows what your hair really looks like when it comes to colour.
So take the photo standing with your back against a window, with the light from outside falling through the window, but avoiding standing in direct sunlight as taking photos in often creates very dark shadows and it also can make anything that is light in colour just turn completely white.

If outside:
As boring as it sounds, avoid that part of the day when the sun is the most bright/sunny and again avoid direct sunlight to not get those sharp shadows and having anything light in colour turn just white.

Some failed photos of mine, not taking my own advice. hehe
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/bright-light_zpsbawaaxhv.jpg

I hope I have explained things in a good way so it's easy to understand, but if I haven't, please please let me know if I need to clarify some things and I know we have some very talented photographers here and I hope you will share the smart tips you must have and fill in what I missed and so on.

These are 2 bonus photos I took with the help of the timer on my camera about a month ago, as I wanted to show you the freedom it gives not having to hold the camera yourself or having someone else do it for you to be able to take a great photo.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/In-the-river2_zpsq6fz4nxe.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/In-the-river_zpsq1c7h12b.jpg

Other awesome tips:
Silverbleed:
I am currently using red crosses of tape placed on my wall and floor. This way I'll always be able to place the tripod on the right spot and I'll be looking at the red cross to make sure my head is not tilted or anything c:

missrandie:
I tape my phone to the sliding door at the sharpie mark I've drawn, then stand the same distance (3 feet) from my camera staring at my calendar. Lol.

Also, I have a voice capture function on my phone, so when I'm set, I yell "CHEESE!" and it takes!

trolleypup:
Yes! Other types of remotes!

With an DSLR, wired or infra-red remotes may be inexpensive...of course, the least expensive cameras have the least capability of using a remote.

Many digital cameras these days have wifi functions...get the companion app on your phone, and now you can view what your camera sees before triggering the shutter! Most of my outdoor pictures are taken using this method.

The further you can get your camera from your hair, the more correct the length will appear (parallax blahblahblah)

Use the highest quality available on whatever camera you use.

If you want to bring out your silvers, I recommend outdoor dusk...and for shine, flash brings it out.

ETA: my sig pic was taken in full sun in the late afternoon on a still cold day, the sun is only a little bit away from straight on (less than the shadow on the tufa appears).

Chromis:
When I just had a point and shoot, I found that the self-timer works best if it has something to focus on. Common recommendations are a big stuffed animal or a music stand. I used my coat rack xD

leilan
July 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, Rhodugune! I found your advice very helpful! I very rarely take hair photos, because they never turn out well. I'll be trying some soon with your advice.

Also, I love love love the last two photos of you in the water! Absolutely gorgeous!!

lapis_lazuli
July 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM
What a great idea for a tread! :D Those are lovely water photos! I also rarely take hair pics but I feel inspired by yours :)

Rhodugune
July 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, Rhodugune! I found your advice very helpful! I very rarely take hair photos, because they never turn out well. I'll be trying some soon with your advice.

Also, I love love love the last two photos of you in the water! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Oh thank you, would love if you felt like posting some of the photos taking my advice and I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed my last two photos, thank you. :)

What a great idea for a tread! :D Those are lovely water photos! I also rarely take hair pics but I feel inspired by yours :)
It really makes me glad to hear that and please share your photos here as well, looking forward to see what you'll come up with and thank you for your kind words about my photos.

Ophidian
July 20th, 2016, 01:43 PM
This is great! I've been trying to take monthly length photos but could never quite get the angle right. I've always done it with my back the the bathroom mirror and tried to take a pic over my shoulder under flourescent lighting. This has not yielded very consistent results and I very much appreciate the new ideas ;).

Also, I want to chime in and say that your river pictures are so gorgeous!! You look so graceful and water-nymph-y.

Silverbleed
July 20th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I am currently using red crosses of tape placed on my wall and floor. This way I'll always be able to place the tripod on the right spot and I'll be looking at the red cross to make sure my head is not tilted or anything c:

missmagoo
July 20th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I agree great idea for a thread! I think I broke all of the rules in my sig picture! Must retake soon :)

ephemeri
July 20th, 2016, 05:51 PM
This is an amazing thread! Thank you so much for posting this Rhodugune! This is so helpful and omg those photos of you in the water are absolutely stunning. :thud:

ephemeri
July 20th, 2016, 05:51 PM

This is an incredibly smart piece of advice. I need to get around to doing something similar. I've just been avoiding taking photos of my hair because I don't want to be disappointed lol.... Thanks for sharing!

school of fish
July 20th, 2016, 07:03 PM
EXCELLENT thread idea! Yes I yelled that because it's just so EXCELLENT!!! :D :D :D

missrandie
July 20th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I tape my phone to the sliding door at the sharpie mark I've drawn, then stand the same distance (3 feet) from my camera staring at my calendar. Lol.

Also, I have a voice capture function on my phone, so when I'm set, I yell "CHEESE!" and it takes!

trolleypup
July 20th, 2016, 07:45 PM

With an DSLR, wired or infra-red remotes may be inexpensive...of course, the least expensive cameras have the least capability of using a remote.

Many digital cameras these days have wifi functions...get the companion app on your phone, and now you can view what your camera sees before triggering the shutter! Most of my outdoor pictures are taken using this method.

The further you can get your camera from your hair, the more correct the length will appear (parallax blahblahblah)

If you want to bring out your silvers, I recommend outdoor dusk...and for shine, flash brings it out.

ETA: my sig pic was taken in full sun in the late afternoon on a still cold day, the sun is only a little bit away from straight on (less than the shadow on the tufa appears).

Chromis
July 20th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Remotes for most dSLR cameras can be had for cheap off of places like Deal Extreme, who ship them direct from China. They were made there anyhow, so might as well! They will be off-brand, but might well be made in the same factory. I have two of them in case one runs out of batteries, but that has not been an issue. I use them for all my hair shots as well as things like fireworks where I don't want to touch the camera and introduce any shake.

If the time you have is midday and the light outside is harsh, that is usually when it is brightest indoors!

When I just had a point and shoot, I found that the self-timer works best if it has something to focus on. Common recommendations are a big stuffed animal or a music stand. I used my coat rack xD

althara
July 21st, 2016, 12:56 AM
These are some great tips. I'm sure my husband will be relieved if I can make these work for me. He definitely doesn't understand the appeal of Internet forums, or taking pictures to post on said forums.

Johannah
July 21st, 2016, 02:26 AM
Aha I love this thread!! Great idea!! And your hair is stunning :thudpile:

TatsuOni
July 21st, 2016, 06:48 AM
Great tips and pictures!:)

I put my camera in a "bookshelf" that has a mirror. Then I put on the timer on a longer setting and back away until I'm at the right distance and angle before I turn:)

Rhodugune
July 21st, 2016, 07:20 AM
This is great! I've been trying to take monthly length photos but could never quite get the angle right. I've always done it with my back the the bathroom mirror and tried to take a pic over my shoulder under flourescent lighting. This has not yielded very consistent results and I very much appreciate the new ideas ;).

Also, I want to chime in and say that your river pictures are so gorgeous!! You look so graceful and water-nymph-y.

Good luck in taking new photos and I hope you will find it much easier getting good and accurate ones this time and thank you, really glad to hear that you enjoy my river photos.

What and awesome tip, thank you for sharing! :flowers:
Just the thing I hope we could share with each other here.

I agree great idea for a thread! I think I broke all of the rules in my sig picture! Must retake soon :)
So glad to hear that it helped you and I'm looking forward to see the photos you will take in the future. :D

This is an amazing thread! Thank you so much for posting this Rhodugune! This is so helpful and omg those photos of you in the water are absolutely stunning. :thud:
It really warms my heart to hear that you think so, so thank you for letting me know, as it feels great to be able to give something back to this community that has been so good to me in so many ways. :hollie:

EXCELLENT thread idea! Yes I yelled that because it's just so EXCELLENT!!! :D :D :D
Thank you for being so sweet, reading this really made my heart smile. :blossom:

Rhodugune
July 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM

That is just awesome, have to look if I can get that for my phone too, so thank you for tipping us of about that! :flower:

So glad to see you here sharing what you know about photography, great tips! :flowers:

Remotes for most dSLR cameras can be had for cheap off of places like Deal Extreme, who ship them direct from China. They were made there anyhow, so might as well! They will be off-brand, but might well be made in the same factory. I have two of them in case one runs out of batteries, but that has not been an issue. I use them for all my hair shots as well as things like fireworks where I don't want to touch the camera and introduce any shake.

If the time you have is midday and the light outside is harsh, that is usually when it is brightest indoors!

I do sort of the same thing, I use dustpan/brushstand with a shirt over it to see where to focus needs to be when taking photos using the timer on my camera. :D

These are some great tips. I'm sure my husband will be relieved if I can make these work for me. He definitely doesn't understand the appeal of Internet forums, or taking pictures to post on said forums.

I hope you will be able to make it work, so you don't have to cut things short as your photographer wants to do something else and can just enjoy yourself taking as many photos as you like!

Aha I love this thread!! Great idea!! And your hair is stunning :thudpile:
So good to hear and thank you!

Great tips and pictures!:)

I put my camera in a "bookshelf" that has a mirror. Then I put on the timer on a longer setting and back away until I'm at the right distance and angle before I turn:)

That is clever of you, thanks for sharing!

H o n є y ❤
July 22nd, 2016, 07:56 AM
Wow! Great tips. Thanks so much for making this thread!

naturalambition
July 22nd, 2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tips, I Will try them today :)

Rhodugune
July 22nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Wow! Great tips. Thanks so much for making this thread!
You are very welcome and I hope you will find the tips helpful when taking photos.

Thanks for the tips, I Will try them today :)
I'm glad and please post the result here if you feel like it. :D

Silverbleed
July 22nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
[...]
What and awesome tip, thank you for sharing! :flowers:
Just the thing I hope we could share with each other here.

[...]

Feel free to add it to the front page if you'd like c: In case some people read over my comment but could use it as well.

Rhodugune
July 25th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Feel free to add it to the front page if you'd like c: In case some people read over my comment but could use it as well.

Just did, so people won't miss yours and other member's excellent tips! :blossom:

MsPharaohMoan
July 26th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Should be an article!

Rhodugune
July 31st, 2016, 11:57 AM
Should be an article!

Thank you for saying so. :flowers:

Here are some more examples of photos you can take on your own.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Covered-in-hair_zpsonvrnlxo.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Alter-ego_zps0xwipncw.jpg

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23534&d=1466015479

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Mayas-haringr-o-houmlsten3_zpswzuylcpd.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/In-red5_zpsejs0mwx9.jpg

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19998&d=1448309021

Orca
July 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Wonderful thread and thank you for sharing your tips! Goodbye awkward arm's length selfies :waving:

trolleypup
July 31st, 2016, 02:42 PM
Wandering through Walgreens, I saw selfie remotes by the checkout, paired with tripod-like smartphone holders...

Wildcat Diva
July 31st, 2016, 03:27 PM
I agree about the excellent idea for a thread comment.

kyoung221
July 31st, 2016, 04:11 PM
I'm so glad I saw this thread! One of the photos showed the smartphone leaning against a standing photo frame, which is a neat idea. I'm going to give that a try.

HeavenlyTresses
August 1st, 2016, 12:36 PM
Rhodugune What a wonderful thread and such beautiful pictures! I think for every good picture I have taken, I have at least 20 failures. Thank goodness for digital cameras! I use to have trouble using my cell phone for pictures as it always tipped over or was too far forward or backward. I started putting it in a heavy coffee mug to keep it straight and stable. Now I need to figure out how to use the voice activation for my phone because sometimes 10 seconds is just not enough time to get in position for a good shot. I don't know how many times I jumped in and out of this truck and the lighting still isn't that great. Haha, maybe we should start a thread of epic timer fails, I have plenty of those :lol:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/Godiva97/HeavenlyTresses/3.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Godiva97/media/HeavenlyTresses/3.jpg.html)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 29th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I am so glad I came across this thread, as I am struggling to get a good shot of my hair. Thank you for all the advise. This is going to make it easier. Hopefully I shall be able to take good photos soon. Thank you for sharing. Your hair looks beautiful in your pictures and such awesome length. Thank you LHC

Horrorpops
August 29th, 2016, 12:22 AM
What a fabulous thread, you literally covered everything that goes into taking successful length shots!! This would have been so helpful to me as a new member... I almost wish it could be stickied to be able to benefit new members for the years to come!!

The two pics you added at the end of you in the water are just gorgeous by the way! :o

Sapeli
August 29th, 2016, 01:55 AM
As a newbie this is really a good piece of advice. I have tried to take a couple of photos (with all possible mistakes :p)to be able to show my progress later on. Now I try it all again! BTW amazing pics and amazing heads of hair in this thread!

littlestarface
August 29th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Rhodugune What a wonderful thread and such beautiful pictures! I think for every good picture I have taken, I have at least 20 failures. Thank goodness for digital cameras! I use to have trouble using my cell phone for pictures as it always tipped over or was too far forward or backward. I started putting it in a heavy coffee mug to keep it straight and stable. Now I need to figure out how to use the voice activation for my phone because sometimes 10 seconds is just not enough time to get in position for a good shot. I don't know how many times I jumped in and out of this truck and the lighting still isn't that great. Haha, maybe we should start a thread of epic timer fails, I have plenty of those :lol:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/Godiva97/HeavenlyTresses/3.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Godiva97/media/HeavenlyTresses/3.jpg.html)

Oh my gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is theeeeeeeee most beautiful hair... :thud:I died :thud:

HeavenlyTresses
August 30th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Thank you littlestarface :) I told my husband he needs to keep that truck forever so I can keep taking pictures with it. I will make a 2016 update with it as soon at it's not 100 degrees here every day :D

littlestarface
August 30th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Thank you littlestarface :) I told my husband he needs to keep that truck forever so I can keep taking pictures with it. I will make a 2016 update with it as soon at it's not 100 degrees here every day :D

Loool I'm feelin ya it's the same here everyday. Tell him you match the truck perfectly so he has to keep it forever, it fits your hair just right hahaha.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
August 30th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Please share how you upload photos. I need to get my profile picture up as well as share my current hair length ...

Pol
August 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM
Thank you so much for this thread and all the responses. My hair photos are pretty terrible, so I'm definitely going to start paying more attention to them. I think it can be a really nice way to appreciate your hair and feel good about yourself... but only if the photos look nice of course! Thank you again, I look forward to putting these tips into action :)

Anje
August 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM
Please share how you upload photos. I need to get my profile picture up as well as share my current hair length ...

Easiest way is to use an external site as a photo host, because the internal one is weird. (Our site has also lost photos before when servers were upgraded, so I wouldn't recommend relying on it as your sole backup of your images.) Once you've uploaded it to the web, you simply paste the photo URL between BBCode image tags, like this without the spaces:
[ IMG ] http://www.photohost.com/yadayada/bunchofnumbers.jpg [ /IMG ]

There's a link to a thread with more detailed instructions in my sig.

Mooihaar
August 31st, 2016, 02:21 PM

Wauw!!!
You have really awesome hair!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 1st, 2016, 02:10 AM
Easiest way is to use an external site as a photo host, because the internal one is weird. (Our site has also lost photos before when servers were upgraded, so I wouldn't recommend relying on it as your sole backup of your images.) Once you've uploaded it to the web, you simply paste the photo URL between BBCode image tags, like this without the spaces:
[ IMG ] http://www.photohost.com/yadayada/bunchofnumbers.jpg [ /IMG ]

There's a link to a thread with more detailed instructions in my sig.

Thank you, Anje. I am most appreciative of your help

baggs30
March 5th, 2021, 05:35 PM
I have not taken length photos yet, but will start taking them tomorrow. This was super helpful and I cant wait to use your tips. Thank you soo much for sharing!

Bat
March 6th, 2021, 01:50 AM
This is super helpful!

tuanyiji
October 1st, 2022, 09:02 PM
Here’s my tip with iPhone, the quality of the camera on the back is way better than the one on the front so I almost never take a selfie in the traditional way, and make sure your head is in the middle of the frame, go to setting and turn on the grid which divides your screen into 9 squares.
On top of a tripod, a clean backdrop, and good lighting, when you want to take a picture of the back of your head, you can test it by filming the process, look left and right, up and down, see if there’s something amiss: hairlines not so neat, weird angles, etc, you can also narrate the position of where you’re standing or looking, the relative reference points, for example, I will say, now I am standing three feet from the tripod, looking at the window/mirror/that red vase etc, then I take a step forward or backward for better close-up, so that when you take the photo you have a better idea of what the image would look like. You can set a timer or use bluetooth technique to take photos, I normally just screencap the video for the optimal photo angles, then I crop the images into squares and grid them, that’s why I always have 9 angles for one single bun.
Place a lamp in front of your face actually helps the whole image. So even against a pure black backdrop, my black hair still pops up. And what makes a bun neater is not just a mist of water, but also the baby flyaways, the contrast is what sets the vibe different.
Stand up tall and proud, show your neck, you can see the difference here. A long neck and a bit of shoulder (but not too much) always compliments the bun best.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1025444237136904242/IMG_1302.png
Here’s the whole image, see my head is in the middle, slightly upward from the central point but not on the top? That’s because iPhone’s camera setting would elongate objects on the top and the bottom, thus distorting the ratio.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1025965949251235880/IMG_1330.png
If you have an iWatch, you can sync the phone and the watch to see it happens in real time and take pictures/videos at the optimal angle.