PDA

View Full Version : Scalp issues I would like to solve..

shaded in gray
July 19th, 2016, 11:05 AM
So I've had this issue for as long as I can remember now (realistically, past couple of years) that I can't seem to solve. My scalp is sensitive and will develop this white powder like substance that I can see if I lightly scratch my scalp. It is most prevalent a day or two+ after a wash. Right now I am using mostly conditioner only washes with an occasional shampoo. I use a Giovanni's conditioner for the first rinse and then a Whole Blends conditioner for the second. The first conditioner is cone free and the second does contain amodimethicone.

I have tried switching products around and wash frequency to see if it helps. Conventional products do seem to aggravate it more. The only product that seemed to calm it down was the Hair Dance shampoo which is super natural, but it's not very good for my length and my water type. I have to rinse with bottled water and ACV and I can't always get consistent results. The time it worked for my hair was before I dyed it most recently so I assume this product is just a no-go on my slightly damaged length at the moment.

Any suggestions for things to try?

lapushka
July 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I'd leave your scalp alone for as long as you can, then have your doctor take a look.

It could be normal. Do you only get this when you scratch? Does it appear immediately and at the lightest touch; is it *very* noticeable or are we talking a light coating (because that is normal).

hobbitlocks
July 19th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I think I have something similar. If I really look hard, I can see it on the first day, but it's more obvious the longer it's been since my wash. Even then, since it's so powder like, you would only notice it if you were really staring at my hair near my roots. I've tried a bunch of things -- more washes, less washes, diluted washes, tea tree oil, etc. But nothing really worked. I had a dermatologist appointment (for other things) today so I asked her about it and she told me to try using a dandruff shampoo. It doesn't really seem like classic dandruff, so I hadn't thought to try that, but she gave me some samples so I'm going to try some. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Curly276mom
July 20th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I had that using co too (I took the leap into water only recently). And if I accidentally got any leaving product on my scalp I would get even more flakes. Some home remedies that helped for me were applying acv directly to the scalp with a cotton ball, drying and rinsing. I also had really good success with yogurt scalp masks to promote the probiotics in my scalp microbiome (if you google scalp microbiome there is some interesting new research on the role of bacteria in scalp health). Also, part of the water only routine is daily scalp massage, which helps keep things moving. I hope you find something that helps you.

shaded in gray
July 20th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys! I don't think it looks like classic dandruff either as it doesn't "flake" and I can't see it on my clothes or on my hair or anything.

I have to use my fingernails to lightly scratch the surface of my scalp and I will get this powder under my nails. You cannot see it when just looking at my hair or even when parting my hair to look at my scalp. It's odd.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I think that's normal...

Silverbrumby
July 20th, 2016, 11:17 AM
So long as your not getting hot spots or excess shedding it's fine. Lot's can't do CO washings. If you use shampoo you can condition the majority of your hair before you shampoo to protect it from the poo.

Anje
July 20th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I think some powder is normal. I get that too. Just skin cells and such that didn't get scrubbed off and haven't collected fresh sebum yet.

shaded in gray
July 20th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Is it normal for it to increase the longer I stretch my washes? The more I read on here, the more it seems that this is normal and that I am trying to fix nothing, haha.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Is it normal for it to increase the longer I stretch my washes? The more I read on here, the more it seems that this is normal and that I am trying to fix nothing, haha.

Yes! Sebum builds up the more you don't wash.

trolleypup
July 20th, 2016, 07:30 PM
What I have found that helps with preventing scalp anger (which includes something like what you describe) is first avoiding getting products on my scalp as much as possible (or rinsing very well), and then finishing with a strong vinegar rinse (1:4 or so) that is rinsed out with cool water (I use white vinegar, and get a little vinegar scent as my hair dries). If I don't do it, I get scalp anger in a day or few, so the results are pretty quick for me.

Your results will probably vary, of course. Scalps tend to be even more individual than hair!

shaded in gray
July 21st, 2016, 07:49 AM
What I have found that helps with preventing scalp anger (which includes something like what you describe) is first avoiding getting products on my scalp as much as possible (or rinsing very well), and then finishing with a strong vinegar rinse (1:4 or so) that is rinsed out with cool water (I use white vinegar, and get a little vinegar scent as my hair dries). If I don't do it, I get scalp anger in a day or few, so the results are pretty quick for me.

Your results will probably vary, of course. Scalps tend to be even more individual than hair!

Do you use any products on your scalp for cleaning or do you only rinse? I've done ACV rinses before and they seemed to help. I've also thought about going back to my super natural ACV based "shampoo" for my scalp only and continuing to use my normal conditioners on my length. That's something I haven't tried yet. :)

trolleypup
July 21st, 2016, 05:26 PM
Do you use any products on your scalp for cleaning or do you only rinse? I've done ACV rinses before and they seemed to help. I've also thought about going back to my super natural ACV based "shampoo" for my scalp only and continuing to use my normal conditioners on my length. That's something I haven't tried yet. :)
I dilute my shampoo fairly heavily, so some soaks into the scalp, but I follow the shampoo step with a water jet rinse...strong enough to feel like a scalp massage (I dunno, call it a power rinse) that gets rid of the shampoo and seems to wash out any scalp debris. I try to only get the diluted conditioner on my hair, and follow that with the vinegar.