PDA

View Full Version : (*pics included*) teen girl in desperate plea for hair help

Sadhippo
July 18th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone, for the past seven years (since 2009) I have suffered from my poofy, frizzy, dry, crunchy, lifeless, limp, "broomstick hair". Before I hit puberty in 2009, my hair was silky straight, smooth, shiny - otherwise known as typical "Asian hair". After I get out from the shower, that's when my hair is the most puffy, dry and frizzy. It usually takes a few days for my hair to get manageable and less dry. As a result, throughout most of high school, I've put my hair up in a sleek bun. I'm so sick of this hairstyle and I finally want to let my hair down and free again! I have absolutely no clue how to manage my hair anymore, and I've tried almost every trick in the book. Last, year I even went as far as cutting my hair in a boy-like pixie cut to cut off my dry frizzy dead ends! Still, my hair was the same as it was before!

Please note:
- I seldom curl or straighten my hair with heat
- I have never coloured my hair
- I don't wash my hair every day
- I wash may hair with cold water
- I air dry (no towel)
- I use hair masks
- I've tried no-poo

Guys, please help me. I have such low-self esteem when I see other girls with long sleek hair! Is it my genetics that causes this kind of hair? Or because of hormonal changes from puberty??

http://imgur.com/Klk9p4Z
http://imgur.com/Bns0O64

Sadhippo
July 18th, 2016, 08:18 PM
http://imgur.com/Bns0O64

http://imgur.com/Klk9p4Z

spidermom
July 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM
You have to upload your pictures to a site like photobucket before you can post the image here.

Some thoughts: Your hair is more wavy or curly than you know. When you comb and brush wavy to curly hair too much, you disrupt the wave pattern and cause frizz. Try washing then conditioning your hair and letting it dry without doing anything else to it. Post a picture here. When you transfer a picture from Photobucket to here, using the line of code that includes the letters IMG; copy and paste.

Do a deep moisture treatment on a regular basis. If hair tends to be dry, you can't cure it; you have to maintain it with moisture treatments. My hair loves coconut oil and aloe vera, also over-the-counter moisture treatments. I am soon going to treat it to a Joico KPak Reconstructing masque because I think it could benefit from some protein, too.

turtlelover
I can't see your photos.

Sadhippo
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Bns0O64"><a href="//imgur.com/Bns0O64">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Klk9p4Z"><a href="//imgur.com/Klk9p4Z">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lapis_lazuli
July 18th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Still doesn't seem to be working... you have to take the IMG link when you share the photos :)

Sadhippo
July 18th, 2016, 08:29 PM
https://s32.postimg.org/ppmsswj9h/Screen_Shot_2016_07_18_at_10_06_51_PM.png (https://postimg.org/image/pcvemq0zl/)images upload (https://postimage.org/)

https://s32.postimg.org/p82or8z0l/Screen_Shot_2016_07_18_at_10_07_00_PM.png (https://postimg.org/image/50p8yy1j5/)photoupload (https://postimage.org/)

lithostoic
July 18th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I second your hair being more textured than you think especially after seeing those pics.

pailin
July 18th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I don't know your hairtype very well, although I do know girls here with hair that looks like yours. Since it seems dry to you, and it's frizzy, then I would think you need more moisture. Deep treatments, heavy conditioners, maybe oils? Also is it possible that your hair is low porosity? There are tests for this, but they're not necessarily very reliable. But people with really low porosity hair tend to find that it's difficult to moisturize and they need heat to make it work. You might try combining heat with a deep conditioner; it would help even if your hair is normal porosity too.

turtlelover
July 18th, 2016, 08:43 PM
It look very thick and looks like it has a lot of potential if you figure out what its texture wants to do and the right cut and products to bring out its good qualities. :-) Please don't be sad about your hair!

Silverbrumby
July 18th, 2016, 08:50 PM
What is in the Hair Masks? Protein? If so then you have the answer to the dry hair mystery.

CurlyBrunette
July 18th, 2016, 08:52 PM
You are most likely overdoing it with proteins in your deep treatments when you really need ingredients to moisturizer. Also, like another poster said, do not brush your hair when you get out of the shower. You should only be combing conditioner into your hair in the shower. The less you tech your hair when it's drying the better.

nekosan
July 18th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Puberty can change your hair; my older sister's hair went from 2a to 1b.

I don't know much about hair, but I would guess extra moisture. Say, a tiny dab of coconut oil on the ends after towel-drying.

Hang in there; things get better, I promise. My teenage years were the absolute worst.

Sadhippo
July 18th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Hi, thank you for responding! I only finger comb my hair out of the shower, never with a comb. And I probably only do my deep treatments like once a month.

pailin
July 18th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Not using a comb or brush may help or not; it doesn't hurt to experiment. But you could definitely try doing deep treatments more often. And do check your ingredients on shampoo/conditioner / deep treatment - if they contain protein, try something without protein. Protein is amazing for some people and it can be moisturizing, but for some people, too much of it makes their hair dry and tangly. My hair doesn't care- I can use as much or as little as I want- but it really varies according to the person.

Silverbrumby
July 18th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Hi, thank you for responding! I only finger comb my hair out of the shower, never with a comb. And I probably only do my deep treatments like once a month.

What is in the Masks or what brand is it?

Anya15
July 18th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I think you might have some waves or texture hiding in there.

Sadhippo
July 18th, 2016, 09:08 PM
It's from Sally beauty, called Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-mayonnaise/SBS-311021,default,pd.html

Ophidian
July 18th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Just speaking from personal experience, new LHC-ers get so much great info from people who have been around a while that it's easy (as a noob) to want to try ALL THE THINGS! But then it's hard to tell what's working and what's not. So what helped me in the beginning (and I'm still pretty new here) was to make a list of things to try, but only try them one at a time and take notes so I could figure out what was making a difference.

Just my two cents, but that advice definitely helped me troubleshoot more effectively. Oh, and welcome to the boards! :flower:

Agnieszka
July 19th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Is it just me but I see first couple of inches smooth and the rest frizzy. Would it be possible that your hair type has changed about 6 months ago or the bottom is damaged from straightening? If it was my hair I would clarify, moisture wirh conditioner maybe even twice, put some drop of oil in it and put it up and keep doing it for about two years until it's in decent length. Perhaps try peacock twist or some braid.

lapushka
July 19th, 2016, 04:16 AM
I suspect that is hair in the 2 region. Judging from the texture. Try washing it, detangling it in the shower with conditioner running through it. Then rinse, then do not touch with a comb or brush after that. Just pat dry with a towel and let it dry. Take a picture again, and let us see. You might be more wavy then you think. And you can't treat wavy hair as straight.

I went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty too, and I recognize that texture back when I still "thought" it was straight and treated it as such.

Johannah
July 19th, 2016, 04:16 AM

Aha I've used this one as well. Why? Because it contains quite some protein! Thing is, my hair loves protein. But if yours doesn't, that's probably the cause.

Stop using it, now. I'd suggest to clarify your hair (that means: use an SLS-shampoo without cones on roots AND ends). After that, use a good moisturizing conditioner and leave it in for as long as possible (that means: for at least an hour, even longer!). A lot of people have really good results with Hello Hydratation from Herbal Essences, so you might want to check that out.

I have some questions:
When your hair was 'normal', did you use this mask as well? What did you use?
How many times do you wash your hair? What products you use? How do you wash your hair?
What other masks do you use? What conditioner do you use? Do you use leave-ins? Did you ever try oil?

DarkChocolate
July 19th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Your hair looks so thick!! Have you tried aloe vera gel or coconut oil?

I wonder what would happen as your hair gets longer. It might smooth again.

reilly0167
July 19th, 2016, 11:14 AM
You are most likely overdoing it with proteins in your deep treatments when you really need ingredients to moisturizer. Also, like another poster said, do not brush your hair when you get out of the shower. You should only be combing conditioner into your hair in the shower. The less you tech your hair when it's drying the better.
I agree with this, use a moisturizing conditioner, Shea moisture is a good start. It looks like your hair is more on the curly side, when you apply conditioner detangle gently with a wide tooth comb then rinse,( this is the only time your hair touches a comb) rinse just enough to leave a bit on, like watered down conditioner leave in, then blot dry do not ruffle let air dry, scrunch as it dries, use styling product or oil to the ends. have a feeling that once you find what works for you it will look like a cute curly bob. I know how you feel, growing up I wanted what the other girls had, its because I didn't know how to manage and take care of my hair, I wish there was internet back then (yes I'm showing my age, lol) with LHC waiting in the wings, it took a lot of trials and errors for me back then but lucky you the forums and us are here for you.

Silverbrumby
July 19th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Please keep us updated and STOP the masks. Too much protein. I'd recommend
Neutrogena Deep Recovery Hair Mask Clean Replenishing from Safeway or CVS, Amazon. It's amazing at helping my hair get over the protein overload. Leave it on an hour with towel wrapped around head.

Please, please post update. You have fab. hair that has a ton of potential.

Aha I've used this one as well. Why? Because it contains quite some protein! Thing is, my hair loves protein. But if yours doesn't, that's probably the cause.

Stop using it, now. I'd suggest to clarify your hair (that means: use an SLS-shampoo without cones on roots AND ends). After that, use a good moisturizing conditioner and leave it in for as long as possible (that means: for at least an hour, even longer!). A lot of people have really good results with Hello Hydratation from Herbal Essences, so you might want to check that out.

I have some questions:
How many times do you wash your hair? What products you use? How do you wash your hair?
What other masks do you use? What conditioner do you use? Do you use leave-ins? Did you ever try oil?

littlestarface
July 19th, 2016, 11:57 AM

Are you applying heat when you use this? Also you can do moisture/protein treatments much more then 1 a month. I do them every week when I wash my hair.

Your hair strands looks coarse and looks like there might be some waves.

Calaelen
July 19th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Hairstylist here. First of after seeing your pics i agree that you have quite a bit of texture in your hair, and that it looks and most likely is high porosity. The mask you're using has several ingredients in it that are not ideal for your hair type and its current needs. The first is major protein a lot of it, and the second is olive oil. Olive oil can definitely creat the crunchy frizz your experiencing, on certain hair types.

Can you explain the rest of your haircare routine? The frequency with which you wash, condition, and do a hair treatment?

To start i would look for a good clarifying shampoo and buy some apple cider vinegar too. Get a totally clear transparent shampoo two i like are neutrogena anti residue shampoo, and Pantene deep cleanse. Wash with whichever clarifying shampoo you choose. Rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar in water 2tbsp vinegar to 2 cups water, then rinse again with just cool water. Do not add addtitional pruducts just air dry and see the result.

The next wash i would repeat the process exactly as before but follow up with a cone free, protein free moisture conditioner mostly rinse it out and air dry.

If you can provide pics after each of those, we will get a better idea of what to recommend. :) you have hair that is going to be stunning and the envy of others once you figure out an optimal routine.

I am thinking two methods you might find good results with would be conditoner only washing, or curly girl methods. But first you have to clearify so we can see what you get.

WinnieCooper
July 19th, 2016, 03:00 PM
My hair is similar to yours...by the way, I can tell you are beautiful! Did you by chance move to a different home since your hair change? When I moved from the city with its wonderfully soft water to the country with terrible hard well water, my hair started looking a bit like yours does now. I figured out a system with a vinegar rinse that seems to be working for me... But I'm new here so maybe don't take my advice yet !!! You have some nice thick hair there... Don't hate it yet... And let me give you a piece of advice... When I was young I wanted the thinner straighter more "white" hair... But now that I'm 40 my hair is still very thick but not as thick as it was...and I look younger than most my age. Its because of my thick hair!. You'll be glad for it someday...and it comes sooner than you expect!!!

WinnieCooper
July 19th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Aloe Vera works good for my similar hair type!

Sadhippo
July 19th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Hi WinnieCooper, thanks for replying! I've always lived in the city since I was born.

Sadhippo
July 19th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Hi Calaelen, thanks for replying! :)

Well I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Forever Smooth shampoo and conditioner and sometimes Marc Anthony's Coconut Oil and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner. Basically I shampoo and condition with cold water and then put the ORS Hair Mayonnaise conditioning treatment. I put a shower cap on, and put my head under a salon-like standing hair dryer for about and hour, then rinse with cold water. Then I leave my hair to air dry.. and that's it? Should I put oil or some sort of cream??

However I only do ORS like once a month. I only wash my hair like max 2x a week because it get really dry whenever I do wash it. Is that enough info?

Sadhippo
July 19th, 2016, 03:55 PM

I have some questions:

When my hair was "normal", I literally just washed and go. no masks, or leave-in conditioners or oils whatsoever. I wash my hair max 2x a week because it gets really dry if I wash too much. Currently, I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Forever Smooth shampoo and conditioner or Marc Anthony's Coconut Oil and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner. I rinsed under cold water and let it air dry.. sometimes like once a month I would use the ORS mask. I only tried ORS for now... and I don't use any leave-ins or oil.

lapushka
July 19th, 2016, 03:56 PM

Well I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Forever Smooth shampoo and conditioner and sometimes Marc Anthony's Coconut Oil and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner. Basically I shampoo and condition with cold water and then put the ORS Hair Mayonnaise conditioning treatment. I put a shower cap on, and put my head under a salon-like standing hair dryer for about and hour, then rinse with cold water. Then I leave my hair to air dry.. and that's it? Should I put oil or some sort of cream??

However I only do ORS like once a month. I only wash my hair like max 2x a week because it get really dry whenever I do wash it. Is that enough info?

At what point do you comb/brush it? I'd only comb/brush it when it is full of conditioner, and then rinse, and then leave it alone (no more comb or brush). Try looking into the curly girl method:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Sadhippo
July 19th, 2016, 03:58 PM
At what point do you comb/brush it? I'd only comb/brush it when it is full of conditioner, and then rinse, and then leave it alone (no more comb or brush). Try looking into the curly girl method:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I comb after I get out of the shower with my fingers. Even when my hair is super dry it never tangles. I can easily finger comb through my wispy hair, dry or wet.

spidermom
July 19th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Don't comb through it with anything, even fingers, after washing and conditioning. Then post a picture.

Johannah
July 20th, 2016, 02:27 AM

When my hair was "normal", I literally just washed and go. no masks, or leave-in conditioners or oils whatsoever. I wash my hair max 2x a week because it gets really dry if I wash too much. Currently, I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Forever Smooth shampoo and conditioner or Marc Anthony's Coconut Oil and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner. I rinsed under cold water and let it air dry.. sometimes like once a month I would use the ORS mask. I only tried ORS for now... and I don't use any leave-ins or oil.

Have you ever tried oils in your hair (pre-wash or leave-in)? How did your hair respond? Both the brands you are using contain quite some oil, which definitely is not a problem if your hair likes it. So to be sure about that, I would try to use an oil (coconut for instance) as a leave-in. You say you never use a leave-in, but this is *key* to lock the moisture in. So when your hair is still wet, use a little bit of coconut oil (not much, just so your hands are shiny) and put it in your hair. If your hair reacts bad to it, find yourself a different shampoo and conditioner. If your hair likes it, start oiling your hair like *crazy* :o

And I agree with spidermom, wash & condish (no leave-in if you do this) and no fingercombing, leave it air dry without touching it and post a picture. I think this is something that's necessary to give you good advice!