PDA

View Full Version : Need help going sulfate free & will my scalp issues be solved?

lithostoic
July 18th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I've decided I want to try going sulfate free. Reason being my back breaks out from cones, and I don't think my scalp likes the harshness of sulfates. It loves it after a monthly clarifying and (sulf/cone free) deep treatment, but with regular use it starts to get irritable. Itchy, itchy, itchy. No flakes or gunk.

Currently I'm cwc and cowashing as my washing methods. The route I'm thinking of taking is cleansing conditioner (biolage matrix for fine hair, which I already know I like) and possibly ROO method. I'll definitely be using oils as a leave-in, which I do already with argan oil.

So here are my questions:

Will I still have to use a coney conditioner to get good slip? How would I do so without experiencing crazy buildup? Will I then have to clarify more often than once a month?

Do you think going sulfate free might help my scalp itching problems? They've only just recently within the past couple months started, I think my scalp is becoming more sensitive.

Will there be a "transition period" where my hair might feel oily/dry/not itself until it gets used to the new routine?

Thanks in advance you guys, I appreciate your help.

Decoy24601
July 18th, 2016, 07:49 PM
My two cents, I think the breaking out is probably more to do with the fatty alcohols that tend to be in hair conditioners and the fact that a lot of hair conditioners have oils and butters that are very comodogenic, which can clog pores (like coconut oil), rather than silicones.

I personally find biolage to be very harsh on my sensitive skin and allergies, so if you have sensitive skin/allergies that's something to consider too.

I would check out nightblooming's herbal detangler. Some herbs like marsh mallow are film-forming humectants that can provide a decent amount of slip. I rarely use cones and when I do, I use a conditioner that has amodimethicone (won't build up on itself).

You could check out (soap) shampoo bars as well. They don't completely remove gunk like SLS shampoos, but they are also fairly conditioning. I have to use barely any conditioner when I use them. Because soap bars are still anionic surfactants, they will actually cut through the cones a bit as well, but they'r also very mild so it won't be the same as using sulfates. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-shampoo-bars/ Also, because most soapers use extra oils than what will be saponified by the lye, it will deposit a little bit of oil on your hair, which is something to consider.

Also, you don't need to buy a "clarifying" shampoo to cut through silicones. SLS will do that itself. You could always cut back on the SLS shampoos to once every week or two (which is what I'm doing), and clarify/chelate every couple months or so. Clarifying shampoos are good for removing what SLS won't, like some ingredients in hair gels and sprays, if I remember correctly

My current routine consists of using a flaxseed gel on my hair daily, shampooing my hair every other day with a shampoo bar, followed by just a little dab of thick conditioner diluted a bit in water on soaking wet hair, followed by rinsing in cold water and an ACV rinse.

I think it'll just come down to trying out different things and seeing what works for your hair and skin.

lapushka
July 19th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Will I still have to use a coney conditioner to get good slip? How would I do so without experiencing crazy buildup? Will I then have to clarify more often than once a month?

Do you think going sulfate free might help my scalp itching problems? They've only just recently within the past couple months started, I think my scalp is becoming more sensitive.

Will there be a "transition period" where my hair might feel oily/dry/not itself until it gets used to the new routine?

I think no one can predict the outcome on this. It is very specific to the user. If you go sulfate-free, I'd try and get a conditioner with no or a minimum of silicones. Clarifying 2x a month is no luxury if you wash often. 1x a month might be okay if you wash about 2x a week.

If it will solve your itching, you'll have to see for yourself.

If it is itchy beyond belief (like you might want to take your scalp off itchy), then please go see a doctor. Something might be off and you might need something different than sulfate free shampoo.

Johannah
July 19th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I think no one can predict the outcome on this. It is very specific to the user. If you go sulfate-free, I'd try and get a conditioner with no or a minimum of silicones. Clarifying 2x a month is no luxury if you wash often. 1x a month might be okay if you wash about 2x a week.

If it will solve your itching, you'll have to see for yourself.

If it is itchy beyond belief (like you might want to take your scalp off itchy), then please go see a doctor. Something might be off and you might need something different than sulfate free shampoo.

Exactly this.

And yes, you'll probably have a "transitioning" period since your hair/scalp needs to get used to the new products. I'd say this would be probably a month.

renia22
July 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM
What products were you using specifically and how often?

lithostoic
July 19th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks you guys. Not insanely itchy, just kind of annoying sometimes. I've had it for some months now and it hasn't gotten any worse.

renia I was using loreal volume filler s&c, with no problems. Itching showed up after like 5 months of use so they're not the culprit. When the shampoo ran out I purchased dove oxygen moisture s&c which I've tried in the past and thought it left me too oily. But that was 2+ years ago when I was oilier in general and didn't know about buildup or clarifying. Now I really like it.

With both s&c's, I cwc, then 4ish days later cowash, then a couple days later cwc again. Repeat. I've found this to be a good system to keep my hair looking nice.

------------------------------------------

Can someone recommend me a good silicon free conditioner?

renia22
July 19th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Hmmmm...based on the above info, I would think its not the shampoo, but I'd try leaving the conditioner off of your scalp and see if you see a difference? Some people experience issues with conditioner on the scalp/ CO washing, so maybe just wash the scalp the shampoo and condition ears down for a few weeks and see if you see a difference? That would be my guess.

Also are you familiar with cosdna.com? You can cut & paste your ingredient lists into their search, and it will list for you on a scale of 0-5, how likely the ingredients are to cause acne. Maybe that would help you figure out what's making your back break out. Good luck.

lapushka
July 20th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Hmmmm...based on the above info, I would think its not the shampoo, but I'd try leaving the conditioner off of your scalp and see if you see a difference? Some people experience issues with conditioner on the scalp/ CO washing, so maybe just wash the scalp the shampoo and condition ears down for a few weeks and see if you see a difference? That would be my guess.

Yep, that's what I'd do as well! :)

lithostoic
July 20th, 2016, 09:36 AM
That would make sense if I'd only just started cowashing but I've been doing it for close to a year with no issues. I'll try it but I'm skeptical. And idk how I'm supposed to keep my hair looking this nice without doing so, cowashing was my way of stretching time between shampoos and keeping my ends smooth.

leilan
July 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM
As an alternative to sulfate-free, you could also try diluting your current shampoo. Just a squirt in a cup of water. I've been doing this recently and it still suds up, but is much less harsh than using it full concentration. That being said, I also quite like sulfate-free shampoos.

For conditioners with good slip without the cones, I have been really pleased with GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally Beauty.

I've had my back break out from certain coney conditioners as well. I've gotten rid of the breakout almost completely by using a body wash with tea tree oil, and a Salux cloth. Just a suggestion, but it's worked wonders for me!

renia22
July 20th, 2016, 02:34 PM
That would make sense if I'd only just started cowashing but I've been doing it for close to a year with no issues. I'll try it but I'm skeptical. And idk how I'm supposed to keep my hair looking this nice without doing so, cowashing was my way of stretching time between shampoos and keeping my ends smooth.

It might be hard to diagnose and pin point on your own, "sulfates" is such a general category and so much variation from product to product. They can help scalp conditions in some cases depending on what the issue is. I know you said you don't see flakes, but perhaps try a dandruff shampoo (head & shoulders, nizoral, or selsum blue) on the washes and see if it helps? Otherwise, a doctor might have to diagnose the cause. Not sure how long it takes for co-washing to irritate scalp, for me it was right away. Not sure of it can happen after that long of a time period?

summergame
July 21st, 2016, 01:37 AM
I was having an itchy scalp when I did the co method. I think you should try the other tips that were mentioned above. Maybe you could try to use Tea Tree essential oil into your shampoo, it supposed to kill bacteria and yeast on your scalp. Just use about 3 or for drops into your hand,above the shampoo.