PDA

View Full Version : Kinky new growth :(

Tangles
October 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I have lots of new growth at the top of my head, about 3-4" long. It's especially visible on the rare occasions when I blow-dry my hair, like I did today (I know, baaad me). I have always had straight hair at the top of my head, but this new growth, maybe just because it's short and there's a lot of it, seems wavy. I cannot stand it! Any advice/commiseration?

Jorja
October 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Maybe it will straighten out a bit. I do feel for you I always had kinky frizzy stripe down the back of my head. Looking after my hair more has made it way less noticable. A bit of length on it will make it more controllable I bet :) And new hair is like exciting, it's all pure and not damaged (trying to look on bright side lol).

bunnii
October 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
It could be new growth and the dreaded halo, I have that and in a way it's annoying because it looks frizzy but in another way it's good because it means my hair is getting thicker :)

Morag
October 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I know it is probably very frustrating, especially if they're poking out in a halo, but I frankly think I'd be overjoyed to see something like that on my head. I'm always trying to figure out ways to get more thickness at the top, and a crop of new wavy hairs would put me absolutely over the moon.

So, officially envious now.:p

chrissy-b
October 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I've got this too. My new growth is kinky and weird and it sticks up all over the place, especially when it's freshly washed. In my case, when it grows longer, it doesn't look as kinky and it's easier to calm it down. I don't know if this will be the case for you but while it's annoying right now, it is new growth and for that you should try to be happy.

The only thing that works for me to tame them while they grow is styling aids, particularly KMS Hair Paste. A little aloe gel may work too, though I haven't had as much luck with that myself.

Tangles
October 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
It's just a really bad hair day. Gah, I should NOT have blow dried it and used cones--now it looks like a mass of spaghetti, literally. When will I learn that my hair just doesn't like heat styling and cones???

I took a photo of my length but it looks so bad w/ the scalp cleavage that I can't even post it. I'm considering trimming an inch off.

spidermom
October 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I find that my halo looks best when I scrunch as much wave/curl as I can get in my hair. I also have some pomade or wax that I use when the fluff is especially obnoxious (like with a bun).

Samikha
October 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I've had this all my life! Just before my first non-blunt cut I discussed hair styles with my best friend. We agreed on layers, and then she added, "and maybe ask the hairdresser for some product for those little hairs that stand straight up" :rolleyes: I have the same problem with the blowdrying.

The good news is that they get tamer as they get longer. Mine now are SO much more manageable now they actually make it to greater lengths. What worked for me was no cones, combing rather than brushes, some leave-in and trying to find the right balance between moisture and cleanness. The last part I'm still struggling with.