PDA

View Full Version : How often do you actually need to get trims? Also is grey hairs normal at 23?!

stephy190
July 17th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Trying to grow out my hair..currently trimming every four months..no more often than that.. I'm seeing growth definitely but I'm wondering whether 6 months could be better.. also have grey hairs appearing..see about 10 or so so far.. had my first one two years ago.. had a stressful year so now there's a lot more! Does this mean I'll be grey completely by the time I'm 30 !? :(

dansyl
July 17th, 2016, 04:31 PM
You only NEED to trim when you have split ends.... How often is really up to what you are comfortable with. I have had several 3 hairs since I was 18. I'm over 30 and still have the same amount.

missrandie
July 17th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair in over 14 months, and I'm still going strong!

Also, no, it doesn't mean you will be completely gray by 30. I've had silvers since high school, and I am nearly 26. There's a little patch of them in my bangs that continue to add a hair or two each year.

It took my mom 30 years to get to 50% grey, for what it's worth.

brickworld13
July 17th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I trim my hair when clarifying no longer deals with the snarly ends. I know I have splits almost all the time. I've learned to live with them. My hair is just fragile. If they aren't making a big nuisance of themselves, I leave them be until I can't manage my hair.

I started going gray at 16. Ten years later, I've got more than I had at 16, but I'm by no means halfway to a full head of silvers. Now people can actually see them if they look closely, but meh. I don't mind too much. I've been shedding a lot of grays lately. That was interesting. Seeing the white hairs show up in my brush and on my pillow. So I wonder what color they will grow back as.

HairPlease
July 17th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Grays are normal at that age. I'm 21 and 75% gray, I'm a fluke though, nobody else in my family (as far as I know) went gray that young. It hasn't gotten gray-er for about 6 years.

Trim when you have splits or your hemline/ends become grabby and ratty looking. :)

nekosan
July 17th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I've gone 5 years without a trim, easy. I just cut off the ends when they bug me.

spidermom
July 17th, 2016, 06:09 PM
You do not "have to" get trims. They're useful for keeping the bottom a little thicker looking with a defined shape, and they help to keep split ends under control. But if you want to, you can grow without ever trimming. Some people do that because of their religion.

Todd
July 17th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Grays are normal at that age. I'm 21 and 75% gray, I'm a fluke though....

Most extreme example I've seen is a friend of mine who was 100% gray by his late-20s. Now he's almost 40 and has two kids under five. Strangers always assume he's the grandpa!

pailin
July 18th, 2016, 05:51 AM
There's no need to trim unless you have splits, damage, etc. And unless you have a LOT of splits, you can go through your hair occasionally and just trim the individual splits (s&d, or search and destroy). How long you're willing to go also depends on your hemline preferences - are you trying to maintain a thick, straight hemline? And thin ends show more in straight hair, but if you're wavy or curly it might actually look really good. I'm currently almost 3 years with no trims now.

Cg
July 18th, 2016, 10:50 AM
How often you trim depends on two things: whether you have damaged ends and whether you are willing to accept an uneven hemline. If there's no damage and you don't mind thin, uneven ends, trimming is not necessary.

My aunt was all-white at 16, so yes, it can be normal. It isn't a death sentence.

samanthaa
July 18th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I know I have splits almost all the time. I've learned to live with them. My hair is just fragile. If they aren't making a big nuisance of themselves, I leave them be until I can't manage my hair.

Same is true for me!

How often you trim depends on two things: whether you have damaged ends and whether you are willing to accept an uneven hemline. If there's no damage and you don't mind thin, uneven ends, trimming is not necessary.

Agreed. My last trim was not to combat splits but rather to straighten out my hemline. I don't plan to trim again until my hemline gets raggedy.

yahirwaO.o
July 21st, 2016, 05:52 PM
Its depends of the persons hair style, preference and habits. I know some people who dont trim at all and looks amazing. Me on the other hand look like a ratty unkept mess, so I favour micro trimming every two months to keep it nice and full at the bottom!

I have some greys too, nothing to worry about!

Tosca
July 21st, 2016, 06:02 PM
I usually trim when my ends get velcroey. Soon I will be maintaining at classic and I'll probably trim every month or two.

trolleypup
July 21st, 2016, 06:08 PM
My aunt was all-white at 16, so yes, it can be normal. It isn't a death sentence.
That would be so awesome!

I usually trim when my ends get velcroey. Soon I will be maintaining at classic and I'll probably trim every month or two.
Last "trim" was a decade or so ago. I'll snip split ends when my hair gets tangly. I got my first silver at 17...and it took a couple decades to start getting a lot more.

Noppera-bo
July 22nd, 2016, 01:35 AM
http://65.media.tumblr.com/avatar_1511916b0fb5_128.png

Tassledown
August 2nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
I don't plan to trim for unrelated reasons to your question, so can't opinion on that, but I've gotten grey hairs since I was sixteen and at this point ten years later I have about ten/twelve. My mother went seriously salt-and-pepper at 30, but it stood out on her mostly because her hair was almost black. I don't know whether to expect it or not, but the hairs I have are mostly a very small silver streak still. So - completely normal, perhaps unwelcome, but not a sign of when you'll go grey on its own, no.

vampyyri
August 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Until the day my mother passed at 58, she never had a grey hair... my dad I guess is the same way at 70 without a single grey on his head. I won't be going grey until later in life it seems (which is a shame, I wouldn't mind silver locks).

As for trims... I don't anymore, but I will once I want a thicker hemline.

EdG
August 2nd, 2016, 09:06 PM
I had a few grays in my teens. They stayed relatively few in number until I hit 40.
Ed

mamaherrera
August 3rd, 2016, 02:18 PM
I started with greys at 28 and now at 36, I have plenty more. . . .it came on strong last year with a vengeance, like 150 new ones per year. None of my siblings went white that fast!

Arctic
August 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM
Trying to grow out my hair..currently trimming every four months..no more often than that.. I'm seeing growth definitely but I'm wondering whether 6 months could be better.. also have grey hairs appearing..see about 10 or so so far.. had my first one two years ago.. had a stressful year so now there's a lot more! Does this mean I'll be grey completely by the time I'm 30 !? :(

There's not right or wrong answers to the trimming schedule (or lack of). Some people can go years and be pleased with their hemline/hair condition, and some like or need to do it more often. Some people with damage might need very frequent trimming. I personally probably would need a trim couple of times a year, but I like to trim more often, it keeps me happy with my hemline.

As for greying speed, it's also highly individual. I noticed my first grey at around 30, and now I'm approaching 40 and yes there are more of them now, but not really enough to say that I'm graying.