PDA

View Full Version : Hair Stick Length Question

vampyyri
July 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I'm new to the world of hair sticks, and I just received a stick from WoodEverIImage, but I fear that it may be too short? When she was asking me about the length I wanted when I was ordering my custom from her, I went for what I thought was the "standard", 6". Here is the sold listing (https://www.etsy.com/listing/465915019/custom-crushed-cranberry?ref=shop_home_active_7), it says 6", but in our etsy conversation, she said it was 1/2" thick.

Here it is in my bun:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/braidedbun_zpsy4lr5wxx.jpg

It seems my hair just eats the poor thing up and it can hardly stick out the other side. I've tried other buns with the same result. My hair is very close to being iii thickness (measures around 3.75" and 3.9" depending, I have a hard time getting a consistent reading), so maybe I need something larger? Or is this how sticks normally look...? :confused:

I was wondering what length I should aim for if I were to order another one. I see sticks can go up to 7", but I suppose I just needed a second opinion! (don't get me wrong, I love this stick to death and will wear it, but I wish more of the craftsmanship was showing!)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 17th, 2016, 03:38 PM
As long as it's long enough to hold the bun securely without your hair falling off the end of the stick, then I would consider it "long enough" but it's really just personal preference. If you want to see more of the stick, then go with a longer one. Some people don't like seeing much stick poking out of the sides. FWIW I think that length looks fine in your bun as is, but you could also go a little longer without it looking odd or like it was to long.

vampyyri
July 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM
As long as it's long enough to hold the bun securely without your hair falling off the end of the stick, then I would consider it "long enough" but it's really just personal preference. If you want to see more of the stick, then go with a longer one. Some people don't like seeing much stick poking out of the sides. FWIW I think that length looks fine in your bun as is, but you could also go a little longer without it looking odd or like it was to long.

It does definitely hold it securely... but as my hair gets longer, I'm scared that it won't work up to BCL, TBL, or even CL if I decide to go that long. I suppose I'm looking for a length that will work with my hair as it keeps growing. For now it works at least.

LongCurlyTress
July 17th, 2016, 04:18 PM

I completely agree with this but if at hip length it is already just barely holding your hair, I would go up to 6.5 inches long next time. You could always use it and enjoy it and sell it later on on LHC... Everyone loves acrylics for damp bunning, so it's a win win imo. Very, very pretty btw!! :p

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 17th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Yeah, if you're wanting something to grow into I would go longer on the next one. By the looks of your bun, I would say you could probably go up to 7" without it looking crazy big. But then I don't mind a bit of hairstick poking out of buns. I think you'll be able to use this one for a while though, and if you do out grow it, you could probably sell it or trade it for something longer on the swap board.

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 04:47 PM
It's getting close. But is 6 inches the "functional" length or the total length? Functional length is length you need to cross your bun, minus what pokes out. If that makes sense? Might be that stick is only 5 or 5.5 functional.

I have 4.25 circ and a 5 inch total length is still enough for me.

vampyyri
July 17th, 2016, 04:53 PM
It's getting close. But is 6 inches the "functional" length or the total length? Functional length is length you need to cross your bun, minus what pokes out. If that makes sense? Might be that stick is only 5 or 5.5 functional.

I have 4.25 circ and a 5 inch total length is still enough for me.

I just measured it, and the stick itself is indeed 6", but the functional length seems to be about 5.25"... maybe that's my issue? I'm so confused, you have iii thickness hair, and if 5" functional length works for you... :confused:

I'll admit, I'm doubly confused now :doh: Am I iii thickness too? Nothing else makes sense in this case... my hair's shorter than yours! :confused:

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I just measured it, and the stick itself is indeed 6", but the functional length seems to be about 5.25"... maybe that's my issue? I'm so confused, you have iii thickness hair, and if 5" functional length works for you... :confused:

I'll admit, I'm doubly confused now :doh: Am I iii thickness too? Nothing else makes sense in this case... my hair's shorter than yours! :confused:

I do a LWB and that is a centerheld bun (stick goes into the middle), so that might explain it. Plus, my buns compact quite a bit. I twist and then I coil.

I have classic length; do have layers, though, takes away a lot of extra "bulk".

Decoy24601
July 17th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Just another thought, have you tried it with another bun? Braided buns tend to eat up a lot more of the length of a hairstick for me than LWB would.

5" functional length is barely enough for me and is on the edge of being too small, but I do have a 5" ponytail circumference. I think 6" sticks will be enough for you for a while, depending on the bun. With LWB a lot of the length is wrapped around the center, not around the stick, so there's that to consider too. I personally prefer to have a little bit more room on each end of the hairstick, so I like to buy sticks that are longer (I just bought some 6.5" eads a week ago), but I'm planning on growing my hair to classic or longer. I think another few inches won't make too huge of a difference on what length of hairstick you will need.

jasper
July 17th, 2016, 05:12 PM
I was going to say that too. The bun style makes a difference. A knot bun takes up less stick for me than a braided or coiled. I like to show off fancy sticks, but to me a 7 inch stick is too big for my head no matter how my bun is shaped, and I will sometimes have trouble with it sticking out too far and knocking into things.

vampyyri
July 17th, 2016, 05:12 PM
I do a LWB and that is a centerheld bun (stick goes into the middle), so that might explain it. Plus, my buns compact quite a bit. I twist and then I coil.

I have classic length; do have layers, though, takes away a lot of extra "bulk".

My layers are pretty much grown out, so perhaps that's it...?

Just another thought, have you tried it with another bun? Braided buns tend to eat up a lot more of the length of a hairstick for me than LWB would.

5" functional length is barely enough for me and is on the edge of being too small, but I do have a 5" ponytail circumference. I think 6" sticks will be enough for you for a while, depending on the bun. With LWB a lot of the length is wrapped around the center, not around the stick, so there's that to consider too. I personally prefer to have a little bit more room on each end of the hairstick, so I like to buy sticks that are longer (I just bought some 6.5" eads a week ago), but I'm planning on growing my hair to classic or longer. I think another few inches won't make too huge of a difference on what length of hairstick you will need.

Yeah, I tried a standard nautlus, cinnabun, and a figure 8/infinity bun... they all have the stick eaten up. I may have to try a LWB as I grow out of this one so quickly. Maybe I need to bump up to 6.5"+ for my next acrylic.

Decoy24601
July 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I tried a standard nautlus, cinnabun, and a figure 8/infinity bun... they all have the stick eaten up. I may have to try a LWB as I grow out of this one so quickly. Maybe I need to bump up to 6.5"+ for my next acrylic.

Yeah, there's no harm in going up another .5". It's not going to look that much longer, but even half an inch in functional length makes a difference. I do have layers up to WL (and my hair is a fair amount thicker at SL from regrowing for a while after a big shed), so it's possible that for me that I would need a longer stick length if I didn't have layers.

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 05:27 PM

My shortest layer is BSL, so, there's quite a bit of bulk cut out between BSL & classic.

I'd go with 7!

LongCurlyTress
July 17th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Yep! I agree! :agree::thumbsup:

vampyyri
July 18th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Thank you guys for your input! I'm definitely going to be looking at sticks that are 6.5"-7" next time around!

LongCurlyTress
July 18th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Thank you guys for your input! I'm definitely going to be looking at sticks that are 6.5"-7" next time around!

You will always be able to continue using this 5+fpl inch size with a centerheld cinnamon bun... just fyi...;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RA7_jGzsE4

See how gossamer inserts the two prong hair fork into the center of the bun after two wraps and then continues to wrap the remainder of her hair around the fork? I use a hairstick for this also and a shorter hairstick works great since I like when it doesn't "stick" out of the bun-- LOL! fyi... ;)

lapushka
July 18th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Another good tip is to take a stick (or pencil) and mark or measure the part that goes into the bun. That way you know what functional length you need for what bun (it varies, with centerheld buns or not). That's how I came up with my 5 inch total length. I can still do 4.5 inches functional with my Quattros that have a topper but I only do a centerheld bun all the time.

Johannah
July 18th, 2016, 08:05 AM
It does definitely hold it securely... but as my hair gets longer, I'm scared that it won't work up to BCL, TBL, or even CL if I decide to go that long. I suppose I'm looking for a length that will work with my hair as it keeps growing. For now it works at least.

The sticks/forks that are too short for 'normal' buns, I use for LWB and twisted lazy wrap buns (so with your hair turned like a cinnamon bun). Works wonderful.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2016, 08:11 AM
I really need to learn how to do center-held buns it seems... I know of the LWB and a cinnabun being able to be center held, but what else can be held this way?

Also, I take it center held buns lessen the tension on the scalp? The way I'm doing it now goes so tight that it can give me a face lift :rollin:

Johannah
July 18th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I really need to learn how to do center-held buns it seems... I know of the LWB and a cinnabun being able to be center held, but what else can be held this way?

Also, I take it center held buns lessen the tension on the scalp? The way I'm doing it now goes so tight that it can give me a face lift :rollin:

TBH it takes quite some practice to do them 'right', or at least so they feel right (for me it did :o). A disc bun is also very small for me, so that might be something to try as well.

pailin
July 18th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I think you can do some more experimentation with buns, but I would also go up to a larger size for your next stick, especially turned sticks.
I'm a 3.5 circumference, and about the same length as you, although I still have layers in the bottom 5 inches or so of my hair. I have a 5 inch Ead that I love, and it sticks out no more than a quarter inch from my bun. But usually I'm doing a center held lazy wrap these days so you still see stick (from the back at least). But I'm sticking to 6 inch minimum from here out, and I like 6.5 for turned sticks.
If the lazy wrap will work for you, I'd recommend it.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I think you can do some more experimentation with buns, but I would also go up to a larger size for your next stick, especially turned sticks.
I'm a 3.5 circumference, and about the same length as you, although I still have layers in the bottom 5 inches or so of my hair. I have a 5 inch Ead that I love, and it sticks out no more than a quarter inch from my bun. But usually I'm doing a center held lazy wrap these days so you still see stick (from the back at least). But I'm sticking to 6 inch minimum from here out, and I like 6.5 for turned sticks.
If the lazy wrap will work for you, I'd recommend it.

Funny enough, I just tried a LWB... and I love it! The stick is showing better, the bun is nice and secure without being too tight... I think I found another go-to bun!

pailin
July 18th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Funny enough, I just tried a LWB... and I love it! The stick is showing better, the bun is nice and secure without being too tight... I think I found another go-to bun!

That's great! I've been trying some others to mix things up, but keep just going back to the lazy wrap. It just works.

ETA also, I get compliments on it too! and it's so simple.

Johannah
July 18th, 2016, 09:37 AM

Haha, welcome in my life :lol: I LOVE the LWB :)

lapushka
July 18th, 2016, 01:45 PM

If your hair is bordering on iii... I had to wait until waist/hip to do a LWB, more like "hip" for it to sit right. So if your hair is thicker than you realize or think it is, you might need more length first. It should be doable, though. You are hip, so, maybe it's the technique and the need to practice a bit. It took me a while as well!

brickworld13
July 18th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you're going to need the really long sticks like Seeshami has. I have one that used to be hers and the functional length on it is more than 7". I will ETA a photo into the post in a bit.

ETA:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12747408_10154500340614409_5502788764657995547_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

vampyyri
July 18th, 2016, 02:20 PM
If your hair is bordering on iii... I had to wait until waist/hip to do a LWB, more like "hip" for it to sit right. So if your hair is thicker than you realize or think it is, you might need more length first. It should be doable, though. You are hip, so, maybe it's the technique and the need to practice a bit. It took me a while as well!

It seems to be sitting correctly on me, I just put the stick through the loop, swung it back, and jabbed it in. It's nowhere near as difficult as a nautilus on me, I can never get that outer loop to sit nicely.

I think I'm teetering the iii line, but I'm not quite there. I'll have to measure again tonight, and maybe have DH read off the numbers so I can know for sure. (poor guy already thinks I'm insane measuring my length... I can imagine the inevitable eye roll now)

Sounds like you're going to need the really long sticks like Seeshami has. I have one that used to be hers and the functional length on it is more than 7". I will ETA a photo into the post in a bit.

ETA:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12747408_10154500340614409_5502788764657995547_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Perhaps I will... I love my braided buns, but I don't like my hair gobbling sticks up.