PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive hair products

Ponymad21
July 17th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Can anyone recommend some good products for sensitive skin?
i can't use herbal essences conditioner
i CO wash

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 03:32 PM
How is it sensitive? What kind of ingredients can you stand / not stand?

Have you tried Tresemme? Or, more natural conditioners?

Maybe CO-washing might even not be for you, have you thought about that? Some people can't get conditioner near their scalp (more hair loss), same as with oils. It's a "thing". Did you used to have the same issue with shampoo? Might be something to think about.

Deborah
July 17th, 2016, 10:40 PM
You can buy Cure Care Conditioner from Sally Beauty Supply. It is inexpensive and fragrance free. Years ago I used it successfully for conditioner-only washing. Maybe you would like that.

florenonite
July 18th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I second lapushka's questions; "sensitive skin" is just such a broad category. For instance, seborrheic dermatitis often requires sulfates to keep it under control, but is often mistaken for something like eczema and inadequately treated with gentle or moisturising products.

Personally, I have eczema on my scalp, and find that sulfates irritate it, as does leaving my hair to get too greasy between washes, so I wash every 2-3 days with a sulfate-free shampoo. CO didn't clean my scalp adequately, leaving it itchy and flaky, while mainstream 'poos over-cleaned, with the same result, so it's important to know more about your particular condition.

Stepo_NiNha
July 18th, 2016, 09:54 AM
I second Lapushka's suggestion as well, you might not go well with CO, you could visit a doctor to check why you have a sensitive scalp and why you are reacting badly to some ingredients.

Ponymad21
July 18th, 2016, 03:30 PM
How is it sensitive? What kind of ingredients can you stand / not stand?

Have you tried Tresemme? Or, more natural conditioners?

Maybe CO-washing might even not be for you, have you thought about that? Some people can't get conditioner near their scalp (more hair loss), same as with oils. It's a "thing". Did you used to have the same issue with shampoo? Might be something to think about.

I'm even worse with shampoo, I'm going to try tresemme naturals and simple gentle care conditioner, I tend to have more luck with natural products

florenonite
July 18th, 2016, 11:49 PM
When you say shampoo is even worse, have you tried sulfate-free shampoos or only mainstream ones? What do you use to wash your hands (liquid or bar soap)? How is that working out for you? Do you still have any bottles of shampoo that didn't work for you? If so, if you share the ingredient lists it might help narrow down what's bothering you.

You also say natural products tend to be better. Have you tried shampoo bars? If you don't have any issues with bar soap elsewhere on your body, they might be worth a shot (as long as you get the ones that are actually soap, not Lush's solid SLS shampoos).

If you don't know what condition (seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, etc.) you have, if any, I'd also recommend seeing a dermatologist, because treatment can vary vastly depending on the root problem, even though symptoms may be similar.

Ponymad21
July 19th, 2016, 03:32 AM
When you say shampoo is even worse, have you tried sulfate-free shampoos or only mainstream ones? What do you use to wash your hands (liquid or bar soap)? How is that working out for you? Do you still have any bottles of shampoo that didn't work for you? If so, if you share the ingredient lists it might help narrow down what's bothering you.

You also say natural products tend to be better. Have you tried shampoo bars? If you don't have any issues with bar soap elsewhere on your body, they might be worth a shot (as long as you get the ones that are actually soap, not Lush's solid SLS shampoos).

If you don't know what condition (seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, etc.) you have, if any, I'd also recommend seeing a dermatologist, because treatment can vary vastly depending on the root problem, even though symptoms may be similar.

I can't use bar soap, I have to use baby bath to wash my hands, and I've found one conditioner that works but it was a limited edition and I've run out of it

florenonite
July 19th, 2016, 03:53 AM
You mean like baby bath soap? Have you tried using the same thing on your scalp?

As for the conditioner that worked, can you provide any more information, such as the brand or any ingredients it had or didn't have (eg was it cone-free?)?

Ponymad21
July 20th, 2016, 02:10 PM
You mean like baby bath soap? Have you tried using the same thing on your scalp?

As for the conditioner that worked, can you provide any more information, such as the brand or any ingredients it had or didn't have (eg was it cone-free?)?

I have used it on my scalp but it dried my hair out so badly!
It was an Aldi conditioner, their ones that are kinda a copy of Aussie, it had cones and was a deep condition treatment

shaded in gray
July 20th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure how natural you like your products, but the most natural product I tried and loved was Hair Dance's shampoo, which can actually be used without conditioner. Your water pH may affect your results, as will your hair type and if it's been dyed/damaged be conventional products and styling methods. But, this shampoo was the best product for my hair when it was completely natural and really settled my mild scalp irritations.

Flossiebell
July 20th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I am currently using aloe pura shampoo/conditioner. I cannot co wash due to hair loss, but I find this really mild and doesn't contain any sulphites/parabens etc.

Ps - I am still going through a trial and error with my scalp as it is extremely sensitive, I can't put it up or go out in the sun without a hat on. Good luck x

Ponymad21
August 2nd, 2016, 01:18 PM
I've just got simple kind to skin conditioner and baby shampoo so I'll see how I do with that!

diddiedaisy
August 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM
Garnier blends do an oat one for sensitive scalp

Angelica
August 2nd, 2016, 04:12 PM
I used to use Suma shampoo that had no scent to it. That might be worth a try. My skin is sensitive also. So basically nothing heavily scented. I tend to smell the shampoo in shops before purchasing them, if they are too strong I don't buy.

CarrotTop
August 2nd, 2016, 04:36 PM
For the most part, I've had good luck with kids' shampoos, which are a bit gentler than shampoo marketed at adults, since they usually don't have as many irritating ingredients like menthol, artificial colors, and citrus extracts. I've also had decent results washing my hair with a fragrance-free foaming face wash.