PDA

View Full Version : Using Just Water to Clean a BBB?

GingerWannabe
July 15th, 2016, 08:15 PM
About 7 months ago, when I started my WO journey, I "invested" in a flat BBB, and I learned how to clean it via this guide (http://justprimalthings.com/2014/10/18/how-to-clean-a-boar-bristle-brush/).

Currently, my hair hates me and is insisting on looking greasy no matter what I do, so I've found that it's vital for me to keep a clean BBB and use it. A lot. With how often I clean it, I dislike using products on it. I currently use either a tablespoon of honey of Shea Moisture, and feel wasteful doing this every 5 or so days. Granted, I would use more product if I wanted clean-looking hair and was still using shampoo, but I just hoped WO would be entirely product-free.

I had the "brilliant" idea of making my BBB go WO with me, so I let it sit in hot water for ten minutes, changing the water twice, then rinsed it with cold water and let it sit in the cold water for a minute or two. So far, I've noticed that it takes out a great deal of sebum, but it seems there's still a film of sebum around each bristle.

So does that decrease the "effectiveness" of the BBB? Or is it possible to clean it with just water? What would you recommend cleaning sebum off with without using a product so I can be 100% product-free and not wasting honey or ACV?

chantecler
July 15th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Hey! welcome to LHC! I'm not WO, but I do use my own bbb a lot and I know how ineffective it is when it's dirty. I am not convinced that WO on the BB would be very effective, because there is a limit to the sebom that can be absorbed by the bristles or removed in just water, but if you want to be less wasteful, I'd consider using a castille soap to wash it. I use liquid Dr Bronners, it's super efficient, ecological, you can buy a huge bottle which will last you forever, and you can clean basically your whole house with it too.

I think it's a good idea if you want to be less wasteful, but still be able to clean it nicely. Also, you seem to be using things that are very soft and conditionning, and boar bristles don't really need to be washed very delicately, they are very sturdy compared to our delicate human hair :)

florenonite
July 16th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Could you try washing it with your regular hand or dish soap? I know that still means using products to keep your hair clean, but it doesn't involve buying anything new, just using soap you already have in the house.

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I would try and stay WO on the scalp, but I would keep the tools you use clear of sebum (and that means soap).

longinthehair
July 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I don't remember how I learned this method (probably from the good people here on the forum!), but this is what I do. After combing out excess hair, dust, whatever. Put warm water in sink, with squirt of Baby Shampoo, drop or two of Tea Tree Oil (anti-bacterial); use a fingernail type brush or just fingers to wash off bristles. Takes all of a couple minutes, if that. Rinse. Shake, let dry bristle side down. Voila - done. Seems to work nicely for me. I think the trick is not to use hot, but warm water..and the Tea Tree oil is very effective. (I do this method to clean my tangle teaser and combs as well.)

kuroi
July 16th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I currently soak my bbb after every use (first take the shed hairs out of course). I use just cold water nothing else and let it sit 15 minutes or so less if I'm feeling impatient, not sure how long is actually needed. But anyways the water always looks yellowish and just yucky afterwards. It might not get all sebum out but I feel it gets enough out to stay okay.
I was experimenting with a drop of lavender or tea tree to make it also smell nice.

Cg
July 16th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I am WO and have been for several years. I clean mine with warm water, a squirt of hotel shampoo (just whatever I happen to have), and a toothbrush for scrubbing. Rinse in cold water, and all clean.

GingerWannabe
July 16th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I think I'll try using a bit of dish soap next time, but one of my main concerns is: what if the product I use on my BBB has sulfates or silicons? Will those damage my hair when I brush it?

Also, how long does a BBB last on average, and will certain cleaning methods make the bristles fall out faster? I've had about 6 or so fall out in the 7 months I've had it, and I warped the wood of the body too...

Cg
July 16th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I think I'll try using a bit of dish soap next time, but one of my main concerns is: what if the product I use on my BBB has sulfates or silicons? Will those damage my hair when I brush it?

Also, how long does a BBB last on average, and will certain cleaning methods make the bristles fall out faster? I've had about 6 or so fall out in the 7 months I've had it, and I warped the wood of the body too...

You're going to rinse the soap out, so it shouldn't affect your hair.

A good quality brush lasts for years if it's well maintained. I NEVER soak mine, just get them wet, then scrub with the sudsy toothbrush, rinse, and dry thoroughly bristles down. I always keep them in the original box in the bedroom away from humidity and sunlight. Occasionally a bristle will fall out, but certainly nothing that degrades the effectiveness of the brush.

GingerWannabe
July 16th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Okay. Maybe I'll try not soaking it next time. Mine didn't come in a box, but where I live, it's pretty dry. When I soaked it today, about 7 or so bristles broke, but didn't fall out. Mine was only $9, so I'm not so certain it was the best quality.

Nadine <3
July 16th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I use dawn dish soap to really cut the grease. I scrub it with the bristle brush I use for washing my back in the shower.

My sebum is stupidly hard to remove.

littlelivething
July 16th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I am not doing wo, but I like to use dr. Bronner's tea tree Castile soap to clean boar bristle hairbrush and shave soap brush.

GingerWannabe
July 17th, 2016, 02:31 PM
So how do you guys keep water from harming the wood if your brush is wood? I've already kind of messed up the top of my wooden brush's body because it swelled due to water, which made the varnish and pretty finish chip off in that spot.

Hairkay
July 17th, 2016, 05:03 PM
So how do you guys keep water from harming the wood if your brush is wood? I've already kind of messed up the top of my wooden brush's body because it swelled due to water, which made the varnish and pretty finish chip off in that spot.

When I did use a brush it was a wooden one. I'd wash it in my doc recommended shampoo alternative. My mother had taught us to use shampoo to wash combs and brushes. Since I only put it in water for a short while it did not damage the wood. I think maybe you've immersed the brush too long in water that made it swell.

kuroi
July 18th, 2016, 06:12 AM
I only submerge the bristles so the wood shouldn't be affected. I also let it dry with the bristles down.