PDA

View Full Version : Oiling scalp correctly?

Spinder
July 15th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Is scalp oiling something you can only really do prior to washing, or can it be done without making your roots a grease mess?

I just tried some lovely scalp oil that I had to wash out within hours because my roots were all, well... oily. :uhh: Did I goof and use too much or not spread it out properly, or is scalp oil something you'll always have to wash out within a few hours? Does anyone have any scalp oiling wisdom/techniques they could share? Please help me, oil gurus!

littlestarface
July 15th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Yes, it's mostly for just before a wash, like the night before or an hour before but for me I leave it on my scalp for days sometimes, cuz I get distracted from the shower.

turtlelover
July 15th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Any kind of oil on my scalp is an instant trigger for an SD flare. I wish I could use oil on my scalp cause I am sure it would be better for my hair!

spidermom
July 15th, 2016, 10:04 PM
My method of oiling my scalp is to let it happen naturally. Once the hair close to my scalp gets oily, I use coconut oil on the length. It's a good system.

Sweets
July 16th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Not an oil guru, but I always wash it out before doing anything else. I use coconut oil occasionally before bed - wash and condition in the morning. Good luck!

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Any kind of oil on my scalp is an instant trigger for an SD flare. I wish I could use oil on my scalp cause I am sure it would be better for my hair!

Same here. Some people can't oil their scalp because of SD, others because it makes them shed more (it's a "thing" and you can also get it from letting conditioner get on your scalp).

Ophidian
July 16th, 2016, 05:38 AM
I use a tiny bit (like a drop) every evening (I'm doing the castor thing, and I add EOs too) and massage it in. I do not find that this makes my roots greasy at all but YMMV. The type of oil you use might also make a difference, too. Some like castor are more drying than others. But again, I only use a tiny bit at a time. If you want to oil more heavily that may very well need to be a before-wash thing.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Is scalp oiling something you can only really do prior to washing, or can it be done without making your roots a grease mess?

I just tried some lovely scalp oil that I had to wash out within hours because my roots were all, well... oily. :uhh: Did I goof and use too much or not spread it out properly, or is scalp oil something you'll always have to wash out within a few hours? Does anyone have any scalp oiling wisdom/techniques they could share? Please help me, oil gurus!

You may have used too much. You can use that much if you plan to wash it out immediately, but if you mean to leave it as a longer treatment, you'd be shocked by how little you need. You really need the smallest amount on the tips of your first 3 fingers. Maybe 2-3 drops, and then you massage that into your scalp. You can always add more. But the best idea is to start with less. It's just supposed to be assisting your scalp with nutrients if you mean it as a leave on scalp treatment. Putting too much might just clog your skin a bit if you aren't careful.

Ligeia Noire
November 29th, 2017, 08:55 PM
I oil my scalp once per week with argan oil right before wash, I use a drop bottle so it is really easy to apply. I have found it to be the only thing that really helps with my flakiness, which I am almost certain it is a dry scalp as I have tried countless of other things before, so for me oiling the scalp is a must and my hair loves it. I apply it to the entire head, massage it, put it up and go to sleep, next day I go about my day and then wash it off and yeah, that is it. One has to find out what amount and what type of oil to use and more important than all if the scalp tolerates it or if you even need it, otherwise, dampening the length and applying it from the ears down is a safe and healthy bet.