PDA

View Full Version : Hair Emergency! Need a hairstyle for a show!

RebekahE
July 15th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Hey, peeps! Tomorrow I have a horse show and today when I was pinning my number on my shirt I noticed my braid is getting tangled in it. I guess it has grown since my last show (imagine that!). I tried braiding a ribbon into my hair and then doubling the braid and that was a fail, tucking my ends is impossible. Any bun I have ever tried is to big, not to mention my hair likes to spit pins out or my scalp decides it hates them and gives me a headache. I can't braid my hair and tuck it into my hat (believe me, I have tried, it just doesn't work). Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

draysmir
July 15th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Do you french braid it or just braid it? French braiding my hair makes it a bit shorter. A five strand dutch braid would probably make it even shorter. I have seen someone do a smaller bun, but let the rest of their hair hang down. I think it was a twist bun and they used one of those hair sticks. If a small bun fits in your helmet fine, I would that and braid the rest of your hair that hangs out of the bun?

Ana H.
July 15th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I was going to say 5 strand braid also. Or a loopy bun thing with the ends wrapped around as many times as you need to... I don't know what it's called. Here's the video, the tutorial for what I'm talking about starts at 4min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxrTMtPu6K4

RebekahE
July 15th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Horse was postponed until next Saturday due to rain so I have more time to figure something out. I will review how to do a 5 strand, hopefully it isn't to hard to pick it up again. I have done a french braid and it does shorten my hair a bit but with the hat pressing it against my skull it tends to give me a headache. I get headaches really easy from most buns and even certain braids it is soooo frustrating!

Ana H.
July 15th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I’m glad you’ll have more time to practice the braid. A crown braid might work too but maybe that would give you a headache also? This video really helped me learn the 5 strand braid, just in case you’re rusty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTVg0rvXbk

draysmir
July 15th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Darn, that must be difficult being prone to headaches! I was going to suggest something like this, where you do a small bun but let the rest just chill/braid it, but the bun might still make your helmet too tight. (Forgive me, I have no idea how to do buns or use hair clips but you can probably get the idea). My hair is about MBL and it's around SL when I do the bun so that's a good few inches. How far down does your helmet go? Maybe try doing a really low bun below your helmet? I think the 5-strand braid would be your best bet though :)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/draysmir/IMG_20160715_183407_zpsaijqzxcq.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/draysmir/media/IMG_20160715_183407_zpsaijqzxcq.jpg.html)

turtlelover
July 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Hey, peeps! Tomorrow I have a horse show and today when I was pinning my number on my shirt I noticed my braid is getting tangled in it. I guess it has grown since my last show (imagine that!). I tried braiding a ribbon into my hair and then doubling the braid and that was a fail, tucking my ends is impossible. Any bun I have ever tried is to big, not to mention my hair likes to spit pins out or my scalp decides it hates them and gives me a headache. I can't braid my hair and tuck it into my hat (believe me, I have tried, it just doesn't work). Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

When I showed horses for years, we used hairnets. NOTHING falls out of a bun that has a hair net on top of it, and no one can see it underneath your hat/helmet anyway. Plus, I always thought it looked a bit more polished.

Thraven
July 15th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Hawser braid! Completely eats up the length, and won't get in the way of your helmet, depending on your discipline.

RebekahE
July 15th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Thank you very much! I can always count on you guys to rescue me. I will be giving these styles a try through out the week. I ride western so I wear a cowboy hat.
turtlelover, where did you get your hairnets? Were they special ones for showing or just ones from a local store?
Ana H., thank you for the link. Now I don't have to go dig that video up! It is the one I used to start my 5 strand braid with.

samanthaa
July 15th, 2016, 08:35 PM
What about the hawser braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ)? It looks like it eats up length. Two rope braids braided together.

turtlelover
July 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Thank you very much! I can always count on you guys to rescue me. I will be giving these styles a try through out the week. I ride western so I wear a cowboy hat.
turtlelover, where did you get your hairnets? Were they special ones for showing or just ones from a local store?
Ana H., thank you for the link. Now I don't have to go dig that video up! It is the one I used to start my 5 strand braid with.

We just bought cheap ones from local stores. You can use two if you hair is especially bouncy! We tended to double up on both bras and hairnets for less bounce! LOL :-)

EdG
July 15th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Thank you very much! I can always count on you guys to rescue me. As a result of a movie ad campaign and the title of this thread, the "Who are you going to call?" theme is playing in my mind. :lol:
Ed

sumidha
July 15th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Make three english braids, then braid them together. No learning new braids required and it will eat a ton of length. :)

Miss P
July 16th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Hi, my hair is nowhere near yours but I have earmarked a site for hairstyles when I get there (I can dream). The link below is an index for various hairstyles, the instructions vary but its there for you to look at if you want it
https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/style-index/

P.S. Good luck in your show!

Complexity
July 16th, 2016, 07:31 AM
As a result of a movie ad campaign and the title of this thread, the "Who are you going to call?" theme is playing in my mind. :lol:
Ed

And now mine, as well. Thanks for that :p

Braiding any sort of braids together will eat up a ton of length and depending on which braids you choose to work with, it can look really intricate and pretty.

Nellon
July 16th, 2016, 09:56 AM
I would suggest a low well secured bun with a hairnet over as well.

truepeacenik
July 16th, 2016, 10:02 AM
As a result of a movie ad campaign and the title of this thread, the "Who are you going to call?" theme is playing in my mind. :lol:
Ed

En Chorus Hair Braiders!

This is a job for Gumball.

EdG
July 16th, 2016, 10:30 AM
En Chorus Hair Braiders!

This is a job for Gumball.It certainly is with Gumball's braiding skills and supply box. It seems as though I have seen this in the movies. :lol:
Ed