PDA

View Full Version : Body wash for shampoo??

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Okay, how many of you have ever smelled a body wash and thought, "wow, I wish they made a shampoo that smelled like this!" ?

Well...I have that dilemma. Oil of Olay Winter Retreat body wash. So nice on the skin! It does have some ingredients that most here wouldn't like in their hair...like petrolatum...:poot: But, I wonder if it would be like using Pantene Women of Color shampoo? It tended to make the hair greasy if you went a day extra without shampooing, but overall it felt nice in the hair. I'll list the ingredients of the shower gel. Tell me if you've ever tried a body wash in your hair. :)

Water, Petrolatum, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Lauric Acid, Trihydroxystearin, Fragrance, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Sodium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Dmdm Hydantoin, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium Edta, Peg-14M, Yellow 5, Yellow 6
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10535729#Description

Here is the list of Pantene's Women of Color shampoo.
Water, Petrolatum, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Lauromphoacetate, Lauric Acid, Trihydroxystearin, Fragrance, Panthenol, Penthenyl Ethyl Ether, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Dmdm Hydantoin, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium Edta, Pem -14M

Magdalene
October 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Oh, I'd be very wary of putting petrolatum in my hair. I once used vaseline as hair gel and it was...not pretty. Had to rub dirt into my hair to absorb it!

Chromis
October 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
My husband has done it, mostly out of sheer laziness, but his hair is less than an inch long.

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
My husband has done it, mostly out of sheer laziness, but his hair is less than an inch long.

Kind of like how some use straight bar soap to wash their hair...

Not hair bar soap...but like, Zest...Or Lever 2000.

Teacherbear
October 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I've used shampoo as body wash, but never the other way around. It would be too harsh for my hair.

Chromis
October 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Kind of like how some use straight bar soap to wash their hair...

Not hair bar soap...but like, Zest...Or Lever 2000.

Yep, he's done that too!

Buddaphlyy
October 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
For the record, the petroluem in PWoC shampoo is there to help lubricate the hair because African American hair tends to be naturally dry and shampooing can increase it more. So in that particular product, the petroleum is actually beneficial.

Anyway, I have use body wash as a shampoo though. I used the unscented Ivory. I actually liked it better than the shampoo I used right before it. My hair was none the worse for wear.

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I've used shampoo as body wash, but never the other way around. It would be too harsh for my hair.

I'm hoping since the body wash I bought is moisturizing, and doesn't dry my skin out that it would be moisturizing on my hair too...

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
For the record, the petroluem in PWoC shampoo is there to help lubricate the hair because African American hair tends to be naturally dry and shampooing can increase it more. So in that particular product, the petroleum is actually beneficial.

Anyway, I have use body wash as a shampoo though. I used the unscented Ivory. I actually liked it better than the shampoo I used right before it. My hair was none the worse for wear.

Yeah, I've used that shampoo before and it made my hair feel nice. The only thing is if I didn't rinse well enough or if I went an extra day without washing. But at least it was extra moisture! :)

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Water, Petrolatum, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Lauric Acid, Trihydroxystearin, Fragrance, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Sodium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Dmdm Hydantoin, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium Edta, Peg-14M, Yellow 5, Yellow 6
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10535729#Description

Here is the list of Pantene's Women of Color shampoo.
Water, Petrolatum, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Lauromphoacetate, Lauric Acid, Trihydroxystearin, Fragrance, Panthenol, Penthenyl Ethyl Ether, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Dmdm Hydantoin, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium Edta, Pem -14M

Okay, so after looking at the ingredients list closer, and really comparing, it pretty much looks the same, except the order of a few ingredients. The body wash has the vanilla extract, and the shampoo has hair friendly ingredients like panthenol and penthenyl ethyl ether. Well...I just might have to try this! :) My hair will smell so nice! :)

SweetPea88
October 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I actually remember reading that someone on the boards here used white rain body wash. I wish I could remember who!:confused:

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, I might as well give it a shot and see how it goes! :)

Xandergrammy
October 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I might as well give it a shot and see how it goes! :)

I'll be anxiously awaiting your critique, because I have the same body wash and LOVE THE SMELL!!!

dancingmegs
October 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Honestly, the ingredients don't look much different from your standard shampoo, so I can't imagine it would do anything terrible, if your hair is used to sulfate shampoos. Give it a try! :shrug:

Chanterelle
October 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the thread. It reminded me I was going to try Escada Moon Sparkle shower gel for shampoo :)
I've already tried using body washes for shampoos. It did nothing terrible but my hair was much shorter back them.

Periwinkle
October 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If you want the smell, you could always try diluting it and then misting with it, so that your hair would smell but there wouldn't be much of the product on it.

I have used those things that are supposed to be shapoo and body wash all at once and they were all foul.

snowbear
October 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well, I do the opposite, and use VO5 shampoo as body wash. :shrug:

Delila
October 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I use LUSH Tramp body wash as a shampoo once in a while, just for the scent. I adore the scent it leaves in my hair.

My hair seems to get really oily just after I use it, so I have to either shampoo early (real shampoo) or just braid the oiliness.

BlackfootHair
October 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well folks, I did it. I used the shower gel as shampoo. When using it, it foamed up normal. I must say that upon rinsing it (even after washing twice due to the extra oil I had in my hair from before) it felt just like how it might after a deep oil treatment. You know the kind that you have to wash several times for. And after that your hair still feels like it has some oil on it? Not that it's bad. I finished off with a little bit of Pantene beautiful lengths. My hair is taking FOREVER to dry. Perhaps that's a good thing. :) It smells nice. (well, what small amount of hair I can pull under my nose. hehe) The dry hair feels very soft. It doesn't look super shiny, but not quite dull either...just normal. Don't think this will become my holy grail or anything. Depending on how my hair feels after it completely dries I might do it again tomorrow... I must say though that my hair doesn't look especially nice...I looked in the mirror and it kind of looks all over the place. The ends really. But this is due to the damage I inflicted so long ago, so I have no one to blame. After my hair dries I'll try the stretch test. If it has more elasticity I probably will do the body wash for shampoo again tomorrow. Maybe if it takes longer to dry it will keep some moisture in it longer as well. Okay, I'm so totally rambling and the fresh hot brownies out of the oven are calling me with their aroma. :)

Oh, and I noticed that the Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner smells sort of like fabric softener. Not like Dove, but something else. :)

Oskimosa
October 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I used the suave naturals bodywash on my hair a couple of times when we had run out of shampoo.

It was blah. I thought it didn't have 'cones in it, but I still had a weird icky residue on my hair and scalp.

Angellen
October 18th, 2008, 09:51 PM
The ingredients look essentially the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if they behaved in a similar manner. Let us know how it turned out :)

Personally, I use Suave naturals waterfall shampoo as body wash simply because I have no body wash and I find that I need way less do get the job done. :?

BlackfootHair
October 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Well, in the morning my hair has completely dried now. It feels soft and manageable, but doesn't look too shiny...I think I need to clarify anyway. I fell asleep on the couch last night. We have a very fuzzy warm blanket over the couch and I was sweating. So now my hair near my scalp feels grimy. Not oily, but grimy. I might just clarify in the shower today and follow up with a deep conditioning treatment. :) Probably not something I'll do again.

BlackfootHair
October 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Okay, I clarified with Prell twice in the shower tonight. And it took that many times too. The first wash still left my hair feeling grimy. Yeah...so I clarified twice, my hair was squeaky. I deep conditioned with Redkin All soft deep treatment. After the shower I put in Redkin Anti snap leave in treatment. My hair feels really soft and good. It's taking a while to dry, but it feels really nice.

intothemist1999
October 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Okay, how many of you have ever smelled a body wash and thought, "wow, I wish they made a shampoo that smelled like this!" ?

Avon has this Planet Spa African Shea Butter series (body scrub, lotion, something else...) I have the lotion, and ADORE the scent!

Xandergrammy
October 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I tried this yesterday. I used the same kind of bodywash as Blackfoothair- Olay Winter Retreat. I only lathered once, detangled in the shower and used no conditioner or leave-in. My hair was easy to comb. This is how my hair looked air dried after combing a few times and wrapping it around my neck to keep my dog from sitting on it. :tongue: I might try it again and not touch it after detangling just to see how the waves come out. I usually don't have this much wurl if I manipulate my hair at all while drying. On the down side, my hair doesn't feel so great- a little greasy or coated, I guess. HOWEVER, it is way less frizzy and is staying nicely in the braid I'm wearing today.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/DSCN0006-3.jpg

BlackfootHair
October 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Wow...I can't wait till I get some serious length like yours! :) Yeah, after I washed my hair with the body wash I noticed my hair was much easier to get in a pony tail. Which is saying a lot since I have many many layers.

Yesterday I washed my hair twice with Suave shampoo and conditioned with Suave conditioner. It felt nice. After I air dried it, I rubbed in some coconut oil. Hmm... :)

Xandergrammy
October 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Wow...I can't wait till I get some serious length like yours! :) Yeah, after I washed my hair with the body wash I noticed my hair was much easier to get in a pony tail. Which is saying a lot since I have many many layers.

Yesterday I washed my hair twice with Suave shampoo and conditioned with Suave conditioner. It felt nice. After I air dried it, I rubbed in some coconut oil. Hmm... :)

I think I'm going to have to wash twice when I wash too. My hair is very greasy right now. I'm not sure how long I can stand it. :grin: