PDA

View Full Version : mason Pearson help please!

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 07:05 AM
So I posted the other day asking about boar bristle brushes and I think I have decided to get a mason Pearson, but I'm not sure about the sizes. I'm planning to grow to at least my hips so I will have fairly long hair at my goal, if not more. The bristle brush I have now is probably about the size of the MP handy size and I don't hate the size as much as I hate how close the bristles are together. They just don't glide very easily.

For those of you that have one what size did choose and why? Is it worth it to get the large brush or would the handy, or medium be sufficient for longer hair?

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Bump................

Nadine <3
July 14th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I always pick a smaller brush just because I have small hands and thin hair. For me, it's more about fitting in my hands comfortably and it's my biggest gripe with my tangle teezer. I am always throwing them.

lapushka
July 14th, 2016, 01:54 PM
So I posted the other day asking about boar bristle brushes and I think I have decided to get a mason Pearson, but I'm not sure about the sizes. I'm planning to grow to at least my hips so I will have fairly long hair at my goal, if not more. The bristle brush I have now is probably about the size of the MP handy size and I don't hate the size as much as I hate how close the bristles are together. They just don't glide very easily.

For those of you that have one what size did choose and why? Is it worth it to get the large brush or would the handy, or medium be sufficient for longer hair?

I think you pretty much answered your own question here, as the size you have now will probably be too small.

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I think you pretty much answered your own question here, as the size you have now will probably be too small.

The mason Pearson has a lot more space between the bristles.

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I always pick a smaller brush just because I have small hands and thin hair. For me, it's more about fitting in my hands comfortably and it's my biggest gripe with my tangle teezer. I am always throwing them.

My tangle teezer goes flying quite frequently lol. If the bristles weren't as gentle as they are I probably would hate the thing.

vega
July 14th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I recently got the popular one mixed bristles I chose the largest one cause I will have it forever and was annoyed with small brushes,

vega
July 14th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Very true calmyogi masons do have space between the bristles only mason Pearson users would understand

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I recently got the popular one mixed bristles I chose the largest one cause I will have it forever and was annoyed with small brushes,

Vega, would it still work with shorter hair? I know this is probably a stupid question, but hair is so different at different lengths so I'll take a chance and ask a weird question lol.

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Very true calmyogi masons do have space between the bristles only mason Pearson users would understand

:)

That's why I'm interested in one. After using my BASS BBB for awhile I have decided it's probably the bristle spacing that is aggravating.

vega
July 14th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Yes these brushes work on all lengths this brush is finger tips of God

Neverremember
July 15th, 2016, 04:17 AM
I have the handy size and it is serving me just as well at CBL as it was before. I am also planning on growing to waist at least and I am not quite sure if the handy one will do at the length (although I do not see a concrete reason for it not too). My advice would be to skip the medium size and start with a cheaper handy-sized one, which is very light and easy to carry around with you. Then, when you get longer and if you need it, it would make sense to upgrade to a large one, while keeping the handy one in your handbag.

Fru fru
August 4th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I'm also wondering which size to get, the pocket size is slightly over half the price of the regular size brush and I'm wondering if I can get away with that or if I should get one of the larger sizes.

Also, is there a difference in the firmness of the bristles? I'm looking at only pure bristle MP brushes.

Decoy24601
August 4th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Are the nylon bristles on the mixed BBBs tough on hair? I have a BBB now that has much thicker tufts and they're closer together, and they don't reach my most of my scalp because I have very thick hair. I think that the fact that the MP bristles are farther apart will help, but I just don't know if I should get nylon bristles in it too. I have a BBB knockoff brush that's full nylon bristles with the longer white ones in the center and it really tore my hair up, but I'm assuming that's because of the fact it was full nylon with imitation boar bristles, rather than the long white nylon strands.

I could always continue using my horn comb on my scalp and get a full BBB brush... hmmm...

Doreen
August 4th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I don't think the nylon is rough on my hair at all and seems to help with getting through tougher tangles and thicker sections of hair. My hair is pretty coarse, though.

Decoy24601
August 4th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I don't think the nylon is rough on my hair at all and seems to help with getting through tougher tangles and thicker sections of hair. My hair is pretty coarse, though.

Yeah, I think it'll be okay on my medium hair. The white/long nylon bristles in the center are wide enough to where I don't think it'll snag my hair.

Fru fru
August 5th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Are the nylon bristles on the mixed BBBs tough on hair? I have a BBB now that has much thicker tufts and they're closer together, and they don't reach my most of my scalp because I have very thick hair. I think that the fact that the MP bristles are farther apart will help, but I just don't know if I should get nylon bristles in it too. I have a BBB knockoff brush that's full nylon bristles with the longer white ones in the center and it really tore my hair up, but I'm assuming that's because of the fact it was full nylon with imitation boar bristles, rather than the long white nylon strands.

I could always continue using my horn comb on my scalp and get a full BBB brush... hmmm...

I think you are supposed to detangle your hair first so you would need to continue combing anyway. I use a horn comb as well and intend to detangle with that and smooth over with the BBB. My hair doesn't like nylon bristles so I'm going with the full boar bristle one.

calmyogi
August 5th, 2016, 07:14 AM
:)

That's why I'm interested in one. After using my BASS BBB for awhile I have decided it's probably the bristle spacing that is aggravating.

Sally's beauty sells a pretty good MP knock off that's mixed bristles. It's by beautique. I bought it just before getting my Mason Pearson and while it's not the same exact quality it's still a pretty good dupe. Just in case you wanted to try something similar before buying the expensive brush.

Fru fru
August 8th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I managed to get a wooden B2 mason Pearson from ebay for a good price, the lady had bought it and used it a few times but it was too hard for her. Does anyone know how to go about sanitising it? I thought about cleaning it with the cleaning brush and then spraying it with colloidal silver which is antibacterial and water like.

I also got a new B4 as I want to try and get my younger daughter on water only washing as she has lots of allergies to shampoo etc. I'm hoping they both arrive tomorrow:)

pandacobbler
August 8th, 2016, 11:06 PM
I have the MP child's brush in pink (it also comes in blue and white.) My hands are small so it is a good size for me. The bristles are fairly far apart, so my hair moves comfortably through and it is easy to clean of shed hairs. My hair is very fine; I read the child's brush was good for fine hair on adults and I have found that to be true for me. I think if one had very thick hair it would take longer to brush through. The child's brush also has the benefit of being less expensive, I think it is around one hundred-ten USD. So if your hair is super fine, you have small hands and like pastel colors, I would definitely recommend the MP child's brush!