PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oil Q & A

Daydreamer.
July 14th, 2016, 02:13 AM
I've read a few posts on here about members using mineral oil on their hair. Some say that it helped them avoid trims and chops. My ends are dry and need saving. So, I tried using a 3 drops of mineral oil (baby oil) on freshly washed, damp SL+ hair. My hair was easy to detangle and soft while wet. However, when my hair dried, it was frizzy, puffy, tangly and super dry. My ends were velcro-like and kept tangling. The same thing happened on both clarified hair and conditioned hair.
Here are my questions:
1. What am I doing wrong? Did anyone else get my results?
2. Will more drops help? Or should I use less?
3. Can I use another oil (like argan oil) on my length and then use mineral oil on my ends only?
4. I've seen some Indian oils that mix mineral oil with vegetable oils. Does mineral oil mix well with other oils? Will the nutrients of other oils still penetrate/help the hair? Or does mineral oil block the nutrients of other oils?
5. How thick is the heavy, pure mineral oil (found in pharmacies)? Is the heavier oil better for hair that is coarse or can handle more oil?
6. Does it effect freshly hennaed hair? I don't want to remove my henna.
Look forward to your answers!

lapushka
July 14th, 2016, 05:38 AM
You might need to look for a different oil if MO isn't working out. Try jojoba maybe, as that is as close to natural sebum as you can get.

If I use it as my oil/serum after washing I use 2/3 drops on classic length and that does the trick! If you have less hair, use less!

But it doesn't sound as though it's working for you.

Daydreamer.
July 14th, 2016, 05:41 AM
You might need to look for a different oil if MO isn't working out. Try jojoba maybe, as that is as close to natural sebum as you can get. If I use it as my oil/serum after washing I use 2/3 drops on classic length and that does the trick! If you have less hair, use less! But it doesn't sound as though it's working for you. I was thinking that, too. I just wanted to see if its possible to make it work.

lapushka
July 14th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I was thinking that, too. I just wanted to see if its possible to make it work.

1 drop might be enough for shoulder length. I mean, I need 2/3 drops for my entire length. You might just be overloading your hair!

missrandie
July 14th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I've read a few posts on here about members using mineral oil on their hair. Some say that it helped them avoid trims and chops. My ends are dry and need saving. So, I tried using a 3 drops of mineral oil (baby oil) on freshly washed, damp SL+ hair. My hair was easy to detangle and soft while wet. However, when my hair dried, it was frizzy, puffy, tangly and super dry. My ends were velcro-like and kept tangling. The same thing happened on both clarified hair and conditioned hair.
Here are my questions:
1. What am I doing wrong? Did anyone else get my results?
2. Will more drops help? Or should I use less?
3. Can I use another oil (like argan oil) on my length and then use mineral oil on my ends only?
4. I've seen some Indian oils that mix mineral oil with vegetable oils. Does mineral oil mix well with other oils? Will the nutrients of other oils still penetrate/help the hair? Or does mineral oil block the nutrients of other oils?
5. How thick is the heavy, pure mineral oil (found in pharmacies)? Is the heavier oil better for hair that is coarse or can handle more oil?
6. Does it effect freshly hennaed hair? I don't want to remove my henna.
Look forward to your answers!

It may be that the oil itself wasn't quite enough. A friend of mine told me this morning that she finally realized that her hair didn't need more serum or oil, but instead needed a thicker, creamy leave in.

Do you use leave in conditioner now?

Also, look into rinse out oil (Lapushka's signature has the links) and also into LOC. Even the LO steps are a big, big help.

Daydreamer.
July 15th, 2016, 01:33 AM
1 drop might be enough for shoulder length. I mean, I need 2/3 drops for my entire length. You might just be overloading your hair! When I used 3 drops, it didn't feel liike it spread evenly throughout my hair. My hair is super curly, so when I use other oils it takes more than a few drops to lightly cover all of my hair.

Daydreamer.
July 15th, 2016, 01:36 AM
It may be that the oil itself wasn't quite enough. A friend of mine told me this morning that she finally realized that her hair didn't need more serum or oil, but instead needed a thicker, creamy leave in. Do you use leave in conditioner now? Also, look into rinse out oil (Lapushka's signature has the links) and also into LOC. Even the LO steps are a big, big help. I don't use any leave in conditioner. I can't seem to find any good ones... I've tried the LO steps, but not the C since I have yet to find a good cream.

lapushka
July 15th, 2016, 04:32 AM
When I used 3 drops, it didn't feel liike it spread evenly throughout my hair. My hair is super curly, so when I use other oils it takes more than a few drops to lightly cover all of my hair.

Even when you spread it through your palms, and then scrunch in? You just need the lightest of coating, there's no need to have the feeling of covering your whole hair; that's the whole point with MO. :)

I think when you do want it to feel coated that you need to try and find a natural oil that works for you, like jojoba, or sweet almond, grapeseed, those types of oils. Lightweight ones.

Daydreamer.
July 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Even when you spread it through your palms, and then scrunch in? You just need the lightest of coating, there's no need to have the feeling of covering your whole hair; that's the whole point with MO. :) I think when you do want it to feel coated that you need to try and find a natural oil that works for you, like jojoba, or sweet almond, grapeseed, those types of oils. Lightweight ones. Yes, I made sure to spread it evenly on my palms and between my fingers before applying it to my hair. So, how is it supposed to feel on the hair? How do you know when it's too much or too little?

lapushka
July 15th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, I made sure to spread it evenly on my palms and between my fingers before applying it to my hair. So, how is it supposed to feel on the hair? How do you know when it's too much or too little?

I know when my hair gets too smooth, it's too much. But it's typical that you only need a couple drops for about classic length. So use less when hair is shorter. Otherwise, just switch to a natural oil. You might fare better with that. Some people just can't tolerate some oils well.

I need 10 drops of MO when doing rinse-out oil, more and it becomes too slippy. You might have more luck doing rinse-out oil (link is in my signature).

Daydreamer.
July 18th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I know when my hair gets too smooth, it's too much. But it's typical that you only need a couple drops for about classic length. So use less when hair is shorter. Otherwise, just switch to a natural oil. You might fare better with that. Some people just can't tolerate some oils well. I need 10 drops of MO when doing rinse-out oil, more and it becomes too slippy. You might have more luck doing rinse-out oil (link is in my signature). Out of curiosity, does the same rule apply to natural oils?

lapushka
July 18th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Out of curiosity, does the same rule apply to natural oils?

For the rinse-out oil, you mean? Yes, I'd go with 10 drops first, see how you like that, then build on that if your hair can stand more. I only do ROO on the last 3/4 inches of my hair, though. I don't even let it get near my ears.