PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil and CO washing

davidspd
October 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I currently use coconut oil on my dry hair before shampooing and conditioning, but I'm thinking of switching to conditioner only washing. Will conditioner only be good enough to get the coconut oil out or am i going to end up with chip-pan hair?

thanks

bunnii
October 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Davidspd :)

I use Olive oil and sometimes coconut oil and I CO. I have no problems getting the oil out, some members (including me) believe that COing is better for getting oil out.

HTH :)

davidspd
October 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks bunnii. Do you find you need to leave the conditioner on longer before you rinse it out if you've oiled before hand, or do you just need to rinse more?

bunnii
October 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I normally rinse the oil out for a couple of minutes then CO rubbing the conditioner in for about 3 or 4 minutes, and rinse some more. sometimes I need to wash again but not often unless I really soak my hair in oil lol :)

Honey39
October 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hi there,

The weirdest thing is, as Bunnii says, that CO-washing is much much more effective (for me) at getting oil out. More so than shampooing. I have no idea why this is the case, but it comes out really easily. You have to CO with loads of conditioner, and the trick for me is to let it sit for about 5 minutes (while I shower), and then stick my head under the shower for half a second to add more water, and then 'lather' the conditioner up and really massage it into your hair and scalp, and then rinse pretty thoroughly. Try it, it's amazing that it works so well!

Sihda
October 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
It works for me as well. I'm also using coconut oil and conditioner only, and it makes my hair really lovely, not greasy at all.

Melisande
October 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I oil my hair with olive oil quite often, and I always soak my hair with conditioner when I want to wash it out. Conditioner is really great for making an emulsion - and I get the oil from my scalp with much diluted gentle shampoo. So there should be no problem in getting oil out.

gdimoonbeam
October 20th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I was sceptical about COing but today has been my second day. The night before the first time I put coconut oil in my hair. When I got up I decided to start because i was not going to work. Not onley did it get out the coconut oil it amazingly cleaned my scalp. My hair never looked better.

harley mama
October 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I use coconut oil daily on both wet and dry hair. I don't have any problem getting clean hair and scalp when I CO. I use VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint. I get in the shower and let the warm water run through my hair a minute or so and massage my scalp a bit to make sure it is all soaking wet. I use a lot of conditioner and massage it into my scalp good. Use it just as you do shampoo. Then, I let it sit on my head and work its magic while I finish up the rest of my shower duty. I add a little water and massage my scalp again and then I let the water run through my hair as I detangle with a wide toothed comb. I work from the bottom and move up to the scalp and when I finish one side I gently move my hair over the other shoulder and work on the opposite side until it is tangle free. Be sure to start at the ends and work up slowly to avoid damage or excessive pulling. After all of the tangles have been removed, I rinse really well. I gently scrunch out the excess water. I scrunch a quarter sized blob of oil into my still drippy hair and plop in an old tee shirt for about 30-45 minutes.

If my hair looks dry or frizzy and needs some calming, I scrunch in a nickel sized blob of oil and spritz with filtered water that has lavender EO added.

My curls love the added oil. My hair is dry and I don't have scalp problems so, using coconut oil or any other oil as a leave in works great for me. I have never had issues removing the oil using CO.

Good luck. I hope you get good results!

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't had any problem with getting coconut oil out of my hair with CO, but I have had some issues with olive oil. My hair is pretty greasy to begin with and I've found that when I do a heavy oiling with olive oil, I always have to shampoo or my hair is too stringy and oily.

maskedrose
October 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Like others have said, I find that CO gets oil "out" better than shampoo, but doesn't strip it all out so that the benefits of the oil are not gone after a wash. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically with CO I can heavy oil and go longer between washes without my hair becoming greasy or smelly like it would if I tried to do these things when using shampoo and conditioner. They key is to use tons of conditioner (I use VO5 chamomile tea therapy) and massage it well into your scalp and length, then let it sit for 5-10 mins. Then, of course, rinse thoroughly and voila! Shiny, moisturized hair.

Oh, and I use coconut oil, olive oil, and shea butter, so for me CO works for all of those.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I tried this tonight! I used olive oil with a drop of rosemary oil. Heated gently and applied to dry hair for 15 minutes. Then COed. My hair is damp and in braids for the night, but I'm anxious to see how it looks tomorrow!!

Vijikanth
October 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Natural Coconut oil is the best. The hair doesn't lose its texture and shine. And I'm free of dandruff or any other issues like dryness.