PDA

View Full Version : Schweppes, chelating and the pool

miss_donya
July 13th, 2016, 10:07 AM
So I have to go to a pool tomorrow as a part of my job at a children's summer camp.
I decided to take high measures to ensure that my hair does not get affected:agree:, I got two swim caps ( one latex-y and the other was fabric-y) and I'm planning on wearing them both, if I can.
I also searche for Canada Dry club soda but I could only find the Schweppes soda water, would that be sufficient? The igredients are only sodium bicarbonate and carbonated water!:rolleyes:
Also I'm thinking about oiling it with avocado oil ( very thick on my hair) prior to getting in the pool and wearing the caps , just in case I accidentally get water in.
As for rinsing afterwards, do I just spill a can on my head then shampoo and Deep condition?

kelseyxface
July 13th, 2016, 12:03 PM
From what I looked up, swim caps do not do a good job of keeping water out.
however, conditioner works just as well in place of oil! One thing I did read is to wet your hair with water FIRST before putting it up and going in the pool. Then try adding a nice thick layer of your favorite conditioner, or just oil it. Wetting the hair first makes it so its already absorbed and saturated with water so if you do get some chlorine water on it, it won't be able to absorb as much bc it's already wet with water. (On second though, doing a nice SMT under the cap might not be a bad thought!)
Personally, I think you won't need to use the club soda after the swim! Especially bc I feel like you'll be wary of how often and for how long your head is under water :P Just shampoo and condition as usual! If your hair does feel like it has some build up or is dry and you suspect it might be the pool water, do use the club soda!

Also any club soda or soda water will work. I would just dump the can over my head and massage it into my scalp and dip my ends into a cup of the stuff. I'd let it sit for like 5 minutes and then do my poo and conditioner routine. That seemed to work fine for me!

Decoy24601
July 13th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Hmm, one thought is I would worry that too much conditioner under a swim cap would make it fall off much easier... and then you're left with a head full of conditioner in the pool.

I think oiling + soaking it in water beforehand would probably be sufficient.

vampyyri
July 13th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Soda water... for hair? This is the first time I'm hearing of this :confused:

gthlvrmx
July 13th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Soda water... for hair? This is the first time I'm hearing of this :confused:

Yes, you can use club soda for your hair to get rid of certain minerals like calcium. :) It is also helpful for people who swim in chlorinated pools often. There's an article about it on the old LHC articles linked on the way back machine website on here.

Darkhorse1
July 13th, 2016, 10:09 PM
I did a lot of research for this and many people say plain water--soak hair down --will protect hair. Remember hair can only absorb so much water, so if it's soaked with plain water, it can't absorb the chlorine. Then, wash when you're done swimming or at least rinse with plain water after. Another suggestion was to braid hair as it's harder to penetrate the thicker cluster of hair. Swim caps can keep hair dry, but I think you'd have to invest in those olympic swimmer type ones.

Hairkay
July 14th, 2016, 03:30 AM
I did a lot of research for this and many people say plain water--soak hair down --will protect hair. Remember hair can only absorb so much water, so if it's soaked with plain water, it can't absorb the chlorine. Then, wash when you're done swimming or at least rinse with plain water after. Another suggestion was to braid hair as it's harder to penetrate the thicker cluster of hair. Swim caps can keep hair dry, but I think you'd have to invest in those olympic swimmer type ones.

Good post, swimming in a pool with you conditioner leaching out in the water is not healthy.

miss_donya
July 14th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the feedbacks. :o
I did a quick water rinse before hand and drenched it in avocado oil, the thickest and hardest oil to remove for my hair :eek:.
I felt like the cap was going to let water in anyway when I tried it on, also I had a co-worker with me and my ego couldn't handle the idea of looking dorky in front of him :pinktongue:
I braided my hair and put it in a bun and did my best to protect it, however it still got a bit wet thanks to the kids splashing around.
Then I opened some soda cans and run them through my head, it still sitting on my head under a shower cap. Is that too much? I didn't know that I had to rub it in. I will now, before I shampoo. Also can I use sulfate free shampoo?

miss_donya
July 14th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I just washed my hair, sulfate shampoo and then a basic vo5 blackberry and sage to remove the oil residue. I'm not sure what deep treatment I should do, I kinda soaked them in the sea water for a while, my ends feel funny; almost like being coated but they're not

miss_donya
July 14th, 2016, 08:31 AM
*soda water haha sorry about my auto correct fail.