PDA

View Full Version : At which length you had to adjust your routine?

Boadicea
July 13th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Was there a moment in your hair growing journey that you had to adjust your haircare / hairstyling routine? And if yes, what did you change?

For me growing hair beyond waist length means: putting my hair up more often. And getting rid of layers so my hair is less prone to breackage (thicker and stronger hemline instead of fairytail ends). O, and I've added silicones to my regime.

Silverbleed
July 13th, 2016, 09:21 AM
It feels like I'm constantly adjusting my routine. Due to season and weather but mostly length. I've got a lot of trouble figuring out a way to dry my hair with my sh*tty layers.

lapushka
July 13th, 2016, 10:14 AM
BSL for me was the cut-off point where my routine had to change. I needed "stronger" products (conditioners with silicones), and I typically use a conditioner for dry, damaged hair (even though my hair is not damaged), but those are the most moisturizing conditioners out there. My scalp is oily, so I treat it differently, with harsh shampoos (+sulfates, -silicones).

Chromis
July 13th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I find some updos work better at certain lengths than others. If I have been been having trouble getting things to stay comfy, I try a different set of buns or a different fork/stick. My washing and oiling etc are pretty much the same at knee as they were when it was shorter (I only found shampoo bars after BSL, but I would have happily switched sooner I am sure!)

About the only change I can think of really is that I used to comb my hair over a dry sink and then scoop up the hair to throw out (do not try this over a sink with even a few drops of water in it, what a pain!) and then I switched to combing over a trashcan on top of the toilet and then on the floor. Outside is better still at any length if the weather is nice! When I braid I have to wrap it once around my neck so I can reach the end easily, but that is pretty simple to do.

Mostly it behaves much better for me when longer. The few times I wear it down, it stays behind me better and when I sit down I can curl it neatly in my lap, like a very hairy kitten. It is much easier to put up as well in general and I have a wide variety of styles to choose from.

Magalo
July 13th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Past hip! Wearing it loose at home is a bother so it's always in a braid or lazy wrap. As soon as I bend there is hair is everywhere and I can't see anything. :lol: Also it's HOT!

It's also the length where I couldn't use my 5" sticks and 3.5" forks anymore. My lazy wrap just pop off the end lol.

vampyyri
July 13th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I've been adjusting my routine all the time since I joined here, before that... I basically did the same thing from SL to WL I suppose.

turtlelover
July 13th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Since I hit BSL, I've noticed my hair tangling and in the way a lot more often, so it is up a LOT more now. Of course, the 90+ degree heat is also partially responsible for THAT! I haven't had to adjust products yet, but I do seem to use a bit more pre-shampoo oil now.

Groovy Granny
July 13th, 2016, 11:09 AM
APL was the start of my doing a bedtime hairstyle for protection and comfort (braid/bun/ponytail)....later to have the braids and ponys flipped over the pillow.

When I hit waist I bought BBB's and wood bristle brushes, chopped the last of my layers and tend to put it up more in hot weather or if I am doing chores.
I noticed the need for more moisture products, use of oils on the ends, and I also began using satin pillow cases.

My hair loves cones, so my cone free product experiment was short lived.
Because of that I started using Joico chelating and clarifying shampoo with a KPAK conditioner once a month.

My hair is 85% silver now so I use a silver S&C regularly

turtlelover
July 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
APL was the start of my doing a bedtime hairstyle for protection and comfort (braid/bun/ponytail)....later to have the braids and ponys flipped over the pillow.

When I hit waist I bought BBB's and wood bristle brushes, chopped the last of my layers and tend to put it up more in hot weather or if I am doing chores.
I noticed the need for more moisture products, use of oils on the ends, and I also began using satin pillow cases.

My hair loves cones, so my cone free product experiment was short lived.

I *STILL* have not settled on a great way to sleep. I have cats that LOVE to catch their claws in my hair when it is in a bun or braided, yet if I leave it loose, it tangles. I think I probably need a sleep cap, but the last time I bought one, it was too tight for my huge head. I think twin braids underneath a sleep cap would be ideal. I probably should find a way to make my own. I wish I was more "domesticated" and actually had learned how to sew! LOL I started a thread awhile ago asking about where to buy a sleep cap for a big head, but I can't find it now.

Nadine <3
July 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
BSL for me! That's when I noticed more tangles so I had to be more diligent about carefully detangling and finding the right leave ins and silicones my hair likes.

Groovy Granny
July 13th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I *STILL* have not settled on a great way to sleep. I have cats that LOVE to catch their claws in my hair when it is in a bun or braided, yet if I leave it loose, it tangles. I think I probably need a sleep cap, but the last time I bought one, it was too tight for my huge head. I think twin braids underneath a sleep cap would be ideal. I probably should find a way to make my own. I wish I was more "domesticated" and actually had learned how to sew! LOL I started a thread awhile ago asking about where to buy a sleep cap for a big head, but I can't find it now.

:hmm: I saw that thread or a similar one about making a cap some time last month; I'll have to poke around for it.

LOL yeah cats could be a problem; must seem like a play toy to them (I have a shih tzu) ;)

My hair rarely tangles, so I can just do low ponytails and flip them if I don't want braid waves.
Buns I do less often because my hair is slippery and it is tricky to find a comfy spot on the top of my head if I use an octopus claw.

A cap would make me nuts; too hot/slippery/restrictive :p

HairPlease
July 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM
BSL changed everything. I could no longer sleep with my hair loose at all, ever. I started needing to ease up on shampoo, massage my scalp and bring some of the oils to the ends, and put it up more often. Wind? Gotta put it up. Even 1 mph of breeze is a doom sentence to a half hour finger detangling. I have absurdly tangly hair.

Groovy Granny
July 13th, 2016, 11:44 AM
:hmm: I saw that thread or a similar one about making a cap some time last month; I'll have to poke around for it.

Oh this is what I saw; not sure if that's what I was thinking of though lol

Let's See Your Sleep Style! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138653&highlight=sleep)

There are a few ladies with long lengths that use them; they could give you tips on how to make/buy them....and maybe they posted in the thread I had in mind.

Hope that helps; if I come a come across something different in a thread I'll pm you :)

ETA: I found YOUR thread turtlelover Sleep cap for someone with a big head? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135489)

turtlelover
July 13th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Oh this is what I saw; not sure if that's what I was thinking of though lol

Let's See Your Sleep Style! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138653&highlight=sleep)

There are a few ladies with long lengths that use them; they could give you tips on how to make/buy them....and maybe they posted in the thread I had in mind.

Hope that helps; if I come a come across something different in a thread I'll pm you :)

ETA: I found YOUR thread turtlelover Sleep cap for someone with a big head? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135489)

That's it! I knew it was SOMEWHERE out there in cyberspace! HAHA

CurlyCap
July 13th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Waist, hip, and then again right after classic.

Basically, each I have to learn to deal with 1) the sheer amount of hair and realizing that my frustration is from old techniques aren't working 2) the effects of unwinding longer curls attempting to detangle them.

Decoy24601
July 13th, 2016, 09:01 PM
I didn't really start caring about my hair until I joined LHC and my hair was already to TBL, so before then my routine really didn't change at all. I had long hair for most of my childhood and cut it to my shoulders when I was about 12, then slowly grew it out over time until it's as long as it is now. I treated my hair the same way when it was SL as I did at TBL before I joined LHC. The only time I drastically changed my hair routine was about two months ago, one month before I joined LHC. I started paying more attention to my hair after reading about "no poo", tried that out (didn't work for me).

Obsidian
July 13th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I'm somewhere between shoulder and BSL and recently had to start using conditioner and more cones. When it was really short, a quick ACV rinse was all it needed then suddenly, bam! I started getting dry and tangled.
Just this week I've started to use a little homemade body butter on the length instead of leave it, it's making my hair super soft.

school of fish
July 13th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Hipish seems to be the care tipping point for me. Anything up to about hip I can do pretty much anything within reason - moderate heat styling, somewhat careless handling, any old wash routine with any old product... after hip I had to start being more diligent. At TBL I still get away with wearing my hair loose most of the time (even in windstorms) but now I do need to make sure the supporting care is consistently good. That means sticking to my current wash/condition routine, microtrimming frequently, bunning for sleep and providing regular moisture. It's a pretty low-maintenance routine but I do have to apply it consistently if I want to keep this length in a healthy state.

I suspect beyond TBL would require more adjustments to the routine, but since I'm not going any longer than I am now that's a bridge I don't have to cross :p

Hairkay
July 14th, 2016, 03:32 AM
It was BSL for me. I had to swap to putting my hair up because I was getting breakage at the ends due to too much rubbing on shoulders/collars and my back.

anou
July 14th, 2016, 03:33 AM
MBL. I had to start using conditioner. But I also have to change my routine according to the weather.

Boadicea
July 14th, 2016, 06:39 AM
I just reminded.. From midback length and beyomynd my hair needs a DT or pre-wash oiling every week. And I used to pineapple my hair, but now I braid it before going to bed. And I add a leave-in every time I do so.

lapis_lazuli
July 14th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Up to tailbone length, I always wore my hair in an english braid, night and day. Now I wear a LWB in its place, which has minimized damage a lot. It works for me. :)

calmyogi
July 14th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Just now at BSL/heading into high waist. I have noticed it's more tangly and the English braid I wore to bed doesn't work for me anymore. It bunches up behind the back of my neck and gives me a headache. I have settled on a top knot for now until it's long enough to stay over my pillow on a silk scarf.

missrandie
July 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I had to change it up around shoulder, because my ends were starting to get dry. So I started oil rinsing them and adding leave in conditioner.

I suspect that here soon I'll have to change it up again, but that hasn't happened yet.

JadedByEntropy
July 14th, 2016, 10:11 AM
at hip i flipped to wash, and its been smooth sailing ever since. probably should have done that sooner.

triumphator!
July 14th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I remember adjusting to more protective styles at BSL, and changing all my wash methods at BCL because things were getting out of hand in the shower ;)

brickworld13
July 14th, 2016, 11:20 AM
What is routine?! :lol: In all seriousness, I'm constantly making changes. The wash routine is still basically the same just with different products. Even drying is pretty much the same. The styling is where almost all of my changes have been made and those are made in the moment. I did learn after my last big trim that I don't like blunt ends. They don't bun for me at all.

sakuraemily
July 14th, 2016, 02:53 PM
After shoulder length, moisture matters more for me and I also tie up my hair more. I think I also get silicone build up because I find the top of my hair(just shampooed) much softer than the conditioned bottoms.

florenonite
July 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I'm somewhere between APL and BSL at the moment, and this is definitely a length where I have to start making changes. A month ago I couldn't do any buns or French braids; now if I leave my hair loose it gets tangled in the wind and catches under the strap of my handbag. In the past couple of months it's also gotten long enough that I've had to switch to morning washing as if I wash it after work it's still wet by bedtime (my hair is incredibly absorbent).

This is actually the most awkward length for me; my hair is long enough I need to start treating it as 'long hair', but short enough I can do exactly 1 bun and still have to wash every other day rather than twice a week.

CarrotTop
July 15th, 2016, 02:22 PM
At BSL, I had to start using an actual comb or brush to detangle my hair, instead of fingers and a boar bristle brush. At waist length, I needed to start layering a leave-in conditioner under a silicone serum, instead of using just one or the other. At hip length, I started looping my bedtime braid back up to keep the ends on the silk pillowcase. And, most recently, I've found that, at TBL, my hair is happiest if I use a silicone-free conditioner before my favorite coney conditioner. :)

Raventresses
July 16th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I would say, the last few months, now that I am solidly at waist and moving beyond... I didn't realize it happening while I was pregnant but my hair grew like a weed. And suddenly it started getting stuck in places it never had. Then once I had a newborn, that opened up a whole new world of things to change. And now I'm finally finishing up my post-partum shed (I certainly hope so at least...). Over the past few months I've realized how much more attention my hair needs now, between the length, hormonal changes, and general everyday wear and tear... I wear it up more than I ever have before, I make sure to give it regular oilings, and I make sure to stick to a good wash routine/schedule. Keeping it out of little one's clutches is by far the most important. I can hear it rip every time he grabs and pulls!! He's lucky he's cute!

meteor
July 16th, 2016, 03:33 PM
- After Hip / Tailbone length:

started coiling/bunning braid for the night (without hairstick);

started doing Scalp-Only washes (I love them: they are such a time saver!) between full washes;

reduced the number of times I wear sectioned or other more complex updos (with accent braids, etc) due to time constraints and potential tangling issues.

- After Classic / Fingertip length:

started having issues reaching the ends of hair that are longer than fingers, so I started combing by lifting ends up.

started towel-drying top section in a turban while conditioning the length covered in plastic to save time (by the time I rinse only the length, the top section is already relatively dry).

shifted from braided LWB to double-loop type buns: L-Infinity and Spidermom's - to distribute hair's length better.

As for S&C products and oils, I just try whatever products strike my fancy judging by what my hair seems to need that day. Products don't seem to make a huge difference for me in the long run anyway. To me, handling and protection is everything though.

Johannah
July 17th, 2016, 02:48 AM
After hip I needed to introduce my hair to protein! :lol: Hydrolyzed keratin to be more specific, and gelatin treatments! I also learned my hair is low porosity and a lot of leave-ins, especially oils, didn't work *at all*. Before hip it was kinda okay, but since hip it was terrible. I suddenly couldn't stand too much moisture as well and my hair gets over-moisturized pretty fast now (especially if I CO-wash!).

Right now I'm going through a phase my hair needs a break from protein, I think at least, so maybe there's another switch up coming? Who knows :lol:

littlelivething
July 17th, 2016, 08:42 AM
My hair is just about at apl, depends on the day because of my curls. I notice that it gets tangled up in things a lot--clothing, pillow. It's still too short for me to wear up while sleeping, but I got a silk pillowcase and so far so good with less snagging. I also had to get more serious about treating my dandruff because it flakes off and hangs out in my mess of hair for days. Gross! Oh and I now wear my hair up in pigtail braids when I hike, bike, clean, etc.

VikingVampChick
July 24th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Hitting shoulder length (went from almost waist to bob to restart growing contest with daughter). I can't stand it loose. South Florida, Hagrid hair...not fun. Add in that it feels like ants and what-not crawling on me when it touches me...yuck

Anje
July 24th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Since I hit classic, I've found I'm braiding it a lot more, so it's still contained even when I unbun it. Not much before that, though. A year or so before I found LHC (I was at about BSL at the time), I realized my constant ponytails were causing breakage and switched to buns, but that wasn't really a change necessitated by length in my mind. I've always worn it up.

Stepo_NiNha
July 27th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I created a thread now regarding my will to change my routine and shampoo less because I feel that the longer my hair gets the less scalp oil build up I have. The oil spreads throughout the length. I have 2 inches to hit hip length. I'm a solid WL.

Unlike many non-LHCers would think, many people here (like me) find that the longer your hair gets the more it behaves and the easier it gets to take care of!

That's awesome ;)

Boadicea
July 28th, 2016, 02:20 AM
- After Hip / Tailbone length:

started coiling/bunning braid for the night (without hairstick);

started doing Scalp-Only washes (I love them: they are such a time saver!) between full washes;

reduced the number of times I wear sectioned or other more complex updos (with accent braids, etc) due to time constraints and potential tangling issues.

- After Classic / Fingertip length:

started having issues reaching the ends of hair that are longer than fingers, so I started combing by lifting ends up.

started towel-drying top section in a turban while conditioning the length covered in plastic to save time (by the time I rinse only the length, the top section is already relatively dry).

shifted from braided LWB to double-loop type buns: L-Infinity and Spidermom's - to distribute hair's length better.

As for S&C products and oils, I just try whatever products strike my fancy judging by what my hair seems to need that day. Products don't seem to make a huge difference for me in the long run anyway. To me, handling and protection is everything though.

This sounds really interesting! I will look into those hairdos you mentioned.

How do you do scalp washes?
And how do you bun a braid for the night without hairs pulling on your head?

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 12:28 PM
My biggest change is that I can't sit in the bathtub water and fingercomb out my hair now that it's WL, because the ends hit the water. I can still do it if I kneel in the water and gain that extra inch or two, but it's not gonna last. I might have to get a shower stool to sit on when I need to do a bath instead of a shower. (Fatigue issues mean I can't necessarily stand that long every week, the side of the tub is uncomfortable and I will drip outside it, and goodness knows washing my hair is also taking longer and longer...)

The other issue is the one I mainly joined LHC for: more updo ideas! I'm outgrowing all the bun styles I know and definitely need to find more.

meteor
August 1st, 2016, 01:14 PM
This sounds really interesting! I will look into those hairdos you mentioned.

How do you do scalp washes?
And how do you bun a braid for the night without hairs pulling on your head?

What helps me avoid any pulling is that I don't sleep with a secured bun. ;) I either simply take out the hairstick/fork from my daily braided bun, don't undo it, but cover it loosely with a silky scarf and go to sleep like that. Or I simply coil up my braid, a bit like a cinnabun, loosely and place it (covered with a silky scarf) above my head on the pillow. This allows me to roll around because the hair is always above my head and still loosely contained. The bun falls apart at night, but the braid stays somewhat intact, even though I don't even secure it or only use a silky ribbon at the tassel. I can usually re-bun the same braid easily after braiding the loosened ends a bit :)

As for scalp-only washes, I do them (after shaking water+shampoo in a separate applicator bottle) one of these ways:

- Over a sink, length braided and hanging down my back. Since the braid is long/heavy, it doesn't fall forward as I'm leaning forward, and the water goes down forward and doesn't get into my braid. (If the braid tends to fall forward, you can hold it down with a bra-strap or any top.)

- In the shower, with length in a braided bun covered with a couple shower caps. I first wash just the front/hairline thoroughly. Then I take out the hairstick and hold the braid up (held with the plastic cap) and I wash around and under the braid with one hand at that point.

After that, I just wrap a towel/T-shirt like a turban around scalp only, so the dry braid sticks out at the top and hangs down outside. The scalp dries very quickly this way.

There are a few good threads on this ;) :

- Scalp-only washing! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137528
- Technique for scalp-only washing? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49219
- PonyDry, scalp washing tool: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047
- First successful scalp-only wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848

Doreen
August 2nd, 2016, 12:38 AM
Past BSL I started using more conditioner; past TBL I added a second, thicker conditioner into my routine for the ends. Somewhere around fingertip it stopped being practical to wear it down majority of the time. At knee I've started doing a pre-wash conditioning, but that was by choice/wanting to experiment rather than out of necessity.

Ambystoma
August 2nd, 2016, 11:43 PM
Around waist things changed for me in that it became more enjoyable to wear it up the vast majority of the time. Around hip, I started to notice that unless I clarified with a swimmers shampoo monthly that the last 3 or 4 inches wouldn't stay soft.

sanguinebread
August 3rd, 2016, 02:17 AM
When I was first growing it out from my buzz cut it got three or four inches long before I started having to do... basically anything to it. (When it was buzzed I didn't even really wash it beyond rubbing water through it. Possibly kind of gross.)

Around waist I started drying it up/plopped for an hour before drip drying because otherwise gravity would stretch out the curl structures more than I liked. I also switched from detangling with a plastic comb to my fingers for similar reasons. At hip it started taking so long to dry I had to be really careful about timing, although that's not precisely a care routine issue. (I think it takes around six hours most days; I got out of the shower four hours ago and it's still damp. One day I woke up after eight hours and it was still too wet to put up, but that was unusual.)

It's at BCL stretched now and I just started using a sleep braid for when it's not wet at night. (If I braid my hair wet it will not dry until I take it out.) That one was instigated by my dog deciding it made a great bed last week while I was asleep, lying down on top of all of my hair, and pinning me down until I got her to move.

Boadicea
August 5th, 2016, 02:14 AM
What helps me avoid any pulling is that I don't sleep with a secured bun. ;) I either simply take out the hairstick/fork from my daily braided bun, don't undo it, but cover it loosely with a silky scarf and go to sleep like that. Or I simply coil up my braid, a bit like a cinnabun, loosely and place it (covered with a silky scarf) above my head on the pillow. This allows me to roll around because the hair is always above my head and still loosely contained. The bun falls apart at night, but the braid stays somewhat intact, even though I don't even secure it or only use a silky ribbon at the tassel. I can usually re-bun the same braid easily after braiding the loosened ends a bit :)

As for scalp-only washes, I do them (after shaking water+shampoo in a separate applicator bottle) one of these ways:

- Over a sink, length braided and hanging down my back. Since the braid is long/heavy, it doesn't fall forward as I'm leaning forward, and the water goes down forward and doesn't get into my braid. (If the braid tends to fall forward, you can hold it down with a bra-strap or any top.)

- In the shower, with length in a braided bun covered with a couple shower caps. I first wash just the front/hairline thoroughly. Then I take out the hairstick and hold the braid up (held with the plastic cap) and I wash around and under the braid with one hand at that point.

After that, I just wrap a towel/T-shirt like a turban around scalp only, so the dry braid sticks out at the top and hangs down outside. The scalp dries very quickly this way.

There are a few good threads on this ;) :

- Scalp-only washing! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137528
- Technique for scalp-only washing? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49219
- PonyDry, scalp washing tool: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047
- First successful scalp-only wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848

Thank you so much for the great advises!

matentur
August 15th, 2016, 03:10 PM
I have grown mine out from the a buzz cut for 2 years now. Maybe about 7-8 months I realized I shouldn't wash it every day and started spacing those out. I also decreased the amount of shampoo I used to just a very small pea sized amount and started using conditioner about the same time. A couple months after that I added in coconut oil as part of my routine. Mostly that hasn't change too much since then, though I wash usually once a week now and it takes longer to dry of course.