PDA

View Full Version : I joined the "Big Chop" club!

KittyBird
July 13th, 2016, 07:53 AM
So basically I went to see a hairdresser and got my hair cut off! :D
I've been thinking about cutting short for a long while, and I had made some not so secret plans to do it sometime next year, when my natural hair colour would have been getting closer to shoulder length (it's currently at eye length). However, last saturday I decided that I wanted to do it sooner, like right now! Why should I spend another year feeling miserable about my cr*ptasticly tangly hair and heavy, uncomfortable buns, when I could cut it all off and feel much happier about it? I researched some of the local hair salons and found one that looked promising. I went online yesterday to book an appointment, and today I went in and got a pretty awesome cut.

The hairdresser was pretty nervous about cutting off so much hair, but I assured her that I had thought about it for a long time and was ready for a shorter, lighter 'do. She did exactly what I told her, which was to cut it at a bit past shoulder length, layer it and encourage my waves. I love how it looks and feels, so light and bouncy! It actually moves when I walk, instead of just hanging there like a big, heavy curtain.

I've been experimenting a bit with putting it up, which I still sorta kinda can do. The hair at the front falls out, but I don't mind, I'll just pin it back with some xs flexi-8s or bobby pins. I can do a tails up with a large flexi-8, and an itty bitty twisty thing with a large ficcare. Not selling any of my hair toys, because who knows, I might grow long again some day. I'll try to get some updo pics later.

Here's the before pic, taken yesterday. My hair was at bcl then.
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0069%20copy_zpsrnrukrov.jpg

And here's the after pics!
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0071%20copy_zpsqxtxrxzl.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0072%20copy_zps9dkkjltm.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0074%20copy_zpsibkbmqpp.jpg

The hairdresser used a Bumble & bumble curl creme, and she scrunched my hair before twirling some pieces around her fingers. I love the spirals it created! I look forward to experimenting with products, plopping and diffusing. I feel like my hair is finally fun again!:D

Inga-Marjukka
July 13th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Wow, your curls look amazing! Congratulations on your new hair and I'm glad you're happy, it's a big decision.

school of fish
July 13th, 2016, 08:27 AM
The big chop club appears to be growing rapidly right now! Have been considering something of a chop myself but will likely hold out for a while yet... ;)

Your hair looks absolutely beautiful!!! That length really does highlight your beautiful spiral curls, and it's so good to hear you so happy with your hair!! That's what it's all about in the end :D Gorgeous :)

GrowingOut
July 13th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Congrats!! That cut really suits you, and I'm glad you're happy with the results!! :D

samanthaa
July 13th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Oh, wow, that is a big chop! I have long admired your hair and updos, but it's great that you're so much happier with this new length! As the others have said, this cut really does suit you! :)

H o n є y ❤
July 13th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Wow your hair really does look gorgeous! Congratulations!!

Sparklylady82
July 13th, 2016, 08:54 AM
You are one of my inspirations bit I'm glad you are happy with the cut! Maybe once you grow out your natural color you'll grow again?!

Nightshade
July 13th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Oh, that turned out lovely :) I wondered when you'd do this!

lapushka
July 13th, 2016, 09:30 AM
That's a big big change. OMG. I'm stunned. :) It looks pretty! :D

KittyBird
July 13th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! :heartbeat
Sparklylady82, I might. I don't suppose I'll stay short forever, I will probably start craving long hair again at some point. :o I definitely won't be going to the hairdresser all the time, so it'll probably grow to bsl or something between each cut. I'm lazy when it comes to stuff like that. :o

Kherome
July 13th, 2016, 09:50 AM
The big chop club appears to be growing rapidly right now! Have been considering something of a chop myself but will likely hold out for a while yet... ;)

It always does this time of year. People get all "OMG summer! Shorter fun hair! Yes!" and then fall comes and about half of them come back here lamenting the chop and wondering why oh why they did it. I'm certain Kittybird won't be one of the lamenting folks though, this is something she's been considering for ages and it wasn't a "Here's a fun idea, chop off hair today!" moment.

Kittybird you have such nice hair, I like the cut. If my hair was as heavy as yours I'd never get it past waist most likely. As you say, it would be so heavy and hot and even buns must feel like a lead weight on the back of your head. I'm so used to seeing your red and dark red ombre that I won't recognize you when it grows out! haha

turtlelover
July 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM
If you are happy, I am happy. I can't deny that I loved your long hair, but the new cut is cute.

Groovy Granny
July 13th, 2016, 11:17 AM
That looks awesome; I am so happy it turned out as you hoped!

Enjoy :cheer:

Lisa Long4Life
July 13th, 2016, 11:30 AM
wow beautiful :thud:

diddiedaisy
July 13th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Your hair looked beautiful long and its looks beautiful shorter, I hope you enjoy it :)

I bet your head feels a lot lighter lol

KittyBird
July 13th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Thank you, Kherome, turtlelover and GG! Yeah, I do tend to think (and whine) about things for a very long time before actually doing something. It's more of a "1-2 years rule" rather than a "2 weeks rule" in my case. :o My scalp was achy and sore almost every time I wore a bun at this length (which was almost every day, because I work in a hospital), and I suspect that probably isn't healthy in the long run. It was somewhat better at waist/hip length, but it was difficult to get the bun to stay up without pulling too tight, which would then cause discomfort. I can still get it up when needed at this length, and I can wear it down without it getting stuck everywhere. DBF can also hug me and put his arm around my shoulders without me squealing because he pulled my hair or accidentally punched my bun :cool:

ETA: Thank you Lisa Long4life and diddiedaisy!

Fru fru
July 13th, 2016, 11:43 AM
KittyBird, you look so pretty, I'm glad you are happy with your shorter hair and I bet it feels much lighter! I love your natural colour and I can't wait to see it when it's all grown out :)

PixieP
July 13th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Your hair looks so happy now! It looks really great!

lapis_lazuli
July 13th, 2016, 03:11 PM
It's most important to be happy in life. I'm glad you've fallen in love with your hair again! Those curls look great :thumbsup:

Wildcat Diva
July 13th, 2016, 08:55 PM
You're such a beauty!!

kelseyxface
July 13th, 2016, 09:04 PM
I feel like for some people here, the big chop is just part of enjoying the whole hair growing process all over again! I think it also makes for an exciting experience - from what I understand, and in my experience, when you make such a big chop, hair tends to like different things after so it's certainly a whole new adventure. :agree:
Your waves on short hair do look beautiful, I'm really enjoying the twisty curls myself! Good luck on your next long hair journey! :P

Samia ELShrkawy
July 13th, 2016, 09:11 PM
you look gorgeous!could you please tell me what you've told the hairdresser to give you that cut i want to get some definition in my hair too.

Crystawni
July 13th, 2016, 09:57 PM
:agape: Well, lookit you, K-Bird!! That really does look like fun! And I love, love, love how your natural colour plays with your eye colour (well, the one showing in your pic), while the ombre spins like fire whirlies in those coils. Wicked!

Oh, while I'm here, I wanted to tell you I'm almost living in the gorgeous slouchy beanie (https://www.etsy.com/listing/266807993/i-can-still-hear-the-ocean-crochet?ref=shop_home_active_1) and hand warmers I got from you since moving half the country, smack bang into the brrrrrr-zone of mid-winter, last week. So comfysnuggly! Soooooo needed! :D And it's not even as frigid-cold here as further south is copping it (Antarctic blast wreaking havoc)! I'm a wuss. A purdily-rugged-up wuss. :p

Darkhorse1
July 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM
This is GORGEOUS! And sooo important for people to say 'hey, I want a change'. Hair is great for fun--long hair , medium, short hair---it's our personal style. I love it and can't wait to see some of your new 'do's with the shorter style :D

Daydreamer.
July 14th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Your big chop turned out nice! The color looks cool and unique! It's a really pretty haircut and it suits you well!

KittyBird
July 14th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! :D :heartbeat
So happy you like it, Crystawni! I had no idea it could get cold in Australia, I thought it was warm and toasty all the time :o

lithostoic
July 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Omg it looks so nice! Your natural color is beautiful especially with your eyes, and the fiery ends create a cool contrast! Love your wurls, they look so fresh and bouncy. Congrats c:

I've been thinking (for a little over a month) about a chop too, my natural color is fast approaching my shoulders and I'm getting that awkward half-and-half demarcation. Plus my ends are like straw no matter what! If I'm gonna go cone free I need some fresh hair to work with.

DreamSheep
July 14th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Your hair is gorgeous KittyBird!! (long, short and everything in between) :)
I love the cut and the ombre - looks so great!

I've been increasingly having the urge to cut, I miss short, or shorter hair, and fringes (with the exception of the upkeep - I love the process of going to the hairdresser, I enjoy slightly less the price in the country I'm in + the chance it might not turn out as good + short hair is puffy on me...) so it's nice to see this in others! :)

meteor
July 14th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Wow, KittyBird, your new cut is so lovely and fresh! :crush: I love the ombre and the texture! You've got incredibly gorgeous curls there! :thud:

I'm such a huge fan of your your hair at full length, but I can definitely relate to all your comments about heaviness and tangles and comfort level of buns... :agree: And I'm super-happy that you love the new hair! That cut and curls are absolutely gorgeous! :applause

Zindell
July 14th, 2016, 11:23 PM
That looks absolutely awesome! :o

KittyBird
July 15th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Thank you! :D

I washed my hair today, and I'm amazed by how fast it dried. I left in a turbie twist for 40 minutes, then scrunched in some leave in and diffused on cool for about 10 minutes. I then let it airdry, and after 30 minutes it was almost completely dry, just a bit damp here and there. At hip/bcl it usually took an entire day before it dried, and even longer if I had to bun it to go to work.

My waves aren't as defined as when the hairdresser styled it, and I didn't twirl any parts of it. Still looks nice though. I guess it'll take some experimenting with products and amounts before I find my perfect routine. I ordered some new products online, even though I already have a nice stash :o

Neverremember
July 15th, 2016, 04:08 AM
It's lovely! It is so liberating to finally go for it and embrace a new look and routine.

althara
July 15th, 2016, 11:39 PM
You new curls are beautiful! I just chopped of 12" yesterday. Going from long to short can be so fun.

KittyBird
July 16th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Thank you, Neverremember and althara! Wow, 12" is a lot! I hope you enjoy your new cut too :D