PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Length?

Hairybutterfly
July 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Hi, I'm trying to grow my hair to knee length. However, i seem to be stuck at 46" (mid-thigh for me). While it is not getting any longer, my ends have always been thin and now the rest is catching up. Have I reached my terminal length? Anyone else have this problem?

nekosan
July 12th, 2016, 09:38 PM
How long have you been at this length? 3 months, 6 months, 2 years, 2 decades, ...?

Hairybutterfly
July 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
It has not been growing for 3 months now. I have had this happen to me before (stall). For example- For last 3 months, my hair ends (4 or 5 hairs) have been 46" inches long ( no change in the last 3 months)
This time, it is different - For example The 1st month, my hair ends ( 4 or 5 hairs) were at 46" inches and no gain from the previous month. After the 2nd month, my hair was like 10 or 12 hairs at 46" inches and no gain in length. After the 3rd month, my hair end is now getting thick like, 15 or 20 hairs at 46 inches and no gain in length. That s what I mean by my hair's end is getting thick but did not get any longer. That's why I wonder if it is a sign of terminal length. I know that you have to wait at least 7 or 10 years to decide it's a terminal length, but I am just curious about the early signs. Thanks!

Decoy24601
July 13th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Personally, I'd give it more than just a few months. Sometimes my hair will go months at a time with almost no grain in length and then it'll start growing again. I personally think you might not be at terminal just yet. I'd give it a solid year of no growth at least.

trolleypup
July 13th, 2016, 09:54 PM
That would be a marker for terminal...because each of those 46" hairs is different from month to month.

However...stalls can go on for years. I joined LHC at 52 inches...grew to about 53" in two months...and then stalled for years. Take care of your hair, ignore the length...maybe you'll get more length, maybe you won't. Enjoy it where it is, for what it is.

After years of 53", the GF asked if my hair was longer...I gained 16 months of growth...and now I'm stalled at 61"

Shepherdess
July 13th, 2016, 09:56 PM
I have been going through a lot of stalls in hair growth the past few years. I think partly due to some major sheds I had some years ago( might have been hormone related). I have stayed around 47" since last September (2015) almost I think (and I have also been in the "no trim" challenge), and I know that around 47" isn't my terminal length, since my hair has been longer at 49" with a decent hemline in the past (and I maintained shortly at that length too). I think that hair goes through stalls sometimes. I have heard that one cannot know for sure until about 10 years? :)

Do you trim your hair?

kuroi
July 13th, 2016, 11:40 PM
The fact that your ends are getting thicker suggests your not at terminal yet.

nekosan
July 13th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I give it time to regrow all hair plus a year; if no growth, that's a local maximum. For example, for 30 inch long hair which grows 6 inches per year, that's 5 years to grow it all out plus one more for good measure, so 6 years at the same 30 inches of length to call it a local maximum for the current hair care routine.

Silverbrumby
July 14th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Wait a year at least i think. I'm doing the no trim challenge for 2016 and I've finally gotten tp 30 inches after being stuck between 25 to 28 inches for years. It's only 20 to 40 hairs though.

lapushka
July 14th, 2016, 05:50 AM
I agree. I'd give it much more than just these 3 months to really decide. You'll just have to wait it out and see what it'll do. Great accomplishment already, though. :)

teal
July 14th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Agree with needing more time to properly assess the situation. Also, at that length there's bound to be some breakage due to natural wear and tear. The hairs reaching mid thigh would be old enough for primary school! ;)

Hairybutterfly
July 14th, 2016, 04:49 PM
No I didn’t trim my hair this year because I will reach knee length this year if I don’t stall. Thanks for the advice.

Hairybutterfly
July 14th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the input and advice! I am a short person ( 5 feet tall) so 46” inches is my finger-tip length. 48 ½ will be my knee length. I don’t worry about my length too much, I was just curious. I will just take trolleypup’s advice and enjoy what I have! :)