PDA

View Full Version : Boar bristle brushes

calmyogi
July 10th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Hey, how is everyone?!

Lately I have seen a couple of comments about Kent hairbrushes. I have already read loads about the mason Pearson brand. Which one is better? Or is there another brand or brush that anyone likes better or thinks is better?

Cg
July 10th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I use Kent brushes and can say only good things about them. Have used one for normal hair and one for thin/fine every day for a long time. After only two days of use I noticed immediate positive changes. Those brushes were worth every penny. Have not used Mason Pearson, but I love my Kents so much there's no impetus for me to try any other.

Some folks here may tell you not to brush since you are a 2b/2c, but so much depends on your hair and your preferences. I know plenty of wavies who brush regularly and love the results.

calmyogi
July 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I use Kent brushes and can say only good things about them. Have used one for normal hair and one for thin/fine every day for a long time. After only two days of use I noticed immediate positive changes. Those brushes were worth every penny. Have not used Mason Pearson, but I love my Kents so much there's no impetus for me to try any other.

Some folks here may tell you not to brush since you are a 2b/2c, but so much depends on your hair and your preferences. I know plenty of wavies who brush regularly and love the results.

When I posted a picture of my hair with no products and washed with just shampoo I was typed at 2b/2c. One person even siad I might have a 3a curl tucked in as well. But the problem I have is that my hair goes flat really easily. The second I put it up or comb it it literally just turns into a very slight wave. It's frustrating because if I want to keep any curl at all I would have to soak my head daily with water. So at that point I ask myself am I really wavy or wurly since I can't even keep a curl overnight? I have given up on trying to preserve my curls. My hair will be so straight by the next day that everyone pretty much thinks I have straight hair unless they see it un touched on my wash day.

calmyogi
July 10th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Thank you for the input though cg. I forgot to thank you in my response about my hair texture. lol.

ChloeDharma
July 11th, 2016, 04:18 AM
I have a Kent BBB somewhere and liked the bristles on it. My only issue with them is when I was looking for a new one the paddle brushes all had nylon bristles mixed in which I don't like. M&P ones have a great reputation though I have never used one so can't really comment from personal experience. The reason I don't use the Kent one that I do have is because it's not paddle shaped but other than that it seems like a good brush.

A note on hair texture. My hair used to be on the curly side of wavy though as I reached my 30's it changed and lost the curl it had in my younger years. Even then I got on fine with brushing but it did pull out the curl somewhat. I was fine with this as I was wearing my hair up constantly in a bun but I did make sure I put a little oil like jojoba on the length just to give that slip so the brush would go through it more easily and not break the hairs. Of course I also made sure to thoroughly detangle before I used the BBB.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 04:31 AM
My BBB is nameless. My mom got it for me at "Di" drugstore back when they were still in my town, or in BE even. It is a mixed BBB because it can't get through my hair otherwise. I have since ditched it for a wooden bristle brush (much better and less pull-y on the hair IMO) and a Tangle Teezer. I love those brushes more.

Gosh I haven't used my BBB in more than 10 years!

calmyogi
July 11th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I have a Kent BBB somewhere and liked the bristles on it. My only issue with them is when I was looking for a new one the paddle brushes all had nylon bristles mixed in which I don't like. M&P ones have a great reputation though I have never used one so can't really comment from personal experience. The reason I don't use the Kent one that I do have is because it's not paddle shaped but other than that it seems like a good brush.

A note on hair texture. My hair used to be on the curly side of wavy though as I reached my 30's it changed and lost the curl it had in my younger years. Even then I got on fine with brushing but it did pull out the curl somewhat. I was fine with this as I was wearing my hair up constantly in a bun but I did make sure I put a little oil like jojoba on the length just to give that slip so the brush would go through it more easily and not break the hairs. Of course I also made sure to thoroughly detangle before I used the BBB.

Can I ask you why you don't like the mixed bristles? Thank you! I'm glad it's promising that I won't necessarily ruin my hair.

calmyogi
July 11th, 2016, 08:08 PM
My BBB is nameless. My mom got it for me at "Di" drugstore back when they were still in my town, or in BE even. It is a mixed BBB because it can't get through my hair otherwise. I have since ditched it for a wooden bristle brush (much better and less pull-y on the hair IMO) and a Tangle Teezer. I love those brushes more.

Gosh I haven't used my BBB in more than 10 years!

I have both of those and love those brushes too. I haven't had any luck finding anything else that exfoliates my scalp and pulls the sebum down better than the boar bristles though. I really like what they do for my scalp since I get itchy and flaky.

ChloeDharma
July 12th, 2016, 01:54 AM
Can I ask you why you don't like the mixed bristles? Thank you! I'm glad it's promising that I won't necessarily ruin my hair.

Of course :) Really it's just a personal preferance. I like the BBB for brushing my scalp and stimulating circulation. The nylon bits would be too hard on my scalp and wouldn't let me brush as thoroughly. With the pure boar bristles they have flexability that allow me to be more thorough with the brushing without making it sore. I do have quite a sensitive scalp though so I'm not saying nobody else should try the boar and nylon mix brushes.

Searching for the right BBB felt a bit like goldilocks with her porridge. I brought brushes that were too soft and didn't touch my scalp, I brought ones that were far too stiff and hurt to use but then I found one quite by accident in TKMaxx that was just right. The name on the handle is a bit faded but I think it's by a company called "lafolia". The other brush I use is a wooden/bamboo paddle brush and I love that one too but in a different way. It does massage my scalp but doesn't give that tingly clean feeling a BBB gives. I usually use it to massage my scalp and thoroughly detangle (after detangling with a wooden wide tooth comb) then follow with the BBB.

I think if you are careful with detangling and use quite slow strokes then your hair should be fine with the brushing. I hope you find a brush you like :)

calmyogi
July 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Of course :) Really it's just a personal preferance. I like the BBB for brushing my scalp and stimulating circulation. The nylon bits would be too hard on my scalp and wouldn't let me brush as thoroughly. With the pure boar bristles they have flexability that allow me to be more thorough with the brushing without making it sore. I do have quite a sensitive scalp though so I'm not saying nobody else should try the boar and nylon mix brushes.

Searching for the right BBB felt a bit like goldilocks with her porridge. I brought brushes that were too soft and didn't touch my scalp, I brought ones that were far too stiff and hurt to use but then I found one quite by accident in TKMaxx that was just right. The name on the handle is a bit faded but I think it's by a company called "lafolia". The other brush I use is a wooden/bamboo paddle brush and I love that one too but in a different way. It does massage my scalp but doesn't give that tingly clean feeling a BBB gives. I usually use it to massage my scalp and thoroughly detangle (after detangling with a wooden wide tooth comb) then follow with the BBB.

I think if you are careful with detangling and use quite slow strokes then your hair should be fine with the brushing. I hope you find a brush you like :)

Thank you chloedharma!

Neverremember
July 12th, 2016, 11:24 AM
I have a Mason Pearson mixed bristle brush. I did not buy the pure boar bristle one as I have quite a bit of hair and the mixed one was recommended. If I could go back, I would probably pick the pure BBB though, the reason being that I have to section my hair and brush slowly from the ends up anyway... to avoid damage. I love brushing my hair on the third and fourth day after shampooing when my scalp is no longer dry. I do it no more than once a day, twice or three times a week overall. It feels amazing.