PDA

View Full Version : very, very damaged hair needs your help! -with photo

fancifull
July 10th, 2016, 03:27 PM
hello! i'm new here and i really need your help. firstly, sorry for my bad english.
i used to flat iron my hair everyday and dye my hair to extra blonde once a month. so my hair very damaged. last two months, i stopped heat and dye for my hair health. i have thick and wavy hair normally but all chemicals made my hair wavy-straight and thin. i use sulfate free shampoo twice a week and glycerine with rose water everyday. now i will start aloe vera treatment. my hair need moisturize. here's photo of my hair from yesterday, what are your tips to get my old beautiful hair back? :(:(

https://i.imgsafe.org/2bd3eb1ef4.jpg

Anje
July 10th, 2016, 03:49 PM
My first guess is that your hair needs both protein and moisture. Needing protein can be indicated by it feeling overly stretchy or mushy, especially when wet. Protein can be drying, but it also seems to help hair hold on to moisture, so hair needing it frequently feels dry but doesn't do well with moisture treatments.

So what you're going to want to do is find yourself a good reconstructing treatment with hydrolyzed protein. I've heard good things about the Joico reconstructor and the ApHogee 2-step protein treatment. A lot of people like this DIY using gelatin (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html), and I've seen milder protein treatments using low-sodium soy sauce or liquid amino acids.

Once you've rinsed out the protein treatment, you'll want to follow it up right away with a moisture treatment, because it will leave your hair feeling dry and hard. (Totally normal, next step fixes that.) The commercial products like the 2-step have this packaged with it. Failing that, soaking for 30-45 minutes in warmed-up conditioner or an SMT (link is in my signature for that recipe) will do wonders.

You'll probably find you want to repeat that set of two treatments periodically.

I would suggest you get yourself two conditioners, one with a lot of protein and one with none. Use the protein one if your hair feels stretchy, use the no-protein one if it feels like it's getting stiff. Otherwise, just switch off until you figure out a decent balance.

You may find an oil, such as coconut oil or avocado oil or sunflower oil (the edible stuff -- don't get things targeted for hair with other ingredients), makes things feel better. When you apply it depends on what you like best. I like a few drops on my hair once it's finished air-drying after a wash. Others like a tiny amount on damp hair (don't overdo it, because it's hard to gauge how much you're using when it's wet), and lots think it's great to apply more a few hours before washing. All have their benefits, and different things work best for different people.

Finally, consider wearing your hair up in gentle, protective style. Buns held with claw clips are a good start, if they're comfortable, though many of us decide we prefer hair sticks, hair forks, clamp-style clips like Ficcares, or stiff U-shaped hairpins after some experimentation. Braids are decent. Buns held with elastics frequently cause breakage and discomfort, as do ponytails, so I don't really recommend them. French twists are great and work well on hair your length, and look polished without requiring you to heat-style.

Good luck and welcome!

Edit: One more thing -- if you tell us what country you're in, it'll help people recommend products that are available where you are.

spidermom
July 10th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Above suggestions can't be improved upon, but I think the most important thing to bring back the beauty of your hair is to grow it out and cut off the damaged stuff. Patience!

dansyl
July 10th, 2016, 06:46 PM
I've been using the joico kpak reconstructor and it has made my hair soooooo much stronger and smoother.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Yes, the key is to baby it as much as possible, and grow it back out healthy, with a healthy routine (no straightening, curling).

Greenfire
July 22nd, 2016, 12:33 AM
I can't see the pic, but I can say that when I joined the board, it was because my hair had been totally fried in a hairdressing horror story, and it does get better! I tried a few things on the forum, and I think Anje above recommended a mayonnaise treatment, and I can't tell you how amazing it was. Wish I could find the post where I raved about it, but I'm guessing that by looking at her advice now, it's basically a protein and oil together treatment that helped me. I also learned how to do crown braids, and wore my hair up in them for around a year or so, just to keep it protected!

But yes, baby that hair! It will get better!