PDA

View Full Version : New Here, help my hair is falling out!

dawnsy
October 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have awful hair. I used hair dye and was having sensitivity to it for a while now. I have noticed that some of my hair in the front is missing. I am so depressed about it. I didn't know that hair dye could cause my hair to fall out.
It is only in the front. I don't have any bangs to work with. They just lay flat on my forehead. Now I'm afraid to even touch my hair.
There are so many post on here for different conditioners. I don't know which one to use. Now I find out that even shampoo is bad for my hair. Help! I need help for my hair fast before it all falls out. :(
Sorry for freaking out on everyone I just want to hold on to my hair if I can. :confused:

plainjanegirl
October 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Well welcome to the LHC!!
First off everything you eat etc can affect your hair. So if you have a bad diet and don't get enough proteins, vitamins, etc. that can affect the health of your hair. I would recommend to be more watchful of that. In addition you may want to add a good multivitamin to start with.
Shampoo is not necesarily bad. Everybody's hair personality is different. Some use shampoo full strength , others dilute it, others don't use it. What is your normal wash routine like how often and what products?
Since it sounds like you lost some hair from the dye mainly in the front maybe you could read the monistat thread and try that...it's supposed to help hair growth. Was the dye possibly left on too long??
Hope some of this helps you!! And take a look at the article section you will find a lot of good info there.

Fillette
October 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I second everything plainjanegirl said. Also, while you are trying to figure what works for your hair and what doesn't, make sure you treat your hair with caution. Pamper it, avoid all types of mechanical damage, avoid pulling on it, don't use heat styling tools, put it up as much as you can. Since your hair feels fragile now, be very mindful of how you treat it.
The next step is to familiarize yourself with this community. There are tons of threads and the articles are very useful. You'll learn a lot and soon you will see the improvements in your hair.
Hang in there and please don't be depressed. Remember that stress affects the condition of your hair.
Welcome to this community and happy hair growing!

dawnsy
October 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM
plainjanegirl: thank you very much for the info, I will take a look at that thread. I feel much better about it today...first reaction to hair loss...never been there before. : )

Fillette: thanx for your advice, I am being very very good to my hair today...I am not depressed about it today. I am gonna hang in there and see this hair pretty again. Just needs to grow in the front again. : )

redheadedgrammy
October 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hello, Dawnsy, like you, I'm new here. What I did was go into the articles and read them. I grant you, that takes some time.

One I found particularly helpful was the article on hair http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71 oiling. In fact, I tried it last night for the first time, and although I didn't use what was suggested, I used something I had on hand here, Phyto oil treatment, then washed it with emu oil shampoo and emu oil conditioner.

I'm turning 60 shortly and have colored my hair since I was 14. I've gone through the over processing and everything you could imagine. I have been blessed with finding a wonderful hairdresser who not only understands hair chemistry, but recently saved my hair after undergoing 3 major surgeries in 12 days. Let me tell you, anesthesia really does a number on your hair.

My hair is happy, healthy and growing again. Additionally, it's almost back to one length. I'm keeping it trimmed until it does reach that length (hopefully only another few months) then seeing if I have the patience to deal with waist long hair ... if it grows that long.

I found the emu oil shampoo in the Lehman's catalogue. It's a catalogue primarily for non-electric households, and it's very ecology friendly.

Hang in there ... read everything you can here, and whatever you do, don't cut your hair!

redheadedgrammy

dawnsy
October 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hey,
Thank you for the reply. You really look good for your age.
Anesthesia???? Never knew anesthesia could mess up your hair. I am reading as much as my eyes and brain can handle in hopes of doing something to fix my hair. I just leave this site open and do something around the house a little, then come back and read a little....etc. I'll read the thread you mentioned. Welcome to you, Dawn

redheadedgrammy
October 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
dawnsy, a number of years back I owned a beauty salon, even though I am not a cosmetologist. However I've been into homeopathics and aromatherapy for well over 30 years.

I did a lot or research and came up with a hair growth formula which has been published numerous times. Please note, the "we" was used simply because it was written from the "salon".

Hair Growth Vitamin Formula

First of all, let me get this legal disclaimer out of the way … we do not sell any of the vitamins or supplements listed below. Secondly, we do not guarantee taking these vitamins will definitely help your hair grow back. Third, do not take these or any vitamins, minerals or supplements without checking with your doctor or pharmacist to insure there is no interaction between them and any medications you may be on.

Now, let me tell you what I know from first hand experience. My daughter was losing her hair … on the top of her head, her hair was so thin you could easily see her scalp … and the thinning area was growing rapidly. One of my friends also had a hair loss problem … hers was much more extreme though … you could see her entire skull through the wisps of hair she had left. She looked very, very old … like some wizened old lady and she is only in her 50’s! Both of these ladies, one mid 30’s and the other mid 50’s started taking these vitamins on a daily basis and within a couple of weeks, they noticed a marked improvement … not only in the texture of their hair but also in their thinning or bald spots. New hair was forming and growing in rapidly.

Again, I am not saying this is a normal reaction. I am not a scientist, nutritionist or doctor, but to me, as the average layperson the vitamins can’t hurt and may actually help. If they do, please let me know so I can let other ladies know about this.

Buried Treasure “B” complete vitamins, High Potency – the one with the apple on the front – you add two measuring tablespoons of this to a glass of juice and drink it in the morning along with your breakfast.

Twin Labs Super Twin High Potency Multi Vitamins & Minerals bi-layer tablets 1 a day.

Good ‘n Natural Easy Iron – 28 mg – 1 tablet

Now Folic Acid with Vitamin B-12 – 800 mcg – 1 tablet

Omega-Life Fortified Flax – 2 measuring tablespoons every day – in your cereal or yogurt … this adds a nutty taste to things … This, my daughter also informed me helped with some of her joint aches.

Lecithin Granules – 1 measuring tablespoon in your cereal or yogurt (with the flax).

I’m sure you are also going to want to know where you can get these things. I'm sure they are available on line if you don't have a good health food store available to you.

Good luck. If you go this route, it will take a little while. Hope this helps.

PS - my daughter has MS ... that was the reason for the "helped with some of her joint aches" comment.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I react badly to dye! My scalp, ears, anywhere the color touches breaks out in sores! I have to shampoo aggressively many times a day for the first week. In fact, about 7 years ago now I had a reaction so bad I lost ALL my hair!! (I think I've got it through my head now, NO MORE COLOURING!!!) :p

dawnsy
October 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I bet that was awful to lose all of your hair. Did it break out all over? How long did it take to grow your hair back? Yeah, no more coloring for me either. I don't know the first thing about natural hair color....henna or whatever that is . I am trying to look into goldwells elumen, it is PPD free. It's the PPD that is bad. I have heard really good things about goldwells elumen, but I don't know.

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Dawnsy.

First question: Is your hair actually falling out (root bulb and all), or is it breaking off at the scalp?

Second question: What did you use? In particular, was it a permanent/level 3 dye? Is it a fairly light color? (The reason I ask is that a lot of these contain peroxide, which could cause a lot of breakage with repeated use.)

Third question: Is your scalp irritated, or is the reaction really limited to hair loss?

dawnsy
October 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hi Anje,
It's hard to tell if it is breaking out or falling out. How do you tell the difference? I know I notice a lot of thinning in the front. There are a few broken hairs in the front but I am missing more hair than what is showing as broken. I'm thinking it is because I always start in the front when I am coloring my hair. I use miss clairol from sally beauty supply and add 10 volume peroxide to deposit color. It is a light color, but then my hair is a medium-dark blonde with highlights. I haven't noticed that much thinning in the back of my hair. But then it could be because the dye isn't left on the back as long, I don't know, this is just a guess...so much for home hair care :o
My scalp feels fine now. I never had any type of break out on my scalp...sores or anything like that. My scalp felt really itchy and burned really bad. It felt like ants crawling on my scalp. This lasted for about a week.
I am taking very good care of my hair now in hopes it will grow back. Thanks for any help you could give me, Dawn

plainjanegirl
October 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
dawnsy, a number of years back I owned a beauty salon, even though I am not a cosmetologist. However I've been into homeopathics and aromatherapy for well over 30 years.

I did a lot or research and came up with a hair growth formula which has been published numerous times. Please note, the "we" was used simply because it was written from the "salon".

Hair Growth Vitamin Formula

First of all, let me get this legal disclaimer out of the way … we do not sell any of the vitamins or supplements listed below. Secondly, we do not guarantee taking these vitamins will definitely help your hair grow back. Third, do not take these or any vitamins, minerals or supplements without checking with your doctor or pharmacist to insure there is no interaction between them and any medications you may be on.

Now, let me tell you what I know from first hand experience. My daughter was losing her hair … on the top of her head, her hair was so thin you could easily see her scalp … and the thinning area was growing rapidly. One of my friends also had a hair loss problem … hers was much more extreme though … you could see her entire skull through the wisps of hair she had left. She looked very, very old … like some wizened old lady and she is only in her 50’s! Both of these ladies, one mid 30’s and the other mid 50’s started taking these vitamins on a daily basis and within a couple of weeks, they noticed a marked improvement … not only in the texture of their hair but also in their thinning or bald spots. New hair was forming and growing in rapidly.

Again, I am not saying this is a normal reaction. I am not a scientist, nutritionist or doctor, but to me, as the average layperson the vitamins can’t hurt and may actually help. If they do, please let me know so I can let other ladies know about this.

Buried Treasure “B” complete vitamins, High Potency – the one with the apple on the front – you add two measuring tablespoons of this to a glass of juice and drink it in the morning along with your breakfast.

Twin Labs Super Twin High Potency Multi Vitamins & Minerals bi-layer tablets 1 a day.

Good ‘n Natural Easy Iron – 28 mg – 1 tablet

Now Folic Acid with Vitamin B-12 – 800 mcg – 1 tablet

Omega-Life Fortified Flax – 2 measuring tablespoons every day – in your cereal or yogurt … this adds a nutty taste to things … This, my daughter also informed me helped with some of her joint aches.

Lecithin Granules – 1 measuring tablespoon in your cereal or yogurt (with the flax).

I’m sure you are also going to want to know where you can get these things. I'm sure they are available on line if you don't have a good health food store available to you.

Good luck. If you go this route, it will take a little while. Hope this helps.

PS - my daughter has MS ... that was the reason for the "helped with some of her joint aches" comment.

There is no health food store nearby so normally I buy all my vitamins from walmart or dollar general. Are there vitamins that are equal to or similar to these that I could get at these types of stores?? How long were they taking the vitamins before they noticed hair growth?? Sorry for all the questions but I am having a problem with my hair.

Also has anyone ever heard of horse tail vitamin for hair?? Someone recommended that to me.