PDA

View Full Version : Fixing cut hair – Please help! (urgent)

adelle90
July 10th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but I need your immediate help. I'm sorry for potential mistakes but I'm not a native English speaker. This post is not a provocation or a joke.

Let me explain the situation first: A person who is very close to me recently fell victim to a terrible "joke". Somebody cut her long braid while she wasn't watching. I'll not get into details here because it doesn't matter that much now. What matters is that this person has become severely depressed and developed PTSD-like syndrome. She wants her hair back (it was a very long braid reaching her knees and 3/4 of it was cut).

I know this may sound silly but we're really desperate right now: Is there any method which would allow us to fix the cut braid? We still have the part that was cut in one piece. I'm not asking about standard hair-lengthening method, which is only temporary and looks unnatural. I'm looking for a way to somehow reattach the hair 'one by one' at its ends. If somebody knows something or can help us, please respond to this post! We're ready to fly to another country to get this done!

PS. We've already sought psychological and medical help but it doesn't get any better and it's been over a month now! She was taking care of this braid for over 10 years and now it's destroyed.

Please, anyone, help!

vega
July 10th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Sorry no method I'm
aware of to reattach maybe try extensions

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 07:45 AM
You cannot reattach cut hair. You could look into extensions if it's bad. Has she been to the hairdresser; having it cut into a nice shape might make things better.

HairPlease
July 10th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Sorry but reattaching the hair is impossible no matter who you go to or how much you pay. You can have the braid made into extensions, perhaps, so even though the hair isn't attached, it's still that person's hair, which may feel better than buying someone else's hair as extensions. That's your only option besides doing as lapushka suggests and taking this person in for a nice haircut.

kuroi
July 10th, 2016, 07:59 AM
A small trim to even the hem can make it look better for now. Sadly there is no way to re attach the braid so she will have to grow her hair again. What a terrible person that did that to her, I would also be very upset.
Maybe she can still use the braid in her bun, like tie the top of the braid with a hairfriendly elastic to a ponytail and then make a bun. I'm not sure how well that would work but it's worth a try.

truepeacenik
July 10th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I have to be careful, because the event you describe is not an allowed topic here.
If this "joke" was done in the United States, an assault case (criminal, and likely followed by a civil case) could be filed. This might be true in other countries.

That thought aside, making the existing braid into extensions is possible. Where I live, few people would work with the person's own hair, but that could be texture and durability concerns.

I'm guessing her hair is now waist or so.
I'm also guessing long hair is prized in your culture, unlike the USA.
A trim to make the ends look better, and wearing fancy updos for a couple years might help.

But like other personal, violent acts, this might need to be lived through.

adelle90
July 10th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Thank you for answering,

We're in Europe, not in the States though.

We still hope there is a way to fix it somehow. If someone knows anything more, please let us now!

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Thank you for answering,

We're in Europe, not in the States though.

We still hope there is a way to fix it somehow. If someone knows anything more, please let us now!

You can't fuse individual hairs back together. It can not be done. :) I'm sorry. :(

She could have permanent extensions put in, but that brings with it more harm than is good for you (bald spots etc.).

vampyyri
July 10th, 2016, 09:38 AM
You can't fuse individual hairs back together. It can not be done. :) I'm sorry. :(

She could have permanent extensions put in, but that brings with it more harm than is good for you (bald spots etc.).

I think it depends with extensions, clip ins vs glue ons... I'm not experienced enough to chime in further, but perhaps glue on ones would be a good solution in this case?

cathair
July 10th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Have a look at the paranda thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

You could make a paranda from the part of the braid that has been cut, then plait it back in. It wouldn't be quite as long, but it would look similar. I have a paranda made of synthetic hair for this purpose. You could do that quite easily for her, though she wouldn't be able to wear her hair down.

The only other things that could be done is having extensions made from the hair or a wig. Neither would be as long as it was before and extensions have a pretty limited life span.

Even if you could fuse hair (which you can't), there would be a bump in the join. It wouldn't be very comb-able and would probably tangle and cause more damage.

Did your friend report this to the police? She should. It sounds like she should talk to someone if she is experiencing PTSD. I don't think you can truly fix this, all you can do is help her do it move forward.

cathair
July 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM

There isn't really such thing as permanent extensions. They all grow out. It only takes 4 - 6 weeks for them to start looking ridiculous. They can be tightened, but only a few times before the hair wears out.