PDA

View Full Version : can i leave a dye prodigy for 1 hour?

Samia ELShrkawy
July 10th, 2016, 02:31 AM
hello, i was thinking that maybe i wrap it with plastic bag and use hair dryer to heat it up so it won't dry quickly.

and can i add few drops of coconut oil in it to make it condition more and moisture or that will effect the color result in bad way.

it's shade 7 almond blond i've tried it on one strand on my medium dark brown hair it didn't lightened it well.

also i heard about soaking hair in coconut oil night before bleach it will give better result does that work with regular dye too?

one more thing .. i want to reach light blond hair can i keep dying it with lighter shade every time from prodigy till i get to blond, that will work ? without bleach.

and thank you

diddiedaisy
July 10th, 2016, 02:43 AM
I personally wouldn't advise leaving it on for that long, I would be scared of extensive damage. I bleach from dark blonde so I'm not an expert in going from darker hair, but I do know it's generally done in stages. I would highly recommend using olaplex to try and reduce damage though. I would expect someone else who has gone blonde from dark will jump in and give you more precise advise.

i also drench my hair in coconut oil the night before I dye and dye over the top of it without rinsing it out. :)

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Box dye can only take your hair a shade or two (depends on the brand) lighter. Not more. You can't keep lightening by picking a lighter shade box dye and redyeing the previously dyed/lightened hair. That doesn't work because you're trying to dye dye that's already in your hair - you just can't do that - it's complicated.

If you want to go from a darker shade to a light shade, you'll have to use bleach, then dye/tone it to the desired color.

tigress86
July 10th, 2016, 03:38 AM
It will not lighten more if you leave it on longer, the developer will stop working after a certain time, even if you won't let it dry. With medium to dark brown hair, bleach is the only way to reach light blonde. There are high-lift blonde dyes but they are not recommended for anything darker than level 6, I believe. Definitely use coconut oil or Olaplex, either with bleach or regular dye.

Mademoiselle
July 10th, 2016, 04:07 AM
when the hair has been dyed, you can not clarify more whit dye, dye for dye does not clarify, you have to use bleaches until your hair is sufficiently clear to put the dye you want. For example if you want height 8 on the scale of tones, you must discolor until this at that point, and then put the dye on top. If you're going to do it at home I recommend you use a discoloration quality and go watching your hair every 5 min (color, damage), once this sufficiently clear, put up the dye you want, but always ashes, as the discoloration let your orange hair, for example if you want a 8, put a 8.11 to make sure you take away the orange and get a more natural blonde.

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 04:08 AM
With the risk of so much getting lost in translation (as the OP's mother tongue is not English)... I would go to a professional and have it done.

And definitely always do what the box says, and *do not* leave things on for longer, not with chemical dyes!

littlestarface
July 10th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I would not advise using a box dye to make your hair lighter, 1 it won't work so good and get as light as you want and 2 it'll damage your hair. Best to go to a saloon and have them do it for you. Box dyes only work for making your natural color abit lighter like medium to light brown.

Samia ELShrkawy
July 11th, 2016, 06:47 AM
okay thank you all. i will try leaving it only for 45 and use coconut oil before.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 07:06 AM
okay thank you all. i will try leaving it only for 45 and use coconut oil before.

Is that what it says on the box? The 45 min.? If it says less than that, then stick to what's on the box.

diddiedaisy
July 11th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Ive used prodigy before but it doesn't need 45 minutes. I think after the allotted time stated no more colour will be deposited. So it's a waste of time leaving it longer, unless of course you want your hair to snap off, eek!!!! Please be careful :)

Mademoiselle
July 11th, 2016, 07:50 AM
It will not clarify more, or to leave a more beautiful color, no more softness, for leaving him more time ... the only thing you can get is more damaging your hair or your scalp. You ask for advice and do just the opposite to what we say to you? when you do and see that your hair is the same color, and above this drier for leaving him more time, I'll tell you: We told you.
But it's your hair, you do what you want. :rolleyes: