PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil kinds?

Samia ELShrkawy
July 9th, 2016, 01:00 PM
i see one for cooking in a jar but people use it for hair too

and another for skin and hair in a bottle

what's different and what's best as a leave in for frizzy wavy hair ?

and thank you,

Hairkay
July 9th, 2016, 01:09 PM
You can use coconut oil found in cooking section for skin and hair as well as cooking. Oil is graded into cooking oil first then the second grade is used for cosmetics. The best quality is the cooking oil and it ends up being cheaper than the ones sold for cosmetics. Of course then you can choose between cold pressed or not. Cold pressed organic coconut oil has a strong coconut smell. Others processed differently may had a milder or even neutral smell. I just go for the cooking kind, it's best and pure, no added fragrances to mask poor quality.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 01:10 PM
You can use the one for cooking no problem. The one for hair should also be solid. It is always solid at room temperature, but will become liquid when heated up.

The only different coconut oil is "fractionated" coconut oil, which only comes as a liquid (it is liquid all the time).

Both are great. I've had both, and I like the one that stayed liquid all the time a bit better.

Hairkay
July 9th, 2016, 03:30 PM
You can use the one for cooking no problem. The one for hair should also be solid. It is always solid at room temperature, but will become liquid when heated up.

The only different coconut oil is "fractionated" coconut oil, which only comes as a liquid (it is liquid all the time).

Both are great. I've had both, and I like the one that stayed liquid all the time a bit better.

It is not correct to say that coconut oil should always be solid. Whether it is solid or liquid is determined by the local climate it is in. In the tropics and places near the equator coconut oil is always liquid. The first time I saw coconut oil as a solid was when I was 18 and I thought it was because it was not pure coconut oil or that something was wrong with it. I hadn't thought about the differences in climates as yet. The only way it becomes solid in the tropics is if you store it in the fridge. Oh and I know we have a good hot summer's day in the UK when I look at my coconut oil and see that it's turn completely liquid. It'll go back to solid on cooler days.

littlestarface
July 9th, 2016, 03:35 PM
The best oils for hair will say pure, first cold pressed, unrefined, virgin, organic. If I were you i'd look in the cooking section for oils and not the beauty sections.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 03:59 PM
It is not correct to say that coconut oil should always be solid. Whether it is solid or liquid is determined by the local climate it is in. In the tropics and places near the equator coconut oil is always liquid. The first time I saw coconut oil as a solid was when I was 18 and I thought it was because it was not pure coconut oil or that something was wrong with it. I hadn't thought about the differences in climates as yet. The only way it becomes solid in the tropics is if you store it in the fridge. Oh and I know we have a good hot summer's day in the UK when I look at my coconut oil and see that it's turn completely liquid. It'll go back to solid on cooler days.

Yes, but it can go to solid when colder. What I mean by always liquid is coconut oil that absolutely can not go solid because it is fractionated. :)

Llama
July 9th, 2016, 04:17 PM

She said it is always solid at room temperature, which actually is correct. Room temperature is usually around 70 degrees and coconut oil solidifies at 76 degrees and below.

reilly0167
July 9th, 2016, 05:32 PM
The best oils for hair will say pure, first cold pressed, unrefined, virgin, organic. If I were you i'd look in the cooking section for oils and not the beauty sections.
I always get coconut oil in the grocery section and its cheaper than going to the beauty and pharmacy section. Works great like coconut oil should.

Decoy24601
July 9th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I just grab coconut oil from the grocery section as well. What I'm using right now is organic unprocessed coconut oil (it was actually on sale for cheaper than the non-organic kind). My apartment is warm enough during the summer at times that some days it's a solid, some days it's a liquid, lol.

Samia ELShrkawy
July 10th, 2016, 02:20 AM
thank you all, that really helped, i've already ordered the beauty one but i'll definitely try the one for cooking, but i've heard that it has strong smell is it very noticeable if i used it as a leave in? and few drops on it before going out will make it looks greasy? is it heavier than the beauty one ? and thank you.

Decoy24601
July 10th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Mine is very light on my hair. A few drops shouldn't make your hair look greasy.

Have you checked the ingredients on the one you bought? I know argan oil blends marketed towards hair care are only a small amount argan oil and they usually have silicones and other stuff too.

littlestarface
July 10th, 2016, 04:25 AM
thank you all, that really helped, i've already ordered the beauty one but i'll definitely try the one for cooking, but i've heard that it has strong smell is it very noticeable if i used it as a leave in? and few drops on it before going out will make it looks greasy? is it heavier than the beauty one ? and thank you.

It will only smell like coconuts, argan will smell like seeds and olive oil will smell like olives so whatever you get wont have a strong bad smell only it's natural smell but one can't notice it unless you do a heavy treatment and leave it for days lol like I do. It won't be heavy or greasy if you only use a couple of drops on wet/amp hair.

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 04:52 AM

If you're using oils on your hair as a leave-in, and this goes for *any* oil. Just use a few drops! Spread it through your palms, then apply that to your hair (the ends/lengths). Not more!

Hairkay
July 10th, 2016, 05:19 AM
She said it is always solid at room temperature, which actually is correct. Room temperature is usually around 70 degrees and coconut oil solidifies at 76 degrees and below.

Oh but room temperature translates to different temperatures depending on where in the world you are.

calmyogi
July 10th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but make sure it's unprocessed or unrefined oil though. Wal mart carries a coconut oil that is refined and it's not blatant on the packaging.

BroomHilda
July 10th, 2016, 07:24 AM
You can use cooking oil for hair no problem. I prefer refined over virgin if I use it as a leave in, because it's odorless. As a pre-poo both are great.

However if you plan to use it on skin, fractionated CO would be the safest one as its much less comedogenic since lauric acid is removed.
Fractionated is good for winter as well because it doesn't solidify, thus won't result in the crunchy effect some people complain.

truepeacenik
July 10th, 2016, 09:00 AM
You can use cooking oil for hair no problem. I prefer refined over virgin if I use it as a leave in, because it's odorless. As a pre-poo both are great.

However if you plan to use it on skin, fractionated CO would be the safest one as its much less comedogenic since lauric acid is removed.
Fractionated is good for winter as well because it doesn't solidify, thus won't result in the crunchy effect some people complain.
Crunchy can be a protein build up, too. So two reasons for crunchy.

I have started using fractionated coconut oil as a massage oil. My pervious one had grape seed, sesame, and dimethicone for slip. Yuck. I didn't get to choose what oil I used.
Since I have half a gallon of fractionated oil, I decided to test it.
I do feet it's lighter. This might be psychological based on it having to warm the oil in my hands to finish the melting. Or not having to use a spoon. ;)

BroomHilda
July 10th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Some people complain about crunchy hair when using CO.
Protein build up is something else. Crunchy hair can be a result of too much hair gel, as well.
I m talking about crunchy hair as a result of CO use

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Some people complain about crunchy hair when using CO.
Protein build up is something else. Crunchy hair can be a result of too much hair gel, as well.
I m talking about crunchy hair as a result of CO use

I get crunchy hair from CO as well. And even from the fractionated oil, so that should tell you something!

calmyogi
July 10th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I just know I used it refined and it was a mess. Didn't spread well at all.

BroomHilda
July 10th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I get crunchy hair from CO as well. And even from the fractionated oil, so that should tell you something!

Not really. You maybe used refined, which is different from fractionated oil.
What (could) result in crunchy hair is the long chain fatty acids and lauric acid in CO which are removed, plus the fact that below 24 degrees it solidifies and it hardens on the hair. I get crunchy hair in winter as well due to CO.
Maybe it was something else. Too much perhaps(?)

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Not really. You maybe used refined, which is different from fractionated oil.
What (could) result in crunchy hair is the long chain fatty acids and lauric acid in CO which are removed, plus the fact that below 24 degrees it solidifies and it hardens on the hair. I get crunchy hair in winter as well due to CO.
Maybe it was something else. Too much perhaps(?)

No it was especially bought fractionated oil. I'm pretty sure I know what I used. ;)

Samia ELShrkawy
July 11th, 2016, 06:50 AM
i didn't recieved it yet to try, but mine isn't written if refuined or fractionated but people say in reviews it's good and original.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 07:07 AM
i didn't recieved it yet to try, but mine isn't written if refuined or fractionated but people say in reviews it's good and original.

Fractionated usually is a speciality and few brands do that, so it is probably normal CO!

genlilliana
July 11th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I use the cooking oil one...my hair loves it!

Temme
July 11th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I suspect that most coconut oil made specifically for hair is diluted with various things because their target market doesn't know how to use pure oil (just a few drops rubbed on the palms, like we do) :)

meteor
July 11th, 2016, 10:15 AM
My favorite coconut oil is virgin coconut oil (they can be found in huge jars in cooking sections) infused with some beneficial herbs, in case oil touches my scalp. I love infusing CO with neem, rosemary, etc...
Vatika enriched coconut oil is really good and affordable, it's just coconut oil infused with amla, neem, brahmi, henna, lemon, rosemary, etc... Ramtirth brahmi oil is a great infused coconut oil, but it can be a bit harder to find, at least in this part of the world. There are many great infused coconut oils out there.

As for fractionated vs. virgin, I'm not sure, since I haven't seen studies comparing performance of the two on hair. However, from the stuff I've read (Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf), Brazilian oils and butters: the effect of different fatty acid chain composition on human hair physiochemical properties (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2009/cc060n02/p00273-p00280.pdf), etc...), my understanding is that it's specifically triglycerides composed of short and straight linear fatty acid chains (more specifically in lauric acid) that penetrate the hair shaft.
Since in fractionated coconut oil, lauric acid is often removed to some degree (depends on the specific oil, of course), it means fractionated coconut oil might theoretically be less beneficial from that point of view? :hmm:
Fractionated coconut oil can sometimes even be referred to as caprylic/capric triglyceride oil or medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, because caprylic and capric acids make up most of the oil, and I don't know details about performance of these fatty acids on hair. (If somebody has any information on this, any links, please do share. :flower:)

Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094;) ; http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf)

This butter [which showed increase in hair's tensile strength in the study] has a high amount of low molecular mass triglycerides composed of short and straight linear fatty acid chains (75% miristic acid). This may point to the conclusion that low molecules from vegetal origin are able to diffuse into hair fiber. It is observed with coconut oil, which has lauric acid in its major composition.
(http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2009/cc060n02/p00273-p00280.pdf)

turtlelover
July 11th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I have some cheap refined coconut oil for cooking that I bought at Wal-Mart, and it works just as well as the unrefined stuff from the health food store on hair. Sadly, I miss the fragrance of the unrefined stuff, though its effects on my hair are identical. My hair loves coconut oil, though it can leave it pretty greasy if I overdue it as a pre-shampoo treatment.

Anje
July 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I grab the food stuff, and often not the really trendy virgin coconut oil either. The refined Luann coconut oil that I find for maybe $7 for 30 oz works great and it doesn't smell like coconuts (which is good if you don't like the smell). (It's nice for making soap, too.)

I tend to steer people away from the coconut oil marketed for hair. Often times, it's little more that coconut-scented vaseline.