PDA

View Full Version : Scary picture...advice please?

copperlites
July 9th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I thought my super fine hair was too fine to get splits. It seems not.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mandy_hall1/IMG_4412_zpspashvl1f.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mandy_hall1/media/IMG_4412_zpspashvl1f.jpg.html)

I came across this whilst examining my ends. I have been getting my husband to micro trim using a Creaclip every month or so for the past 17 months, with a few larger trims, slowly eliminating damage and razor layered sides. This split is form one of those almost grown in layers, which seems t\o have avoided Hubby;s area trip levelling trim.

My hair is damaged at the ends from a botched up (double dose) of "Behave" keratin straightening in December 2015. I am trying to embrace my natural texture but it is not easy for a number of reasons.
1. no amount of curly girl method, curl enhancing product, or baby treatment has revived the natural texture to the last 6 inches or so, despite the Keratinn treatment supposedly washing out over time.
2. Even when my hair was in its natural texture, the canopy's natural texture is a rather unattractive frizz, whereas the under layers have a reasonable looking wave pattern.
3. If I leave it natural it gets very tangled after the first day or two usually leading to more mechanical damage when detangling and also making it look untidy, even in undos.
4. it looks much thicker, shinier and healthier if I blow dry it. Also I can stretch washes longer if I blow dry, though I am not sure that stretching washes is the best thing for my scalp.

I feel like if I am going to embrace the curl I need to get rid of at least 2 inches in the hope of getting rid of the damage more quickly and giving it a bit of bounce. Hubby trimmed an inch last month and it made a bit of difference but not enough. I am reluctant to lose the length, with waist seeming so close, but i don't see the point in having length if it is damaged.
This picture shows the difference between blow dried and natural texture and sunlight versus Indoor light.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mandy_hall1/IMG_4003_zpstqmizeah.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mandy_hall1/media/IMG_4003_zpstqmizeah.jpg.html)

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 06:49 AM
I think your hair looks pretty bomb in the second picture!

Also try getting this product, the Curl Enhancing Smoothy by Shea Moisture. I use the LOC method after washing, for styling, and use the CES + gel + serum and it's amazing. All I have is 2b/c and I swear I was 2c/3a at the bottom of my hair. I use a coinsize amount of each (CES / gel) and a tiny puddle of serum. For classic length. It is *amazing*!

Don't use too too much of the CES, though, because it will turn sticky and leave a residue. So if your hair is shorter, use less, about half of what I use.

pailin
July 9th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Your waves look great.
One thing I'm finding with my hair is that if it's really getting enough moisture, it is much easier to detangle.

copperlites
July 9th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Aww, thanks Lapushka and Pailin. I have definitely been wanting to check out the shea moisture products if I can find them here in Oz. I have heard a lot about them and I know my hair needs moisture. I have been trying your WCC and LOC routine. I even have the hello hydration conditioner on your recommendation. i think the wave pattern is coming back, except for the scraggly ends drive me mad.

Adorkable One
July 9th, 2016, 07:19 AM
LOL, splits happen I guess. Here's my worst. It shocked me when I found it while casually looking at my ends. https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/332775_2816729410116_1463314855_o.jpg

It's from about 4 years ago, and that was before I went crazy with bleach. Scary! I suppose, statistically, it's bound to happen. All the hairs on the human head, there has to be at least one wonky one. I agree with the feedback you've received so far, that your curls/waves actually look pretty good. I think it looks healthier there, with it's natural texture, than it does on the left blown out. If your issues are with fizziness, and tangling, there's a plethora of options to combat those issues. It's all a matter of patience and experimentation. :D

I'd try a frizz serum, if you haven't already. It's great for frizz, and helps reduce tangles. That's just what I like, as a conventional hair product. Oils are nice too, but, they don't detangle as well. Of course, they have a ton of other benefits to compensate, but I use them more like a treatment than a styling option. My hair is pretty thin though, and thus can get weighed down pretty easily. I also use a hair salve from etsy as a replacement for hairspray, since hairspray is drying. Not it's advertised use, but, I like it. It's great for taming my frizz when I brush my hair back.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Aww, thanks Lapushka and Pailin. I have definitely been wanting to check out the shea moisture products if I can find them here in Oz. I have heard a lot about them and I know my hair needs moisture. I have been trying your WCC and LOC routine. I even have the hello hydration conditioner on your recommendation. i think the wave pattern is coming back, except for the scraggly ends drive me mad.

I don't see scraggly ends, no I don't (honest). I just see ends that are a little straighter, but it doesn't mess with the overall picture or texture, IMO! No, it doesn't. If they bother you, however, and it's a chore, then by all means, microtrim or cut them in one go. I sometimes have had to sacrifice length as well (hip to BSL when my hair was white-dot damaged). It's tough, but an inch or two isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, and that's all you might need, I think.

turtlelover
July 9th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I actually love your natural texture, but agree w/ Lapushka that you might be happier if those last couple of inches were gone. Sometimes losing damaged ends actually gives a visual illusion of hair being longer. That happened with a friend of mine recently. She had tailbone length hair that was looking kind of scraggly right at the ends, and she took a few inches off back to hip, and her hair looks longer even though obviously it isn't. You might not miss those ends as much as you fear that you will, but if you are worried about it, just trim like a half an inch a month instead of doing it in one go.