PDA

View Full Version : At my wand's end with my Hagrid hair

Mufasa
July 8th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Hello witches and wizards of the LHC school of haircraft and misery
I am a mere muggle that has been and still is struggling with thick, frizzy, curly, dry (SO DRY) hair. My hair used to be silky and straight but I must have unknowingly consumed a rather strong brew of Polyjuice potion 8 years ago because it transformed in texture into somewhat of a beast. I would insert pictures of the beast but a simple google images search of "Hagrid hair" will appease anyone's curiosity as to the current state of affairs atop my head. I feel as though I have tried absolutely everything under the sun so I'm not really sure if there is more that I can do. I have spent boatloads of cash trying out different concoctions and dedicated months to different routines after researching on the forums and online to no avail.

Try co-washing? Huge increase in hair shedding.
What about silicone free products? Floofy, uncontained hair.
Are you using brushes or combs? Nada.
SLS free shampoo? Greasy scalp.
Oilings? Not much difference in moisture levels.
SMT? No difference.
I've tried stretching washes yeahhh I knowwww
Ok, I haven't used heat in years. My hair is healthy and has no splits.
Henna? Tried it, made my hair drier. But a teeeeeny bit shinier.
Clarify and then deep moisture treatments? I'm telling you, nothin' works.

Trust me. Name it, and I've probably tried it all. Even if I manage to get my curls to be defined after a shower, the steps required are often tedious and inconsistent. Good curl days require a sacrifice of 15 lambs to the hair gods, and most days I ain't got time for that. Let's say that I miraculously am able to get my hair to look good after my nightly shower. When I wake up in the morning, the are all disrupted and floofy. Yes! Even with a satin pillow case!

You all will probably say, "OK, Mufasa, just shower in the morning you are ranting way too much here." But I have to wake up at 5:45am for my morning commute. Again, I ain't got time for that. Even if I did manage to do that, my hair would still expand and lose it's definition in the afternoon humidity. My hair is like a box of chocolates and I never know what I am going to get.

I'm tired of my hair looking frizzy and I'm not a fan of the texture. I feel that it makes me look frumpy at work (and in life, in general) and I wish that I just had the silky hair of my youth. I know that I look better with straight hair, so why force myself to be natural when it's not making me happy? I'm certainly not doing myself a favor by enforcing this hair misery on myself. So this rant brings me to the prospect of a possible thermal straightening or keratin treatment. I know from my year-long of lurking that most of you will strictly condone these as acts of severe violence against hairkind (lapushka, please be nice, I'm a good person, I swear) but I know that others (*cough* *cough* Minako, help a sista out) have experience with these that may save me from a life of hair dissatisfaction. Before coughing up more cash for someone to put strong chemicals on my hair, I just want to offer the burden of my problems to the highly skilled witches and wizards of LHC. Like Atlas, I have finally relieved myself of the burden of my hair (it really is quite heavy, actually).

As cliche as it sounds: HELP I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY HAIR

chantecler
July 8th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I'd try going on either the curly thread, or if you're on reddit, go on the /r/curlyhair subreddit, I am certain you'll find people that can give you more suggestions! It's a great community, and they are a bit more specialized than here.

Good luck!

Decoy24601
July 8th, 2016, 10:22 PM
As far as I know, both thermal straightening and brazilian keratin treatments can end up damaging your hair, which would only make your problem worse long-term.

Anya15
July 8th, 2016, 11:47 PM
I am a 2b/2c too, and struggle with humidity. Only difference is that my strands are M and yours are C, which might be the reason you are having so much trouble. What length are you at? I often don't have the time to do curl-defining steps after a shower/i have to cut products out if the humidity is very high, so I generally braid/bun my hair. It helps keep it contained. That's the only way I deal with humidity. Wash days are disasters because my hair just frizzes as it is air drying.

Sunshine&Opals
July 9th, 2016, 01:43 AM
From one muggle to another, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your hair quandary, but your post was brilliant! :D. And your avatar! Hehe. What about water? I've seen it mentioned here before that different tap water for rinsing may make a difference? I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 03:49 AM
What about the WCC or CWC methods on here? I have 2b/c hair and I can get my hair pretty much defined with the WCC method. As long as I "shove" plenty of moisture down its throat, it's fine. :lol:

Anya15
July 9th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Lapushka is the air dry where you live?

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Lapushka is the air dry where you live?

I have no clue. It's a 4-season climate. I don't think it's particularly humid or dry, in the middle IMO.

turtlelover
July 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM
How long is your hair? Layers or not layers? There are just too many variables here to give advice without photos. You might just have an entirely wrong cut for your hair type.

Nique1202
July 9th, 2016, 06:36 AM
My first suggestion is that if you need to wash with full SLS shampoo (since co-wash and sulfate-free don't work for you) just wash as close to the roots as possible. Let the suds take care of any grease or dirt in the length, just focus on washing your scalp. This way the length gets as little exposure to it as possible and it won't get quite so dry.

My second suggestion is to find the two thickest, most moisturizing conditioners you can, and follow Lapushka's suggestion of CWC or WCC, maybe try rinse-out oil, and as much of the LOC as you can without your hair feeling coated. You may have a little more experimenting to do (and only change or add one thing at a time or you won't know what worked or what combination might be best!) but the main thing is to layer your products to seal in the moisture since your hair isn't keeping it on its own. Once you find the right moisture balance it should be much better behaved all all around. Also, maybe try something with a little protein in it? Or if what you're using now has a lot of protein, cut back on that. Protein's weird that way.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 06:44 AM
My first suggestion is that if you need to wash with full SLS shampoo (since co-wash and sulfate-free don't work for you) just wash as close to the roots as possible. Let the suds take care of any grease or dirt in the length, just focus on washing your scalp. This way the length gets as little exposure to it as possible and it won't get quite so dry.

My second suggestion is to find the two thickest, most moisturizing conditioners you can, and follow Lapushka's suggestion of CWC or WCC, maybe try rinse-out oil, and as much of the LOC as you can without your hair feeling coated. You may have a little more experimenting to do (and only change or add one thing at a time or you won't know what worked or what combination might be best!) but the main thing is to layer your products to seal in the moisture since your hair isn't keeping it on its own. Once you find the right moisture balance it should be much better behaved all all around. Also, maybe try something with a little protein in it? Or if what you're using now has a lot of protein, cut back on that. Protein's weird that way.

And keep your progress written down somewhere, like here in the blogs. I do it weekly, just stating what products I used, the routine is pretty much the same (but I repeat it in case it's someone new reading it for the first time). Might be a little annoying, IDK :lol: but in any case it's a very handy tool, the blogging!

I do think you should try a few more "methods" on here, to really tell. WCC is to me a "modified" CG, with quite a stretch of the imagination, but still, the rest that I do is CG, like rinse-out oil, and LOC. Pretty much great methods to use. And I am not knocking the CWC method, because that one is great too!

Straightening treatments aren't for everyone, and you might or might not have luck with them. I'd try what I could first, if I were you, to try and control your hair in a more natural way.

ephemeri
July 9th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I know you said you've tried it all, but I feel like the things that made the most difference when I was learning to tame the beast were the "squish to condish" method followed by scrunching in gel. The "S2C" makes your hair clump into contained curls, and the gel holds them there. Once it's fully dry, you gently scrunch again to break the gel cast so that the hair isn't crunchy, but the gel will continue to hold the curl. Have you tried this? It truly was a life saver for me.

The other thing is that some of us just aren't able to retain those curls once we've slept on them. I am one of those people. I really can't get my curls to keep over night and I also use a satin pillowcase. So, if you're able to get decent hair after showering or wetting it, you may consider doing your routine in the morning instead of at night. Or see if you can figure out a way to refresh them the next day. A lot of curlies/wavies will use water or water+conditioner or water+gel mixtures to refresh their hair in the morning after they've slept on it. (Personally it doesn't work for me and I end up wearing my hair up the second or third days but it does work for many others.)

I feel your frustration...:headache: I hope that this helps. I can link you some videos if you're interested in learning more about S2C and gel application for curl retention.

ETA: If you're really at the point where you just want to straighten, then by all means, you gotta do that you gotta do to be happy with your hair! :D :blossom:

Anje
July 9th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Gel? Have you tried plain old hair gel? That and some leave in conditioner should go a long way for you.

You might get some mileage out of just spritzing your hair with water before you run out the door, to reset your curls.

ETA: If moisture treatments aren't doing it and your hair still feels dry, try a protein treatment and then a moisture treatment, back-to-back. Hair that's lacking in protein can also feel dry, and it just doesn't want to hold onto deep treatments.

littlestarface
July 9th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I can't do straight CO either, I have to do a modified version of CWC for it to work for me. Honestly it takes a bit trial and error to find the perfect thing for your hair.

Also do you know if your hair is porous or non-porous? That should help to know that way you know how to handle your hair and how to correctly do treatments.

reilly0167
July 9th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Heres what i do and perhaps give it a try. After you wash your hair, apply conditioner, with a wide tooth comb gently detangle, leave on for a few minutes then rinse, I usually don't rinse all of it off , I leave just a bit ( sort of turning it into a leave-in) and thats the only time my hair see a comb. When done squeeze excess water out. When towel drying do not ruffle it dry, wrap the length in the towel and blot water out, otherwise you be dripping all over. I use serum when I style, never like gel because I do not like crunchy curls, that's just me. But use whatever your hair likes and works for you. Then let it air dry, flip my head over and scrunch. Or use a diffuser if you are press for time, its great to use for us curlies because it does not blow your hair all over the place and end up with? You guessed it Hagrids hair. The lovely people here at the forum are the best with suggestions, they helped me greatly, and I hope what I post makes sense to you. I understand what its like. May I also suggest that you go on you tube and look up sunkissedalba, she has great tutorials on curly haircare and it doesn't break the bank :D don't try too many things at once, that way you will know what works and what doesn't, everyone hair is different and unique, you will find your way, I know you will:D
ETA: To freshen curls, a misting bottle of water and conditioner, a light tea such as chamomile with a bit of oil( shake to mix up then spray) most just enough to clump your hair and scrunch.
Bed time: some braid their hair so it won't tangle and maintain the waves, I do a loose knot way up on top of my head. Whatever method that works as long it keeps it contained til morning.

Mufasa
July 9th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I am a 2b/2c too, and struggle with humidity. Only difference is that my strands are M and yours are C, which might be the reason you are having so much trouble. What length are you at? I often don't have the time to do curl-defining steps after a shower/i have to cut products out if the humidity is very high, so I generally braid/bun my hair. It helps keep it contained. That's the only way I deal with humidity. Wash days are disasters because my hair just frizzes as it is air drying.

Hagrid is about 1.5 inches from bra-strap length when pulled straight! I'm glad you understand the struggle anou! Sometimes I just am too tired after a long day at work to do all the steps required to get my hair to *maybe* look decent (and it ceratinly won't last until the morning.
I find that braids/buns cause my curls to unravel and expand horizontally.

From one muggle to another, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your hair quandary, but your post was brilliant! :D. And your avatar! Hehe. What about water? I've seen it mentioned here before that different tap water for rinsing may make a difference? I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Glad to make you smile ;) Sometimes I get into silly moods (ok always haha). I'm pretty sure my water isn't hard but if I was knowledgeable about these things, I would be a highly skilled LHC witch with a beautiful, envy-inducing mane. Alas, Sunchine&Opals, I am a mere muggle with no magical skills or abilities.

What about the WCC or CWC methods on here? I have 2b/c hair and I can get my hair pretty much defined with the WCC method. As long as I "shove" plenty of moisture down its throat, it's fine. :lol:

Force-feeding moisture ... hmm I LIKE IT. I have tried WCC but my hair got quite gunky. My hair is weird in the fact that it is dry but easily gets buildup...

LillithTheFirst
July 9th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Maybe it's more of a low porosity issue? Are you saying you used to have straight hair and now you hair has completely changed texture??? That may indicate something going on with your hormones, in which case maybe you need to see a doctor to her your bloods checked.
However test your hair for porosity. If it is low then you'll have a good idea what you may need to do. Cherry lola treatments worked well on my hair while my hair was going nuts with dryness and tangling.

Mufasa
July 9th, 2016, 05:50 PM
How long is your hair? Layers or not layers? There are just too many variables here to give advice without photos. You might just have an entirely wrong cut for your hair type.

My hair is one length, 1.5 in from brastrap. I learned two years from a particularly unfortunate haircut that layers enhance the triangle effect (apparently the hairdresser thought that "The Rachel" was what I had asked for .... I just wanted some FACE FRAMING LAYERS THAT IS ALL, HOW HARD IS IT TO DO THAT?!? Hrmph.)

Do you have any suggestions for thick and very moisturizing affordable conditioners? Most thick conditioners I have tried include protein, and my hair goes into a hissy fit if it is exposed to trace amounts. Hagrid just does not like protein shakes, I guess. Such a drama queen!

Mufasa
July 9th, 2016, 05:58 PM
And keep your progress written down somewhere, like here in the blogs. I do it weekly, just stating what products I used, the routine is pretty much the same (but I repeat it in case it's someone new reading it for the first time). Might be a little annoying, IDK :lol: but in any case it's a very handy tool, the blogging!

I do think you should try a few more "methods" on here, to really tell. WCC is to me a "modified" CG, with quite a stretch of the imagination, but still, the rest that I do is CG, like rinse-out oil, and LOC. Pretty much great methods to use. And I am not knocking the CWC method, because that one is great too!

Straightening treatments aren't for everyone, and you might or might not have luck with them. I'd try what I could first, if I were you, to try and control your hair in a more natural way.

Ok, you all have convinced me that I probably haven't ACTUALLY tried everything. The overall message is to SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! Ok, message received! My hair is my white whale and I need to dedicate more effort into it. I love the idea of blogging to record what I do, I will take a looksie at yours and try to model it after that!. I'm pretty lazy though, so I need get to just do it!!!

I know you said you've tried it all, but I feel like the things that made the most difference when I was learning to tame the beast were the "squish to condish" method followed by scrunching in gel. The "S2C" makes your hair clump into contained curls, and the gel holds them there. Once it's fully dry, you gently scrunch again to break the gel cast so that the hair isn't crunchy, but the gel will continue to hold the curl. Have you tried this? It truly was a life saver for me.

The other thing is that some of us just aren't able to retain those curls once we've slept on them. I am one of those people. I really can't get my curls to keep over night and I also use a satin pillowcase. So, if you're able to get decent hair after showering or wetting it, you may consider doing your routine in the morning instead of at night. Or see if you can figure out a way to refresh them the next day. A lot of curlies/wavies will use water or water+conditioner or water+gel mixtures to refresh their hair in the morning after they've slept on it. (Personally it doesn't work for me and I end up wearing my hair up the second or third days but it does work for many others.)

I feel your frustration...:headache: I hope that this helps. I can link you some videos if you're interested in learning more about S2C and gel application for curl retention.

ETA: If you're really at the point where you just want to straighten, then by all means, you gotta do that you gotta do to be happy with your hair! :D :blossom:

I would love to have links to some videos, if I recall, is S2C just putting in your products with soaking wet hair? I think that maybe I could wash my hair at night then wet it really well and apply my products in the morning? I wake up so early that I don't think I could do the entire washing process when the rooster cockadoodlesdoo in the am. My curls are like yours - they just don't last after all that tossing and turning!

Gel? Have you tried plain old hair gel? That and some leave in conditioner should go a long way for you.

You might get some mileage out of just spritzing your hair with water before you run out the door, to reset your curls.

ETA: If moisture treatments aren't doing it and your hair still feels dry, try a protein treatment and then a moisture treatment, back-to-back. Hair that's lacking in protein can also feel dry, and it just doesn't want to hold onto deep treatments.

My hair just despises protein, and I'm not sure why. I have tried gel and most make my hair gross and sticky -eek-

reilly0167
July 9th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Products from Shea moisture are great and carols daughters is becoming popular, which I'm dieing to try but its a bit pricey for me right now.

Mufasa
July 9th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I can't do straight CO either, I have to do a modified version of CWC for it to work for me. Honestly it takes a bit trial and error to find the perfect thing for your hair.

Also do you know if your hair is porous or non-porous? That should help to know that way you know how to handle your hair and how to correctly do treatments.

How does one go about finding out the porosity of their hair? I have no clue. I tried the "float your strand in a bowl of water" test and it stayed afloat. I read on the forums that it is an unreliable test though...

How does one go about finding out the porosity of their hair? I have no clue. I tried the "float your strand in a bowl of water" test and it stayed afloat. I read on the forums that it is an unreliable test though...

Heres what i do and perhaps give it a try. After you wash your hair, apply conditioner, with a wide tooth comb gently detangle, leave on for a few minutes then rinse, I usually don't rinse all of it off , I leave just a bit ( sort of turning it into a leave-in) and thats the only time my hair see a comb. When done squeeze excess water out. When towel drying do not ruffle it dry, wrap the length in the towel and blot water out, otherwise you be dripping all over. I use serum when I style, never like gel because I do not like crunchy curls, that's just me. But use whatever your hair likes and works for you. Then let it air dry, flip my head over and scrunch. Or use a diffuser if you are press for time, its great to use for us curlies because it does not blow your hair all over the place and end up with? You guessed it Hagrids hair. The lovely people here at the forum are the best with suggestions, they helped me greatly, and I hope what I post makes sense to you. I understand what its like. May I also suggest that you go on you tube and look up sunkissedalba, she has great tutorials on curly haircare and it doesn't break the bank :D don't try too many things at once, that way you will know what works and what doesn't, everyone hair is different and unique, you will find your way, I know you will:D
ETA: To freshen curls, a misting bottle of water and conditioner, a light tea such as chamomile with a bit of oil( shake to mix up then spray) most just enough to clump your hair and scrunch.
Bed time: some braid their hair so it won't tangle and maintain the waves, I do a loose knot way up on top of my head. Whatever method that works as long it keeps it contained til morning.

I like the refreshing spray bottle recipe idearrr! And thank you for writing your whole entire routine out, that is very sweet of you. I will have to try it out. Y'all have great suggestions for me. Hagrid is humbled!

Maybe it's more of a low porosity issue? Are you saying you used to have straight hair and now you hair has completely changed texture??? That may indicate something going on with your hormones, in which case maybe you need to see a doctor to her your bloods checked.
However test your hair for porosity. If it is low then you'll have a good idea what you may need to do. Cherry lola treatments worked well on my hair while my hair was going nuts with dryness and tangling.

My hair strand floated in a bowl of water, but as I said above, I think that is an unreliable test? I'm not sure how to check for sure, and what could I do if I DO have low porosity? What is this cherry lola treatment? Sounds yummy. It completely changed texture with puberty, so I think that I am normal. my hair changes texture roughly every 7-8 years, and I believe that is common for females

I forgot to mention that you all inspired me to embrace my curly hair enough to get my butt to my nearest Barnes and Nobles. I purchased the Curly Girl Handbook. Even though I doubt that I will go full CG, I think that it will help me understand more about my texture :) Hopefully my hair will evolve from a curse to a blessing.

LillithTheFirst
July 9th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Well the idea with low porosity hair is that the shaft doesn't open easily to allow moisture to actually penetrate the shaft when we wash and condition our hair. To open the hair shaft we need to use something more alkaline to "forcefully" open the hair soft so the hair can become moisturised and soft, then to close the hair shaft to use something acidic.
There are different versions of Cherry Lola. I use equal parts Bi-Carb and your choice of non-silicone conditioner/hair masque. I mix it together so its an even mixture and apply it to the hair. Then I leave it on (under a swimming cap) for 30 minutes then wash it out (hair becomes really soft). I think may do a citric acid rinse, sometimes I don't. I do this every couple of months now since I sorted the issue out.

ephemeri
July 9th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I would love to have links to some videos, if I recall, is S2C just putting in your products with soaking wet hair? I think that maybe I could wash my hair at night then wet it really well and apply my products in the morning? I wake up so early that I don't think I could do the entire washing process when the rooster cockadoodlesdoo in the am. My curls are like yours - they just don't last after all that tossing and turning!

Squish to Condish: https://youtu.be/tMW0ZsYXAjE
LCEG/LEG Styling for type 2 hair: https://youtu.be/EwYsto4Iv-U (https://youtu.be/EwYsto4Iv-U) (I like this video because she reviews products she likes, she shows you how to layer them and how to apply, she also has a lot of other great videos too!)

I do a modified squish to condish (S2C) where I flip my head under the water and let the water run over it. I'll scrunch it up a few times but I'll basically just leave it soaking wet. I actually keep my hair so wet that when I am scrunching in my styling products, my hair is still dripping because that way the curls are fully moisturized and don't even have a chance to frizz up or separate before the stylers go in. After the stylers are scrunched in, I use an old tshirt to gently squeeze excess water out and then I'll plop for about 10 minutes. But, you'll have to play with it to see what works for you. Most people seem to do squish to condish until 'the hair feels like seaweed.'

I really am glad you got the Curly Girl Handbook!

Curly/wavy hair (well, you already know this!) is a LOT of trial and error. And I mean a lot because even when you get a good routine down, it can change when the weather changes and it can change as you hair gets longer or shorter. So be patient with it. And pick and choose methods and techniques that work for you -- you don't have to follow the handbook to a T. Try one new thing at a time, master it, and decide if it's a keeper or not. If you start too many new things at once, you'll get overwhelmed and you'll never be able to figure out if anything is working and you'll want to quit CG all together!

Like I said before, I have found with my hair that the things that make the most difference are doing squish to condish and using gel. Everything else is just extra. If you can identify just a couple of things that work for you, you can use those as a cornerstone for your routine and build (or not) on top of that. :D Good luck!!

Oh also, I see that you're asking about a good protein free conditioner? If you're in the US or Canada, Sally's has a great conditioner called GVP Conditioning Balm. It's silicone free and also protein free. It's pretty cheap too.

spidermom
July 9th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I didn't see it mentioned before, so I want to contribute aloe vera gel - not the green kind for sunburns but the clear kind for skin care. My hair loves the stuff. I was having a huge problem with the ends drying out and splitting/breaking off, but they don't feel dry at all since I've acquired some of this magical gel (made by Lily of the Desert or something like that).

reilly0167
July 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM
https://youtu.be/qBmF9C9MHAU
Here's a link for you :)

littlestarface
July 9th, 2016, 07:47 PM
If your hair floated it means low porosity like mine, with us we have to treat our hair different. You see product literally just sits on our hair unless we actually open up the hair to absorb it. I have to use a heat cap for moisture and protein treatments to see any effect.

You can try every technique under the sun but unless you familiarize with your own hair and know what it needs and such it's not going to help at all. I don't follow much people here and I had to make my own techniques to get the full benefits of my hair, since not alot of people have non porous hair like I do.

Anya15
July 9th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah I forgot spray bottles. I keep one with a mix of water+cone free condish+AV gel and it is brilliant for refreshing second day/third day curls.
My curls don't last too long either. Honestly I don't mind, because I wear my hair up/braided a lot, it's the humidity I struggle with because I have way too much frizz/poofiness.
Using anything other than the spritz bottle stuff is overloading my hair so I have cut out all products until the rainy season is over. Then the humidity will drop to a decent 70%.

My current solution for my own hair is just to wear it up. It's a lot easier to manage that way (still frizzes, but anyway)

mira-chan
July 9th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Dear Hagrid, I understand. I have a really big case of witch hair. What helps me is to put a conditioner in, a regular conditioner, as a leave in on soaking wet hair. Shea moisture masks work well for this, but V05 has worked as well. Also a periodic 20- 40 minute marination in your regular conditioner does wonders. That plus the regular conditioner left in on dripping wet hair, works just like a sleekeasy potion. :)

This has reduced a lot of frizzies and improved definition a bit. A light hand with shea moisture gel gives a light hold if needed. My hair is too long to wear down regularly with waves intact but it's kept my face framing fringe nicely wavy and not triangles of fluff.

I have low porosity hair. Water test didn't help me much there. It's just most conditioners don't work for me unless left in or held on for a loooong time. The deep conditioning marination effect lasts about two weeks to a month depending on time of the year. It needs to be repeated more often in the winter when it's really dry here, lest I look like a flew through a thunderstom on a broom.

ETA: I also was hair in the evening only.

Mufasa
July 10th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Well the idea with low porosity hair is that the shaft doesn't open easily to allow moisture to actually penetrate the shaft when we wash and condition our hair. To open the hair shaft we need to use something more alkaline to "forcefully" open the hair soft so the hair can become moisturised and soft, then to close the hair shaft to use something acidic.
There are different versions of Cherry Lola. I use equal parts Bi-Carb and your choice of non-silicone conditioner/hair masque. I mix it together so its an even mixture and apply it to the hair. Then I leave it on (under a swimming cap) for 30 minutes then wash it out (hair becomes really soft). I think may do a citric acid rinse, sometimes I don't. I do this every couple of months now since I sorted the issue out.

I think that low porosity is definitely part of the reason why conditioners basically do nothing in terms of moisturizing my hair. Last month, I even did an experiment where I just used shampoo for a week and my hair looked practically the same! Thanks for this info/recipe. I made a list of things to try and I'm going to add things in slowly so I can figure this strange hair of mine out! So basically, the baking soda opens up the cuticle enough for the conditioner to penetrate, but does it have to be silicone free? Won't the oils in any conditioner be able to penetrate if the cuticle is opened? I've never heard of citric rinses, but I have to look it up. It makes sense that the acid would re-close the cuticle again!
Y'all are so clever.

Squish to Condish: https://youtu.be/tMW0ZsYXAjE
LCEG/LEG Styling for type 2 hair: https://youtu.be/EwYsto4Iv-U (https://youtu.be/EwYsto4Iv-U) (I like this video because she reviews products she likes, she shows you how to layer them and how to apply, she also has a lot of other great videos too!)

I do a modified squish to condish (S2C) where I flip my head under the water and let the water run over it. I'll scrunch it up a few times but I'll basically just leave it soaking wet. I actually keep my hair so wet that when I am scrunching in my styling products, my hair is still dripping because that way the curls are fully moisturized and don't even have a chance to frizz up or separate before the stylers go in. After the stylers are scrunched in, I use an old tshirt to gently squeeze excess water out and then I'll plop for about 10 minutes. But, you'll have to play with it to see what works for you. Most people seem to do squish to condish until 'the hair feels like seaweed.'

I really am glad you got the Curly Girl Handbook!

Curly/wavy hair (well, you already know this!) is a LOT of trial and error. And I mean a lot because even when you get a good routine down, it can change when the weather changes and it can change as you hair gets longer or shorter. So be patient with it. And pick and choose methods and techniques that work for you -- you don't have to follow the handbook to a T. Try one new thing at a time, master it, and decide if it's a keeper or not. If you start too many new things at once, you'll get overwhelmed and you'll never be able to figure out if anything is working and you'll want to quit CG all together!

Like I said before, I have found with my hair that the things that make the most difference are doing squish to condish and using gel. Everything else is just extra. If you can identify just a couple of things that work for you, you can use those as a cornerstone for your routine and build (or not) on top of that. :D Good luck!!

Oh also, I see that you're asking about a good protein free conditioner? If you're in the US or Canada, Sally's has a great conditioner called GVP Conditioning Balm. It's silicone free and also protein free. It's pretty cheap too.

OK guyz. I'm so happy. Last night after my shower, I didn't do anything than I normally do EXCEPT for putting in my leave-in with the squish to condish method and then dried it by scrunching with an old and ugly T-shirt. My curls look soooooo much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have mostly survived the night except for a bit of general fuzziness! My leave-in always felt too thick or gooey but squishing it in makes my hair so soft! I think that I'm just going to keep my leave-in in the shower from now on to make it easier.

And the book is pretty cheesy and the way that the tone is written honestly makes me feel like a preteen girl ... but I can't complain it's pretty good other than that haha

Thank you for the conditioner recommendation! I was actually at Sally's the day before I started this thread. I found myself in the straightening/perm aisle and was very close to buying a keratin smoothing treatment. I was scared when it said to "flat iron thin sections of hair 5-7 times per section at 450°F." Dang, Thanksgiving turkeys are cooked between 325-425°F! Do they want me to baste my hair too?!?
That and the fact that the employee was ignoring me from the minute I walked in (while saying hi do you have any questions? to everyone else that walked in) made me hightail it out of the there faster than a cow out of a slaughterhouse.
To tie this all together in a cohesive and sensible thought: thank you for the recommendation and I will definitely go back to purchase that conditioner! ;)

Mufasa
July 10th, 2016, 07:23 AM
I didn't see it mentioned before, so I want to contribute aloe vera gel - not the green kind for sunburns but the clear kind for skin care. My hair loves the stuff. I was having a huge problem with the ends drying out and splitting/breaking off, but they don't feel dry at all since I've acquired some of this magical gel (made by Lily of the Desert or something like that).

Unfortunately, I've tried AVG and I have found that my hair doesn't like it at all :( I wish it did because my skin likes it!

https://youtu.be/qBmF9C9MHAU
Here's a link for you :)

Oooooh she is beautifulll! I bookmarked y'all's links I really appreciate it internet family!

If your hair floated it means low porosity like mine, with us we have to treat our hair different. You see product literally just sits on our hair unless we actually open up the hair to absorb it. I have to use a heat cap for moisture and protein treatments to see any effect.

You can try every technique under the sun but unless you familiarize with your own hair and know what it needs and such it's not going to help at all. I don't follow much people here and I had to make my own techniques to get the full benefits of my hair, since not alot of people have non porous hair like I do.

What techniques other than a heat cap do you use? Do you also do the Cherry Lola treatment? And would a hot towel (from the dryer or something) have the same effect as a heat cap?

Oh yeah I forgot spray bottles. I keep one with a mix of water+cone free condish+AV gel and it is brilliant for refreshing second day/third day curls.
My curls don't last too long either. Honestly I don't mind, because I wear my hair up/braided a lot, it's the humidity I struggle with because I have way too much frizz/poofiness.
Using anything other than the spritz bottle stuff is overloading my hair so I have cut out all products until the rainy season is over. Then the humidity will drop to a decent 70%.

My current solution for my own hair is just to wear it up. It's a lot easier to manage that way (still frizzes, but anyway)

My hair gets overloaded very easily too! Could we possibly be hair twins?! Or hair cousins?! sisters?
I should buy a spray bottle. There is a curl refresher recipe in the cg handbook, but it's just 2 quarts of boiled water with 5 drops lavender essential oil and then cooled and put in a spray bottle... to "cleanse and revive your curls" The other recipes look more involved and perhaps more valuable though!

I thought about getting a ficcare maximas for "wear it up" days because I think that they look elegant but I'd need a Large and it would be $58 so I'm just kinda "meh" about it. Although they do make buns un-frumpy if that makes sense.

Dear Hagrid, I understand. I have a really big case of witch hair. What helps me is to put a conditioner in, a regular conditioner, as a leave in on soaking wet hair. Shea moisture masks work well for this, but V05 has worked as well. Also a periodic 20- 40 minute marination in your regular conditioner does wonders. That plus the regular conditioner left in on dripping wet hair, works just like a sleekeasy potion. :)

This has reduced a lot of frizzies and improved definition a bit. A light hand with shea moisture gel gives a light hold if needed. My hair is too long to wear down regularly with waves intact but it's kept my face framing fringe nicely wavy and not triangles of fluff.

I have low porosity hair. Water test didn't help me much there. It's just most conditioners don't work for me unless left in or held on for a loooong time. The deep conditioning marination effect lasts about two weeks to a month depending on time of the year. It needs to be repeated more often in the winter when it's really dry here, lest I look like a flew through a thunderstom on a broom.

ETA: I also was hair in the evening only.

Alas, mira-chen we can ride our brooms into the sunset together!
Yes, I do believe that I actually have low porosity hair. The conditioners are just like "little pig, little pig, let me come in!" but Hagrid is all like "not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" Can I tell you a secret? I'm just too lazy to keep my conditioner in for that long! Gah you mean I have to get back in the shower after 40 minutes? Gah. Curly hair feels like a lot of work. But ya know, I will force myself to try it just for you, mira-chen
Is the gel that you use called the "Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus bla bla really long name souffle?"

reilly0167
July 10th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I am very happy the squish to condish is working for you:cheer: with the curly girl method To use as a guide and us happy bunch here, you be rocking that mane:rockerdud:henny:

ephemeri
July 10th, 2016, 10:24 AM
OK guyz. I'm so happy. Last night after my shower, I didn't do anything than I normally do EXCEPT for putting in my leave-in with the squish to condish method and then dried it by scrunching with an old and ugly T-shirt. My curls look soooooo much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have mostly survived the night except for a bit of general fuzziness! My leave-in always felt too thick or gooey but squishing it in makes my hair so soft! I think that I'm just going to keep my leave-in in the shower from now on to make it easier.

Woo hoo! So happy for you!! Sounds like you're on the right track. :happydance: :disco:

Inga-Marjukka
July 10th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I've been checking this thread regularly, eager to hear how these tips work out for you! I'm glad you're progressing and you're on the road to being happy with your hair :cheer:

reilly0167
July 10th, 2016, 01:55 PM
LHC'ers to the rescue:grouphug:

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Also, try the Curl Enhancing Smoothie by Shea Moisture (as a leave-in). I use a coinsize for my classic length hair and it is enough. More and it will turn sticky and leave a residue on your hair (curlier hair types will be able to get away with much more). So if you have less hair, use less. I swear I get 2c/3a and I'm "only" 2b/c! I use it underneath gel (also coinsize, though heaping) and a small puddle of serum. It works so well! It is the best wave enhancer out there that I've found.

Mufasa
July 10th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your support!!! I plan on blogging or at the very least writing down notes to track my progress. Perhaps I'll even update this thread with pics if I am able to get to a point where my curls become lhc worthy :) I haven't had more time to closely read the handbook, but hopefully next week I'll be able to have some down time. This week is gonna be a doozy

Lapushka, i've heard a lot about that product but have never tried it because I believe that it has coconut oil or proteins in it (both of which my hair despise)... I could be wrong though I'm not exactly sure!

In the meantime does anyone have any other recommendations for protein and silicone free, low sulfate or even sulfate free shampoos? Or a super thick protein/silicone free conditioner other than the GVP Conditioning Balm (which I plan on purchasing sometime soon)? I want to avoid cones since I am so prone to buildup and I would need a second conditioner if I plan on trying the WCC method. Don't worry folks, I'm taking it slow but I just thought that I'd ask before the momentum of this thread burns out! ;) Thank you!!!

ETA: To answer my own question, coconut oil is the third ingredient and it does have silk protein :P
Zut zut!

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil*, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Magnifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Melia Azadiratcha (Neem) Seed Oil,Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed oil, Sorbitol Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Caprylyl Glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract

Anya15
July 10th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Ooh I've been wanting to buy this shea moisture stuff but it's too expensive in my country and if it has silk protein...:(

mira-chan
July 11th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Alas, mira-chen we can ride our brooms into the sunset together!
Yes, I do believe that I actually have low porosity hair. The conditioners are just like "little pig, little pig, let me come in!" but Hagrid is all like "not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" Can I tell you a secret? I'm just too lazy to keep my conditioner in for that long! Gah you mean I have to get back in the shower after 40 minutes? Gah. Curly hair feels like a lot of work. But ya know, I will force myself to try it just for you, mira-chen
Is the gel that you use called the "Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus bla bla really long name souffle?"
I'm lazy too so I don't do it as often as a I should and jsut deal with witch hair. Though if needed, it works a wonder so it's a more occasional thing. Also I tend to wash my hair in a basin, leaning forward over it, so I don't need to go into the shower for it. I just wash, put conditioner in, pop a shower cap over the hair, and an old t-shirt around my neck for drips, and do whatever I want for that time. Then rinse off with the hand held shower head or a pitcher if no easy to reach shower head is available. Basin methos also means it takes me 5 minutes or so to wash my hair when not long conditioning. Ultimate lazy planning. :D

Yes, it's the Curling souffle. Use a tiny bit to start and increase with every wash as needed. I put too much on the ends last time and they were sticky. The top of my hair I put on less and it was wonderful. Again I put it on dripping wet hair. None of this halfway dry thing. My hair magically turns into sludge pond seaweed with that.

My hair doesn't like AVG either.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Lapushka, i've heard a lot about that product but have never tried it because I believe that it has coconut oil or proteins in it (both of which my hair despise)... I could be wrong though I'm not exactly sure!

In the meantime does anyone have any other recommendations for protein and silicone free, low sulfate or even sulfate free shampoos? Or a super thick protein/silicone free conditioner other than the GVP Conditioning Balm (which I plan on purchasing sometime soon)? I want to avoid cones since I am so prone to buildup and I would need a second conditioner if I plan on trying the WCC method. Don't worry folks, I'm taking it slow but I just thought that I'd ask before the momentum of this thread burns out! ;) Thank you!!!

ETA: To answer my own question, coconut oil is the third ingredient and it does have silk protein :P
Zut zut!

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil*, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Magnifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Melia Azadiratcha (Neem) Seed Oil,Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed oil, Sorbitol Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Caprylyl Glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract

Yeah. My hair doesn't like plain coconut oil either, and I'm protein sensitive, but this... I can handle for some odd reason and it works really well. YMMV of course, we're not all alike. If it's on sale or something, I'd still give it a shot! ;) :)

Pearly~91
July 12th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I don't have any helpful advise, other than to keep calm and try different things. I'm glad that you've seen some improvement already!

MsPharaohMoan
July 12th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Such a great thread. Love the OP, so creative. Happy you're sucking it up? :lol:

lapushka
July 12th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Such a great thread. Love the OP, so creative. Happy you're sucking it up? :lol:

Or, aka experimenting with products. That's half the fun of it right there! For me, at least. ;) :lol:

Mufasa
July 12th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I'm lazy too so I don't do it as often as a I should and jsut deal with witch hair. Though if needed, it works a wonder so it's a more occasional thing. Also I tend to wash my hair in a basin, leaning forward over it, so I don't need to go into the shower for it. I just wash, put conditioner in, pop a shower cap over the hair, and an old t-shirt around my neck for drips, and do whatever I want for that time. Then rinse off with the hand held shower head or a pitcher if no easy to reach shower head is available. Basin methos also means it takes me 5 minutes or so to wash my hair when not long conditioning. Ultimate lazy planning. :D

Yes, it's the Curling souffle. Use a tiny bit to start and increase with every wash as needed. I put too much on the ends last time and they were sticky. The top of my hair I put on less and it was wonderful. Again I put it on dripping wet hair. None of this halfway dry thing. My hair magically turns into sludge pond seaweed with that.

My hair doesn't like AVG either.

You're lazy, your hair doesn't like AVG, and the halfway dry thing is no bueno absolutely no bueno...are we twins or sometin' ?????????? :hooched:
How clever, how clever. Great technique. I'll consider overcoming my laziness with this method (no promises though).

Mufasa
July 12th, 2016, 04:23 PM
I don't have any helpful advise, other than to keep calm and try different things. I'm glad that you've seen some improvement already!

Hahaha KEEP CALM AND TAME THE FRIZZ Thanks! :P

Awww I love you too internet stranger! I can't lie and say the clouds have parted and the sun is beaming upon my bouncing locks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to blind anyone with the shine of radiating hair health. LOL The frizz is real but subsiding and at least I've got techniques to try and time to burn reading ingredient lists in the drugstore while teenage employees stare at me and timidly ask me if I need help 300 times in 45 minutes. Yes, sir, I need your suggestions for low porosity, course hair that hates coconut oil, protein, and any traces of aloe. If you could also avoid glycerin, that would be an added bonus. Thank you. :bowtome:

But I DID buy the GVP conditioning balm and it is sooooooo thick and moisturizing and yummy smelling. But gosh dammit it's one ugly bottle. It's probably so cheap because they save on the product design. If it wasn't recommended here I would have never given it a chance lol

Or, aka experimenting with products. That's half the fun of it right there! For me, at least. ;) :lol:
Oh I love reading ingredient lists, is that weird? Hair experiments. You never know what you're gonna get. I swear Hagrid has a mind of his own.

missrandie
July 12th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Hahaha KEEP CALM AND TAME THE FRIZZ Thanks! :P

Awww I love you too internet stranger! I can't lie and say the clouds have parted and the sun is beaming upon my bouncing locks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to blind anyone with the shine of radiating hair health. LOL The frizz is real but subsiding and at least I've got techniques to try and time to burn reading ingredient lists in the drugstore while teenage employees stare at me and timidly ask me if I need help 300 times in 45 minutes. Yes, sir, I need your suggestions for low porosity, course hair that hates coconut oil, protein, and any traces of aloe. If you could also avoid glycerin, that would be an added bonus. Thank you. :bowtome:

But I DID buy the GVP conditioning balm and it is sooooooo thick and moisturizing and yummy smelling. But gosh dammit it's one ugly bottle. It's probably so cheap because they save on the product design. If it wasn't recommended here I would have never given it a chance lol

Oh I love reading ingredient lists, is that weird? Hair experiments. You never know what you're gonna get. I swear Hagrid has a mind of his own.

Hagrid will come into his own with the right encouragement :)

I love ugly bottle products. Cause doggone it, you pay for that pretty bottle! And if I don't have to pay for a pretty bottle, I'm a happy girl.

sakuraemily
July 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Everyone here has already given you such great advice.
I don't have that hair type but since you said an SMT does nothing for you, I want to give you my favourite hair mask recipe. I avoid any hair masks that involve conditioners since they will touch my scalp and conditioner on my scalp makes me shed too.

Take equal parts of coconut milk(not oil) and yoghurt(with fat), add 1 or more teaspoons of olive oil, mix well, warm if you want and slather hair in it. Plastic bag for however long you like and wash as usual. I usually put in a 1/4 cup of the milk and yoghurt and 3 tsp oil, for my little over shoulder length hair. I freeze leftovers.
I suppose you can use any oil you like, I just refer olive beccause it's the most softening for me.

The yoghurt or coconut milk alone don't work for me nearly as well as the combination. Not saying it'll solve your problems, but it's a great mask, great moisturizing treatment. Makes my hair feel silky again after I've heat fried them.

You said you don't like coconut oil, but coconut milk works differently I find. Coconut oil makes my hair weirdly dry but this mask works good.

lapushka
July 13th, 2016, 07:13 AM

It's all part of the process. ;) I went nuts at first trying to read ingredients' lists. Now, I don't care if there's silicones in there. I know what my hair likes, so I don't mind and don't look as closely as I once did. As long as my shampoo has sulfates and no silicones, I'm fine. And as long as my conditioner has silicones, I'm fine too. Easy peasy. ;) :D

reilly0167
July 13th, 2016, 09:23 AM
My go to poo and condish is Loreal total repair. Aussie total miracle is good too. My weekly deep conditioning is olive oil, honey and castor oil, mix all up apply pit plastic bag or caps and sit for however long you wish ( I do 30 minutes to an hour). But to switch things up I do coconut milk soak. I use full fat coconut milk, add a bit of honey and castor oil or use whatever oils you and your hair likes in a big bowl to dunk my hair in and the bowl helps to catch the liquid and not going down the drain; work it in and let sit for however long you wish any leftovers you can freeze for next time. Since my hair is curly I find that, just co-washing helps with the wash out process. You are on the right track, and soon you will have your very own routine.
Oh forgot to mention these treatment are drippy, I am gonna try the xanthum gum to thicken it up, otherwise a towel around the neck.

Mufasa
July 13th, 2016, 04:09 PM

I love ugly bottle products. Cause doggone it, you pay for that pretty bottle! And if I don't have to pay for a pretty bottle, I'm a happy girl.

I love the product, but it's so ugly my previous self wouldn't have been drawn to purchasing it! Maybe I'm just very product vain lol but I hope that the other Harris lurkers struggling with dry hair really give this product a try because it is seriously holy grail. The best conditioner I have ever used.

Everyone here has already given you such great advice.
I don't have that hair type but since you said an SMT does nothing for you, I want to give you my favourite hair mask recipe. I avoid any hair masks that involve conditioners since they will touch my scalp and conditioner on my scalp makes me shed too.

Take equal parts of coconut milk(not oil) and yoghurt(with fat), add 1 or more teaspoons of olive oil, mix well, warm if you want and slather hair in it. Plastic bag for however long you like and wash as usual. I usually put in a 1/4 cup of the milk and yoghurt and 3 tsp oil, for my little over shoulder length hair. I freeze leftovers.
I suppose you can use any oil you like, I just refer olive beccause it's the most softening for me.

The yoghurt or coconut milk alone don't work for me nearly as well as the combination. Not saying it'll solve your problems, but it's a great mask, great moisturizing treatment. Makes my hair feel silky again after I've heat fried them.

You said you don't like coconut oil, but coconut milk works differently I find. Coconut oil makes my hair weirdly dry but this mask works good.

Your hair is so beautiful and shinyyyyyy!!! Wow! Is this your (not so) secret potion? Will hagrid evolve if I concoct this brew? Thank you so much!

It's all part of the process. ;) I went nuts at first trying to read ingredients' lists. Now, I don't care if there's silicones in there. I know what my hair likes, so I don't mind and don't look as closely as I once did. As long as my shampoo has sulfates and no silicones, I'm fine. And as long as my conditioner has silicones, I'm fine too. Easy peasy. ;) :D

It must be so nice to be in a phase where you know what works and just do it! Kind of like being older, more established, with a size able life savings and sturdy job. The experimental phase feels like the teenage/young adult years where you're just winging everything and become easily frustrated. Luckily this forum is helping me transition into an adult hagrid. Is this the best place on the Internet or what!?!

My go to poo and condish is Loreal total repair. Aussie total miracle is good too. My weekly deep conditioning is olive oil, honey and castor oil, mix all up apply pit plastic bag or caps and sit for however long you wish ( I do 30 minutes to an hour). But to switch things up I do coconut milk soak. I use full fat coconut milk, add a bit of honey and castor oil or use whatever oils you and your hair likes in a big bowl to dunk my hair in and the bowl helps to catch the liquid and not going down the drain; work it in and let sit for however long you wish any leftovers you can freeze for next time. Since my hair is curly I find that, just co-washing helps with the wash out process. You are on the right track, and soon you will have your very own routine.
Oh forgot to mention these treatment are drippy, I am gonna try the xanthum gum to thicken it up, otherwise a towel around the neck.

Thank you!!!! I really want to try these different recipes! Unfortunately, I've tried the L'oreal Total Repair as well as the Aussie Total Miracle and they don't work for my hair :( I think that my hair just easily gets buildup from cones

ephemeri
July 13th, 2016, 07:51 PM

I agree lapushka! I love trying new products. I find it to be exciting, and definitely fun. But always a bit dangerous because there are oh so many to try.... :o

Also agreed missrandie. I sort of love the GVP bottles for being so plain. They kinda remind me of the labels on food items in that show LOST. ;)

Anya15
July 14th, 2016, 03:27 AM
My hair gets overloaded very easily too! Could we possibly be hair twins?! Or hair cousins?! sisters?
I should buy a spray bottle. There is a curl refresher recipe in the cg handbook, but it's just 2 quarts of boiled water with 5 drops lavender essential oil and then cooled and put in a spray bottle... to "cleanse and revive your curls" The other recipes look more involved and perhaps more valuable though!

I thought about getting a ficcare maximas for "wear it up" days because I think that they look elegant but I'd need a Large and it would be $58 so I'm just kinda "meh" about it. Although they do make buns un-frumpy if that makes sense.

Aha, maybe we are? :D

I am glad you are seeing some changes in your hair :)

I just make a braid of some sort. Or a cinnabun with a claw clip (my hair is layered, so after about 10 minutes it turns into a messy bun.) I also like sectioned buns and half-ups.
Can't afford to buy a Ficcare :p

lapushka
July 14th, 2016, 05:33 AM
It must be so nice to be in a phase where you know what works and just do it! Kind of like being older, more established, with a size able life savings and sturdy job. The experimental phase feels like the teenage/young adult years where you're just winging everything and become easily frustrated. Luckily this forum is helping me transition into an adult hagrid. Is this the best place on the Internet or what!?!

Great comparison! Enjoy the "growing up" stage, because it is fun to discover what works and what doesn't. And it's fun too to pamper the hair here and there and to gradually ease into a routine of some sorts. I'm glad some things are working for you. Easy does it. :) And if there's anything we can help you with, when you run across a hiccup, just tell us, we'll try and help! :)

sakuraemily
July 14th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Thank you Mufasa! It's partly my genes I have to thank and partly avoidance of heat. Don't know for sure, if this can tame Hagrid but its worth a try and will do no harm if no great good either. I shed less on the days I do this treatment anyway.

Someone else here had recommended sunkissalba on youtube, who I think is worth a check out too.

mira-chan
July 14th, 2016, 11:57 AM
You're lazy, your hair doesn't like AVG, and the halfway dry thing is no bueno absolutely no bueno...are we twins or sometin' ?????????? :hooched:
How clever, how clever. Great technique. I'll consider overcoming my laziness with this method (no promises though).
Quite possibly. We do have very similar hair types.

For visual comparison on a not so good hair day:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/length/20160711_202310_zps0mxra1d1.jpg
Proper witch hair right there I think.

Mufasa
July 14th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Awww! You went through the bother of posting a pic for me? That's so sweet!

I think our hair may be related, but since yours is longer I think it expands less horizontally than mine does! I'll try to post a pic later next week and then maybe we can look into applying at Hogwarts together.

Your hair is beautiful though, it has that sassy Diane Von Furstenberg vibe. Let's stop experimenting and just make frizz fashionable again gosh dammit! Rebel against the hair care industry!!! Mutiny!!!

mira-chan
July 14th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Awww! You went through the bother of posting a pic for me? That's so sweet!

I think our hair may be related, but since yours is longer I think it expands less horizontally than mine does! I'll try to post a pic later next week and then maybe we can look into applying at Hogwarts together.

Your hair is beautiful though, it has that sassy Diane Von Furstenberg vibe. Let's stop experimenting and just make frizz fashionable again gosh dammit! Rebel against the hair care industry!!! Mutiny!!!

Thanks! It does sound like we are hair twins (and also in laziness in care of it.) I've had a life long mutiny against the hair industry. I've never had my hair cut in a salon, and have never even blowdried it.

Length does help with the floofiness. Mine used to stand out all around my head a good 4 inches at times when it was hip length or shorter. Forceful containment in buns is my usual method of taming though.

Can't wait til Hogwarts, I hope you don't mind being friends with a Slytherin (thank you Pottermore). :D We can be partners in potions, I'm good at that. Also I have my outfit ready.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/hair%20styles/halloween06.jpg

lapushka
July 15th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Oh God, I could post here too. Thick 2b/c hair is atrocious, a lion's mane - depending on how much it likes the product you're throwing at it. :lol:

Anya15
July 15th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Oh God, I could post here too. Thick 2b/c hair is atrocious, a lion's mane - depending on how much it likes the product you're throwing at it. :lol:

AGREED. My hair looks its worst on wash day these days..is this normal? :lol:

missrandie
July 15th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks! It does sound like we are hair twins (and also in laziness in care of it.) I've had a life long mutiny against the hair industry. I've never had my hair cut in a salon, and have never even blowdried it.

Length does help with the floofiness. Mine used to stand out all around my head a good 4 inches at times when it was hip length or shorter. Forceful containment in buns is my usual method of taming though.

Can't wait til Hogwarts, I hope you don't mind being friends with a Slytherin (thank you Pottermore). :D We can be partners in potions, I'm good at that. Also I have my outfit ready.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/hair%20styles/halloween06.jpg

Okay, I officially want that cloak!

lapushka
July 15th, 2016, 04:01 PM
AGREED. My hair looks its worst on wash day these days..is this normal? :lol:

Oh yeah, it gets big and ready to take on the world. :lol:

Mufasa
July 15th, 2016, 07:17 PM

What?!??! You already bought your cloak? But we were supposed to go school shopping together!!!! :(
Dammit, I have to grow to hip length to reduce some of the horizontal expansion? haha that's like 3 years away. Dagnabbbittttttt can't you just brew me a potion, mira-chen?
I wanna post a pic of my hair too for comparison (but the laziness is real lol. Just need better hair pics!!!!)

Mufasa
July 15th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah, it gets big and ready to take on the world. :lol:

I once had a straight-haired friend tell me that I just need to use Dove because it smoothed out the girl's hair in this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo_lbSFFZ8
If only it were that simple, honey...
:afro::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
and wash day is always the worst ...it's like an unwritten rule or something LOL

KittyBird
July 16th, 2016, 01:43 AM
I once had a straight-haired friend tell me that I just need to use Dove because it smoothed out the girl's hair in this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo_lbSFFZ8
and wash day is always the worst ...it's like an unwritten rule or something LOL
It's strange what some people believe. When I was younger, the other girls always said that you shouldn't use more than a coin sized amount of conditioner (yes, rinse out conditioner), otherwise your hair would be weighed down. I believed that until I reached my twenties, and I always wondered why I looked like an electrocuted lion when I was doing the "right" things for my hair. I also ripped through it with a brush starting at the top, which didn't make things better. :p

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 03:06 AM

It is! I think 2b/c iii hair is a type on all its own (whether it be F, C, or M). Do we have a thread on that yet, I wonder? Maybe we can call it "Official Hagrid's hair thread", just for that hair type. The honors are yours. ;) :lol:

It's strange what some people believe. When I was younger, the other girls always said that you shouldn't use more than a coin sized amount of conditioner (yes, rinse out conditioner), otherwise your hair would be weighed down. I believed that until I reached my twenties, and I always wondered why I looked like an electrocuted lion when I was doing the "right" things for my hair. I also ripped through it with a brush starting at the top, which didn't make things better. :p

And people wonder why I condition twice, yes twice with heavy conditioners & do LOC and sometimes rinse-out oil too? Well, yeah, my shampoos are a little harsh and I use a lot, but... anyway. ;) :p

florenonite
July 16th, 2016, 04:55 AM

Whereas I find even a coin-sized amount of condish makes my hair greasy :lol:

Ophidian
July 16th, 2016, 05:29 AM
I just wanted to say I love this thread :D

Anya15
July 16th, 2016, 06:15 AM
It is! I think 2b/c iii hair is a type on all its own (whether it be F, C, or M). Do we have a thread on that yet, I wonder? Maybe we can call it "Official Hagrid's hair thread", just for that hair type. The honors are yours. ;) :lol:

Yes! OMG. We need a thread. 2b/c & iii is an odd hair type.

My friends tell me not to use conditioner. I know that I need it,but not too much when it's humid. And a lot of it when it's dry outside. :lol:

I'm glad you guys have problems with wash day too. I thought I was the only one! My hair looks its best on the second day, but by then my beautiful wurls have fallen out. :cry: I have to choose - wurls with uncontrolled frizz or well-behaved hair without the wurls.

Mufasa
July 16th, 2016, 02:06 PM

Ooooh, Kittybird! I see that you did a big chop and cut off the black section of your hair! I could recognize your hair anywhere, I swear! You're hair looks so healthy! Have you had to tweak your routine in significant ways because of the chop? I see that your wurls are more ringlety then they were when your hair was bcl :)

And yes, whenever I see the directions on the back of a product recommended "a small, dime size amount," I'm always like LOL then proceed to pour a palmfull. :p
I read somewhere that for thick-haired folks, the size of the coin in "coin-sized amount" should be about the circumference of your ponytail if that makes any sense.

Mufasa
July 16th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Yes! OMG. We need a thread. 2b/c & iii is an odd hair type.

My friends tell me not to use conditioner. I know that I need it,but not too much when it's humid. And a lot of it when it's dry outside. :lol:

I'm glad you guys have problems with wash day too. I thought I was the only one! My hair looks its best on the second day, but by then my beautiful wurls have fallen out. :cry: I have to choose - wurls with uncontrolled frizz or well-behaved hair without the wurls.

SAME.
It takes a day for the beast to settle down. Just think of your hair as a cat that doesn't like baths. It takes a day for it to settle down and stop hissing haha :P

Mufasa
July 16th, 2016, 02:12 PM
For those that have recommended a keratin treatment, I demand that you come forward! I wanna learn a bit more about personal experiences with it if anyone has either done it themselves or in a salon!

And yes, Hagrids need their own thread. Mutiny!!!

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 03:11 PM
I *love* you for starting a whole new thread, OP!

KittyBird
July 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Ooooh, Kittybird! I see that you did a big chop and cut off the black section of your hair! I could recognize your hair anywhere, I swear! You're hair looks so healthy! Have you had to tweak your routine in significant ways because of the chop? I see that your wurls are more ringlety then they were when your hair was bcl :)

And yes, whenever I see the directions on the back of a product recommended "a small, dime size amount," I'm always like LOL then proceed to pour a palmfull. :p
I read somewhere that for thick-haired folks, the size of the coin in "coin-sized amount" should be about the circumference of your ponytail if that makes any sense.

Aww, thank you! I haven't had to tweak it much, I just try to use less products, which is harder than it sounds. I'm used to having tons of thirsty hair, so not globbing on palmfuls of conditioner and several pumps of leave-in feels almost wrong. :p I put on tiny amounts of curl creme and serum every day to smooth down frizzies, and I've decided to not comb at all between washes, in order to keep my wurls looking somewhat nice and defined and avoid triangle head. I'm so excited about my hair being more wurly and ringlety, it's exactly what I was hoping for. I've always been so jealous of you wurly/curly ladies (and guys) :D

mira-chan
July 17th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Okay, I officially want that cloak!
Thanks. :D I made it a while ago. It's actually not that hard to sew.

What?!??! You already bought your cloak? But we were supposed to go school shopping together!!!! :(
Dammit, I have to grow to hip length to reduce some of the horizontal expansion? haha that's like 3 years away. Dagnabbbittttttt can't you just brew me a potion, mira-chen?
I wanna post a pic of my hair too for comparison (but the laziness is real lol. Just need better hair pics!!!!)
I cheated and made my own cloak. I'm cheap in addition to lazy. :silly: I don't want to pay Diagon Alley prices for cloaks. We can buy the other things together? I can always use more potions ingredients and books....

I'm not sure how well the potion I brew would transport over mail though. We don't have an owl outpost here and the cats would eat any owl I attempt to own.

(The cloak is from a former cosplay costume I made. I have since added sleeves to it and use it to scare people at work on Halloween. I've taught classes in it. :magic:)

pailin
July 17th, 2016, 09:54 PM

I'm only a ii and I've always felt like a was doing something wrong with the amounts of conditioner I used, but did it anyway because it was never enough. I see people write about curlies needing so much conditioner and I'm like, I'm not even a curly, but my hair has exactly that out of control conditioner habit.

spidermom
July 17th, 2016, 10:39 PM
It seems to matter more that I spend time massaging and working the conditioner through my length than it does to use more conditioner. I think a lot of us - not speaking to anyone in particular here - waste a lot of conditioner because we think more is better. In reality, more is more money down the drain. Once I've got a small amount (about the amount needed to cover the end of my thumb for one-half of my hair) worked all the way from about shoulders to ends, I've covered my rinse-out conditioning needs.

pailin
July 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM
There's definitely some truth to that. Actually one of the things about picking the right conditioner is that I don't feel the need to use as much. And conditioning twice (CWC) with less conditioner gets me farther than just once with more. When I was growing up we pretty much always had whatever was cheap, and it was never moisturizing enough- detangling was always a nightmare and the winter static was insane. My mother still thinks I always want Pantene (not anymore- I have other things I like even better) because when I first tried it, it did so much more for my hair. Spending more gets me a conditioner that actually works and I use a little less. But if I try too hard to use less it's like it just doesn't make it all the way through my hair.

lapushka
July 18th, 2016, 05:33 AM
To coat my hair, just lightly coat it, I need about a palmful of conditioner - no joke. And that is just rubbed in well, but the length kind of absorbs it well, and we just go over it - one pass, each time.

mira-chan
July 18th, 2016, 07:59 AM
To coat my hair, just lightly coat it, I need about a palmful of conditioner - no joke. And that is just rubbed in well, but the length kind of absorbs it well, and we just go over it - one pass, each time.

About the same here. More actually if I am doing a deep conditioning and working it into the roots too. If just the length, then yes about a palm full or palm and half. Amount depends on conditioner and the state of my hair that week. This is worked in well so no excess. :shrug:

Moonfall
July 18th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Just letting you know my hair is the same :rolleyes:

Mufasa
July 18th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks. :D I made it a while ago. It's actually not that hard to sew.

I cheated and made my own cloak. I'm cheap in addition to lazy. :silly: I don't want to pay Diagon Alley prices for cloaks. We can buy the other things together? I can always use more potions ingredients and books....

I'm not sure how well the potion I brew would transport over mail though. We don't have an owl outpost here and the cats would eat any owl I attempt to own.

(The cloak is from a former cosplay costume I made. I have since added sleeves to it and use it to scare people at work on Halloween. I've taught classes in it. :magic:)

This is just too funny! :p:applause

Mufasa
July 18th, 2016, 07:34 PM
I've had some luck with the lazy person's method of deep conditioning: I just slather my hair in conditioner in the shower, put a plastic cap on, and let the stream of warm water blast my cap and heat the hair up :p

I would leave it in longer than the normal time it takes to finish my shower but I ain't got time for dattttttt

And yes, I need a good sized gob to coat my hair. Can't be stingy with the conditioner or else bad things happen.

yahirwaO.o
July 21st, 2016, 05:47 PM
I can mimic the witch look with braids and brushing the braid waves. I kinda like the wild effect! Again I like Hagrid so much and kinda fancy the idea of being mistaken for a wizard or a lost member of Black Sabbath!

http://rockgears.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/black-sabbath-1971.jpg