PDA

View Full Version : Starting all over with my SD :(

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I've been using selenium sulfide 2.5% shampoo for over 3 years now. Its been great, keeps my SD under control and stops a flare in its tracks with only one use. Now my insurance company has decided it will no longer cover prescriptions for any medication that isn't approved by the FDA and guess what isn't cover? Thats right, my shampoo isn't so I had the choice of buying it myself or trying a different prescription.
Was planning on buying it myself, after all how much can a 4oz bottle cost? Turns out its a lot, $110 for one bottle:angry:. So my Dr decide to put me on ketoconazole shampoo. Figured this would be ok, after all lots of people use it for their SD with good results and I've used the same med for other skin issues, worked great.

I'm having a very slight flare so I figured this would would be a good time to try out the ketoconazole. I applied it to my scalp, rubbed it in and let it site a few minutes. Nice enough shampoo and it doesn't smell bad like the other does. All is good.

woke up this morning with greasy, limp hair and so much itching I had both hands in my hair digging at my scalp. My entire scalp is cover with dry powdery ick that I keep digging off. I know I'm not sensitive to ketoconazole but it seems obvious that its not doing any good for my SD:( Luckily I still have a bottle of selenium sulfide left so I rewashed with it, feels better already.

I'm really hoping a OTC poo containing sulfide will be enough but I don't think it will so its back to trying new meds and different shampoo. This sucks, I don't know why selenium sulfide isn't FDA approved, there is plenty of research proving its safe and effective for SD and other fungal issues. I hate my head today.

Anje
July 8th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure selenium sulfide is the active ingredient in Selsun Blue. Not sure of the concentration, but it's readily available OTC.

ETA: Yeah, Selsun Blue is 1% selenium sulfide. Might be enough.

Lanalavallama
July 8th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Aww, no man. I do not have experience in dealing with SD, but it's impossible not to sympathize. I hope you find a solution soon. :blossom:

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure selenium sulfide is the active ingredient in Selsun Blue. Not sure of the concentration, but it's readily available OTC.

ETA: Yeah, Selsun Blue is 1% selenium sulfide. Might be enough.

Yeah, I knew that. I had used it in the past and it didn't really help but I was also using it like regular shampoo instead of treating my scalp. I plan on getting some and giving it a try, really hope it helps. SD is one reason I kept my hair short for so many years, like army buzz cut short:(

I finally get the SD under control, start to grow my hair and now this happens. Its really discouraging.

Anje
July 8th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Silly question, but is your shampoo available in Canada?

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Seems it is available in Canada but its a three hours drive and I don't have a passport. Maybe I can find a place that ships to the US.

lapis_lazuli
July 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I have no advice, just wanted to offer support :grouphug:
I really hope you get this sorted out soon.

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 04:35 PM
That is such an odd reaction to the Nizoral. Was it the 2%? Well, if your scalp and hair don't like it, then you need to find other options, for sure. It's YMMV even, and probably especially, on this.

pailin
July 8th, 2016, 05:32 PM
If the otc version isn't good enough, you might see if some kind of appeal can get it covered since the alternatives don't work.
Selenium sulfide may be one of those really old ingredients that never had to undergo the kind of testing required today. There are a bunch of things that were basically grandfathered in, and insurance companies sometimes won't pay for them.

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 06:32 PM
That is such an odd reaction to the Nizoral. Was it the 2%? Well, if your scalp and hair don't like it, then you need to find other options, for sure. It's YMMV even, and probably especially, on this.

Yes, its the 2%. Its a transparent red and doesn't have much of a scent. Really disappointing it didn't work, I was really hoping it would.

I was thinking about contacting my insurance, see if I could get some kind of waiver for it. They would probably want me to try all other prescription options first though, they are jerks like that.

spidermom
July 8th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Have you clarified lately? The ketoconazole shampoo was so nice with my hair and my SD that I'm really astounded by you having such a bad reaction and am fishing around for reasons, like ketoconazole loosening but not washing away buildup. Or maybe your water is hard? Mine is soft.

I do of course hope that you find an affordable solution.

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Yeas, I clarified just a few days ago. I have moderately hard water but this wasn't from the water, it was teeny tiny powdery flakes of skin.

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Yes, its the 2%. Its a transparent red and doesn't have much of a scent. Really disappointing it didn't work, I was really hoping it would.

I was thinking about contacting my insurance, see if I could get some kind of waiver for it. They would probably want me to try all other prescription options first though, they are jerks like that.

Here the substance is pink, like a bright-bright pink. This is what our bottle looks like:
http://www.apotheekdecolvenaer.be/UserFiles/Uploads/images/Products/0091090.jpg

It does vary country to country, though, the color, the bottle, everything!